Wireless Forums

Posted May 28, 2010
1:12:19 PM
View profile
MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103?

I just bought a MicroCell and have been spending half the morning trying to get it activated.  Each time I try to activate it, I eventually get a Activation Failed message about 10-20 minutes into the activation process.  All the other lights (except computer) are solid green except the cell bar one that keeps flashing green.

After each failed activation attempt, AT&T sends me a text message indicating the failure and noting Error 103.  Does anyone know what Error 103 is?

I called the customer support and they set up a ticket to have it looked into.  Hopefully, I'll hear back from them.

Here's my setup:

VisionNet ADSL 202 Modem connected to an Airport Extreme base station (the Airport base station connects to the modem via PPOE, so I can't setup the MicroCell in "priority" mode directly to the DSL modem).

In checking this forum, it sounds like there might be some issues with the MicroCell and the Airport Extreme base station.  Is that correct?  Is there anything I can do to try and troubleshoot this to get it to work.

Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I just bought a MicroCell and have been spending half the morning trying to get it activated.  Each time I try to activate it, I eventually get a Activation Failed message about 10-20 minutes into the activation process.  All the other lights (except computer) are solid green except the cell bar one that keeps flashing green.

After each failed activation attempt, AT&T sends me a text message indicating the failure and noting Error 103.  Does anyone know what Error 103 is?

I called the customer support and they set up a ticket to have it looked into.  Hopefully, I'll hear back from them.

Here's my setup:

VisionNet ADSL 202 Modem connected to an Airport Extreme base station (the Airport base station connects to the modem via PPOE, so I can't setup the MicroCell in "priority" mode directly to the DSL modem).

In checking this forum, it sounds like there might be some issues with the MicroCell and the Airport Extreme base station.  Is that correct?  Is there anything I can do to try and troubleshoot this to get it to work.

Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103?

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2010 2:27:47 PM
(0)
Master

Is this the DSL modem/router you have?  It looks like there is a lot going on inside these VisionNet modems with its own NAT, firewall, IP filters, DMZ etc etc that can also cause issues.  

http://www.dqtechnologyinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139&Itemid=127〈=en

http://www.dqtechnologyinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=124〈=en

I know myself and a few others here have the AirPort Extreme and its working fine.  This is how mine is set up.

Open the AirPort Utility.  On the left double-click on the router your wanting to set up (some people have more than one).

Click Internet in the top menu and then the DHCP tab.  I changed the DHCP Beginning Address so it ends in 100.  Now under the DHCP Reservation you will want to click the + button.  In the Description I called mine "AT&T MicroCell 3G" without the quotes of course.  Check to make sure the MAC Address box it checked and then click Continue.  Enter the MAC address for the MicroCell.  You can find it on the bottom of the MicroCell.  I always enter mine using the colon between ever 2 digits.  So it will look something like this XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX when done.  Next for the IPv4 Address for the last part I set mine to 10 so on mine is 10.0.1.10 .. Now click Done.

Next click the NAT tab.  Click the Enable default host at: box and use the same 10 number like above.  Then click Update.  What the default host does is sets that IP address in the DMZ basically opening it up to all the ports.

After the router restarts I would unplug the MicroCell, wait a minute and then plug it back in to make sure it changes its IP address to what we set above.  Be patient as it can a little bit to get the green signal bar on the MicroCell to lock back up solid.

Is this the DSL modem/router you have?  It looks like there is a lot going on inside these VisionNet modems with its own NAT, firewall, IP filters, DMZ etc etc that can also cause issues.  

http://www.dqtechnologyinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139&Itemid=127〈=en

http://www.dqtechnologyinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=124〈=en

I know myself and a few others here have the AirPort Extreme and its working fine.  This is how mine is set up.

Open the AirPort Utility.  On the left double-click on the router your wanting to set up (some people have more than one).

Click Internet in the top menu and then the DHCP tab.  I changed the DHCP Beginning Address so it ends in 100.  Now under the DHCP Reservation you will want to click the + button.  In the Description I called mine "AT&T MicroCell 3G" without the quotes of course.  Check to make sure the MAC Address box it checked and then click Continue.  Enter the MAC address for the MicroCell.  You can find it on the bottom of the MicroCell.  I always enter mine using the colon between ever 2 digits.  So it will look something like this XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX when done.  Next for the IPv4 Address for the last part I set mine to 10 so on mine is 10.0.1.10 .. Now click Done.

Next click the NAT tab.  Click the Enable default host at: box and use the same 10 number like above.  Then click Update.  What the default host does is sets that IP address in the DMZ basically opening it up to all the ports.

After the router restarts I would unplug the MicroCell, wait a minute and then plug it back in to make sure it changes its IP address to what we set above.  Be patient as it can a little bit to get the green signal bar on the MicroCell to lock back up solid.

Re: MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103?

2 of 28 (8,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2010 2:54:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the follow up Planet-Ed!  I appreciate it.

The VisionNet modem that I have is the ADSL 202 Modem that's the second of the links.  However, I have my Airport Extreme setup via PPOE to login to the modem directly, which I believe bypasses the NAT, firewall, IP filters, DMZ issues on this modem (I don't know this for sure).  We had to do this because with the ADSL 202 Modem logging into the PPOE and the Airport Extreme connected, there was a Double NAT issue.  Having the Airport Extreme do the PPOE has eliminated this issue.

