Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 30, 2010
5:02:46 PM
View profile
M-Cell Antenna
Does anyone know where to get the antenna that plugs into the M-Cell? I see there is a spot to screw one in and am thinking about getting one so I can put it in the closer with my WAP out of sight and running the antenna to the window.
Does anyone know where to get the antenna that plugs into the M-Cell? I see there is a spot to screw one in and am thinking about getting one so I can put it in the closer with my WAP out of sight and running the antenna to the window.

M-Cell Antenna

53 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(53)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 8:20:07 AM
(0)
Tutor
I wonder if I can use the MicroCell with a Verizon USB Internet dongle with a USB to Ethernet adaptor and APC power supply? Then I would be able to get coverage on the go with my iPhone!

I suppose I could just get an ipod Touch with a MiFi and have a Verizon iPhone. Lol.

Sorry, bit I LOVE the iPhone, hate ATT dropped calls and coverage. I hope ATT monitors these posts.
I wonder if I can use the MicroCell with a Verizon USB Internet dongle with a USB to Ethernet adaptor and APC power supply? Then I would be able to get coverage on the go with my iPhone!

I suppose I could just get an ipod Touch with a MiFi and have a Verizon iPhone. Lol.

Sorry, bit I LOVE the iPhone, hate ATT dropped calls and coverage. I hope ATT monitors these posts.

Re: M-Cell Antenna

31 of 54 (6,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 9:09:16 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by nsayer on Jul 24, 2010 at 9:14:48 AM

I actually got my microcell a week early by driving out to Tracy in the Central Valley (of California). My plan was going to be to attempt to activate it in the store with my iPhone. If that failed, I was going to use the store's address for the initial activation with the device plugged into a 3G router with my QuickSilver. I had my doubts as to whether that would work, because the bandwidth of wireless WAN connections combined with their very high latency and out-of-sight jitter would make them horrible to actually use. But I figured if it would at least activate then I could change the address and take the device home. And if that didn't work, the rumor was that the Bay Area was going to light up at the end of the week anyway.

It turns out that it took my address anyway, so I didn't need to resort to any of that. But I was prepared.

But to use a WAN connection for VoIP for real? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find the resulting call quality acceptable, even if it worked.

And then there's the issue of using it "on the go." If you move outside of the GPS lock radius, the device won't light up. And wherever you use it has to have an address, and that address has to resolve to a place where AT&T is authorized to run microcells.

Oh, one more thing: USB is an asymmetric protocol - master/slave. You can't connect two slave devices together. The USB-to-Ethernet and the WAN modem are both slave devices. It might be different if they were firewire or Ethernet. Both of those are peer-to-peer. They make WAN routers, but as I said, you wouldn't like them for VoIP.

I actually got my microcell a week early by driving out to Tracy in the Central Valley (of California). My plan was going to be to attempt to activate it in the store with my iPhone. If that failed, I was going to use the store's address for the initial activation with the device plugged into a 3G router with my QuickSilver. I had my doubts as to whether that would work, because the bandwidth of wireless WAN connections combined with their very high latency and out-of-sight jitter would make them horrible to actually use. But I figured if it would at least activate then I could change the address and take the device home. And if that didn't work, the rumor was that the Bay Area was going to light up at the end of the week anyway.

It turns out that it took my address anyway, so I didn't need to resort to any of that. But I was prepared.

But to use a WAN connection for VoIP for real? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find the resulting call quality acceptable, even if it worked.

And then there's the issue of using it "on the go." If you move outside of the GPS lock radius, the device won't light up. And wherever you use it has to have an address, and that address has to resolve to a place where AT&T is authorized to run microcells.

Oh, one more thing: USB is an asymmetric protocol - master/slave. You can't connect two slave devices together. The USB-to-Ethernet and the WAN modem are both slave devices. It might be different if they were firewire or Ethernet. Both of those are peer-to-peer. They make WAN routers, but as I said, you wouldn't like them for VoIP.

[ Edited ]
32 of 54 (6,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 7:48:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Gilsson (Ming),

Thanks for your response!  I'll be placing my order for the extra 10' right away.  

For those considering a Gilsson antenna, their build quality seems to be excellent, and I can't believe how quickly it arrived - very fast shipping.

Great customer support, too.

Thanks again,

TimR><>

Gilsson (Ming),

Thanks for your response!  I'll be placing my order for the extra 10' right away.  

For those considering a Gilsson antenna, their build quality seems to be excellent, and I can't believe how quickly it arrived - very fast shipping.

Great customer support, too.

Thanks again,

TimR><>

Re: AT&T 3G Cisco MicroCell M-Cell GPS Antenna

33 of 54 (6,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 11:45:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Dear Timr,

We are glad to be of service.  Gilsson produces antennas for aircraft, helicopter, automobile and boat manufacturers, as well as consumer electronics makers.  A version of the same antenna you purchased actually are approved for aircraft, helicopter and military applications, after passing a long list of tests.

Please let us know if we can be of service further.

Cheers,

Ming Ho

Gilsson Technologies

Dear Timr,

We are glad to be of service.  Gilsson produces antennas for aircraft, helicopter, automobile and boat manufacturers, as well as consumer electronics makers.  A version of the same antenna you purchased actually are approved for aircraft, helicopter and military applications, after passing a long list of tests.

Please let us know if we can be of service further.

Cheers,

Ming Ho

Gilsson Technologies

34 of 54 (6,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 10:08:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

There is a work around for the microcell needing to be near a window. The microcell "remembers its location for a short period of time. I have my microcell located in the center of my house not near a window where there is no GPS coverage.

1. Plug in the microcell near a window. Let it do its stuff until it comes on line.
2. Verify your phone says 3G microcell.
3. Unplug and move your microcell to the desired location. Plug it back in. Within ~15 minutes, it will resynch and you will have better coverage in your house.

If you leave the microcell unplugged for a longer period of time (> day?), it "forgets its location and needs to be resynched near a window.

There is a work around for the microcell needing to be near a window. The microcell "remembers its location for a short period of time. I have my microcell located in the center of my house not near a window where there is no GPS coverage.

1. Plug in the microcell near a window. Let it do its stuff until it comes on line.
3. Unplug and move your microcell to the desired location. Plug it back in. Within ~15 minutes, it will resynch and you will have better coverage in your house.

If you leave the microcell unplugged for a longer period of time (> day?), it "forgets its location and needs to be resynched near a window.

Re: M-Cell Antenna - No need for GPS antenna

35 of 54 (5,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 9:44:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I 2x this.  Does not need to be that close to a window.  I have mine in the middle of my office and have not had any issues activating it.

Yes, I 2x this.  Does not need to be that close to a window.  I have mine in the middle of my office and have not had any issues activating it.

36 of 54 (5,561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 12:43:39 PM
(0)
Guru
GPS' building penetration ability depends largely on the material used in the building's construction. If you have an iPhone, hold it where you want to put the mcell and go into the map app. If the location dot shows the blue rings that expand outward and fade, looking like radar, that indicates a GPS lock. If all you get is a static blue circle, that means your phone is just using triangulation.

If your phone can get a GPS lock, then you shouldn't need to help the Microcell.

Our microcell is in the middle of our house not near a window at all, but all it has to go through is a drywall ceiling, a layer of cellulose insulation and an asphalt shingle roof, none of which are a big blocker of RF. The walls are stucco, but GPS comes from above rather than the side, like terrestrial GSM/GPRS/EDGS/HSPA.
GPS' building penetration ability depends largely on the material used in the building's construction. If you have an iPhone, hold it where you want to put the mcell and go into the map app. If the location dot shows the blue rings that expand outward and fade, looking like radar, that indicates a GPS lock. If all you get is a static blue circle, that means your phone is just using triangulation.

If your phone can get a GPS lock, then you shouldn't need to help the Microcell.

