Message/Mail Programs iPhone 4S

Mentor

Message/Mail Programs iPhone 4S

Please explain difference between iMessage, Text Message, and E-Mail. Guess messaging applies to contact between phones, i-pads, ipods, etc, while EMail is primarily between computers. But, if your phone handles EMail why need messaging? And, with respect to messaging, the iPhone has a choice to use iMessage and handle SMS and MMS messages. What is all that about?  Thanks for any explanation.

Message 1 of 6 (274 Views)
Guru

Re: Message/Mail Programs iPhone 4S

An iMessage is just like a text message except it uses data instead of a text and can only be sent between another apple device using iOS5 such as an iPad, iPhone or iPod.
Message 2 of 6 (270 Views)
Mentor

Thanks, understand that iMessage is between Apple devices. What has SMS and MMS got to do with it? And, with EMail capability, why do we need messaging? If EMail isn't available in a WIFI area, just make a telephone call. Confusing??

Message 3 of 6 (254 Views)
Guru

It's all personal preference. An SMS is a text message and you need to either have a text message plan or pay something like .10 per text message. If you send an imessage it dowsnt count as a text and is sent as data. You can send email if you like. I think most people prefer text message since it seems just a hair faster than email.
Message 4 of 6 (245 Views)
ACE - Professor

The wireless carriers use SMS to send short messages between handsets using phone numbers to "address" the messages. They later added media attachements to these messages, which gets you an MMS.

Apple released iMessage as a "seamless" upgrade to SMS/MMS (and now, also just as a general messaging system) so it behaves much more like other internet chat systems, and runs over data connections - not the wireless low level channels SMS/MMS use. You address messages to phone numbers or email addresses registered with Apple. iMessage will "fall back" to SMS/MMS automatically if the sender and reciever are both phones.

eMail is slow, heavyweight., and supports much larger, mixed media content. You can send email to any email address, but not (generally) to a phone number.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (232 Views)
Mentor

Thank you Facci and Johninsi for excellent explanations. Helps me very much. If I am not concerned about a fast reply to a message and my response going to a phone number, then eMail is fine. I can make sure I am on WIFI and then just read and answer the message or eMail then. Thanks.

Message 6 of 6 (225 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.