Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 30, 2010
2:24:19 PM
View profile
MicroCell dropping calls like crazy

I'm in the Bay area, picked up and installed the microcell about two weeks ago - no hiccups with the installation..

All the lights are on and my iPhone reads AT&T M-CELL with 5 bars all over the house.

I've got a 50MBit down/10MBit up connection which passes all the VOIP online tests with flying colors (very little jitter, 0.0 packet loss etc..) It's hooked to a reasonably new dual channel Cisco wireless router.

The problem is that Calls are failing all the time - while the bars stay solid at 5. Occasionally, I'll go a day or two without a dropped call, but then I'll have 5 or 6 dropped calls in a row. I've had to disable 3G on the iPhone just to maintain a conference call for more than 10 minutes without dropping.

I've restarted it a couple of times and that doesn't appear to do anything.

is anyone else experiencing this kind of performance? Is there a firmware update of some kind?

I'm in the Bay area, picked up and installed the microcell about two weeks ago - no hiccups with the installation..

All the lights are on and my iPhone reads AT&T M-CELL with 5 bars all over the house.

I've got a 50MBit down/10MBit up connection which passes all the VOIP online tests with flying colors (very little jitter, 0.0 packet loss etc..) It's hooked to a reasonably new dual channel Cisco wireless router.

The problem is that Calls are failing all the time - while the bars stay solid at 5. Occasionally, I'll go a day or two without a dropped call, but then I'll have 5 or 6 dropped calls in a row. I've had to disable 3G on the iPhone just to maintain a conference call for more than 10 minutes without dropping.

is anyone else experiencing this kind of performance? Is there a firmware update of some kind?

MicroCell dropping calls like crazy

24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 3:27:28 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by thively on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:28:27 PM

About how long do the calls last before they drop?  You said less than 10 min, so about 3-5?

Without the M-Cell (if it were powered off,) what's the AT&T reception like in the same location?

Just wondering if maybe the calls are trying to hand off to the AT&T macrocell site and getting dropped in the process.  I know I get handed off at different locations in the building (when at work) because the AT&T reception happens to be better there.

Sorry I don't have any solutions.  I honestly haven't had a lot of lenthy phone calls on my M-Cells and not once have they dropped.  My typical call is about 10 min.

I wonder if AT&T support can find out any solutions.  Perhaps they have access to call log data that can tell them the reason the calls have dropped?

Just asking some questions.

About how long do the calls last before they drop?  You said less than 10 min, so about 3-5?

Without the M-Cell (if it were powered off,) what's the AT&T reception like in the same location?

Just wondering if maybe the calls are trying to hand off to the AT&T macrocell site and getting dropped in the process.  I know I get handed off at different locations in the building (when at work) because the AT&T reception happens to be better there.

Sorry I don't have any solutions.  I honestly haven't had a lot of lenthy phone calls on my M-Cells and not once have they dropped.  My typical call is about 10 min.

I wonder if AT&T support can find out any solutions.  Perhaps they have access to call log data that can tell them the reason the calls have dropped?

Just asking some questions.

Re: MicroCell dropping calls like crazy

[ Edited ]
2 of 25 (5,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 6:13:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I haven't noticed much of a pattern as to the length of the call before it drops.. 

It just now dropped a call after about 4 or 5 minutes.. I've also has it drop after 30 seconds.. or work perfectly for an hour long conference call. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme nor reason to it.

re: 3G reception.. it's always been a bit spotty where I live. Prior to the MicroCell,  with 3G enabled, I'd drop at least 3 or 4 calls a week.. My solution had been to use my 3GS in Edge mode which really never dropped a call.

Perhaps I'll try calling AT&T support.. I just don't feel like I've got the energy right now to slog through a conversation with a level 1 technician who will hand me off to someone else after essentially reading the manual back to me.

<sigh>

I haven't noticed much of a pattern as to the length of the call before it drops.. 

It just now dropped a call after about 4 or 5 minutes.. I've also has it drop after 30 seconds.. or work perfectly for an hour long conference call. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme nor reason to it.

re: 3G reception.. it's always been a bit spotty where I live. Prior to the MicroCell,  with 3G enabled, I'd drop at least 3 or 4 calls a week.. My solution had been to use my 3GS in Edge mode which really never dropped a call.

Perhaps I'll try calling AT&T support.. I just don't feel like I've got the energy right now to slog through a conversation with a level 1 technician who will hand me off to someone else after essentially reading the manual back to me.

<sigh>

3 of 25 (5,874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 1:11:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had more dropped calls today than the total drops for the last 6 months.  The interesting thing is that the drops are happening both when I am connected to the regular network and when connected to the 3G MicroCell.  The MicroCell has been rock solid for the last 3 weeks.  In fact, today is the first time I have every had a dropped call when connected to the MicroCell.  I am in the SF Bay Are and am wondering if something has happened in this area.

I have had more dropped calls today than the total drops for the last 6 months.  The interesting thing is that the drops are happening both when I am connected to the regular network and when connected to the 3G MicroCell.  The MicroCell has been rock solid for the last 3 weeks.  In fact, today is the first time I have every had a dropped call when connected to the MicroCell.  I am in the SF Bay Are and am wondering if something has happened in this area.

4 of 25 (5,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 4:36:59 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by spmfox on May 4, 2010 at 4:40:32 AM

Is it possible that its not your device, its the other number your calling?

The only reason I ask is because your setup sounds perfect. Smiley Wink

Is it possible that its not your device, its the other number your calling?

The only reason I ask is because your setup sounds perfect. Smiley Wink

[ Edited ]
5 of 25 (5,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 11:02:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just bought a MicroCell yesterday in Salt Lake City and had my first two calls dropped.  So far, I'm less than impressed.  Let me know if you or anyone has any suggestions.  If not, this might be a short-lived purchase.

I just bought a MicroCell yesterday in Salt Lake City and had my first two calls dropped.  So far, I'm less than impressed.  Let me know if you or anyone has any suggestions.  If not, this might be a short-lived purchase.

6 of 25 (5,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 12:08:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've had my MC for a couple of weeks now.  Where I live in San Diego, it is very hilly.  Macro cell coverage is very spotty.  In the front of my house, I get absolutely no bar coverage.  In fact it typically says "Searching for Network".  In the back of my house approx 50' away I get 1-2 bar macro coverage.  I have experimented with the location of the MC and here is what my very superficial testing has shown.  It seems to be important to locate the MC in a location where you get the worst macro cell coverage.  It somehow appears, that there is a not so friendly competition between the MicroCell and the cell tower for domination.  If the macro cell strenght is too strong, the microcell hands off the call.  Once that happens it cannot go back.  If your call is in macro and the signal starts to degrade, you end up with a dropped call.

So now with the MC located in the front of my house, I get 5 bar coverage and almost never drop a call throughout most of the house.   However, if I start a call up front and start walking towards the rear, once the tower strength starts to exceed the MC strenth that appears to be the problem area.  If it hands off to the cell tower I typically have no better than 50% chance of completing the call before it is dropped.

I've had my MC for a couple of weeks now.  Where I live in San Diego, it is very hilly.  Macro cell coverage is very spotty.  In the front of my house, I get absolutely no bar coverage.  In fact it typically says "Searching for Network".  In the back of my house approx 50' away I get 1-2 bar macro coverage.  I have experimented with the location of the MC and here is what my very superficial testing has shown.  It seems to be important to locate the MC in a location where you get the worst macro cell coverage.  It somehow appears, that there is a not so friendly competition between the MicroCell and the cell tower for domination.  If the macro cell strenght is too strong, the microcell hands off the call.  Once that happens it cannot go back.  If your call is in macro and the signal starts to degrade, you end up with a dropped call.

So now with the MC located in the front of my house, I get 5 bar coverage and almost never drop a call throughout most of the house.   However, if I start a call up front and start walking towards the rear, once the tower strength starts to exceed the MC strenth that appears to be the problem area.  If it hands off to the cell tower I typically have no better than 50% chance of completing the call before it is dropped.

7 of 25 (5,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 11:28:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

That's a very astute observation.  Placing the MC in the home where you have the worst macro coverage is a very good idea.  Especially since hand-out to the Macro works, but hand-in from the macro does not.  I would be very interested to hear if others that are having drop call issues could relocate their MC as you suggested and what those results were.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

That's a very astute observation.  Placing the MC in the home where you have the worst macro coverage is a very good idea.  Especially since hand-out to the Macro works, but hand-in from the macro does not.  I would be very interested to hear if others that are having drop call issues could relocate their MC as you suggested and what those results were.

8 of 25 (5,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 7:25:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have been called a lot of things in my day, but never "astute".  Thanks.

I have been called a lot of things in my day, but never "astute".  Thanks.

9 of 25 (5,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 5:09:08 AM
(0)
Voyager
Add me to the list of unsatisfied customers. I have had the MC for over six months now and I've had so many dropped and failed calls that it's not funny! from my experience the MC just isn't ready for prime yet. On the other hand, I've used the Airave from Sprint with great success but the reliability of the MC just isn't there. As with other posters there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the communication problems. We do have spotty coverage at my house ranging from 3 bars to no bars so it may very well gave something to do with tower hand-off and re-connect. I have a trouble ticket (one if many) in now so we will see what happens.
Add me to the list of unsatisfied customers. I have had the MC for over six months now and I've had so many dropped and failed calls that it's not funny! from my experience the MC just isn't ready for prime yet. On the other hand, I've used the Airave from Sprint with great success but the reliability of the MC just isn't there. As with other posters there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the communication problems. We do have spotty coverage at my house ranging from 3 bars to no bars so it may very well gave something to do with tower hand-off and re-connect. I have a trouble ticket (one if many) in now so we will see what happens.

10 of 25 (5,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 10:00:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've had this problem (logged  with ATT) since Nov 4th.  I just pushed the problem up the ticket route and was told, "This is a Known problem that Cisco is working on and there is no "fixed" timeframe.".

If you haven't opened a ticket, DO IT!  

AT&T is researching how/if they are going to refund my $$$..    They wanted me to "log" the dropped calls.   Well, this happens to be in a business so I can't afford to have customer dropped calls.

At this point in time, I could NOT suggest anyone purchase this product based on my recent conversations with AT&T and experience.

Cheers.

I've had this problem (logged  with ATT) since Nov 4th.  I just pushed the problem up the ticket route and was told, "This is a Known problem that Cisco is working on and there is no "fixed" timeframe.".

If you haven't opened a ticket, DO IT!  

AT&T is researching how/if they are going to refund my $$$..    They wanted me to "log" the dropped calls.   Well, this happens to be in a business so I can't afford to have customer dropped calls.

At this point in time, I could NOT suggest anyone purchase this product based on my recent conversations with AT&T and experience.

Cheers.

11 of 25 (3,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2010 12:49:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

nothingreal wrote:

I'm in Irvine - Orange County. I picked up a microcell last week and went home to hook it up. The store clerk was incredibly helpful. I got home and 90 minutes later I was excited to be up and running. My excitement was short lived as after hooking up the microcell I was dropping calls worse then ever --- I didn't understand it as I had "full bars". I took it back to the store and exchanged the microcell because I thought it was an equipment problem. Went home and had the same problem with the second microcell. Needless to say, the second microcell has been returned. I anxiously waited for the microcell and thought it would be the end of my at home service problems. Needless to say, I am incredibly disappointed. I know AT+T hears this a lot, but my contract is up in June on iPhone#1 and in December for iPhone #2 --- the service better get better very quickly.

nothingreal wrote:

I'm in Irvine - Orange County. I picked up a microcell last week and went home to hook it up. The store clerk was incredibly helpful. I got home and 90 minutes later I was excited to be up and running. My excitement was short lived as after hooking up the microcell I was dropping calls worse then ever --- I didn't understand it as I had "full bars". I took it back to the store and exchanged the microcell because I thought it was an equipment problem. Went home and had the same problem with the second microcell. Needless to say, the second microcell has been returned. I anxiously waited for the microcell and thought it would be the end of my at home service problems. Needless to say, I am incredibly disappointed. I know AT+T hears this a lot, but my contract is up in June on iPhone#1 and in December for iPhone #2 --- the service better get better very quickly.

