Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 19, 2011
3:16:08 PM
View profile
MicroCell Price INCREASE??

According to THIS leaked document that Engadget posted, ATT is INCREASING the price of the MicroCell to $199.00.  Maybe to cover their customer support costs?  Software development costs?

Too funny....

According to THIS leaked document that Engadget posted, ATT is INCREASING the price of the MicroCell to $199.00.  Maybe to cover their customer support costs?  Software development costs?

Too funny....

MicroCell Price INCREASE??

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 3:26:38 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Caretaker on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:23:20 AM

bubbatex wrote:

Too funny....

As if $150.00 for a piece of epic fail isn't insulting enough...now AT&T thinks it's worth $200.00!!  As soon as I stop laughing I want to nominate AT&T for the Golden { word filter evasion }  Award.  Think they'll win???

bubbatex wrote:

Too funny....

As if $150.00 for a piece of epic fail isn't insulting enough...now AT&T thinks it's worth $200.00!!  As soon as I stop laughing I want to nominate AT&T for the Golden { word filter evasion }  Award.  Think they'll win???

Re: MicroCell Price INCREASE??

[ Edited ]
2 of 10 (9,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 4:05:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

Apparently, that memo came from an alternate universe in which Cisco designed a solid, intelligent device and AT&T implemented and deployed it perfectly.  In that alternate universe, the MicroCell has had such good reviews that they've had to increase the price to accommodate all of the resources they've spent on excellent engineering and support.

In this universe, it's an terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, awfully-designed, laughably-supported product that works erratically and poorly.  My only guess is that they're increasing the price to limit demand, since their back-end infrastructure appears to be so overloaded in many regions by the poor unfortunate souls like me that thought it was a "solution" to help deal with the ridiculously overloaded AT&T network.

Now that the iPhone is no longer the be-all-and-end-all for AT&T, I'm still praying they abandon this MicroCell nonsense for UMA.  At the very least, make UMA an option for Android (via Kineto) and BlackBerry.  But, I'm not holding my breath.

Apparently, that memo came from an alternate universe in which Cisco designed a solid, intelligent device and AT&T implemented and deployed it perfectly.  In that alternate universe, the MicroCell has had such good reviews that they've had to increase the price to accommodate all of the resources they've spent on excellent engineering and support.

In this universe, it's an terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, awfully-designed, laughably-supported product that works erratically and poorly.  My only guess is that they're increasing the price to limit demand, since their back-end infrastructure appears to be so overloaded in many regions by the poor unfortunate souls like me that thought it was a "solution" to help deal with the ridiculously overloaded AT&T network.

Now that the iPhone is no longer the be-all-and-end-all for AT&T, I'm still praying they abandon this MicroCell nonsense for UMA.  At the very least, make UMA an option for Android (via Kineto) and BlackBerry.  But, I'm not holding my breath.

Alternate universe?

3 of 10 (9,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 4:27:33 PM
(0)
Guru

Wow. There are no words that convey FAIL on that massive a scale.

Wow. There are no words that convey FAIL on that massive a scale.

4 of 10 (9,487 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2011 10:24:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

Wow!! Apparently just shooting themselves in the foot multiple times wasn't enough. They've got to take out the entire leg! I guess that's AT&T's response to being cited as providing the worst customer service experience of all the carriers. They probably think that if they charge us more for something, we'll value it more. ....Overheard in the executive bunker deep below AT&T headquarters: Executive 1: "Those customers think they can screw with us?" "We'll show 'em." Executive 2: "What's customers?"

Wow!! Apparently just shooting themselves in the foot multiple times wasn't enough. They've got to take out the entire leg! I guess that's AT&T's response to being cited as providing the worst customer service experience of all the carriers. They probably think that if they charge us more for something, we'll value it more. ....Overheard in the executive bunker deep below AT&T headquarters: Executive 1: "Those customers think they can screw with us?" "We'll show 'em." Executive 2: "What's customers?"

5 of 10 (9,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 3:44:11 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by TomBeckman on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:47:26 PM

I just talked to a rep on the afternoon of Friday, Jan 21, and got some at the $149.00 price. She was able to override the $199.00 price in the system. She didn't know how much longer it would be possible to do that.

AT&T will be offering a free Microcell to pre-selected customers: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/atandt-offering-free-microcells-to-top-7-5-percent-of-customers-l...

Tom

I just talked to a rep on the afternoon of Friday, Jan 21, and got some at the $149.00 price. She was able to override the $199.00 price in the system. She didn't know how much longer it would be possible to do that.

AT&T will be offering a free Microcell to pre-selected customers: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/atandt-offering-free-microcells-to-top-7-5-percent-of-customers-l/

Tom

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (9,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 1:22:43 AM
(0)
Expert

This thing may end up the same way that Home Manager did (an experiment gone awry). Smiley Sad

This thing may end up the same way that Home Manager did (an experiment gone awry). Smiley Sad

7 of 10 (9,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 11:38:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

There's alot of misinformation and just plain BS in this thread. 