Our microcell is in the middle of our house not near a window at all, but all it has to go through is a drywall ceiling, a layer of cellulose insulation and an asphalt shingle roof, none of which are a big blocker of RF. The walls are stucco, but GPS comes from above rather than the side, like terrestrial GSM/GPRS/EDGS/HSPA.

37 of 54 (5,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 10:33:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

kayakjamie wrote:

#3 is wrong.

If you unplug it for 3 second let alone 30 seconds you loose your GPS sync.  I was lied to about this and frustrated me for about a day.

I ended up going with a 350VA UPS.  Run one long ethernet, and a UPS to where the unit can get a sync.  Once it's up and running you can move it.

I had to do this where I setup the unit at home and drove it to work (1 mile away) due to the GPS issues and trying to get a connection in the lower level middle of the building.  This worked for about two weeks until the 3G light started blinking and I get to do it all over again.

kayakjamie wrote:

#3 is wrong.

If you unplug it for 3 second let alone 30 seconds you loose your GPS sync.  I was lied to about this and frustrated me for about a day.

I ended up going with a 350VA UPS.  Run one long ethernet, and a UPS to where the unit can get a sync.  Once it's up and running you can move it.

I had to do this where I setup the unit at home and drove it to work (1 mile away) due to the GPS issues and trying to get a connection in the lower level middle of the building.  This worked for about two weeks until the 3G light started blinking and I get to do it all over again.

38 of 54 (4,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 9:14:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've had a very good experience with the Gilsson antenna as well.  I bought it directly from Gilsson thru their website and was amazed at how soon I got it (I didn't realize that they are here in the Bay Area - close to where I live, so I got it in 2 days).  I did end up purchasing an extension as well about a month later -- just so that I could move the m-cell to a better location, and the reliability improved even more.  I had been getting the flashing GPS signal light once in a  while (which a reboot of the m-cell usually fixed).  But since adding the extension and placing the antenna in a better spot, I haven't had that problem again.  Granted, this all doesn't take away from the sting of having to purchase the m-cell in the first place, but I wouldn't recommend getting the device w/o a good antenna and the Gilsson one fits that bill.

I've had a very good experience with the Gilsson antenna as well.  I bought it directly from Gilsson thru their website and was amazed at how soon I got it (I didn't realize that they are here in the Bay Area - close to where I live, so I got it in 2 days).  I did end up purchasing an extension as well about a month later -- just so that I could move the m-cell to a better location, and the reliability improved even more.  I had been getting the flashing GPS signal light once in a  while (which a reboot of the m-cell usually fixed).  But since adding the extension and placing the antenna in a better spot, I haven't had that problem again.  Granted, this all doesn't take away from the sting of having to purchase the m-cell in the first place, but I wouldn't recommend getting the device w/o a good antenna and the Gilsson one fits that bill.

39 of 54 (4,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 9:08:45 AM
(0)
Guru

srosera wrote:

I wouldn't recommend getting the device w/o a good antenna and the Gilsson one fits that bill.

Most folks won't need an external GPS antenna even with the Microcell indoors. We got our microcell primarily for the unlimited calling, but even if it weren't for that, our house has stucco walls that make indoor coverage spotty anyway. But GPS comes from above, not the sides, so whether GPS works or not has more to do with the ceiling and roof, which in our case is just a layer of asphalt shingles, drywall and a little cellulose insulation.

If you have an iPhone, and if the google maps app location dot shows the animated rings that expand out from the dot while you're indoors, then your microcell won't have any trouble getting a GPS lock unassisted.

srosera wrote:

I wouldn't recommend getting the device w/o a good antenna and the Gilsson one fits that bill.

Most folks won't need an external GPS antenna even with the Microcell indoors. We got our microcell primarily for the unlimited calling, but even if it weren't for that, our house has stucco walls that make indoor coverage spotty anyway. But GPS comes from above, not the sides, so whether GPS works or not has more to do with the ceiling and roof, which in our case is just a layer of asphalt shingles, drywall and a little cellulose insulation.

If you have an iPhone, and if the google maps app location dot shows the animated rings that expand out from the dot while you're indoors, then your microcell won't have any trouble getting a GPS lock unassisted.

40 of 54 (3,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 9:30:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

Anyone know what the website is, or any point of contact we can get one of these?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Anyone know what the website is, or any point of contact we can get one of these?

41 of 54 (3,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 5:41:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've been told Gilsson sells an excellent one:

http://www.gilsson.com/smart_devices/att_3g_microcell.htm

I've been told Gilsson sells an excellent one:

http://www.gilsson.com/smart_devices/att_3g_microcell.htm

42 of 54 (3,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 8:06:44 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by blogengi on Apr 26, 2011 at 8:10:13 AM

To the best of my knowledge the external antenna connection on the Microcell is for enhancing all signals from the AT&T cell tower to the Microcell. Glisson sells the antenna for the GPS band because it's a simple, single-band antenna tuned on the GPS frequency, but if you search on Google you will find the real, all-bands antenna for the Micropcell which will enhance all bands and all frenquencies, including the voice, 3G, and new AT&T 4G band (if one day they'll make a 4G microcell). This is quite expensive but a billion times better than Glisson's:

http://bestcelldist.com/att_3g_microcell_all_bands_9db_parabolic.html

The above is for people on low signal areas (rural areas, etc.) so if you want to enhance your indoor coverage for the Microcell it won't work, because, as far as I know, the Microcell internal antennas that interact with your cell phone (i.e., the ones that emulate a cell tower antennas) do not have an external connection, which is unfortunate because it would be nice to enhance the Microcell internal range for big houses or buildings (if you know how to enhance this, please let me know)...

To the best of my knowledge the external antenna connection on the Microcell is for enhancing all signals from the AT&T cell tower to the Microcell. Glisson sells the antenna for the GPS band because it's a simple, single-band antenna tuned on the GPS frequency, but if you search on Google you will find the real, all-bands antenna for the Micropcell which will enhance all bands and all frenquencies, including the voice, 3G, and new AT&T 4G band (if one day they'll make a 4G microcell). This is quite expensive but a billion times better than Glisson's:

http://bestcelldist.com/att_3g_microcell_all_bands_9db_parabolic.html

The above is for people on low signal areas (rural areas, etc.) so if you want to enhance your indoor coverage for the Microcell it won't work, because, as far as I know, the Microcell internal antennas that interact with your cell phone (i.e., the ones that emulate a cell tower antennas) do not have an external connection, which is unfortunate because it would be nice to enhance the Microcell internal range for big houses or buildings (if you know how to enhance this, please let me know)...

[ Edited ]
43 of 54 (2,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 10:42:20 AM
(0)
Guru

blogengi wrote:

To the best of my knowledge the external antenna connection on the Microcell is for enhancing all signals from the AT&T cell tower to the Microcell.

This is wrong. The external antenna connection on the Microcell is for a GPS antenna so that you can place the Microcell in a location where there is no GPS reception.

blogengi wrote:

To the best of my knowledge the external antenna connection on the Microcell is for enhancing all signals from the AT&T cell tower to the Microcell.

This is wrong. The external antenna connection on the Microcell is for a GPS antenna so that you can place the Microcell in a location where there is no GPS reception.

44 of 54 (2,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 6:53:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I know the user manual says so, but I believe that's wrong. Do you have a Microcell with you? If you short-circuit the connector you should see the cellular signal go down after a minute or so, which would prove the connector is for the cellular signal as well...

I know the user manual says so, but I believe that's wrong. Do you have a Microcell with you? If you short-circuit the connector you should see the cellular signal go down after a minute or so, which would prove the connector is for the cellular signal as well...

45 of 54 (2,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 6:05:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just received a reply to my request for further info about the antenna I was looking at, and indeed the vendor said that they're sending two connectors with their antenna system, one external and one internal. They also explained that the Microcell has no interaction with the AT&T cell tower so the antenna is either for GPS or to enhance coverage. Thus the good news is that there is a way to increase the Microcell coverage (which is exactly what I was looking for), and the bad news is that you may have to open it up to access the internal antenna jack...

