Max vs Ultra?

Mentor

Max vs Ultra?

Is the GT Ultra Express a slower version of the GT MAX 3.6 Express?
Could it be the other way around, or are there other differences?
How do they stack up against the GT 7.2 Ultra Express Card that Amazon is hawking?
Message 1 of 4 (2,285 Views)
LCT
Scholar

Re: Max vs Ultra?

russianbill wrote:
Is the GT Ultra Express a slower version of the GT MAX 3.6 Express?
Could it be the other way around, or are there other differences?
How do they stack up against the GT 7.2 Ultra Express Card that Amazon is hawking?

It depends on whether you are using Mac or PC. 

If you're using a Mac you may want to consider the GT Max 3.6 because of the native support.  Simply plug it in and go...No really, it's that easy!  Smiley Happy With the Ultra on the Mac you're going to need use Options connection software, at least until Apple adds native support for the card.  There's nothing wrong with it, but it is an extra step, and we know how Mac users (myself included) feel about simplicity.

If you're using a PC then the Ultra all the way.  7.2 Mbps max and HSUPA.  Don't forget though the numbers are just that, numbers.  AT&T's network only supports 3.6 in a few markets and HSUPA in even less.  It is new tech after all.  Right now the GT Max 3.6 and the GT Ultra are going to deliver you the same speed.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (2,247 Views)
Contributor

I can confirm with this info.  Under the Option 3.6 Max I plugged it in with my MBP and with 10.5 it worked fine.  It was support native to the OS.  My card died the other day and it was replaced with a Ultra.  The OS simply will not see it and I had to download the Option software - what a kludge!  When it installs it completely takes over the Network settings and completely disable my Airport card.  It also installs over 4 different modem profiles and simply fouls up the box.  I actually went back to the ATT store and asked for my old card to be returned and I would send it in to Option but the manager refused to give it back saying it was a inventory control problem.  In all honesty even though it supports the higher speeds I'm dispointed in the support.
Message 3 of 4 (2,155 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I just switched jobs and my new workplace issued me a macbook pro. However it is still on tiger (10.4.11) am I correct in assuming that it does not have native support for the Option GT Max? I would have to use global connect software which I hear is a cludge?

What would you suggest then? Go for the 875U and use Sierra 3g watcher? I previously had an Sierra 860 and it worked like a charm on my old windows laptop.
Message 4 of 4 (2,123 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.