MMS from email to phone doesn't work anymore

Contributor

MMS from email to phone doesn't work anymore

Hello. Up until about a month ago, I used to send pictures to my phone from my Gmail via attachments to (10 digit)@mms.att.net, without problems. However, it doesn't work anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Message 1 of 60
Teacher

Re: MMS from email to phone doesn't work anymore

I've been trying this for a month.

RARELY do I get a mms message delivered via e-mail in less than an hour, normally it takes 2-12 hours, yes, two to twelve. And then sometimes I get the same one, 3-6 times in 1 hour intervals.

The other day I sent myself a small (15k) jpg. Took 8 hours to get the first one, I received 4 copies over the next 4 hours.

basically 10digits@mms.att.net is useless - but ATT totally denies it. I've opened tickets, have gotten used to lying when they request me to do a full hardware reset of my phone. Moved my SIM to 6, that's six, different phones. Tried 3 different phone numbers and accounts. Nothing works. Talked to about a dozen other people, not working for them either.

How come this isn't making bigger headlines?

Message 31 of 60
gir
Tutor

... another annoying bump from me, but just got another day or so old message ... so I take it this will never be acknowledged because if they do, it will mean that they will have to spend money and fix the problem.  And I suppose we should never rely on AT&T to deliver messages in a timely manner, ever.  How do they stay in business?  Oh right, we keep paying them monthly to deliver messages to us hours to days later.  I feel so special.

Message 32 of 60
Teacher

I'd like to hear more people chime in please?

Is it working for you or is it also not working or extremely delayed?

I plan on making this an issue in a national magazine for which I sometimes am published in, it's a tech magazine, not focused on cell phones but i'll get noticed. Hopefully picked up by slashdot, wired, etc.

I've contact many people in my own circle and everyone is having this problem, I've yet to talk to someone who isn't. Can this be possible? MMS is broken and no one is talking to the press?

I blame the iPhone traffic, personally...

Message 33 of 60
gir
Tutor

Although it is probably connected to the amount of iPhone traffic on their network, shouldn't they have addressed this issue since they've been carrying iPhones for a little over three years.  They can say there are more users each year when the newest models comes out, but shouldn't they be anticipating the new load?  I can excuse the first year or two, but come on, its been three-plus years.   In any other business, they would be gone, but since they're basically a monopoly they're not going to do anything about it and just deny it.

And why is there such a large delay (up to three days for me) in getting a message or voicemail to our iPhones?  Is there an old TRS-80 handling all the requests through a noisy 300 baud dial-up line?  And why is it that non-iPhone users don't seem to have this problem ... unless they're sending or receiving a message from a person with an iPhone.

DrestinBlack, you're probably already aware of all of this, but I had to vent  Smiley Tongue  And thanks for listening since no one else seems to be!!!

Message 34 of 60
Teacher

I hear ya gir!

I sent 11 messages to my phone using various sources, methods and devices. Exactly 1 has arrived, i nabout 4 hours. All the rest are MIA. txt.att.net works but not mms.att.net

This is BS and AT&T is silent on it.

Message 35 of 60
Highlighted
Teacher

Are you still having problems receiving MMS from Email?

My test today was received in 7 minutes. I hope your problems are resolved now as well!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 36 of 60
Teacher

Not resolved whatsoever. I've tried every single day and it fails every day

Last night, tried to send 2 small pictures from my hpone to my comcast and my gmail e-mail.

Took over 7 hours each.

I sent several small messages to my phone, to date none have come through.

I used my droid on verizon and every message was recieved in less than a minute.

It's still broken and AT&T is still denying it Smiley Sad

Message 37 of 60
Scholar

I'd just assume that mms messages from email are broken.  I've also seen occasional problems doing the reverse (sending Images to email via mms).  It sounds like ATT is not planning to fix it.

If you don't need mms sending an email to @txt.att.net seems to be working.  

Message 38 of 60
Teacher

They won't even acknowledge there is something wrong and I need to be able to move info this way.

Message 39 of 60
Scholar

DrestinBlack wrote:

They won't even acknowledge there is something wrong and I need to be able to move info this way.

In that case, I would suggest moving to a different carrier.  

Message 40 of 60
Scholar

DrestinBlack wrote:

I used to need to move info via MMS too.  Then I caught one stuck on one Cingular mail server for about 24 hours before going to another Cingular server.   Ticket entered but never got a reply.  This was a non-normal occurance at the time but I bailed.  S/E mail tool (unbranded or de-branded) runs via data connection and completely avoids Cingular mail servers. Handles attachments too.

That has been probably a couple of years ago.  Years before that when mail did not work when sent from N5165 they would not fix that either.   Seems to me you work around like I am doing or you boogie as I did with the account that used the 5165.

I don't think there is anything wrong in the back end that a competent UNIX admin could not cure.

Message 41 of 60
Scholar

tszefr wrote:

S/E mail tool (unbranded or de-branded) runs via data connection and completely avoids Cingular mail servers. Handles attachments too.

What's S/E mail?  I'm not in the know enough to get the reference.

Message 42 of 60
Scholar

jice wrote:

tszefr wrote:

S/E mail tool (unbranded or de-branded) runs via data connection and completely avoids Cingular mail servers. Handles attachments too.

What's S/E mail?  I'm not in the know enough to get the reference.

S/E mail tool is a stock/factory/generic product available on many S/E phones.  Possibly not on entry level ones, but most issued by Cingular/AT&T qualify.   The mail tool supports IMAP Idle command which the student may research.  Cingular/AT&T firmware removes this most excellent product in favour of their Oz Communications "Mobile Email" product.

Suggestion:  Get an S/E phone.  If issued by Cingular/AT&T, de-brand it and enjoy.  Oddly enough, I first enjoyed this product on my Cingular W810i using T-mobile prepaid.  No reasonable data service there now so I stick with AT&T for this tool in spite of annoying voice call droppage.

Message 43 of 60
Teacher

I've been following this discussion for a while, and now it seems to have gone off to another place (S/E email clients? what is that?) Anyway, my service (email to 10digits@mms.att.net) seems to have been restored, or it appears to be working a lot more consistently now. The messages are delivered within a few minutes, based on what I can tell. Good luck --
Message 44 of 60
Teacher

jice wrote:

In that case, I would suggest moving to a different carrier.  

Well, when you've got over 40 phones still under contract for months more it's not so easy to just move to a different carrier, it's expensive!! I talk here about my own personal phone but I also run an IT dept and this issue came to light, originally, when our sales reps in the field weren't getting their MMS messages through e-mail as they had successfully received for quite some time.

Message 45 of 60
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support