Posted Sep 11, 2010
7:31:16 AM
MI State Access Fund

Just received my monthly bill and this has been added.

WTH is this for?

Cheers

MI State Access Fund

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2010 7:40:15 AM
(0)
Guru

That is basically at Tax charged by your state for you to have cell phone service.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: MI State Access Fund

2 of 27 (678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 7:43:36 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by lancair IV on Sep 11, 2010 at 8:22:47 AM

{ Please keep it courteous }

How come we were not notified about this? 

[ Edited ]
3 of 27 (675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2010 8:03:23 AM
(0)
Guru

Contact your congressman.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

4 of 27 (670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 8:12:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

That doesnt answer my question.  Why weren't we notified?  I appears AT&T can add taxes anytime they want.  Why doesn't AT&T start supporting the consumers instead of waste spending government?  What does this increased tax cover?

5 of 27 (668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2010 8:32:09 AM
(0)
Guru

AT&T does't add taxes, your local and state government does. They require AT&T to add those to the bill. At&t makes you aware that you will have taxes, but they are not going to go through and explain each and every one to you..its a tax, just like if you buy a gallon of milk at the grocery store, your going to be charged tax, the cashier is not going to explain to you where every cent of that tax goes.

6 of 27 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 8:50:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by lancair IV on Sep 11, 2010 at 8:57:24 AM

There's a big difference between 6% sales tax on purchased items -vs- the unknown tax that shows up.  When the state increased the sales tax from 4% to 6%, they explained why and where the revenues were going.  Since AT&T applied the tax, they should explain what it is and why!

I can't believe you're just accepting this without question!

[ Edited ]
7 of 27 (659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 9:22:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

I sent a note to my local Senator.  We'll see what she has to say!  I still say BS!!!!

8 of 27 (650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2010 9:23:50 AM
(0)
Guru

Those types of fees have been on every single cell phone bill, Ive ever payed, since the days of my bagphone. They are taxes imposed by the state or local governments. So no, I don't question them. I have no reason to question a fee that is normally less than .50 cents per month in my state.

9 of 27 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 9:45:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

Maybe you should start questioning instead of accepting.  When you're unemployed, you question where every penny goes!

10 of 27 (645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 10:18:05 AM
(0)
Expert

lancair IV wrote:

Maybe you should start questioning instead of accepting.  When you're unemployed, you question where every penny goes!

Maybe you should complain to the correct agency, ATT does not add taxes just because they want to, they don't see a penny of that tax. The state you reside in mandates that ATT follow the tax laws and charge you what is required. You being a customer does not warrent ATT to risk being fined by the local, state for federal goverment for not charging you a required tax. Yell at your elected officials, the proper one that casue the tax to be added. You want to qeustion - then question those that run the goverment in your home area.

11 of 27 (543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:35:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

SEE MESSAGE 8 IN THIS THREAD.

I'm really surprised AT&T doesn't know what this tax is!  I'll post a reply to this when my Senator explains.

12 of 27 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:47:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

September bills included this message to inform customers of this charge:

Beginning on or after September 1, 2010, AT&T Long
Distance will begin to assess the Michigan (MI)
State Access Fund surcharge on intrastate
long distance charges to recover AT&T Long
Distance s required contribution to this fund.
The charge will appear as "MI State Access Fund"
under the long distance portion of your bill.

13 of 27 (525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 1:15:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you lyttlebit66

I found it on the last page of the bill.  I'm glad someone at AT&T knows what is going on!

14 of 27 (519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2010 1:47:43 PM
(0)
Guru

lancair IV wrote:

Thank you lyttlebit66

I found it on the last page of the bill.  I'm glad someone at AT&T knows what is going on!

I answered your question in my first post...it read something like this...."it's a tax"

15 of 27 (513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2010 5:21:28 PM
(0)
Guru

lancair IV wrote:

Thank you lyttlebit66

It is a rarity that AT&T and all the telophone companies don't tell customers when new taxes and surcharges are imposed.  Problem is most of us customers do not read the messages that the companies put on the bill.  I am glad that it was on your bill and you found the explanation....

Sent from my iPhone 4

16 of 27 (498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 6:08:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

mightyjeeper wrote:

lancair IV wrote:

Thank you lyttlebit66

I answered your question in my first post...it read something like this...."it's a tax"

You really need to take a class in "How to treat customers"

17 of 27 (492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2010 7:06:44 AM
(0)
Guru

lancair IV wrote:

mightyjeeper wrote:

lancair IV wrote:

Thank you lyttlebit66

You really need to take a class in "How to treat customers"

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to come across as crass at all. But you asked the question, I answered it. I am a customer on this forum, I pay full price for my service with at&t, as a consumer, not an employee. I come to these forums as a customer, who just happens to have an incite on some things because I work for AT&T.  

18 of 27 (490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 11:52:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

Also most of us don't go to every legislature debate about tax increase in their states. We don't follow through every pending Bill on the table, and we don't have time to participate or listen the debate, or write a letter to our representative protesting the bill. We trust our representative to work on our behalf, and to look after us. Big mistake!!! That is why they tell us it is your fault if you don't know law!

19 of 27 (480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2010 12:15:39 PM
(0)
Guru

Waterlily29 wrote:

Also most of us don't go to every legislature debate about tax increase in their states. We don't follow through every pending Bill on the table, and we don't have time to participate or listen the debate, or write a letter to our representative protesting the bill. We trust our representative to work on our behalf, and to look after us. Big mistake!!! That is why they tell us it is your fault if you don't know law!

Uno Kudo!!

20 of 27 (477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 4:16:56 PM
(0)
Scholar
Thank you mightyjeeper!

21 of 27 (514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 9:06:33 AM
(0)
Professor

That response was not a official response from ATT. That was one customer helping another. I would have said the same thing if I saw this thread first. Call your local government.

Just ask anyone here from California, ask them how many extra charges and fees they put on their accounts.

22 of 27 (499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 6:44:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

What I find funny is that my family plan account bill I have is $10 cheaper this month than any other month, and you guys are saying your being charged more for NY state access fund, and my the $10 cheaper for me comes from a decrease is government and state taxes and fees. I too was curious about how they can add these charges and what not, so I looked into the contract.

Basically: The government does not require AT&T to charge any fees or extra taxes to the customer AT ALL. They charge at&t, and they can, if they so choose, pass this cost on to the consumer. So these official sounding taxes and fees are just clever words for at&t recovering costs they incur. Case & point, metro PCS does not pass taxes and fees on to the consumer, what you sign up for is what you pay, a $40 is a $40 payment. Sprint and AT&T are the worst with all the add-on charges for wireless. Verizin isn't much better, but they do charge slightly less in the government taxes and fees.  

23 of 27 (477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 3:23:47 AM
(0)
Expert

jctevere wrote:

What I find funny is that my family plan account bill I have is $10 cheaper this month than any other month, and you guys are saying your being charged more for NY state access fund, and my the $10 cheaper for me comes from a decrease is government and state taxes and fees. I too was curious about how they can add these charges and what not, so I looked into the contract.

Basically: The government does not require AT&T to charge any fees or extra taxes to the customer AT ALL. They charge at&t, and they can, if they so choose, pass this cost on to the consumer. So these official sounding taxes and fees are just clever words for at&t recovering costs they incur. Case & point, metro PCS does not pass taxes and fees on to the consumer, what you sign up for is what you pay, a $40 is a $40 payment. Sprint and AT&T are the worst with all the add-on charges for wireless. Verizin isn't much better, but they do charge slightly less in the government taxes and fees.  

err no - the taxes are required by state, federal and local laws. There is no way that Sprint or Verzion can "charge slightly less" for government taxes and fees, these rates are set by local, state and federal laws and the retailer/provider has no choice but to charge exactly what the laws state. I doubt that any retailer will not pass on required taxes and fees, this is not business practices. No company in it's right mind will pay millions of dollars is required taxes and fees and not pass it on to the customer, not only would they not be in business long, but if they are publicly owned the stock holders will boot out who every tried to do this.

24 of 27 (470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 3:40:39 AM
(0)
Guru

Case & point, metro PCS does not pass taxes and fees on to the consumer

They absolutely do.  It may not show up on the bill that way (I don't know), but it is an operating cost that needs to be recovered from paying customers in order for the business to be profitable.  If those carriers don't have specific line items for the taxes and surcharges, then the rate plans themselves are designed to cover them.

It's the difference between charging $1.00 + 8% sales tax for an item, versus charging $1.08 and saying we don't make the customer pay taxes.

25 of 27 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 6:59:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Waterlily29 on Sep 17, 2010 at 7:01:54 AM

So what is the differences!  The bottom line is that customers pay!!!!  The corporation will add the extra cost Tax or not, to the customers one way or another!!!  There are so many taxes, and more to come....  Corporations have to be profitable in order to survive, they would not be able to survive if they eat up all added taxes, insurance coverage, Medicare, FMLA. etc.....

You are dreaming if you think the corporations pay for you to save $$$,  Whenever the government add taxes, consumers suffer, not corporations!!! 

If I have to pay, I would rather know what I am paying for!!

[ Edited ]
26 of 27 (461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 4:47:37 AM
(0)
Guru

I completely agree.  The customer pays either way.  Listing it as a separate item seems to me to be more straightforward than the alternative.

To digress a little, but still on the subject of companies passing taxes to customers... In a number of states, vehicle owners pay a personal property tax, and if the vehicle is leased it's usually the leasing company (the actual owner) who has to directly pay the taxing authority, rather than the lessee.  But in one or two states, when the company passes the tax bill on to the lessee, the state requires sales tax on it.  Tax on tax.  Fun.

27 of 27 (442 Views)