Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 26, 2010
11:06:58 AM
View profile
Mailbox download error (41)
I haven't been able to get into my hotmail account for two days now. I keep getting this message. I have an msn account (both msn and hotmail are Windows Live Hotmail) and a yahoo account which are both working fine. How do I fix this? I googled and the only thing I found was someone saying they called customer support, were on the phone for three hours, and the rep finally told them there was nothing they could do. Having had too many bad experiences with AT&T customer service already, I'd rather skip that step and find someone on here that might offer some helpful insight...
I haven't been able to get into my hotmail account for two days now. I keep getting this message. I have an msn account (both msn and hotmail are Windows Live Hotmail) and a yahoo account which are both working fine. How do I fix this? I googled and the only thing I found was someone saying they called customer support, were on the phone for three hours, and the rep finally told them there was nothing they could do. Having had too many bad experiences with AT&T customer service already, I'd rather skip that step and find someone on here that might offer some helpful insight...

Mailbox download error (41)

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 5:57:46 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have been able to access my hotmail account until today and then received the Mailbox download error (41). It seems ironic that it is all happening around the same time and from what I have read there is nothing mentioning this error prior to now. Can anyone find an explanation? Is there an update that Windows went through that sent the mobile email out of whack? Has anyone found a fix for this?
I have been able to access my hotmail account until today and then received the Mailbox download error (41). It seems ironic that it is all happening around the same time and from what I have read there is nothing mentioning this error prior to now. Can anyone find an explanation? Is there an update that Windows went through that sent the mobile email out of whack? Has anyone found a fix for this?

Re: Mailbox download error (41)

2 of 19 (6,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 6:06:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same thing happened to me this AM (just one account). I spent all day researching and trying to fix. I bet msn pushed something out last night which caused the problem.  

Here is the work around until they get thier act together: Remove the account that doesn't work, select add new, after you select Windows Hotmail you presented with @hotmail.com, @live.com, @msn.com, other. Pick Other and re-create your account. (you need to remove the old one first) So you'd have to type the full email address: 'abc@hotmail.com'

good luck!

Same thing happened to me this AM (just one account). I spent all day researching and trying to fix. I bet msn pushed something out last night which caused the problem.  

Here is the work around until they get thier act together: Remove the account that doesn't work, select add new, after you select Windows Hotmail you presented with @hotmail.com, @live.com, @msn.com, other. Pick Other and re-create your account. (you need to remove the old one first) So you'd have to type the full email address: 'abc@hotmail.com'

good luck!

3 of 19 (6,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2010 6:07:09 PM
(0)
Contributor
see my responce for the original post for a work around
see my responce for the original post for a work around

4 of 19 (6,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 5:14:00 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by knwlsh on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:20:35 AM

I too had the problem just start with MSN mail and not my other accounts. I tried the delete and re-create and now I get the same error when the system tries to validate the new account. I would say I'm worse off now, but then I sure didn't lose much...

UPDATE: Not too helpful message on MS site  "Windows Live Hotmail is currently experiencing login issues. Some Customers may receive errors when attempting to login to their Live Hotmail account."

Message Edited by knwlsh on 01-27-2010 05:14:26 AM
Message Edited by knwlsh on 01-27-2010 05:20:35 AM

I too had the problem just start with MSN mail and not my other accounts. I tried the delete and re-create and now I get the same error when the system tries to validate the new account. I would say I'm worse off now, but then I sure didn't lose much...

UPDATE: Not too helpful message on MS site  "Windows Live Hotmail is currently experiencing login issues. Some Customers may receive errors when attempting to login to their Live Hotmail account."

Message Edited by knwlsh on 01-27-2010 05:14:26 AM
Message Edited by knwlsh on 01-27-2010 05:20:35 AM

[ Edited ]
5 of 19 (6,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 6:43:20 AM
(0)
Edited by jamie.va on Jan 27, 2010 at 6:44:15 AM

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. The AT&T rep told me it must my phone - but obviously it looks like it's a server error on MSN's side.

I did try to delete the account and add it again, but just got the same message.

Message Edited by jamie.va on 01-27-2010 06:44:15 AM

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. The AT&T rep told me it must my phone - but obviously it looks like it's a server error on MSN's side.

I did try to delete the account and add it again, but just got the same message.

Message Edited by jamie.va on 01-27-2010 06:44:15 AM

[ Edited ]
6 of 19 (6,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 9:58:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I think it is official it isn't our fault in spite of what the tech support wants us to believe. I am still having same issues today. Any new developments?

Another way around this irritating issue... if you have internet on your phone and use the Media Net homepage, there should be an option to add Hotmail to that homepage. I did this last night and am able to get my email that way. The format is a little different from the Molbile Email, but no log in error.

Hope this helps until MSN fixes their problems.

I think it is official it isn't our fault in spite of what the tech support wants us to believe. I am still having same issues today. Any new developments?

Another way around this irritating issue... if you have internet on your phone and use the Media Net homepage, there should be an option to add Hotmail to that homepage. I did this last night and am able to get my email that way. The format is a little different from the Molbile Email, but no log in error.

Hope this helps until MSN fixes their problems.

7 of 19 (6,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 10:36:51 AM
(0)
Contributor
I just signed up for unlimited data last Fri. (22nd). I signed up for a windows live account to use with my LG VU. I had it set up and it worked fine until Monday evening. I am also getting the (error 41) message. I tried to set it up in "other", it wouldn't work there either. I still got the same message. If anyone finds out what is going on, please post to this forum. Thank you
I just signed up for unlimited data last Fri. (22nd). I signed up for a windows live account to use with my LG VU. I had it set up and it worked fine until Monday evening. I am also getting the (error 41) message. I tried to set it up in "other", it wouldn't work there either. I still got the same message. If anyone finds out what is going on, please post to this forum. Thank you

8 of 19 (6,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 11:02:28 AM
(0)
Contributor
If adding your account under Other (instead of say @hotmail.com or @live.com) didn't help (it helped me), then you can create a temp MSN account and forward your messages to it.
If adding your account under Other (instead of say @hotmail.com or @live.com) didn't help (it helped me), then you can create a temp MSN account and forward your messages to it.

9 of 19 (6,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2010 11:32:16 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by highjr on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:49:02 AM

is this happening to anybody again?  i'm having this problem now....starting about 2 days ago (04/06/2010).  i can get into hotmail with web access on the phone just fine, but the mobile e-mail application is not letting me check hotmail.  it says "Mailbox Download Error (41).  Please Try again."  yahoo works just fine on the same client.

while using mobile e-mail, i was deleting a message.  i got that error, and then the inbox appeared to be empty (which it wasn't).  i logged out, and couldn't log in....kept getting the error.  i deleted the account from the mobile e-mail client, and now when i try to add it back, i get that error after it says "validating account".  if i put the wrong password in, it fails for incorrect password....so i know the account is being validated properly.  it just won't download the inbox.

...and i'm using a sony ericsson c905a.

is this happening to anybody again?  i'm having this problem now....starting about 2 days ago (04/06/2010).  i can get into hotmail with web access on the phone just fine, but the mobile e-mail application is not letting me check hotmail.  it says "Mailbox Download Error (41).  Please Try again."  yahoo works just fine on the same client.

while using mobile e-mail, i was deleting a message.  i got that error, and then the inbox appeared to be empty (which it wasn't).  i logged out, and couldn't log in....kept getting the error.  i deleted the account from the mobile e-mail client, and now when i try to add it back, i get that error after it says "validating account".  if i put the wrong password in, it fails for incorrect password....so i know the account is being validated properly.  it just won't download the inbox.

...and i'm using a sony ericsson c905a.

[ Edited ]
10 of 19 (5,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2010 5:32:39 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by highjr on Apr 9, 2010 at 5:42:48 AM

update....

i started a new hotmail test account, and i can get into that just fine.

also...i pulled out my backup phone (sony ericsson w810i).  it says "mailbox download error", but it just makes the inbox look empty, and i could see all the other folders and send new e-mail just fine.

i deleted EVERYTHING...all messages and all non-default folders from the hotmail account in question and it still won't work.

update....

i started a new hotmail test account, and i can get into that just fine.

also...i pulled out my backup phone (sony ericsson w810i).  it says "mailbox download error", but it just makes the inbox look empty, and i could see all the other folders and send new e-mail just fine.

i deleted EVERYTHING...all messages and all non-default folders from the hotmail account in question and it still won't work.

[ Edited ]
11 of 19 (2,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 8:13:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did anybody figure out how to fix this problem permanently?  I'm having the same problem everybody else was having accessing my aol account.  I have been able to get around it by going to the internet via the phone and accessing my account that way, but was just curious why this problem is happening and would love to have it fixed.  Thank you!

Did anybody figure out how to fix this problem permanently?  I'm having the same problem everybody else was having accessing my aol account.  I have been able to get around it by going to the internet via the phone and accessing my account that way, but was just curious why this problem is happening and would love to have it fixed.  Thank you!

12 of 19 (2,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 11:20:27 PM
(0)
Guru

IW wrote:

Given that this is on the Xpress Mail board, presumably you're using Xpress Mail?  That has been discontinued and will no longer work.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

IW wrote:

Given that this is on the Xpress Mail board, presumably you're using Xpress Mail?  That has been discontinued and will no longer work.

13 of 19 (2,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 2:06:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

That is not a valid explanation. I am noy using express mail. My aol account would not let me in. When it went to validating it came up "mailbox download error (41) Please try again. I have many times. I then deleted it and tried to add back now can not get it back stops at same message. I am doing this on Mobile Email. Does anyone have an answer? It started about a week ago.

That is not a valid explanation. I am noy using express mail. My aol account would not let me in. When it went to validating it came up "mailbox download error (41) Please try again. I have many times. I then deleted it and tried to add back now can not get it back stops at same message. I am doing this on Mobile Email. Does anyone have an answer? It started about a week ago.

14 of 19 (1,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 5:40:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with AOL account!!! HELP!!

I'm having the same problem with AOL account!!! HELP!!

15 of 19 (1,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 9:18:35 PM
(0)
Voyager

here's what's going to happen:  no one will give you a good answer.  hotmail will blame it on your service provider.  your service provider will blame it on your phone manufacturer....then one day, out of the clear blue, it will start working again.  it may be 3 days from now....it may be 6 weeks. 

here's what's going to happen:  no one will give you a good answer.  hotmail will blame it on your service provider.  your service provider will blame it on your phone manufacturer....then one day, out of the clear blue, it will start working again.  it may be 3 days from now....it may be 6 weeks. 

16 of 19 (1,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 8:54:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

I can live with not being able to get my emails. The real problem is I keep getting this alert to launch mobile email which has now become very annoying. Since I deleted the aol account on the phone and I am told I must get it back on to go on and tell it to not send alerts what do I do since code 41 won't let me set it back up. Must I throw the phone away? The alert to launch mobile email is the real problem. Right now I am keeping the phone on silent so I don't have to keep looking at phone when the alert comes in wondering if it is a text or the stupid alert.

I can live with not being able to get my emails. The real problem is I keep getting this alert to launch mobile email which has now become very annoying. Since I deleted the aol account on the phone and I am told I must get it back on to go on and tell it to not send alerts what do I do since code 41 won't let me set it back up. Must I throw the phone away? The alert to launch mobile email is the real problem. Right now I am keeping the phone on silent so I don't have to keep looking at phone when the alert comes in wondering if it is a text or the stupid alert.

17 of 19 (1,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 12:05:27 AM
(0)
Employee
If it really is xpressmail that is giving the error you'll have to reset your phone since you can't add the account back on to change the settings
If it really is xpressmail that is giving the error you'll have to reset your phone since you can't add the account back on to change the settings
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

18 of 19 (695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 6:18:49 AM
(0)

As this thread is well over a year old, it is being locked to further posting. If you have the same issue, please start a new thread.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

As this thread is well over a year old, it is being locked to further posting. If you have the same issue, please start a new thread.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

19 of 19 (677 Views)