Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 7, 2012
3:34:03 PM
View profile
MicroCell and iPhone 4 service failure

I made one more call to support before cancelling my contract. I love the iPhone and ATT does have almost worldwide coverage. However, it simply does not work at my house.

I am near downtown Austin, TX. I have uVerse, Microcell, iPhone 4, but a very poor wireless signal. I was hoping atht the Microcell would help, but outbound calls fail, calls are dropped and I often sound like I am under water when I use the Microcell. The voice signal is garbled.

The response time to the nearest cell tower is 2,633 ms. The fact is that there just isn't an ATT&T cell tower within line of sight. Verizon is slightly better. Sprint has a poor signal too. T-Mobile is the only carrier with a decent signal in my neighborhood. I guess that its time to switch to an Android phone.

AT&T and Apple can point fingers at each other while customers suffer or maybe there is a patch for either the iOS or the MicroCell?

What a waste of money.

I made one more call to support before cancelling my contract. I love the iPhone and ATT does have almost worldwide coverage. However, it simply does not work at my house.

I am near downtown Austin, TX. I have uVerse, Microcell, iPhone 4, but a very poor wireless signal. I was hoping atht the Microcell would help, but outbound calls fail, calls are dropped and I often sound like I am under water when I use the Microcell. The voice signal is garbled.

The response time to the nearest cell tower is 2,633 ms. The fact is that there just isn't an ATT&T cell tower within line of sight. Verizon is slightly better. Sprint has a poor signal too. T-Mobile is the only carrier with a decent signal in my neighborhood. I guess that its time to switch to an Android phone.

AT&T and Apple can point fingers at each other while customers suffer or maybe there is a patch for either the iOS or the MicroCell?

What a waste of money.

MicroCell and iPhone 4 service failure

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 1:53:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcparsons wrote:

What a waste of money.

There won't be a "patch" issued because neither party, including Cisco who made the MicroCells, will spend the time and money to improve the reception. However, to be fair, we have iPhones (3GS and 4S) and rarely have any issues so it all depends, in part, on where you live, location of towers, overlapping signals or fringe signals confusing the iPhone on which one to connect to, etc. Some have had luck switching their phones to Airplane mode, turning off WiFi, etc. We also have a metal roof on our house which doesn't seem to affect reception either (faraday effect). Go figure.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

marcparsons wrote:

What a waste of money.

There won't be a "patch" issued because neither party, including Cisco who made the MicroCells, will spend the time and money to improve the reception. However, to be fair, we have iPhones (3GS and 4S) and rarely have any issues so it all depends, in part, on where you live, location of towers, overlapping signals or fringe signals confusing the iPhone on which one to connect to, etc. Some have had luck switching their phones to Airplane mode, turning off WiFi, etc. We also have a metal roof on our house which doesn't seem to affect reception either (faraday effect). Go figure.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: MicroCell and iPhone 4 service failure

2 of 3 (2,084 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 10:08:11 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by dotme on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:08:30 AM

marcparsons wrote:

...outbound calls fail, calls are dropped and I often sound like I am under water when I use the Microcell. The voice signal is garbled....

If you have full bars on your phone, the issue might well be your Internet connection, not the Microcell. Packet loss, constrained/saturated bandwidth, poor upload speed can all affect voice performance on the MCell. 

Run speed tests on your internet connection. See if you're getting smooth, quality / healthy connection stats.

marcparsons wrote:

...outbound calls fail, calls are dropped and I often sound like I am under water when I use the Microcell. The voice signal is garbled....

If you have full bars on your phone, the issue might well be your Internet connection, not the Microcell. Packet loss, constrained/saturated bandwidth, poor upload speed can all affect voice performance on the MCell. 

Run speed tests on your internet connection. See if you're getting smooth, quality / healthy connection stats.

Re: MicroCell and iPhone 4 service failure

[ Edited ]
3 of 3 (1,985 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments