MicroCell mounting bracket

Tutor

MicroCell mounting bracket

I want to suspend my MicroCell from the ceiling. The AT&T store said that they do not sell a bracket to mount the MicroCell. I wonder if anyone has fabricated a bracket or other mounting device?

An internet search for "MicroCell Mounting Bracket" and similar things always turns up the mounting for an external GPS antenna.

I have an idea for using a cut up 4" pipe fitting to hold the MicroCell. I wanted to check to see if anyone else had fabricated something.

Message 1 of 8 (756 Views)
Teacher

Re: MicroCell mounting bracket

Duct tape Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8 (657 Views)
Guru

You can't use duct tape for that! Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 8 (638 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Dr.Who wrote:

I want to suspend my MicroCell from the ceiling. 

Ok, I'll bite: why would you want to suspend your MicroCell from the ceiling? 

Message 4 of 8 (626 Views)
Guru

There was a report a while ago that someone bought a Microcell and when he got it home, it was bricked. When he called up AT&T he was told that the "tamper switch" had triggered and to take it back to the store. Well, apparently, that AT&T store's stock all had that problem - suggesting that the truck hit a hard enough bump to set them all off.

I bring this up only to suggest that because of this tamper switch, which is intended to brick the microcell if the case is opened, it's conceivable that the Microcell might be more sensitive to bumps and shocks than a similar solid-state device, like a WiFi router, would be. So if you're going to hang it from the ceiling... I'd suggest not dropping it.

Message 5 of 8 (610 Views)
Tutor

AFAIK, the tamper switch detects opening the case, not shock or vibration. This analysis http://www.anandtech.com/show/3626/att-3g-microcell-a-comprehensive-exploration/4 shows pictures of the inside.
Message 6 of 8 (516 Views)
Tutor

I want to mount the MicroCell on the ceiling so that it frees up real-estate on desks. Right now it is sitting on a computer, and sometimes is moved to the top of a fax machine. I also have my wireless access point suspended from the ceiling too.
Message 7 of 8 (514 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

Dr.Who wrote:
AFAIK, the tamper switch detects opening the case, not shock or vibration. 

Well, of course that's the intent. However, with the Microcell, what it's supposed to do and what it actually does are two different things.

In relation to this issue, there has been a report of Microcells that were bricked by their tamper switches straight from the store. The most credible explanation of that is that they were damaged in shipping, which simply tells me that the Microcell is likely slightly more damage-prone than an equivalent solid state device would be that lacked the switch.

Message 8 of 8 (475 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.