I purchased a microcell from my local ATT store yesterday (1/22/2011).  I paid $149.99 for it - no manager overide of a higher price and no preferred pricing - $149.99 was the list price.

Second, I have an Iphone 3GS and my wife has an Iphone 4.  They both work perfectly with the microcell.  We both have 5 bars throughout the house and even outside all along our property.

Setup was easy.  The ATT store activated my microcell and phone numbers before I left the store.  I came home, plugged it into my router and then connected the power.  The directions say to wait 90 minutes for it to do initial configuration.  It took 20 minutes.  We did nothing to our phones. 

Calls are crisp and clear, text messages are fast. 

Some people just feel a need to complain and make up pricing info.  Bottom line, price is $149.99 and it works wonderfully solving my in-home signal strength issues.

There's alot of misinformation and just plain BS in this thread. 

I purchased a microcell from my local ATT store yesterday (1/22/2011).  I paid $149.99 for it - no manager overide of a higher price and no preferred pricing - $149.99 was the list price.

Second, I have an Iphone 3GS and my wife has an Iphone 4.  They both work perfectly with the microcell.  We both have 5 bars throughout the house and even outside all along our property.

Setup was easy.  The ATT store activated my microcell and phone numbers before I left the store.  I came home, plugged it into my router and then connected the power.  The directions say to wait 90 minutes for it to do initial configuration.  It took 20 minutes.  We did nothing to our phones. 

Calls are crisp and clear, text messages are fast. 

Some people just feel a need to complain and make up pricing info.  Bottom line, price is $149.99 and it works wonderfully solving my in-home signal strength issues.

8 of 10 (9,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 11:58:06 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 23, 2011 at 12:04:35 PM

And then there are those people...like you, who bop on in out of the blue, and make "knowledgeable" pronouncements and judgements on what is BS & crap...bottom line...the price increase is FACT...it's nice for you that you managed to secure yours for $149.00...some folks have gotten them for free, others have not...still the official AT&T price after 1/23/11 will be $199.00...next...so happy your MicroCell is working well...as a mattter of fact, so is mine...if you'd bothered to read some of the other posts in this forum you'd have discovered though that a lot of other people ARE having major issues with their MicroCells...but I know...people just want to whine and complain, in your "learned" opinion.  Again...if you'd bothered to do any research, you'd have found that the $199.00 pirce increase has been widely reported on and is based on a leaked AT&T document and not "made up" by anyone here.  {Please keep it courteous}

And then there are those people...like you, who bop on in out of the blue, and make "knowledgeable" pronouncements and judgements on what is BS & crap...bottom line...the price increase is FACT...it's nice for you that you managed to secure yours for $149.00...some folks have gotten them for free, others have not...still the official AT&T price after 1/23/11 will be $199.00...next...so happy your MicroCell is working well...as a mattter of fact, so is mine...if you'd bothered to read some of the other posts in this forum you'd have discovered though that a lot of other people ARE having major issues with their MicroCells...but I know...people just want to whine and complain, in your "learned" opinion.  Again...if you'd bothered to do any research, you'd have found that the $199.00 pirce increase has been widely reported on and is based on a leaked AT&T document and not "made up" by anyone here.  {Please keep it courteous}

[ Edited ]
9 of 10 (9,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 8:22:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just bought one today. Yes, the price is $200. But it didn't take much to have the manager override that back down to $150.

It also, surprisingly, didn't take much to get customer service to refund the entire purchase price to my wireless account in the form of two bill credits once I got the unit home and set up. My position was that it was absurd for me to pay money for technology to make it possible for AT&T to uphold their end of the contract. I told them they could either give me the MicroCell for free so I can use my phone or they could cancel my contract without any early termination fees, it was their choice. The entire phone call lasted maybe 10 mins.

So now we shall see if the thing is reliable. But so far I'm happy to finally be able to check my email and answer my phone without bolting downstairs and out the back door (and still losing signal 85% of the time).

Just bought one today. Yes, the price is $200. But it didn't take much to have the manager override that back down to $150.

It also, surprisingly, didn't take much to get customer service to refund the entire purchase price to my wireless account in the form of two bill credits once I got the unit home and set up. My position was that it was absurd for me to pay money for technology to make it possible for AT&T to uphold their end of the contract. I told them they could either give me the MicroCell for free so I can use my phone or they could cancel my contract without any early termination fees, it was their choice. The entire phone call lasted maybe 10 mins.

So now we shall see if the thing is reliable. But so far I'm happy to finally be able to check my email and answer my phone without bolting downstairs and out the back door (and still losing signal 85% of the time).

10 of 10 (8,118 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments