Microcell and Internet Connectivity

Contributor

Microcell and Internet Connectivity

I got my free MicroCell a few weeks ago and went through the setup process which was rather straightforward.  I was able to connect easily using either Option ‘A’ or ‘B’.  The MicroCell “connects” and all phones in the home show MicroCell.  This seems to work as advertised.

My issue is with internet and VPN.  In either configuration listed above I have continual internet access problems both with wired and wireless setups.  I currently have three computers in my home with access through the wireless router and all three get intermittent internet connectivity when the MicroCell is operational.

Additionally, I work from home quite often and connect to my office network via a VPN.  With the spotty internet connection, it is impossible to keep a VPN connection alive.

I have used my one free call to AT&T setup and they tell me all is as it should be with my setup.  I have been told I will be required to pay for any further help regarding this setup.

I have the following:

AT&T High Speed Internet

Motorola MSTATEA modem

D-Link DIR-625 Router (two years old)

Changed my MTU to 1492 (per phone call to AT&T)

Is there anything else I should be doing or am I merely doomed to failure with this?  The Microcell would be great for our home considering our cell reception level here.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4 (691 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Microcell and Internet Connectivity

You need to push AT&T support, politely, but push them hard none the less. I was on the phone for the better part of 10 days when I had issues last March and was able to get an $80 credit to my phone bill, which included the $50 charge for someone to come out to my house and troubleshoot. Fortunately I got it fixed before they came out so I canceled the appointment and actully "made" $50. I have multiple laptops, iPhones, and iTouchs using my wireless connection and never see any problems when we are making of receiving calls on our cell phones. We even stream movies with no problems while on the cells. This is especially problematic for you because you have AT&T internet and it should be easy for them to get their products to play nicely. Calling support is a joke but you need to be persistent.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (674 Views)
Contributor

How do I do this on a Mac (OS X.6)? I've been on the phone with att, comcast and ooma.  all useless.   Activated but 3G light continues to flash

Port forwarding shouldn't be necessary but after I was updated in March, that is the only way I can get my MicroCell to work. And to be honest, it has been trouble-free since, even after power outages. This is what I have in my notes on port forwarding:

1. DHCP is on
  2. Port blocking is either turned off of allowing ports 4500 and 500
  3. MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the MicroCell
  4. IPSec Pass-Through in enabled
  5. Block Fragmented Packets is disabled
  6. Make sure that NAT is enabled on only one device (the modem or the router)
  7. Make sure your router is using it’s latest firmware
  8. TCP/UDP Ports:

123/UDP

443/TCP

4500/UDP

500/UDP

9.   You may also have to assign a static IP address to the MicroCell based on its MAC address

Additional Troubleshooting:

1. Ping or perform an NSLookup on femtocell.wireless.att.com. If the address does not resolve to 12.230.x.x, manually map the name to the IP address or change to an alternate DNS server.
  2. Temporarily disable Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI). If this resolves the issue, re-enable SPI and contact your router manufacturer.
Message 3 of 4 (589 Views)
ACE - Master

oakley34 wrote:

How do I do this on a Mac (OS X.6)? I've been on the phone with att, comcast and ooma.  all useless.   Activated but 3G light continues to flash

Port forwarding shouldn't be necessary but after I was updated in March, that is the only way I can get my MicroCell to work. And to be honest, it has been trouble-free since, even after power outages. This is what I have in my notes on port forwarding:

1. DHCP is on
  2. Port blocking is either turned off of allowing ports 4500 and 500
  3. MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the MicroCell
  4. IPSec Pass-Through in enabled
  5. Block Fragmented Packets is disabled
  6. Make sure that NAT is enabled on only one device (the modem or the router)
  7. Make sure your router is using it’s latest firmware
  8. TCP/UDP Ports:

123/UDP

443/TCP

4500/UDP

500/UDP

9.   You may also have to assign a static IP address to the MicroCell based on its MAC address

Additional Troubleshooting:

1. Ping or perform an NSLookup on femtocell.wireless.att.com. If the address does not resolve to 12.230.x.x, manually map the name to the IP address or change to an alternate DNS server.
  2. Temporarily disable Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI). If this resolves the issue, re-enable SPI and contact your router manufacturer.

Those are the config settings for the AEBS router. Other types of routers have similar settings although not as obvious. The setup is: modem (DSL,cable) -> router -> MicroCell.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (573 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.