MicroCell causes by Focus Battery to drain rapidly

Contributor

MicroCell causes by Focus Battery to drain rapidly

I have noticed that my battery drains rapidly on my Focus only when I am at home.  This started a few months back and was coincident with me getting a Microcell.  My battery lasts more than a day with a fair amount of use away from home, but drains in a 18 hour period at home without any use at all.  My Wife's Android phone does not experience this (she also has a Samsung, but an Android).  The battery life is fine when I remove myself from the Microcell listing. 

Has AT&T notified Samsung about this?  I saw similar reports in August when snooping this issue just now.

Message 1 of 15 (2,191 Views)
Contributor

Re: MicroCell causes by Focus Battery to drain rapidly

[ Edited ]

I have similar behavior.  I barely use my phone at all at home, yet  my battery drains pretty rapidly.. I'd actually be happy if I could get 18 hours (well, relatively speaking).  

Also, I don't believe it has to do with the 'battle for the best signal' as I have virtually no signal at my house, which is why I got the Microcell in the first place.   I've heard/read somewhere else that this is supposedly an issue with certain samsung devices (some firmware or hardware component) that doesn't jive with the microcell.. but that's purely speculatory.

Message 2 of 15 (2,166 Views)
Contributor

I can definitely report the same behavior on my LG Quantum.

The phone gets warm and the battery drains in about 6 hours.

I'm 10 feet from my Microcell.

I also just bought a brand new battery for my phone and it makes zero difference.

I'm on Mango, but it was no different on NoDo.

My parents both have a Focus and a Microcell and report the same problem.

Others (Blackberry, iOS users) also report the same issues elsewhere on the netz. So I don't think it is unique to us.

Today I've noticed that the phone is simply dumping the Microcell totally (but I may have turned on Battery Saver).

Anyway, AT&T needs to look into this ASAP.

Message 3 of 15 (2,130 Views)
Contributor

I found a fix - sort of.

Go to Settings / Cellular and turn off Data Connection when you're connected to your Microcell.

My battery didn't drain at the same rate today (and I left Bluetooth and WiFi connected).

I did talk with @ATTCustomerCare (tweet and phone) today and they were going to look into it.

Message 4 of 15 (2,115 Views)
Contributor

A high level support rep called me today and indicated that this is an issue (among several others) with the Microcell they are tracking. It does not affect Windows Phone devices in particular and spans multiple device manufacturers / users.

A number of customers in multiple situations have reported it (sometimes switching between micro / macro cells is the cause as previously noted).

in any case, they are working on an update of the firmware with Cisco (the manufacturer of the Microcell) that would be automatically pushed to everyone's Micrcell. However, there is no public date for the fix or the push of the firmware.

But, at least this is a known issue and is being addressed actively. And, it is not an issue that particularly affects Windows Phone 7.

On my second day, the "Turn of Cellular Data" trick appears to keep my phone's battery drain under control.

However, my phone appears to disconnect from my Microcell frequently - and not get onto a Macrocell (so I have to go to Airplane mode and back to get back onto the Microcell).

Message 5 of 15 (2,097 Views)
Tutor

I got a microcell recently and I am using an Android phone (Nexus One, specifically).  I can definitely report that there was an immediate change in my phone's battery life from the first day the microcell was installed.  Prior to installing the microcell, my phone would usually maintain a charge for the entire day.  With the microcell, the phone will be completely discharged by late evening and just power itself off.  If I am out running around town, the battery keeps its charge.  There is definitely something about the microcell and I hope it's a matter of a firmware fix.

Message 6 of 15 (2,078 Views)
Contributor

I have a Samsung Focus and have experienced similar problems with my 3G MicroCell. I was beginning to think it was a problem with the MicroCell itself as I did not have these issues until about two months ago. Hopefully they get the new firmware pushed out soon.

Message 7 of 15 (2,041 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Thank you for posting the fix of turning off your data connection. I have a brand new Samsung Focus S & the battery life sucked.  Once I did that with the data connection when connected to the Microcell, performance has been as expected.

I am also getting a LOT of dropped calls on the Microcell, and I rarely had them when using my iPhone 3G S.

Message 8 of 15 (2,020 Views)
Mentor

Same issue with a Samsung Captivate.  I reported it back in July, they had me exchange the microcell which I knew would have no effect because it worked fine with my wife's iphone 3gs, and then they had me exchange my phone, again no difference.

They were helpful through the process, but at the end, since nothing worked, the answer was, well, you can get a phone upgrade and a different phone.  NOT a good answer.

I insisted there was something about the Samsung-Android combination, but they said they had no reports of this.

Clearly, now, there are plenty of folks with the same issue, and it sounds like it is not confined to Samsung but more to Android.

I really hope the fix this.  I had to disable my microcell and register it under my wife's number so that at least she can benefit from it.

Message 9 of 15 (1,947 Views)
Teacher

Note that my phone was a Samsung Focus S, a Windows Phone. So, this sounds more like a chipset issue not an OS issue.

Message 10 of 15 (1,897 Views)
Contributor

Has anyone heard of a permanant fix to this issue?

Message 11 of 15 (1,329 Views)
Contributor

I just got my microcell yesterday and after 4 hrs of using it I could tell it was a battery killer.  It's currently back in its box until I see a fix being talked about.  My phone also did not fully charge while plugged in over night after turning off on its own.  iphone running 5.0.1

Message 12 of 15 (1,303 Views)
Contributor

Thanks to all who have validated that this is a real problem.  Since no fix has been pushed in these three months, I simply put my microcell on a remote switch cord like one used for a christmas tree.  When I am in the basement and need service, I simply turn on the switch and in a few minutes I am on the micro cell.  When done, I turn it off.

Just another band aid suggestion until Cisco comes up with a patch.  I also realize I will not get upgraded when it is powered off, but am happy for now since it is the basement that needs the micro cell.

Message 13 of 15 (1,292 Views)
Contributor

Great news, new code for the microcell is in labs testing and this is one of the fixes to be rolled out.  I hear it will start in the field this summer and take a few months to hit all microcells.  I'll be turning mine on every time I am in the basement and if my phone gets warm and the battery drains, I know to keep waiting, but the fix is in the works.

Message 14 of 15 (1,185 Views)
Contributor

It's great news that they have a fix in the works. How do you know that? Is there a way to reference that fix? The At&t support tech that I talked to did not know anything about it.

Message 15 of 15 (1,106 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.