I just received a reply to my request for further info about the antenna I was looking at, and indeed the vendor said that they're sending two connectors with their antenna system, one external and one internal. They also explained that the Microcell has no interaction with the AT&T cell tower so the antenna is either for GPS or to enhance coverage. Thus the good news is that there is a way to increase the Microcell coverage (which is exactly what I was looking for), and the bad news is that you may have to open it up to access the internal antenna jack...

46 of 54 (2,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 7:59:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

blogengi wrote:

Caution. If you open up the MicroCell there are a couple of tamper clips that will brick your MicroCell once they become loose. AT&T apparently has done this to prevent anyone from opening up their proprietary device and messing with it, and I doubt if they will replace a device that was opened and then "damaged".

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

blogengi wrote:

Caution. If you open up the MicroCell there are a couple of tamper clips that will brick your MicroCell once they become loose. AT&T apparently has done this to prevent anyone from opening up their proprietary device and messing with it, and I doubt if they will replace a device that was opened and then "damaged".

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

47 of 54 (2,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 8:26:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by blogengi on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:27:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Will the Microcell work again once the case is closed back? I don't think it's legal for any company to "punish" the end user for opening a device--all they can do is void the warranty I think...

Thanks for the info. Will the Microcell work again once the case is closed back? I don't think it's legal for any company to "punish" the end user for opening a device--all they can do is void the warranty I think...

[ Edited ]
48 of 54 (2,510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 8:55:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

blogengi wrote:

I don't believe so. I've heard that once the clips come loose, it's difficult to get them back in their correct positions cause you can't really tell where they were in the first place. It's a tamper proof mechanism that voids your warranty so they aren't obligated to replace it. There's nothing illegal about it. Someone posted a couple of pics of the MC board that they removed from their MicroCell. Apparently his cat knocked it over and the clips came loose and rattled around inside and of course his MC stopped working (blinking lights, etc). I don't think AT&T replaced it because he opened it up and once you do that......

blogengi wrote:

I don't believe so. I've heard that once the clips come loose, it's difficult to get them back in their correct positions cause you can't really tell where they were in the first place. It's a tamper proof mechanism that voids your warranty so they aren't obligated to replace it. There's nothing illegal about it. Someone posted a couple of pics of the MC board that they removed from their MicroCell. Apparently his cat knocked it over and the clips came loose and rattled around inside and of course his MC stopped working (blinking lights, etc). I don't think AT&T replaced it because he opened it up and once you do that......

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

49 of 54 (2,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 9:12:41 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by nsayer on Apr 27, 2011 at 9:14:33 PM

blogengi wrote:

I know the user manual says so, but I believe that's wrong.

Dude.

I have 20+ years of UHF RF experience. It's a GPS antenna connector. A GPS receive antenna has a pre-amp in it, generally speaking. You can't transmit through a pre-amp without blowing out the pre-amp. Never mind that GPS doesn't operate anywhere near the frequencies that the Microcell uses (850 MHz or 1.8 GHz).

Shorting out that connector is a bad idea because the Microcell is supplying a voltage down it to power the pre-amp. If there's any impact on the operation of the Microcell, that's probably why.

I *promise* you, it's a GPS reception antenna port. Nothing at all to do with the 3G input or output.

blogengi wrote:

I know the user manual says so, but I believe that's wrong.

Dude.

I have 20+ years of UHF RF experience. It's a GPS antenna connector. A GPS receive antenna has a pre-amp in it, generally speaking. You can't transmit through a pre-amp without blowing out the pre-amp. Never mind that GPS doesn't operate anywhere near the frequencies that the Microcell uses (850 MHz or 1.8 GHz).

Shorting out that connector is a bad idea because the Microcell is supplying a voltage down it to power the pre-amp. If there's any impact on the operation of the Microcell, that's probably why.

I *promise* you, it's a GPS reception antenna port. Nothing at all to do with the 3G input or output.

[ Edited ]
50 of 54 (2,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 8:08:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the helpful info to everyone. I agree that you have to be very careful when opening the Microcell or any other hi-tech device, not recommended for people without some technical experience. I will try to get one and open it up soon.

Thanks for the helpful info to everyone. I agree that you have to be very careful when opening the Microcell or any other hi-tech device, not recommended for people without some technical experience. I will try to get one and open it up soon.

51 of 54 (2,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 10:25:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

blogengi wrote:

I would recommend you look thru this board and find the pics of the MicroCell insides and see if it looks like you'll be able to accomplish what you want to do. Otherwise your arrogance is going to cost you $200 (unless you buy one off of eBay or get it free) and all you'll end up with is an interesting paperweight.

blogengi wrote:

I would recommend you look thru this board and find the pics of the MicroCell insides and see if it looks like you'll be able to accomplish what you want to do. Otherwise your arrogance is going to cost you $200 (unless you buy one off of eBay or get it free) and all you'll end up with is an interesting paperweight.

52 of 54 (2,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2011 8:49:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

It pains me to say this as a retired AT&T employee but AT&T is screwing everyone with these MicroCell units.  When I moved to my current rural location 10 years ago my then AT&T cell phone was dead, no signal.  I dropped the service at that time.  I waited until a couple of years ago and finally heard that neighbors were now getting weak signals with Sprint.   So, I got a couple of their cell phones.  Still could not use them inside the house.  A neighbor, having the same problem, was made an offer of Sprints version of a MicroCell which he took.  After looking it over and the results he obtained I too acquired the same unit, as did another neighbor of ours.  The critical difference is that none of us had to pay for the unit or pay any charges whatsoever to use them. Sprint really came through for all of us.
I am in the process of assisting another neighbor with her AT&T MicroCell install. It is turning into an adventure.  Her address was not accepted by the online registration system.  After a long call with AT&T tech support they have turned this over to another group to do some kind of fudging in their system to make this work.  And they said it could take up to a week to get this completed.   Sprint had no such issue with any of our installs in the same "neighborhood".  I don't know what it is about AT&T these days but they continually seem to take the most obtuse track to accomplishing seemingly simple tasks.
Too bad. 
To keep this on topic, the free Sprint unit came with an external GPS antenna with a long cable.  The AT&T unit, as you are all aware, does not.   Again, too bad.

It pains me to say this as a retired AT&T employee but AT&T is screwing everyone with these MicroCell units.  When I moved to my current rural location 10 years ago my then AT&T cell phone was dead, no signal.  I dropped the service at that time.  I waited until a couple of years ago and finally heard that neighbors were now getting weak signals with Sprint.   So, I got a couple of their cell phones.  Still could not use them inside the house.  A neighbor, having the same problem, was made an offer of Sprints version of a MicroCell which he took.  After looking it over and the results he obtained I too acquired the same unit, as did another neighbor of ours.  The critical difference is that none of us had to pay for the unit or pay any charges whatsoever to use them. Sprint really came through for all of us.
I am in the process of assisting another neighbor with her AT&T MicroCell install. It is turning into an adventure.  Her address was not accepted by the online registration system.  After a long call with AT&T tech support they have turned this over to another group to do some kind of fudging in their system to make this work.  And they said it could take up to a week to get this completed.   Sprint had no such issue with any of our installs in the same "neighborhood".  I don't know what it is about AT&T these days but they continually seem to take the most obtuse track to accomplishing seemingly simple tasks.
Too bad. 
To keep this on topic, the free Sprint unit came with an external GPS antenna with a long cable.  The AT&T unit, as you are all aware, does not.   Again, too bad.

53 of 54 (2,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 2:44:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yeah. Totally not true. Nice try though.

Yeah. Totally not true. Nice try though.

54 of 54 (2,156 Views)