Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 23, 2010
2:16:07 PM
View profile
MMS not working on Iphone 4

Well, I know this has been discussed here before but there wasn't a clear answer to this so I'm posting it again.

I got my new Iphone about a month ago and when I try to send MMS to someone it doesn't work.

Plan: Unlimited txt 

Symptoms: Sending Bar will load up to like 90% then it would stop. Soon, "!" error will show up. 

I tried to reset my phone to factory setting (I didn't restore my old set up afterward) but that didn't solve the issue.

I also enable Edge setting  but that didn't work either. 

Everything is working fine except for MMS... 

Sigh.. This is getting frustrating...

Please let me know if you know the solution.

Thanks in adv. 

Well, I know this has been discussed here before but there wasn't a clear answer to this so I'm posting it again.

I got my new Iphone about a month ago and when I try to send MMS to someone it doesn't work.

Symptoms: Sending Bar will load up to like 90% then it would stop. Soon, "!" error will show up. 

I tried to reset my phone to factory setting (I didn't restore my old set up afterward) but that didn't solve the issue.

Thanks in adv. 

MMS not working on Iphone 4

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2010 2:45:38 PM
(0)
Professor

silly question does you have texting activated from AT&T>? call AT&T and see what they say.

quicktwinturbo wrote:

Thanks in adv. 

silly question does you have texting activated from AT&T>? call AT&T and see what they say.

quicktwinturbo wrote:

Thanks in adv. 

hello!!!

Re: MMS not working on Iphone 4

2 of 8 (14,865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2010 3:35:09 PM
(0)
Guru

Try to make sure MMS Messages is set to on.  Look under settings/messages

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

Try to make sure MMS Messages is set to on.  Look under settings/messages

Sent from my iPhone 4

3 of 8 (14,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2010 11:37:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same problem randomly out of nowhere, called AT&T and they reset the network settings, and also disabled the plan then restarted it so im not sure which was the fix but everything is fine now. It happened randomly one day that I could not send or receive pics. Before calling try to reset network under settings>general>reset>reset network settings then send yourself a picture message to see if you get it. Hope that helps

I had the same problem randomly out of nowhere, called AT&T and they reset the network settings, and also disabled the plan then restarted it so im not sure which was the fix but everything is fine now. It happened randomly one day that I could not send or receive pics. Before calling try to reset network under settings>general>reset>reset network settings then send yourself a picture message to see if you get it. Hope that helps

4 of 8 (14,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 12:36:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Still not working for me.

Had At&t take off and put back on my MMS/SMS plan. 

Reset my phone

Reset my network setting.

Restored my phone with new apple software.

It works when I initially restore it but not after I restore it to the backup.

Still not working for me.

Had At&t take off and put back on my MMS/SMS plan. 

Reset my phone

Reset my network setting.

Restored my phone with new apple software.

5 of 8 (14,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 1:26:15 PM
(0)
Professor

simplegray wrote:

Then you have your answer, something in your backup is causing the issue.

Restore the phone as new and sync your music/media/apps, but do not restore your backup.

simplegray wrote:

Then you have your answer, something in your backup is causing the issue.

Restore the phone as new and sync your music/media/apps, but do not restore your backup.

6 of 8 (14,234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 1:19:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same problem and here's how I tackled it:

So just like you said, when it reached 90% it failed and I got an error symbol (the red exclamation mark). So I tried the whole network reset thing advised here. My phone restarted and I tried sending MMS again. Still no dice. Then it hit me - unlike texts which are transfered within the packets that enable core communication with the towers MMS is actually a relatively large file. So to transfer it I had to be connected to a data network. Now for some reason my wi-fi wasn't enough, so I had to turn on cellular data in the settings and then it started working...

I had the same problem and here's how I tackled it:

So just like you said, when it reached 90% it failed and I got an error symbol (the red exclamation mark). So I tried the whole network reset thing advised here. My phone restarted and I tried sending MMS again. Still no dice. Then it hit me - unlike texts which are transfered within the packets that enable core communication with the towers MMS is actually a relatively large file. So to transfer it I had to be connected to a data network. Now for some reason my wi-fi wasn't enough, so I had to turn on cellular data in the settings and then it started working...

7 of 8 (13,879 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 7:20:39 AM
(0)
Professor

Seto wrote:
Then it hit me - unlike texts which are transfered within the packets that enable core communication with the towers MMS is actually a relatively large file. So to transfer it I had to be connected to a data network. Now for some reason my wi-fi wasn't enough, so I had to turn on cellular data in the settings and then it started working...

MMS ONLY works over the cellular data connection.  It requires cellular data.  No device on the market (to my knowledge) is capable of sending MMS messages via a WiFi network.

Seto wrote:
Then it hit me - unlike texts which are transfered within the packets that enable core communication with the towers MMS is actually a relatively large file. So to transfer it I had to be connected to a data network. Now for some reason my wi-fi wasn't enough, so I had to turn on cellular data in the settings and then it started working...

MMS ONLY works over the cellular data connection.  It requires cellular data.  No device on the market (to my knowledge) is capable of sending MMS messages via a WiFi network.

8 of 8 (13,830 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments