Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 26, 2011
4:07:28 AM
Microcell/Mifi question
I have the Microcell & am getting the Mifi Hotspot device. I was wondering if anyone knows whether I can use the Mifi with the Microcell? The Mifi is 3G, so technically it should work, but I couldn't find anything out about it. Thanks in advance!
I have the Microcell & am getting the Mifi Hotspot device. I was wondering if anyone knows whether I can use the Mifi with the Microcell? The Mifi is 3G, so technically it should work, but I couldn't find anything out about it. Thanks in advance!
(\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Microcell/Mifi question

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 7:59:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm not familiar with the MiFi but is that an AT&T product? The only phones that work on the MicroCell are AT&T registered 3G phones. No other device that I know of will work.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

I'm not familiar with the MiFi but is that an AT&T product? The only phones that work on the MicroCell are AT&T registered 3G phones. No other device that I know of will work.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Microcell/Mifi question

2 of 11 (1,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 8:35:21 AM
(0)
Guru
Yes it's an At&t product. It's not a phone, but a small 3G Wifi device you use with your computer, laptop, iPad to get on the internet.
Yes it's an At&t product. It's not a phone, but a small 3G Wifi device you use with your computer, laptop, iPad to get on the internet.
(\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

3 of 11 (1,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 10:09:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Doesn't sound like it would work with the MicroCell because it's designed for cellular phone calls only. I'd suggest you call support but who knows what kind of answer you'd get.

Doesn't sound like it would work with the MicroCell because it's designed for cellular phone calls only. I'd suggest you call support but who knows what kind of answer you'd get.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 10:40:18 AM
(0)
Guru

The latest word I've heard is that AT&T is blocking data-only devices from being registered with a Microcell.

Even if you could get your MiFi to work with the Microcell, you wouldn't like it.

1. The MiFi would continue to use its data allocation despite the data actually going over your internet connection.

2. The upload cap will limit you to about 130 kbps or so in the outbound direction.

You'd do far, far better simply buying a cheap WiFi access point and hooking that up in parallel with your Microcell. In fact, you probably already have a router in front of the Microcell anyway, and if it's of a recent vintage, then it probably already has WiFi capabilities.

The latest word I've heard is that AT&T is blocking data-only devices from being registered with a Microcell.

Even if you could get your MiFi to work with the Microcell, you wouldn't like it.

1. The MiFi would continue to use its data allocation despite the data actually going over your internet connection.

2. The upload cap will limit you to about 130 kbps or so in the outbound direction.

You'd do far, far better simply buying a cheap WiFi access point and hooking that up in parallel with your Microcell. In fact, you probably already have a router in front of the Microcell anyway, and if it's of a recent vintage, then it probably already has WiFi capabilities.

5 of 11 (990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 10:41:20 AM
(0)
Guru
It more than likely won't work over the Microcell, but I was thinking maybe it would since it is assigned a phone number & you can add a texting plan to it. I'm getting it tomorrow, so we'll see if it works. I'd rather not call CS because ok know how that call will go. Lol! Thanks for your help.
It more than likely won't work over the Microcell, but I was thinking maybe it would since it is assigned a phone number & you can add a texting plan to it. I'm getting it tomorrow, so we'll see if it works. I'd rather not call CS because ok know how that call will go. Lol! Thanks for your help.

6 of 11 (990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 10:46:06 AM
(0)
Guru

nsayer wrote:

I don't need it at home, but was just going to see if it would work. I need the Mifi for when i'm on the go. Thanks!

nsayer wrote:

I don't need it at home, but was just going to see if it would work. I need the Mifi for when i'm on the go. Thanks!

7 of 11 (985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 10:49:36 AM
(0)
Guru

Then I don't understand the point of the question. The MiFi will certainly work when you're away from your Microcell. The only reason it wouldn't work if you're near the Microcell would be if you bought the Microcell because you have little or no macrocell signal where you live. But if you have a Microcell, then you almost certainly will be where you can have WiFi instead.

Then I don't understand the point of the question. The MiFi will certainly work when you're away from your Microcell. The only reason it wouldn't work if you're near the Microcell would be if you bought the Microcell because you have little or no macrocell signal where you live. But if you have a Microcell, then you almost certainly will be where you can have WiFi instead.

8 of 11 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 11:38:14 AM
(0)
Guru

nsayer wrote:

I was just asking because I wanted to see what speeds I would get compared to my dsl. I should've said that. I know that it will work on the go, was just gonna see if that would work. No biggie.

nsayer wrote:

I was just asking because I wanted to see what speeds I would get compared to my dsl. I should've said that. I know that it will work on the go, was just gonna see if that would work. No biggie.

9 of 11 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 5:43:15 PM
(0)
Guru

For what it's worth, I tried adding my iPad 2 to the microcell and I got a message saying this number is not allowed.  It's clearly set up to block you from adding a data device.

Not that I had any specific reason to used 3G on my iPad at home, I just thought it'd be interesting to try and have a little more consistent signal if the WiFi shut off.

For what it's worth, I tried adding my iPad 2 to the microcell and I got a message saying this number is not allowed.  It's clearly set up to block you from adding a data device.

Not that I had any specific reason to used 3G on my iPad at home, I just thought it'd be interesting to try and have a little more consistent signal if the WiFi shut off.

10 of 11 (930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 5:00:54 AM
(0)
Employee
if you need a microcell the MiFi is probably going to be useless in your home.
if you need a microcell the MiFi is probably going to be useless in your home.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 11 (595 Views)