I saw one of your earlier posts with the DHCP reservation method and did exactly this on my Airport Extreme and re-ran the activation process.   However, I'm still getting the same Activation Failed message, Error 103.  I wish someone out there had a guide to what the error messages mean.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your assistance.

Thanks for the follow up Planet-Ed!  I appreciate it.

The VisionNet modem that I have is the ADSL 202 Modem that's the second of the links.  However, I have my Airport Extreme setup via PPOE to login to the modem directly, which I believe bypasses the NAT, firewall, IP filters, DMZ issues on this modem (I don't know this for sure).  We had to do this because with the ADSL 202 Modem logging into the PPOE and the Airport Extreme connected, there was a Double NAT issue.  Having the Airport Extreme do the PPOE has eliminated this issue.

I saw one of your earlier posts with the DHCP reservation method and did exactly this on my Airport Extreme and re-ran the activation process.   However, I'm still getting the same Activation Failed message, Error 103.  I wish someone out there had a guide to what the error messages mean.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your assistance.

3 of 28 (8,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2010 1:09:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

I too have been unable to connect with my microcell  over the last 2 weeks despite 6 phone contacts with technical support. 

I also receive multiple "activation failure error 103" via email.  I reset the router, tried directly connecting to the modem , etc and to no avail.  Some of our trouble shooting related to my address-I live out in the country and my actual address and GPS location may not be close enough .  As I am sure you know when trying to activate the microcell, it gets a GPS location and sends that to AT&T.  Presumably AT&T  then correlates that with the address you put in when registering the microcell.  Tech support inferred the problem when they said my latitude and longitude were a "couple of digits off". Just a couple of days ago I received a message saying"The problem is a known issue and we are working to resolve it.". 

My thought is for you to play a bit with your address on the microcell registration page and see if you can tweak it. You might start by popping your address into Google and see where it lands-tweak the address so it really lands on your location.  Just a thought-I don't know if it will work. 

Would greatly appreciate any feedback you might have after trying this.  Anyone out there have anything to add?

Signed,

Desperate for signal!!!!!

I too have been unable to connect with my microcell  over the last 2 weeks despite 6 phone contacts with technical support. 

I also receive multiple "activation failure error 103" via email.  I reset the router, tried directly connecting to the modem , etc and to no avail.  Some of our trouble shooting related to my address-I live out in the country and my actual address and GPS location may not be close enough .  As I am sure you know when trying to activate the microcell, it gets a GPS location and sends that to AT&T.  Presumably AT&T  then correlates that with the address you put in when registering the microcell.  Tech support inferred the problem when they said my latitude and longitude were a "couple of digits off". Just a couple of days ago I received a message saying"The problem is a known issue and we are working to resolve it.". 

My thought is for you to play a bit with your address on the microcell registration page and see if you can tweak it. You might start by popping your address into Google and see where it lands-tweak the address so it really lands on your location.  Just a thought-I don't know if it will work. 

Would greatly appreciate any feedback you might have after trying this.  Anyone out there have anything to add?

Signed,

Desperate for signal!!!!!

4 of 28 (8,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2010 8:09:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

Make sure IPSec Passthrough is enabled on your router.

Make sure IPSec Passthrough is enabled on your router.

5 of 28 (8,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 3:30:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I, too, have been trying unsuccessfully for over two weeks to activate my 3G Microcell.  I have tried both configuration A and B.  I have spent about two hours on the phone with an AT&T technician, and have exchanged the microcell for another one, all to no avail.  There is no firewall blocking anything, the cable modem is a Linksys modem with nothing but passthrough capabilities.  My internet connection is very good, and my ISP reports that they do not block any ports.  Anybody else still having this problem or find any solutions?  I am getting frustrated and desperate.  We do not have a landline and I am tired of dropped calls.

I, too, have been trying unsuccessfully for over two weeks to activate my 3G Microcell.  I have tried both configuration A and B.  I have spent about two hours on the phone with an AT&T technician, and have exchanged the microcell for another one, all to no avail.  There is no firewall blocking anything, the cable modem is a Linksys modem with nothing but passthrough capabilities.  My internet connection is very good, and my ISP reports that they do not block any ports.  Anybody else still having this problem or find any solutions?  I am getting frustrated and desperate.  We do not have a landline and I am tired of dropped calls.

6 of 28 (8,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 9:24:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

@baylorgal

At the time that you get the activation failure, which lights on the MicroCell are lit and which are not?

What is the brand/model of your modem and your router (if one exists)?

@baylorgal

At the time that you get the activation failure, which lights on the MicroCell are lit and which are not?

What is the brand/model of your modem and your router (if one exists)?

7 of 28 (8,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 10:26:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Got a bit farther today-received a call from AT&T.  He confirmed what I had suspected in my earlier post-error 103 (with the resulting flashing 3G light) does refer to an address mismatch. 

That is, the location determined by the GPS in the microcell and the location of the address one enters online for microcell activation must match.  For the online address you enter, they use the United States postal service website (http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp).  They typed in my address there to confirm that my address was valid (which it was).  They are now going to put in a ticket to enter a GPS offset (my theory) so it will work. 