12 of 25 (3,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2010 8:55:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just purchased and setup my MicroCell on Monday (5/10/10).  Out of five or so calls placed on the MicroCell, I've dropped three.  I suspect it's the whole MicroCell to macrocell handoff going on - but not sure.  I'm on hold with AT&T tech support as I type this - we'll see if they offer any suggestions.  Otherwise, I guess add me to the list of frustrated MicroCell owners.  My wife and I both use iPhone 3GS handsets.

I just purchased and setup my MicroCell on Monday (5/10/10).  Out of five or so calls placed on the MicroCell, I've dropped three.  I suspect it's the whole MicroCell to macrocell handoff going on - but not sure.  I'm on hold with AT&T tech support as I type this - we'll see if they offer any suggestions.  Otherwise, I guess add me to the list of frustrated MicroCell owners.  My wife and I both use iPhone 3GS handsets.

13 of 25 (3,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2010 11:16:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

So here's my latest experience with the problem..

I called AT&T last week and spoke with a rep who was very helpful.

My MicroCell was connected to the router and - per his instruction - I connected the MicroCell directly to the modem and then connected the router to the MicroCell (they call this 'priority mode').

After a quick modem re-boot everything was in place.. It took the MicroCell two days to come up, but on Sunday morning it was online and my iPhone was back connected to it.

I made a call that morning and it dropped after 5 seconds... then I called the person back and It held the connection for the full call.

Since then I've dropped roughly 50-60% of the calls, without any apparent pattern -- some drop right away, some will drop after 20 or 30 minutes... I even had a conference call last for an hour before it dropped.

It's been 'escalated' with their support staff.

all in all, I'm pleasantly surprised with the phone techs at AT&T, so kudos for that.. the 3G MicroCell product, on the other hand, is nothing short of pathetic based on my experience.

It's a black eye that AT&T really doesn't need right now.

So here's my latest experience with the problem..

I called AT&T last week and spoke with a rep who was very helpful.

My MicroCell was connected to the router and - per his instruction - I connected the MicroCell directly to the modem and then connected the router to the MicroCell (they call this 'priority mode').

After a quick modem re-boot everything was in place.. It took the MicroCell two days to come up, but on Sunday morning it was online and my iPhone was back connected to it.

I made a call that morning and it dropped after 5 seconds... then I called the person back and It held the connection for the full call.

Since then I've dropped roughly 50-60% of the calls, without any apparent pattern -- some drop right away, some will drop after 20 or 30 minutes... I even had a conference call last for an hour before it dropped.

It's been 'escalated' with their support staff.

all in all, I'm pleasantly surprised with the phone techs at AT&T, so kudos for that.. the 3G MicroCell product, on the other hand, is nothing short of pathetic based on my experience.

It's a black eye that AT&T really doesn't need right now.

14 of 25 (3,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2010 12:13:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

I live right next to Irvine- in Aliso Viejo (Orange County)... like a previous post we have 10 Mbps (down), reliable internet service from Cox- however since installing our 3G Microcell last Saturday- most calls originating from our Microcell are dropped

Monday- 2 / 3 calls placed dropped

Tuesday 1 / 2 calls placed dropped

Wed (today) 2/3 calls placed dropped

very frustrating- as this device was supposed to make coverage problems go away!  Not increase them.  We were going to get new iPhones and re-sign up for another 2 years next month.  But if this isn't reliable- then coverage at home won't be reliable- and perhaps it's time to go Verizon / Android. 

