Ask a question

Posted May 1, 2010
9:09:35 PM
View profile
MMS from email to phone doesn't work anymore

Hello. Up until about a month ago, I used to send pictures to my phone from my Gmail via attachments to (10 digit)@mms.att.net, without problems. However, it doesn't work anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks!

MMS from email to phone doesn't work anymore

58 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 3:24:06 PM
(0)
Expert

sethinater wrote:

Hello. Up until about a month ago, I used to send pictures to my phone from my Gmail via attachments to (10 digit)@mms.att.net, without problems. However, it doesn't work anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks!

What happens when you try to send the email to your phone with the picture attached, as much info as possible would be great.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

Re: MMS from email to phone doesn't work anymore

2 of 59 (14,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 5:43:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

it's an issue on AT&T side - they decided to start reading the Return-Path on forwarded via MMS items. that's why you're seeing the "From" on your phone being NAME@caf_=PHONENUMBER=mms.att.net@gmail.com

on the other hand, if you set up the same forwarding to go to any other email address it works just fine and shows you the original sender as the "from"

3 of 59 (14,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2010 10:01:39 AM
(0)
Teacher
Same thread going on here: http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Messaging/Receiving-MMS-via-mms-att-net/td-p/1922270 Clearly, something has changed at AT&T on the MMS service. Why won't anyone help us figure this out?

4 of 59 (13,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 7:20:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

Perhaps marginally related, it seems that a filter to mobile message action that I set up on my ATT-Yahoo email account has recently stopped working.  I believe that this sends TXT as opposed to an MMS message.

BTW, I recently discovered that you can create an alias to use when sending TXT or MMS messages instead of using your phone number.  

5 of 59 (13,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 11:13:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

I was having issues with this as well, but I tried it yesterday and it worked.

There was a quirk however, I sent the message to a Samsung Impression and they received it as a mms having two slides (terminology?). So the pic wasn't immediately shown ("1/2" in upper right of screen), but when slide 2 ("2/2" in upper right of screen) was rotated to the pic was displayed.

6 of 59 (13,662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 2:45:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am chiming in on this topic as well. Forever I've been able to send messages (with or without attachments, doesn't matter) to 10digits@mms.att.net - about a week ago it has stopped working. Period. I can send to 10digits@txt.att.net no problemo. I can send from my phone to any e-mail address no problemo. But anything sent to mms.att.net just disappears, no errors or bounced messages. Nothing.

Call AT&T and they had no clue at all.

Tried my buddies phone, nothing. Tried 3 other numbers, nothing. This has to be a system wide thing!

I can't believe no one else is making a stink about this - is it just certain people? Is there anyone in the Detroit area that is able to recieve via 10digits@mms.att.net?

7 of 59 (13,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 7:09:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having problems as well. No messages can be sent to my cellphone via xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net, but I can get plain text messages to my phone via xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.net and xxxxxxxxxx@cingularme.com. I am really confused as @mms.att.net was working in my area yesterday, but it does not work today.

After I send an email to @mms.att.net, the message just disappears also. Thee is no return message, such as "your message couldn't be delivered". Does this meanthat the att netwok is still accepting our messages, but just not fowarding them to our phones?

8 of 59 (13,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 7:22:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

I ran a test and just sent 3 messages as follows:

• 10digitnumber@mms.att.net
  • 10digitnumber@txt.att.net
  • alias@txt.att.net
So far, it's been about five minutes.  I received the 3rd message, but not the first two.

9 of 59 (13,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 7:27:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Just now, the second in the list has arrived.  First is still MIA.

10 of 59 (13,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 10:31:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

I get messages sent phone to phone

I get messages sent to txt.att.net or alias@txt.att.net

I get nothing, no matter from where, sent to mms.att.net

I have 14 phones like this right now (in our company). Basically, I can't find anyone who can actually receive a message via 10digits@mms.att.net

11 of 59 (11,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2010 7:47:57 AM
(0)
Teacher
Tried yesterday to send a message with a .wav attachment to 10digits@mms.att.net. It arrived today, about 12 hours later, with the attachment and intact. It was a pretty small .wav file, so I'm trying now with a more typical file from my VoIP voicemail service. Nothing has bounced, so it's probably on its way -- just seems to be slow now, instead of completely broken.

12 of 59 (11,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2010 2:30:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm STILL not getting MMS from e-mail. Nothing I send via 10digits@mms.att.net goes through to anyone at AT&T. Sending from Yahoo or Gmail or Comcast or even my business account, no go. It just disappears. SOMETIMES I get it 12-24 hours later. Maybe.

AT&T claims no problems at all, keeps telling me to perform master resets of my phone. I've already moved my sim to two other phones, same problem. Tried 3 others phones, a blackberry, and a Razr and still nothing.

I take it everyone else is getting their mms via e-mail no problem?

13 of 59 (10,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2010 5:16:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

I did get the MMS message the following day (something like 14 hours later). 

14 of 59 (10,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 7:21:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

I sent an MMS from email to mobile this afternoon about 5pm and the message arrived just now as I was reviewing these posts.  So MMS is still supported, it is just not as instant as it used to be.

15 of 59 (10,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 10:04:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

STILL Not working! AT&T OMG fix it people.

I cannot send an e-mail to 10digits@mms.att.net and have it arrive at my phone.

5% of them show up many hours later but as of Wed I haven't had a single one go through! Call to tech support tell me to master reset my phone and blame my e-mail service. HA!

Anyone else still having this problem? I'm NOT on an iPhone

16 of 59 (10,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 1:19:58 PM
(0)
Professor

Not sure if this is helpful, but I am in Washington state and I use the 10digitwirelessnumber@mms.att.net with my phone fairly frequently and I haven't had any problems at all. I also do not have an iPhone. Have you tried sending from an alternate email address or swapping SIMs or trying sending to another phone? If the issue happens with multiple phones in a certain area, it could just be a localized issue.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

17 of 59 (10,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 1:39:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

3 phones, two sims, same results Smiley Sad

18 of 59 (10,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 2:43:12 PM
(0)
Professor

Then I'd advise calling until you get someone to file a ticket.

If you've tried multiple phones, multiple SIMs, multiple email providers, pretty much the only thing left to try is to test it in a different area. And it's pretty rare that an issue like this would be limited to a single tower, so that might not be feasible. I'd just call and explain the troubleshooting you've done. Again.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I wish you luck!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

19 of 59 (10,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 3:21:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks!

I did call and get a ticket, earlier. They said it was fixed. That day i was able to receive 4 messages within about an hour each. Then, the next day. Dead again. Opened a new ticket. Nothing so far. They still maintain there is nothing wrong out there.

We're having the same problem with our business phones in Florida and George, 6 of them. I'm convinced there is something wrong on the network. I can't be just these individual phones.

20 of 59 (10,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 10:01:35 PM
(0)
Professor

Okay, that's just weird.

21 of 59 (9,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 8:06:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

same problem here... i am in the central valley of california..

22 of 59 (9,872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 6:00:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sent an mms to myself from pc to phone yesterday and took over 12 hours to hit my iPhone. What's up with that?

23 of 59 (9,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 12:33:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I came here looking for potential solutions as to this issue as well. I noticed a couple of days ago, MMS sent via email did not come through for approx. 10 - 15 hours. I've been testing periodicially and we're ranging from 10-15 mintues to not seeming to appear at all. This is an issue for me since I'm using the feature to notifiy me of support tickets and business purchases that I need to find out about right away.

Texts to my Google Voice Number are working flawlessly...I was kind of hoping it was just a bad network day but it apears not so much.

24 of 59 (9,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 1:31:54 PM
(0)
Guru

You can also try the following target address and find out how it works:  xxxxxxxxxx@mobile.att.net 

Not certain if they decided to change anything, however, this alternate address was posted on another site which lists the various carriers messaging addresses.

25 of 59 (9,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:04:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just started experiencing this problem, and was wondering if there is a way to get this resolved?  Imagine if I was a surgeon, the hospital sends me a text to come in immediate for an emergency operation and I get the text hours later!  Poor dead patient.

26 of 59 (9,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 1:48:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Unreal - when is ATT going to acknowledge and fix this? This has been happening to me for several weeks, and I used to be able to send email to MMS just fine. Wonder if this has anything to do with the MMS to email poroblem that sends it over and over and over again every few hours.

Something's up with the gateway ATT - let's get it fixed.

27 of 59 (9,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 11:04:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just got three more texts that are more than 24 hours old!  I was thinking about bumping this post every time I don't get a text when it's sent ... but I don't want to stay at my desk 24/7.

28 of 59 (9,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 4:29:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Two more 30+ hours old ... I know I'm preaching to the choir, but geez, how do they stay in business?

29 of 59 (9,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 5:53:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

... and yet, another old message ....

30 of 59 (9,453 Views)