MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103?

Contributor

MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103?

I just bought a MicroCell and have been spending half the morning trying to get it activated.  Each time I try to activate it, I eventually get a Activation Failed message about 10-20 minutes into the activation process.  All the other lights (except computer) are solid green except the cell bar one that keeps flashing green.

After each failed activation attempt, AT&T sends me a text message indicating the failure and noting Error 103.  Does anyone know what Error 103 is?

I called the customer support and they set up a ticket to have it looked into.  Hopefully, I'll hear back from them.

Here's my setup:

VisionNet ADSL 202 Modem connected to an Airport Extreme base station (the Airport base station connects to the modem via PPOE, so I can't setup the MicroCell in "priority" mode directly to the DSL modem).

In checking this forum, it sounds like there might be some issues with the MicroCell and the Airport Extreme base station.  Is that correct?  Is there anything I can do to try and troubleshoot this to get it to work.

Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 28 (8,980 Views)
Tutor

Re: MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103 + FTC193

Although much of what you describe fits my situation, one point is very different.  I do not live in a remote rural area.  Online maps, my Garmin GPS, and my iPhone all correctly identify my location.  Even the street level view shows my house.  The address on the AT&T website is correct.  Just to test things, I have tried several nearby addresses, but no change.  I have spent about 5 hours on the phone with an AT&T tech and been in close communication with my cable provider.  I returned the first Microcell, which I purchased on May 18, to the store for a replacement.  Even had two people from the cable company come to my house with assurances that they are going to research this device and come back on Monday.  I have tried all three configurations with a Linksys cable modem and a Cisco Valet Plus router.  The 3G light continues to flash, and I have received several texts and emails from AT&T with the error code 103.  The FTC193 is also on the activation webpage.  The AT&T tech says that something is preventing packets from coming through to them from the Microcell.  My ISP does not block ports or filter packets, the line test shows a clean line, and I have great internet connection and speed.  Two other people in this town who have the same ISP were able to connect their Microcell immediately, with their connection through their routers and no configuration changes to the settings on their routers.  This seems to be a problem that makes no logical sense, but there must be an answer somewhere.   Pinning it down is the puzzle.

Message 16 of 28 (8,438 Views)
Tutor

Re: MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103?

Just got Microcell to work

I have had the same 103 error with blinking 3G cell lights for the past 24 hrs. Multiple calls to AT&T got me nowhere.

I logged into Google earth and visually located my home. Then took the longitude and latitude coordinates and went to website:

http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

I used this site to convert coordinates to decimal format then used "Batch Mode (Reverse)" to find my address.

The address shown on the site was the same street name but different street number. (.2 mile difference in location)

I then went to AT&T microcell website, disconnected my device and set up new service using the different street address.

1/2 later the 3g lights went solid green and I got a conformation that the microcell service had been activated.

Message 17 of 28 (7,643 Views)
Teacher

So you were able to disconnect the device from your account? Even while it said "Pending"? Mine will not disconnect, it simply reloads the same page over and over and will not remove it. ATT said it is because the status is "Pending" and it cannot be disconnected while it has that status.

Message 18 of 28 (7,632 Views)

Even after "Activation Failed", you still cannot disconnect the device.  It will go to the "confirm disconnect" Web page which I had never seen before, and said it was disconnected, but it wasn't.  When I went to do online registration again, it took me directly to the status page instead of asking for the online information again.  

This web site and activation process is just messed up.  

Message 19 of 28 (7,581 Views)
Teacher

I just noticed I got a text message from ATT about 1 hour ago that said "MicroCell issues have been resolved. Please reconnect your device and wait 90 minutes for activation."

The thing is, I've been trying for the last hour and nothing. Ill reset yet again and see what happens.

Message 20 of 28 (7,572 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem as mentioned above for the last 72 hours.  (The bars lights flashing, other lights normal, can't disconnect device, error 103, etc.)  I went to the US postal website link on a previous post in this thread & and then went to my microcell settings page and added this address as another location.  I then changed the new entry to primary location and deleted my first entry.  I got a confirmation email of activation within 5 minutes and it seems to be working fine.  

BTW, my address was correct on the postal website except I had "Dr" & the postal website had "DR".......I'm not sure if addresses are case sensitive, but it got my microcell out of no man's land.  

It's pretty {word filter evasion} bad to have to fix service issues by listening to other customers instead of company employees.....especially when we are buying something to improve service that we are already paying for!

Message 21 of 28 (5,345 Views)
Contributor

I'm in the same boat as most others here. My activation failed. When I attempt to disconnect my microcell, the page just refreshes and nothing happens.

Wondering if they ever intend on getting this issue resolved, because it seems like it has been going on for days. Additionally, it's sucks that AT&Ts Microcell call center still took the day off when they are having outages like this. I'm sure they could afford to cut into their profit margins enough to pay from some overtime to take care of their customers.

In case there is anyone who hasn't found it yet...for all MicroCell Tech support call 888-334-3787 and use code 88346 when prompted. 

Message 22 of 28 (5,335 Views)
Tutor

Legionnaire1211 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as most others here. My activation failed. When I attempt to disconnect my microcell, the page just refreshes and nothing happens.

Wondering if they ever intend on getting this issue resolved, because it seems like it has been going on for days. Additionally, it's sucks that AT&Ts Microcell call center still took the day off when they are having outages like this. I'm sure they could afford to cut into their profit margins enough to pay from some overtime to take care of their customers.

In case there is anyone who hasn't found it yet...for all MicroCell Tech support call 888-334-3787 and use code 88346 when prompted. 

When your activation fails, does the GPS light become solid prior to that?  How long does it take for it to become solid?

Message 23 of 28 (5,263 Views)
Contributor

Thanks Planet-Ed for your post. I have a follow-up question:
You mentioned that you set your DHCP Beginning Address to 100, but what about your DHCP Ending Address? My default was 100 (i.e. 10.0.1.100) and it seemed weird to have both the beginning and ending be the same. I don't know enough about DHCP to know if that's all right, but please let me know whether you changed the ending address as well.
Also: I'm using Airport Express, not Extreme, and if you (or anyone else) has found a way to get the Microcell to work with Airport Express, but let me know how you did it.
Thanks.

Planet-Ed wrote:

Is this the DSL modem/router you have?  It looks like there is a lot going on inside these VisionNet modems with its own NAT, firewall, IP filters, DMZ etc etc that can also cause issues.  

http://www.dqtechnologyinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139&Itemid=127〈=en

http://www.dqtechnologyinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=124〈=en

I know myself and a few others here have the AirPort Extreme and its working fine.  This is how mine is set up.

Open the AirPort Utility.  On the left double-click on the router your wanting to set up (some people have more than one).

Click Internet in the top menu and then the DHCP tab.  I changed the DHCP Beginning Address so it ends in 100.  Now under the DHCP Reservation you will want to click the + button.  In the Description I called mine "AT&T MicroCell 3G" without the quotes of course.  Check to make sure the MAC Address box it checked and then click Continue.  Enter the MAC address for the MicroCell.  You can find it on the bottom of the MicroCell.  I always enter mine using the colon between ever 2 digits.  So it will look something like this XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX when done.  Next for the IPv4 Address for the last part I set mine to 10 so on mine is 10.0.1.10 .. Now click Done.

Next click the NAT tab.  Click the Enable default host at: box and use the same 10 number like above.  Then click Update.  What the default host does is sets that IP address in the DMZ basically opening it up to all the ports.

After the router restarts I would unplug the MicroCell, wait a minute and then plug it back in to make sure it changes its IP address to what we set above.  Be patient as it can a little bit to get the green signal bar on the MicroCell to lock back up solid.

Message 24 of 28 (4,954 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Hello, any chance of getting the port forwarding settings and any other settings for the Airport Extreme? I followed you example and still can't get the MicroCell to work.

Message 25 of 28 (4,667 Views)
Teacher

There needs to be a class action law suit filed against AT&T for all the mindless headaches they have caused. I have tried configuration A,B, and C at least 10 times each and I am always the one to blame. I have purchased a new router, opened ports 123, 443, 500, 4500 even called connect tech at the tune of $104 just to find out my settings were fine. It was AT&T's fault all along and they knew it! My address when following GPS coordinates show my house to be .2 miles away! And they knew it was error 103 all along. The server was talking to the cell and timing out was never an issue! This has been a wild goose chase all along. My guess is that the CEO of connect tech is related to some of the top brass at AT&T. They have known about this problem all along. I wish there was some way of finding out how many people there are whi shelled out hard earned money to resolve an issue what was AT&T's all along. Wonder if anyone has ever changed configuration and it actually worked.
I disconnected my microcell on Saturday, packed it up to return it only to receive a message at 3am Sunday 1300 miles away from home that the microcell activation error 103 just happened and to call customer support. I called knowing my wife who hates electronics would never lose a minutes sleep to hook up a microcell! The customer service guy was as rude as &)&& and said I should disconnect the microcell from my phone and I need to do it from a computer! What a R E T A R D! I am in no way going to reset, reconfigure, or re-anything with this antenna again. I don't need to trouble shoot anything as I now know what the problem is. It's the GPS coordinates that do not conform to the address! They think that GPS predominates over the actual address. I am now out over $400 and they knew all along what the problem was! I am contacting an attorney to discuss legal action. This is total BS and I know they know what the problem is. If 911 service doesn't know where my address is then they sure don't know where 36.2048105 -85.2767767880 is! So Mr.AT&T customer service rep. Fuss at me again for your mistake. Send me a text again at 3am!
And yes error 103 is a location error. If they tell you anything else they are told to lie! There supervisor listens to every call! Who cares what my GPS coordinates are??? Call the police and say I'm at GPS -86.334 and 33.7399 see if they ever show up!
Message 26 of 28 (4,563 Views)
Teacher

I forgot! Have a nice day!
Message 27 of 28 (4,562 Views)
Contributor

I was experiencing the same problem and your post saved me many hours on the phone with AT&T. I ran through the process as you outlined, which mapped to an address .11 miles down the street - I changed the address in the MicroCell activation and it worked! Thank you for taking the time to share this information - I really appreciate it!

Message 28 of 28 (3,355 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.