Would really appreciate any news of a fix... John

ps - I've power cycled but that didn't fix the problem

I live right next to Irvine- in Aliso Viejo (Orange County)... like a previous post we have 10 Mbps (down), reliable internet service from Cox- however since installing our 3G Microcell last Saturday- most calls originating from our Microcell are dropped

Monday- 2 / 3 calls placed dropped

Tuesday 1 / 2 calls placed dropped

Wed (today) 2/3 calls placed dropped

very frustrating- as this device was supposed to make coverage problems go away!  Not increase them.  We were going to get new iPhones and re-sign up for another 2 years next month.  But if this isn't reliable- then coverage at home won't be reliable- and perhaps it's time to go Verizon / Android. 

Would really appreciate any news of a fix... John

ps - I've power cycled but that didn't fix the problem

15 of 25 (3,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2010 3:11:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Crazy what we have to deal with in South Orange County. As much I as love my iPhone, I can't take the poor cell service anymore. It pains me to say it, but I think I am going to change both of my iPhones over to VZW and go for a Droid or HTC. My love of the iPhone is not as great as my frustration with AT+T. 3rd week of June is the date expected for Apple to announce a 4G phone and maybe a VZW iPhone. Still do not get why when I am sitting on my couch, my friend with VZW has full bars and I have 0-1. I wish AT+T could just get it together so I would not have to go through the headache of changing providers......just sayin

Crazy what we have to deal with in South Orange County. As much I as love my iPhone, I can't take the poor cell service anymore. It pains me to say it, but I think I am going to change both of my iPhones over to VZW and go for a Droid or HTC. My love of the iPhone is not as great as my frustration with AT+T. 3rd week of June is the date expected for Apple to announce a 4G phone and maybe a VZW iPhone. Still do not get why when I am sitting on my couch, my friend with VZW has full bars and I have 0-1. I wish AT+T could just get it together so I would not have to go through the headache of changing providers......just sayin

16 of 25 (3,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2010 4:24:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

Actually, if a design criteria of the 3G Microcell was to mirror, at home, the experience we all have outside... then they've nailed this.  Just read the title of the thread...

Actually, if a design criteria of the 3G Microcell was to mirror, at home, the experience we all have outside... then they've nailed this.  Just read the title of the thread...

17 of 25 (3,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 10:52:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

Update #1:

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with AT&T yesterday and - to their credit - they do seem to take genuine interest in the issue. Was escalated to a level 3 tech on the MicroCell team and she didn't insult my intelligence which was nice.  She did suggest I replace the SIM cards in both my and my wife's iPhones.  I will do so later today.  She also suggested power cycling both the MicroCell and iPhones on a DAILY basis. Fair enough - will do.

In the meantime, I've dropped 2 of 3 calls today and am more sure than before that it IS the handoff issue (MicroCell to macrocell/tower) causing the problem.  On both occasions today, when I took my iPhone away from my ear after dropping the call, it showed I was no longer on the MicroCell but standard 3G.  So - with my limited engineering experience - it would seem to me that AT&T needs to figure out a way to tell the MicroCell NOT to hand off calls to a nearby tower if the owner so wishes. In that respect, I would surmise that people who have few if any bars MIGHT be faring better with their MicroCells due to it not handing off the call to a competing tower which - at times - offers power levels similar to the MicroCell itself.

Update #1:

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with AT&T yesterday and - to their credit - they do seem to take genuine interest in the issue. Was escalated to a level 3 tech on the MicroCell team and she didn't insult my intelligence which was nice.  She did suggest I replace the SIM cards in both my and my wife's iPhones.  I will do so later today.  She also suggested power cycling both the MicroCell and iPhones on a DAILY basis. Fair enough - will do.

In the meantime, I've dropped 2 of 3 calls today and am more sure than before that it IS the handoff issue (MicroCell to macrocell/tower) causing the problem.  On both occasions today, when I took my iPhone away from my ear after dropping the call, it showed I was no longer on the MicroCell but standard 3G.  So - with my limited engineering experience - it would seem to me that AT&T needs to figure out a way to tell the MicroCell NOT to hand off calls to a nearby tower if the owner so wishes. In that respect, I would surmise that people who have few if any bars MIGHT be faring better with their MicroCells due to it not handing off the call to a competing tower which - at times - offers power levels similar to the MicroCell itself.

18 of 25 (3,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 10:58:05 AM
(0)
Mentor

Personally, I would prefer the elegant solution AT&T has been promising for years.  I would like to see both backwards and forward handoffs to the macro cell as well as a more powerful MicroCell so that it's signal is not overpowered by a marginal macro signal.

Personally, I would prefer the elegant solution AT&T has been promising for years.  I would like to see both backwards and forward handoffs to the macro cell as well as a more powerful MicroCell so that it's signal is not overpowered by a marginal macro signal.

19 of 25 (3,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 2:45:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the SAME problems!

This thing doesnt work right at all!

Service here in this neighborhood shows  full 3g on ATTs map, but we get dropped 3g calls CONSTANTLY before use of the microcell. Almost impossible to make a call and not have it drop, unless I switch 3G off, and enable the 2g network which works without dropping, but voice quality is poor compared to 3g.  This area is flat, and suburban.  no hills,  no big buildings blocking signals.... The dropped calls happen day, or night, even at 3:30 or 4am, so that shows its not dropping due to network traffic.

With MANY MANY calls to ATT and Apple, 5 iPhones, and 3 SIM cards later, and everyone on my block with an iPhone calling ATT to report horrible dropped call issues, I hear they MIGHT eventually put up a another tower sometime in the next year or 2....  So I finally got fed up and bought the microcell which should be provided for FREE in these types of situations.

I connected the microcell to my Time Warner 18mbit down/2mbit up connection.  my ping is 32ms, and jitter is 3ms.  This is an excellent connection.

M-Cell setup was a breeze and now I have 5 solid bars of service and it says "M-CELL" on my iphone 3g.  (I did have to restart my phone for it to see the M-CELL)

Now when I make calls through the Mcell I'm often STILL getting Dropped calls, usually 30 seconds into the call, or at the beginning of the call.

When my calls drop, I look at the screen and it shows it has switched to, and is on AT&Ts network, and then a second later  after the call is still disconnected,  it switches back to the M-Cell and I can then make another attempt at the call.  WHAT GIVES?!!!!!

HELP!!! 

I am having the SAME problems!

This thing doesnt work right at all!

Service here in this neighborhood shows  full 3g on ATTs map, but we get dropped 3g calls CONSTANTLY before use of the microcell. Almost impossible to make a call and not have it drop, unless I switch 3G off, and enable the 2g network which works without dropping, but voice quality is poor compared to 3g.  This area is flat, and suburban.  no hills,  no big buildings blocking signals.... The dropped calls happen day, or night, even at 3:30 or 4am, so that shows its not dropping due to network traffic.

With MANY MANY calls to ATT and Apple, 5 iPhones, and 3 SIM cards later, and everyone on my block with an iPhone calling ATT to report horrible dropped call issues, I hear they MIGHT eventually put up a another tower sometime in the next year or 2....  So I finally got fed up and bought the microcell which should be provided for FREE in these types of situations.

I connected the microcell to my Time Warner 18mbit down/2mbit up connection.  my ping is 32ms, and jitter is 3ms.  This is an excellent connection.

M-Cell setup was a breeze and now I have 5 solid bars of service and it says "M-CELL" on my iphone 3g.  (I did have to restart my phone for it to see the M-CELL)

Now when I make calls through the Mcell I'm often STILL getting Dropped calls, usually 30 seconds into the call, or at the beginning of the call.

When my calls drop, I look at the screen and it shows it has switched to, and is on AT&Ts network, and then a second later  after the call is still disconnected,  it switches back to the M-Cell and I can then make another attempt at the call.  WHAT GIVES?!!!!!

HELP!!! 

20 of 25 (3,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 10:24:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

Questions for everybody who is experiencing dropped calls...

1. How close are you to the MicroCell when the calls drop? For me I've been more than 20-feet from the MicroCell, and in an area of my house where the macro network has a fairly strong signal. However this is still unaacceptable to me because if I walk back to an area of the house where the macro network is weak but the MicroCell would be strong, the call will drop since hand-off to the MicroCell is not possible.

2. Is your MicroCell located in a room where the macro network has a weak or strong signal? I've heard from various sources that if it's located where there are strong macro network signals, the power output will not be as strong.

Questions for everybody who is experiencing dropped calls...

1. How close are you to the MicroCell when the calls drop? For me I've been more than 20-feet from the MicroCell, and in an area of my house where the macro network has a fairly strong signal. However this is still unaacceptable to me because if I walk back to an area of the house where the macro network is weak but the MicroCell would be strong, the call will drop since hand-off to the MicroCell is not possible.

2. Is your MicroCell located in a room where the macro network has a weak or strong signal? I've heard from various sources that if it's located where there are strong macro network signals, the power output will not be as strong.

21 of 25 (2,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 11:13:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

The MicroCell and the macro cell do not play well together.  Your MC will furnish a stronger signal if it does not detect a mecro signal nearby.  Locate your MC is the portion of your home that gets the worst macro cell signal.  When in a call connected to the Micro Cell, try to stay in it's range.  Should you move to an area where the macro signal is stronger than the MC signal, the call will be handed off and probably dropped.  Calls can be handed off in only one direction.  MicroCell to macro, there fore once handed off, it will not go back even if you move back in range.

The MicroCell and the macro cell do not play well together.  Your MC will furnish a stronger signal if it does not detect a mecro signal nearby.  Locate your MC is the portion of your home that gets the worst macro cell signal.  When in a call connected to the Micro Cell, try to stay in it's range.  Should you move to an area where the macro signal is stronger than the MC signal, the call will be handed off and probably dropped.  Calls can be handed off in only one direction.  MicroCell to macro, there fore once handed off, it will not go back even if you move back in range.

22 of 25 (2,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2010 7:28:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've had my microcell for a few weeks now.  In-bound calls are dropping after a few seconds.  Out-bound calls drop after 30s or so (appears to be switching to Mobile BS).  The device is totally unusable until ATT is able to do bi-lateral hand-offs....

Mike B.

Boston, MA

I've had my microcell for a few weeks now.  In-bound calls are dropping after a few seconds.  Out-bound calls drop after 30s or so (appears to be switching to Mobile BS).  The device is totally unusable until ATT is able to do bi-lateral hand-offs....

Mike B.

Boston, MA

23 of 25 (2,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 2:43:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the exact same handoff problem.

Calls initiate/come in fine when I'm connected to the MC, and then within a few minutes drop - when I look at the phone, I'm no longer connected to the MC, but to normal 3g or edge, with just a few bars.

Does anyone know if there is a firmware update in the works by ATT to address this?  If not I'm gonna return it, and jump to Verizon.   This was ATT's last hope of staying in my household.

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the exact same handoff problem.

Calls initiate/come in fine when I'm connected to the MC, and then within a few minutes drop - when I look at the phone, I'm no longer connected to the MC, but to normal 3g or edge, with just a few bars.

Does anyone know if there is a firmware update in the works by ATT to address this?  If not I'm gonna return it, and jump to Verizon.   This was ATT's last hope of staying in my household.

24 of 25 (2,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2010 7:28:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yup. Me too ... constant dropped calls. 

AT&T has replaced both my Microcell and my SIM card and Apple has replaced my iPhone 4, twice.

These devices simply do not work together. 

http://gigaom.com/apple/final-word-on-att-3g-microcell-meh/

If the imminent iOS 4.2 update doesn't magically solve this, I'll probably ditch the MC and get unlimited U.S. calling on Skype for $3 per month. Skype WiFi calls are rock solid in my home. 

Yup. Me too ... constant dropped calls. 

AT&T has replaced both my Microcell and my SIM card and Apple has replaced my iPhone 4, twice.

These devices simply do not work together. 

http://gigaom.com/apple/final-word-on-att-3g-microcell-meh/

If the imminent iOS 4.2 update doesn't magically solve this, I'll probably ditch the MC and get unlimited U.S. calling on Skype for $3 per month. Skype WiFi calls are rock solid in my home. 

25 of 25 (1,953 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments