M-Cell and Hughes Net

Teacher

M-Cell and Hughes Net

Has anyone here had the opportunity to try out microcell with Hughes Net satellite internet?

I have signed up for the 1.7K service but the upload speed is in the 200's. It may be too slow.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6 (2,991 Views)
Tutor

Re: M-Cell and Hughes Net

AT&T clearly says it won't work with satellite based internet. You need a DSL, Cable or Fiber connection.

Message 2 of 6 (2,990 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, my DSL is only 256 up/down so that won't work.

Message 3 of 6 (2,986 Views)
Tutor

If you only want to get voice, and only one call at a time, 256k might be enough (DSL not satellite), worth a try and you can alway return it.

Message 4 of 6 (2,958 Views)
Contributor

Ok.. I have Hughesnet and an AT&T Micro Cell Tower hooked to it.  It does work for data and text.   I have barely one bar of EDGE service where I live here in the sticks.  I needed to be able to send and receive my 6000 text a month here at home and was tired of missing or not getting my texts unless i'm in that "special" spot!  So I bought a micro cell and it absolutely works for just that.  I have a home phone and my cell is forwarded to my home phone.. So voice calls are covered.

So for me, the micro cell tower works for my needs using Hughesnet. 

Message 5 of 6 (1,815 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

I imagine the problem with voice is the latency. Phone calls probably work, but probably would be unbearable with constantly interrupting the other party like a bad international call. The Microcell used to have that problem even with proper Internet connectivity, but that's one of the problems they seem to have solved.
Message 6 of 6 (1,810 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.