It does puzzle me  a great deal as to why engineering did NOT tell tech support earlier about what this error means.  Hours were spent by me and the otherwise helpful AT&T  support trying to figure out what the nature of the problem was.

I'll let you all know if in fact my problem is solved-they will call back tommorrow and let me know about the fix........

Got a bit farther today-received a call from AT&T.  He confirmed what I had suspected in my earlier post-error 103 (with the resulting flashing 3G light) does refer to an address mismatch. 

That is, the location determined by the GPS in the microcell and the location of the address one enters online for microcell activation must match.  For the online address you enter, they use the United States postal service website (http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp).  They typed in my address there to confirm that my address was valid (which it was).  They are now going to put in a ticket to enter a GPS offset (my theory) so it will work. 

It does puzzle me  a great deal as to why engineering did NOT tell tech support earlier about what this error means.  Hours were spent by me and the otherwise helpful AT&T  support trying to figure out what the nature of the problem was.

I'll let you all know if in fact my problem is solved-they will call back tommorrow and let me know about the fix........

8 of 28 (8,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 1:09:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

All of the lights on the microcell are steady except the 3g light which keeps blinking.  I have used both the Motorola Surboard 5101 modem that my IP provided as well as a Linksys BEFCMU10 that I purchased.  My wireless router is a Cisco Valet Plus.  We have tried both Option A and Option C.  I spent about two hours on the phone with an AT&T tech and nothing that we tried would give me a steady 3g light. 

All of the lights on the microcell are steady except the 3g light which keeps blinking.  I have used both the Motorola Surboard 5101 modem that my IP provided as well as a Linksys BEFCMU10 that I purchased.  My wireless router is a Cisco Valet Plus.  We have tried both Option A and Option C.  I spent about two hours on the phone with an AT&T tech and nothing that we tried would give me a steady 3g light. 

9 of 28 (8,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 5:35:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Problem solved. Fairly certain error 103 that I was receiving was an address mismatch (see my discussion above) They fixed it and it works just great.

Problem solved. Fairly certain error 103 that I was receiving was an address mismatch (see my discussion above) They fixed it and it works just great.

10 of 28 (7,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 5:58:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi mnigogos, I think I got my issue squared away as well. 

After a few talks with AT&T customer service (it took them 5 days initially to call me back from my original post!), it appears that the address I'm using the Microcell at is not in their database.   The address I registered for activation kept automatically changing to a wrong zip code after I entered it in the system.  In essence, it was the wrong address and wrong zip code.  Error 103 was the result of an incorrect address in their system.

The customer service person I spoke to today found an address down the street that was correctly noted in the system with the right zip code.  He said I could use that address and the MicroCell would work, but with the caveat that the E911 service would note the wrong house.  He said this would be a temporary fix until they could update their database to put in the right address for my location.  I reactivated the MicroCell remotely with this temporary address and it activated.  I have not had a chance to test it out yet though.  I also received a call from customer service saying that they say the device was activated so they think the problem is solved - I need to call them back to make sure they correct their database with the right address so I can properly register the MicroCell. 

It looks like a little more hassle, but I should be good to go here shortly.  Thanks again for your assistance.  Greatly appreciated!

Hi mnigogos, I think I got my issue squared away as well. 

After a few talks with AT&T customer service (it took them 5 days initially to call me back from my original post!), it appears that the address I'm using the Microcell at is not in their database.   The address I registered for activation kept automatically changing to a wrong zip code after I entered it in the system.  In essence, it was the wrong address and wrong zip code.  Error 103 was the result of an incorrect address in their system.

The customer service person I spoke to today found an address down the street that was correctly noted in the system with the right zip code.  He said I could use that address and the MicroCell would work, but with the caveat that the E911 service would note the wrong house.  He said this would be a temporary fix until they could update their database to put in the right address for my location.  I reactivated the MicroCell remotely with this temporary address and it activated.  I have not had a chance to test it out yet though.  I also received a call from customer service saying that they say the device was activated so they think the problem is solved - I need to call them back to make sure they correct their database with the right address so I can properly register the MicroCell. 

It looks like a little more hassle, but I should be good to go here shortly.  Thanks again for your assistance.  Greatly appreciated!

11 of 28 (7,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 6:15:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

That nails it-Error 103= location mismatch.  Glad I could help!

That nails it-Error 103= location mismatch.  Glad I could help!

12 of 28 (7,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 8:54:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

The AT&T tech I have been communicating with said that error 103 is not related just to location mismatch.  In my case, there appears to be an issue of fragmented packets being blocked.  This is strange to me, because even with the microcell plugged directly into the cable modem, the same error occurs.  I have talked with a level 2 tech person with my cable company who assured me that nothing is being blocked.  Others in my city with the same cable company are not having any issues with the microcell.  The AT&T tech told me that my cable modem needed to be configured to enable fragmentation, but there is nothing that will allow me to make any changes on the modem.  I have a Linksys BEFCMU10 that I purchased.  When I first purchased the microcell, I had a Motorola Surfboard 5101 provided by the cable company.  Same issue.  I'm tired of seeing a blinking 3g light.  Any ideas?

The AT&T tech I have been communicating with said that error 103 is not related just to location mismatch.  In my case, there appears to be an issue of fragmented packets being blocked.  This is strange to me, because even with the microcell plugged directly into the cable modem, the same error occurs.  I have talked with a level 2 tech person with my cable company who assured me that nothing is being blocked.  Others in my city with the same cable company are not having any issues with the microcell.  The AT&T tech told me that my cable modem needed to be configured to enable fragmentation, but there is nothing that will allow me to make any changes on the modem.  I have a Linksys BEFCMU10 that I purchased.  When I first purchased the microcell, I had a Motorola Surfboard 5101 provided by the cable company.  Same issue.  I'm tired of seeing a blinking 3g light.  Any ideas?

13 of 28 (7,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2010 4:31:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I suppose the true meaning of Error Code 103 is uncertain.  Perhaps the "address mismatch" was about networks, not street addresses?  

If anyone gets more information about the meaning, corroborating or not, please reply here.  

I have also received the email with subject "Activation Failure (Error 103)".  The tech support person I talked to did not have any idea what the error meant.

I was unable to deactivate my 3G Microcell by using the link  "Disconnect Your 3G Microcell Device" because the submit Disconnect web page did not work: it only sent a short msg to the server and redisplayed the same Disconnect or Cancel page; neither logging in again nor changing browsers could put the server side into activation Pending mode.

I found a workaround:   use "Add a New 3G MicroCell Device Location" to add your same address (perhaps with some minor variation like St. instead of Street).  Making that new location active will trigger device activation, and that way you can try again.  The device status on the page changed to Pending in a few minutes after I did this.  

I suppose the true meaning of Error Code 103 is uncertain.  Perhaps the "address mismatch" was about networks, not street addresses?  

If anyone gets more information about the meaning, corroborating or not, please reply here.  

I have also received the email with subject "Activation Failure (Error 103)".  The tech support person I talked to did not have any idea what the error meant.

I was unable to deactivate my 3G Microcell by using the link  "Disconnect Your 3G Microcell Device" because the submit Disconnect web page did not work: it only sent a short msg to the server and redisplayed the same Disconnect or Cancel page; neither logging in again nor changing browsers could put the server side into activation Pending mode.

I found a workaround:   use "Add a New 3G MicroCell Device Location" to add your same address (perhaps with some minor variation like St. instead of Street).  Making that new location active will trigger device activation, and that way you can try again.  The device status on the page changed to Pending in a few minutes after I did this.  

Re: "de 103?

14 of 28 (7,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 7:45:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you all for the information you provided in this thread.  It helped me convince the AT&T technicians that the address mismatch was the problem -- and it was!  After over 20 hours of troubleshooting, every conceivable option with no luck, everything always pointed back to the address mismatch.  I'm going to list the particulars of my situation.  If it's looking familiar to you, then I highly suggest you persist with tech support -- at first they will be very resistant -- but keep on them and get them to override your address location.

Persistent Errors:

• Error 103 -- Seen in text messages and email indicating failed activation.
  • FTC193 -- Seen on the activation webpage after activation failed.
  • My guess is that these two errors are linked to this particular problem.
  • Power, Internet, and GPS lights all consistently solid.  3G indicator, always flashing.

My location:

• Very remote and rural.  Yet, AT&T coverage maps indicate that I should have the strongest possible EDGE (2G) network coverage.  So I am well within their service area. (Too bad I do not receive indicated service.)
  • No online mapping service has an accurate map of my neighborhood: Google, Yahoo!, and Bing all get it wrong.  More telling, they all get it wrong in a different way.  Though no one at AT&T seems to know who supplies their mapping data, it is probably a service like NAVTEQ which is a supplier to many mapping applications.
  • My 3G MicroCell reports the correct latitude and longitude coordinates to the AT&T technicians.  This point is important when the technicians inevitably have you running in circles trying to troubleshoot your equipment.  Logically, if the MicroCell is reporting latitude and longitude information to AT&T then it must be talking to their service somehow.  In other words, despite their insistence, it was not a problem with my home network, equipment or ISP.
  • Once AT&T pulls the GPS coordinates it often shows them being 30 miles east or west of my actual location.  In fairness, I suspect that this is not the fault of AT&T, and actually is the problem with their map data provider.
  • Some people have suggested using a different nearby address.  For me that is improbable given the previous point.  Also, it defeats the whole point of having an address associated -- proper E911 reporting.  My advice: Don't let AT&T talk you into using the wrong address.  Having the right E911 information might save a life one day.  Instead, respectfully request that AT&T address this problem in their system.  It should not take countless hours on the part of each affected customer to make a simple correction to their database.
My Equipment:
  • I have a steady 8 mbps down / 725 kbps up DSL connection.  What's that mean?  I can stream two separate HD video streams to two devices and still surf the web and remote into my corporate network without noticing any lag.  It should be fast enough for a simple voice call.
  • I use a Westell DSL modem.
  • It is connected to an Apple Time Capsule router.  The router components of this device are very similar to an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station.
  • My 3G MicroCell is connected to the Apple Time Capsule router.
  • The 3G MicroCell does not require any special settings changes to the Time Capsule to permit the service to work.  I didn't have to open up ports 500 or 4500 or anything like that.
Troubleshooting History:
  • I've spent at least 20 hours trying every suggestion the AT&T support technicians had.  Most of them several times just to be sure.
  • I've tried configuration options A, B, and C -- that did not solve the problem.
  • I tried opening up ports 500 & 4500 -- that did not solve the problem.
  • I tried plugging the 3G MicroCell directly into the modem with all firewalls turned completely off -- that did not solve the problem.
  • I tried returning an original unit to the store and then tried a replacement -- that did not solve the problem.
  • I tried many other configuration settings and connections (like those listed on page 6 of the troubleshooting PDF) as well, but in the end -- that did not solve the problem.
What Seemed to Work:
In the end, I put everything back to its normal operating condition.  Plugged in the MicroCell just like any other device and pointed the technicians to this thread.  After two hours of going back and forth, making them focus on this thread, they finally agreed to do a GPS offset.  And suddenly, when that happened, my 3G MicroCell started working.  I got a text message and email from AT&T indicating that activation was successful.
Now the bad news:
The activation worked for slightly over 24 hours, but now I'm back in the same spot.  I suspect that whatever kind of override they did somehow reverted.  In fact when I look at the Activation webpage it is showing the wrong address again.  I think they are starting to address the issue, but haven't quite realized the scope or how to make it a systematic and permanent fix.
I would like to also mention that everyone I talked to about this was very polite and professional, even though they weren't able to help.  Unlike many others in these forums, their technicians always called me back when they said they would, and always within a day.  I was extremely disappointed in AT&T's phone system, constantly getting dumped -- I finally resorted to making them immediately call me back, because it would be 10-20 minutes navigating through their system to find someone who even knew what a 3G MicroCell was.  If you call, make sure you ask for the Laptop Connect department.
I hope this information helps anyone else struggling with these issues.
If you are, and you think you're in a similar situation, then point your AT&T technicians to this thread.

Thank you all for the information you provided in this thread.  It helped me convince the AT&T technicians that the address mismatch was the problem -- and it was!  After over 20 hours of troubleshooting, every conceivable option with no luck, everything always pointed back to the address mismatch.  I'm going to list the particulars of my situation.  If it's looking familiar to you, then I highly suggest you persist with tech support -- at first they will be very resistant -- but keep on them and get them to override your address location.

Persistent Errors:

• Error 103 -- Seen in text messages and email indicating failed activation.
  • FTC193 -- Seen on the activation webpage after activation failed.
  • My guess is that these two errors are linked to this particular problem.
  • Power, Internet, and GPS lights all consistently solid.  3G indicator, always flashing.

My location:

• Very remote and rural.  Yet, AT&T coverage maps indicate that I should have the strongest possible EDGE (2G) network coverage.  So I am well within their service area. (Too bad I do not receive indicated service.)
  • No online mapping service has an accurate map of my neighborhood: Google, Yahoo!, and Bing all get it wrong.  More telling, they all get it wrong in a different way.  Though no one at AT&T seems to know who supplies their mapping data, it is probably a service like NAVTEQ which is a supplier to many mapping applications.
  • My 3G MicroCell reports the correct latitude and longitude coordinates to the AT&T technicians.  This point is important when the technicians inevitably have you running in circles trying to troubleshoot your equipment.  Logically, if the MicroCell is reporting latitude and longitude information to AT&T then it must be talking to their service somehow.  In other words, despite their insistence, it was not a problem with my home network, equipment or ISP.
  • Once AT&T pulls the GPS coordinates it often shows them being 30 miles east or west of my actual location.  In fairness, I suspect that this is not the fault of AT&T, and actually is the problem with their map data provider.
  • Some people have suggested using a different nearby address.  For me that is improbable given the previous point.  Also, it defeats the whole point of having an address associated -- proper E911 reporting.  My advice: Don't let AT&T talk you into using the wrong address.  Having the right E911 information might save a life one day.  Instead, respectfully request that AT&T address this problem in their system.  It should not take countless hours on the part of each affected customer to make a simple correction to their database.
My Equipment:
  • I have a steady 8 mbps down / 725 kbps up DSL connection.  What's that mean?  I can stream two separate HD video streams to two devices and still surf the web and remote into my corporate network without noticing any lag.  It should be fast enough for a simple voice call.
  • I use a Westell DSL modem.
  • It is connected to an Apple Time Capsule router.  The router components of this device are very similar to an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station.
  • My 3G MicroCell is connected to the Apple Time Capsule router.
  • The 3G MicroCell does not require any special settings changes to the Time Capsule to permit the service to work.  I didn't have to open up ports 500 or 4500 or anything like that.
Troubleshooting History:
  • I've spent at least 20 hours trying every suggestion the AT&T support technicians had.  Most of them several times just to be sure.
  • I've tried configuration options A, B, and C -- that did not solve the problem.
  • I tried opening up ports 500 & 4500 -- that did not solve the problem.
  • I tried plugging the 3G MicroCell directly into the modem with all firewalls turned completely off -- that did not solve the problem.
  • I tried returning an original unit to the store and then tried a replacement -- that did not solve the problem.
  • I tried many other configuration settings and connections (like those listed on page 6 of the troubleshooting PDF) as well, but in the end -- that did not solve the problem.
What Seemed to Work:
In the end, I put everything back to its normal operating condition.  Plugged in the MicroCell just like any other device and pointed the technicians to this thread.  After two hours of going back and forth, making them focus on this thread, they finally agreed to do a GPS offset.  And suddenly, when that happened, my 3G MicroCell started working.  I got a text message and email from AT&T indicating that activation was successful.
Now the bad news:
The activation worked for slightly over 24 hours, but now I'm back in the same spot.  I suspect that whatever kind of override they did somehow reverted.  In fact when I look at the Activation webpage it is showing the wrong address again.  I think they are starting to address the issue, but haven't quite realized the scope or how to make it a systematic and permanent fix.
I would like to also mention that everyone I talked to about this was very polite and professional, even though they weren't able to help.  Unlike many others in these forums, their technicians always called me back when they said they would, and always within a day.  I was extremely disappointed in AT&T's phone system, constantly getting dumped -- I finally resorted to making them immediately call me back, because it would be 10-20 minutes navigating through their system to find someone who even knew what a 3G MicroCell was.  If you call, make sure you ask for the Laptop Connect department.
I hope this information helps anyone else struggling with these issues.
If you are, and you think you're in a similar situation, then point your AT&T technicians to this thread.

MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103 + FTC193

15 of 28 (7,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 9:00:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Although much of what you describe fits my situation, one point is very different.  I do not live in a remote rural area.  Online maps, my Garmin GPS, and my iPhone all correctly identify my location.  Even the street level view shows my house.  The address on the AT&T website is correct.  Just to test things, I have tried several nearby addresses, but no change.  I have spent about 5 hours on the phone with an AT&T tech and been in close communication with my cable provider.  I returned the first Microcell, which I purchased on May 18, to the store for a replacement.  Even had two people from the cable company come to my house with assurances that they are going to research this device and come back on Monday.  I have tried all three configurations with a Linksys cable modem and a Cisco Valet Plus router.  The 3G light continues to flash, and I have received several texts and emails from AT&T with the error code 103.  The FTC193 is also on the activation webpage.  The AT&T tech says that something is preventing packets from coming through to them from the Microcell.  My ISP does not block ports or filter packets, the line test shows a clean line, and I have great internet connection and speed.  Two other people in this town who have the same ISP were able to connect their Microcell immediately, with their connection through their routers and no configuration changes to the settings on their routers.  This seems to be a problem that makes no logical sense, but there must be an answer somewhere.   Pinning it down is the puzzle.

Although much of what you describe fits my situation, one point is very different.  I do not live in a remote rural area.  Online maps, my Garmin GPS, and my iPhone all correctly identify my location.  Even the street level view shows my house.  The address on the AT&T website is correct.  Just to test things, I have tried several nearby addresses, but no change.  I have spent about 5 hours on the phone with an AT&T tech and been in close communication with my cable provider.  I returned the first Microcell, which I purchased on May 18, to the store for a replacement.  Even had two people from the cable company come to my house with assurances that they are going to research this device and come back on Monday.  I have tried all three configurations with a Linksys cable modem and a Cisco Valet Plus router.  The 3G light continues to flash, and I have received several texts and emails from AT&T with the error code 103.  The FTC193 is also on the activation webpage.  The AT&T tech says that something is preventing packets from coming through to them from the Microcell.  My ISP does not block ports or filter packets, the line test shows a clean line, and I have great internet connection and speed.  Two other people in this town who have the same ISP were able to connect their Microcell immediately, with their connection through their routers and no configuration changes to the settings on their routers.  This seems to be a problem that makes no logical sense, but there must be an answer somewhere.   Pinning it down is the puzzle.

Re: MicroCell Activation Failed - Error Code 103 + FTC193

16 of 28 (7,865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 4:25:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just got Microcell to work

I have had the same 103 error with blinking 3G cell lights for the past 24 hrs. Multiple calls to AT&T got me nowhere.

I logged into Google earth and visually located my home. Then took the longitude and latitude coordinates and went to website:

http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

I used this site to convert coordinates to decimal format then used "Batch Mode (Reverse)" to find my address.

The address shown on the site was the same street name but different street number. (.2 mile difference in location)

I then went to AT&T microcell website, disconnected my device and set up new service using the different street address.

1/2 later the 3g lights went solid green and I got a conformation that the microcell service had been activated.

Just got Microcell to work

I have had the same 103 error with blinking 3G cell lights for the past 24 hrs. Multiple calls to AT&T got me nowhere.

I logged into Google earth and visually located my home. Then took the longitude and latitude coordinates and went to website:

http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

I used this site to convert coordinates to decimal format then used "Batch Mode (Reverse)" to find my address.

The address shown on the site was the same street name but different street number. (.2 mile difference in location)

I then went to AT&T microcell website, disconnected my device and set up new service using the different street address.

1/2 later the 3g lights went solid green and I got a conformation that the microcell service had been activated.

17 of 28 (7,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 4:40:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

So you were able to disconnect the device from your account? Even while it said "Pending"? Mine will not disconnect, it simply reloads the same page over and over and will not remove it. ATT said it is because the status is "Pending" and it cannot be disconnected while it has that status.

So you were able to disconnect the device from your account? Even while it said "Pending"? Mine will not disconnect, it simply reloads the same page over and over and will not remove it. ATT said it is because the status is "Pending" and it cannot be disconnected while it has that status.

18 of 28 (7,059 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 6:41:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

Even after "Activation Failed", you still cannot disconnect the device.  It will go to the "confirm disconnect" Web page which I had never seen before, and said it was disconnected, but it wasn't.  When I went to do online registration again, it took me directly to the status page instead of asking for the online information again.  

This web site and activation process is just messed up.  

Even after "Activation Failed", you still cannot disconnect the device.  It will go to the "confirm disconnect" Web page which I had never seen before, and said it was disconnected, but it wasn't.  When I went to do online registration again, it took me directly to the status page instead of asking for the online information again.  

This web site and activation process is just messed up.  

19 of 28 (7,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 6:55:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just noticed I got a text message from ATT about 1 hour ago that said "MicroCell issues have been resolved. Please reconnect your device and wait 90 minutes for activation."

The thing is, I've been trying for the last hour and nothing. Ill reset yet again and see what happens.

I just noticed I got a text message from ATT about 1 hour ago that said "MicroCell issues have been resolved. Please reconnect your device and wait 90 minutes for activation."

The thing is, I've been trying for the last hour and nothing. Ill reset yet again and see what happens.

20 of 28 (6,999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 6:50:23 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Helmsman on Jun 27, 2010 at 2:37:46 PM

I had the same problem as mentioned above for the last 72 hours.  (The bars lights flashing, other lights normal, can't disconnect device, error 103, etc.)  I went to the US postal website link on a previous post in this thread & and then went to my microcell settings page and added this address as another location.  I then changed the new entry to primary location and deleted my first entry.  I got a confirmation email of activation within 5 minutes and it seems to be working fine.  

BTW, my address was correct on the postal website except I had "Dr" & the postal website had "DR".......I'm not sure if addresses are case sensitive, but it got my microcell out of no man's land.  

It's pretty {word filter evasion} bad to have to fix service issues by listening to other customers instead of company employees.....especially when we are buying something to improve service that we are already paying for!

I had the same problem as mentioned above for the last 72 hours.  (The bars lights flashing, other lights normal, can't disconnect device, error 103, etc.)  I went to the US postal website link on a previous post in this thread & and then went to my microcell settings page and added this address as another location.  I then changed the new entry to primary location and deleted my first entry.  I got a confirmation email of activation within 5 minutes and it seems to be working fine.  

BTW, my address was correct on the postal website except I had "Dr" & the postal website had "DR".......I'm not sure if addresses are case sensitive, but it got my microcell out of no man's land.  

It's pretty {word filter evasion} bad to have to fix service issues by listening to other customers instead of company employees.....especially when we are buying something to improve service that we are already paying for!

[ Edited ]
21 of 28 (4,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 7:03:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm in the same boat as most others here. My activation failed. When I attempt to disconnect my microcell, the page just refreshes and nothing happens.

Wondering if they ever intend on getting this issue resolved, because it seems like it has been going on for days. Additionally, it's sucks that AT&Ts Microcell call center still took the day off when they are having outages like this. I'm sure they could afford to cut into their profit margins enough to pay from some overtime to take care of their customers.

In case there is anyone who hasn't found it yet...for all MicroCell Tech support call 888-334-3787 and use code 88346 when prompted. 

I'm in the same boat as most others here. My activation failed. When I attempt to disconnect my microcell, the page just refreshes and nothing happens.

Wondering if they ever intend on getting this issue resolved, because it seems like it has been going on for days. Additionally, it's sucks that AT&Ts Microcell call center still took the day off when they are having outages like this. I'm sure they could afford to cut into their profit margins enough to pay from some overtime to take care of their customers.

In case there is anyone who hasn't found it yet...for all MicroCell Tech support call 888-334-3787 and use code 88346 when prompted. 

22 of 28 (4,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 12:51:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Legionnaire1211 wrote:

When your activation fails, does the GPS light become solid prior to that?  How long does it take for it to become solid?

Legionnaire1211 wrote:

When your activation fails, does the GPS light become solid prior to that?  How long does it take for it to become solid?

23 of 28 (4,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 9:23:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks Planet-Ed for your post. I have a follow-up question:
You mentioned that you set your DHCP Beginning Address to 100, but what about your DHCP Ending Address? My default was 100 (i.e. 10.0.1.100) and it seemed weird to have both the beginning and ending be the same. I don't know enough about DHCP to know if that's all right, but please let me know whether you changed the ending address as well.
Also: I'm using Airport Express, not Extreme, and if you (or anyone else) has found a way to get the Microcell to work with Airport Express, but let me know how you did it.
Thanks.

Planet-Ed wrote:

Thanks Planet-Ed for your post. I have a follow-up question:
You mentioned that you set your DHCP Beginning Address to 100, but what about your DHCP Ending Address? My default was 100 (i.e. 10.0.1.100) and it seemed weird to have both the beginning and ending be the same. I don't know enough about DHCP to know if that's all right, but please let me know whether you changed the ending address as well.
Also: I'm using Airport Express, not Extreme, and if you (or anyone else) has found a way to get the Microcell to work with Airport Express, but let me know how you did it.
Thanks.

Planet-Ed wrote:

24 of 28 (4,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 7:20:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hello, any chance of getting the port forwarding settings and any other settings for the Airport Extreme? I followed you example and still can't get the MicroCell to work.

Hello, any chance of getting the port forwarding settings and any other settings for the Airport Extreme? I followed you example and still can't get the MicroCell to work.

25 of 28 (4,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 1:40:57 AM
(0)
Teacher
There needs to be a class action law suit filed against AT&T for all the mindless headaches they have caused. I have tried configuration A,B, and C at least 10 times each and I am always the one to blame. I have purchased a new router, opened ports 123, 443, 500, 4500 even called connect tech at the tune of $104 just to find out my settings were fine. It was AT&T's fault all along and they knew it! My address when following GPS coordinates show my house to be .2 miles away! And they knew it was error 103 all along. The server was talking to the cell and timing out was never an issue! This has been a wild goose chase all along. My guess is that the CEO of connect tech is related to some of the top brass at AT&T. They have known about this problem all along. I wish there was some way of finding out how many people there are whi shelled out hard earned money to resolve an issue what was AT&T's all along. Wonder if anyone has ever changed configuration and it actually worked.
I disconnected my microcell on Saturday, packed it up to return it only to receive a message at 3am Sunday 1300 miles away from home that the microcell activation error 103 just happened and to call customer support. I called knowing my wife who hates electronics would never lose a minutes sleep to hook up a microcell! The customer service guy was as rude as &)&& and said I should disconnect the microcell from my phone and I need to do it from a computer! What a R E T A R D! I am in no way going to reset, reconfigure, or re-anything with this antenna again. I don't need to trouble shoot anything as I now know what the problem is. It's the GPS coordinates that do not conform to the address! They think that GPS predominates over the actual address. I am now out over $400 and they knew all along what the problem was! I am contacting an attorney to discuss legal action. This is total BS and I know they know what the problem is. If 911 service doesn't know where my address is then they sure don't know where 36.2048105 -85.2767767880 is! So Mr.AT&T customer service rep. Fuss at me again for your mistake. Send me a text again at 3am!
And yes error 103 is a location error. If they tell you anything else they are told to lie! There supervisor listens to every call! Who cares what my GPS coordinates are??? Call the police and say I'm at GPS -86.334 and 33.7399 see if they ever show up!
There needs to be a class action law suit filed against AT&T for all the mindless headaches they have caused. I have tried configuration A,B, and C at least 10 times each and I am always the one to blame. I have purchased a new router, opened ports 123, 443, 500, 4500 even called connect tech at the tune of $104 just to find out my settings were fine. It was AT&T's fault all along and they knew it! My address when following GPS coordinates show my house to be .2 miles away! And they knew it was error 103 all along. The server was talking to the cell and timing out was never an issue! This has been a wild goose chase all along. My guess is that the CEO of connect tech is related to some of the top brass at AT&T. They have known about this problem all along. I wish there was some way of finding out how many people there are whi shelled out hard earned money to resolve an issue what was AT&T's all along. Wonder if anyone has ever changed configuration and it actually worked.
I disconnected my microcell on Saturday, packed it up to return it only to receive a message at 3am Sunday 1300 miles away from home that the microcell activation error 103 just happened and to call customer support. I called knowing my wife who hates electronics would never lose a minutes sleep to hook up a microcell! The customer service guy was as rude as &)&& and said I should disconnect the microcell from my phone and I need to do it from a computer! What a R E T A R D! I am in no way going to reset, reconfigure, or re-anything with this antenna again. I don't need to trouble shoot anything as I now know what the problem is. It's the GPS coordinates that do not conform to the address! They think that GPS predominates over the actual address. I am now out over $400 and they knew all along what the problem was! I am contacting an attorney to discuss legal action. This is total BS and I know they know what the problem is. If 911 service doesn't know where my address is then they sure don't know where 36.2048105 -85.2767767880 is! So Mr.AT&T customer service rep. Fuss at me again for your mistake. Send me a text again at 3am!
And yes error 103 is a location error. If they tell you anything else they are told to lie! There supervisor listens to every call! Who cares what my GPS coordinates are??? Call the police and say I'm at GPS -86.334 and 33.7399 see if they ever show up!

26 of 28 (3,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 1:41:55 AM
(0)
Teacher
I forgot! Have a nice day!
I forgot! Have a nice day!

27 of 28 (3,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 9:12:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

I was experiencing the same problem and your post saved me many hours on the phone with AT&T. I ran through the process as you outlined, which mapped to an address .11 miles down the street - I changed the address in the MicroCell activation and it worked! Thank you for taking the time to share this information - I really appreciate it!

I was experiencing the same problem and your post saved me many hours on the phone with AT&T. I ran through the process as you outlined, which mapped to an address .11 miles down the street - I changed the address in the MicroCell activation and it worked! Thank you for taking the time to share this information - I really appreciate it!

28 of 28 (2,782 Views)