M-Cell Antenna

Teacher

M-Cell Antenna

Does anyone know where to get the antenna that plugs into the M-Cell? I see there is a spot to screw one in and am thinking about getting one so I can put it in the closer with my WAP out of sight and running the antenna to the window.
Message 1 of 54
Tutor

Re: AT&T 3G Cisco MicroCell M-Cell GPS Antenna

Wow, Gilsson answered! Makes me want to buy a GPS antenna even if I don't need it! Thanks Gilsson, great customer service.

Message 16 of 54
Tutor

Thanks for the response, Glisson!  I ordered my antenna with 25ft of cable - and the extra 10 foot extension today!

Hope it does the trick.  My Microcell has been rock solid for several weeks now, but I do have it in my basement.  I've noticed after a power outage, it's taking an increasingly longer amount of time to get a GPS lock.  Now, today after a failure of my UPS (of all things!), I can't get it to GPS lock at all.  So, hopefully an antenna will do the trick.

Thanks again!

TimR><>

Message 17 of 54
Tutor

YEAH!! SUCCESS! After adding the antenna, plus Rreconfigured the set up so that the MicroCell was the first in the chain. Rebooted and waited 20 minutes. Then Viola! It works! Still don't get 5K square foot coverage but hey at least I can now use my cell phone in my house!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

PS I spoke with the tech guys from ATT and I mentioned that external antenna worked. They said that they officially couldn't "recommend" it but that they have heard reports that it works.Go figure. They'd rather have me return the MicroCell rather than have try out a $20 item.

Message 18 of 54

Re: M-Cell Antenna

Fry's Gilsson $29.00 can also be bought online.

Message 19 of 54
Tutor

Gilsson,

I just got your antenna (25ft cable) and 10 ft. extension cable - 35 ft total length.  I'm about 10ft shy of where I need to reach.  Can I buy another 10ft extension and still expect reasonably good reception with the antenna, or at that distance (45ft), do I need to switch to the low loss cables you mentioned in your post?

I'm already $45 in on this antenna project (including shipping) plus the $150 I spent on the Microcell to begin with, and I don't really want to turn this into big $$$.

Thanks

TimR><>

Message 20 of 54
Voyager

Excuse my confusion...

But how will this antennae help.   I thought that everything goes through the router/broadband now.

Does it help with the data

Message 21 of 54
Guru

It's a GPS remote antenna. It makes it possible to put the microcell somewhere it can't get a GPS lock, so long as you can place the antenna somewhere where it can.
Message 22 of 54
Voyager

Thanks nsayer...

So I guess my next question is - does the microcell need a constant or continuous GPS lock to operate properly?

Sorry for my ignorance on this. 

Message 23 of 54
Guru

They *claim* it needs to be continuous. It probably doesn't need to be literally continuous, but it certainly needs to be there to start it up, and you don't really know when it's going to want to check while it's working.

My perspective is that it's probably a lot more trouble to provide it with sporadic GPS coverage (say, by arranging a really long power / network cord and moving it where it can "visit" the sky every once in a while) than it is to either put it or an external GPS antenna where it can see the sky.

It's also possible that they're using the GPS signal as a convenient source for a time / frequency reference (the frequency tolerances for UMTS are too tight for an undisciplined crystal source) as well as for positioning. They're using NTP for time, but it may not be accurate enough. I don't know enough about UMTS to be 100% sure of any of this, however.

Message 24 of 54
Tutor

Hi Timr,

Yes, you can add another 10-feet extension without any problems.  We estimate the dB loss on our RG174 cable is about 0.3 dB/feet of cable + dB loss on the connectors.  Knowing our patch antenna can deliver 28dB of gain at the LNA, you will have sufficient dB gain after running 45 feet of cable. 

Please let us know if we can be of further service.  Thanks !

Cheers,

Ming Ho

Gilsson Technologies

Message 25 of 54
Tutor

Re: AT&T MicroCell GPS Antenna

GPS position (coordinates) is required for all wireless towers.  FCC rules require that phone companies to provide location of all handsets in order to trace 911 calls.  The GPS location can be provided by activating the GPS chip inside each chipset or it can be determined by triangulating the signal using different radio towers.  

Message 26 of 54
Teacher

I recently took my MCell to my in laws where I have NO AT&T coverage. I registered their address and plugged in the unit and tried it, no luck. I added 25 feet of Cat5 and 25 feet of A/C entension cord and dragged the MCell into the middle of the yard away from trees and buildings. As soon as the GPS stopped flashing I carried it all inside leaving everything plugged in and the unit worked for a week long vacation with no GPS signal. AT&T told me it only needed GPS during power on/bootup.
Message 27 of 54
Voyager

That's what I was told by the rep at the ATT store - that it only needs placed near window for GPS during the initial power up/register/boot process.   I guess that's why I've been confused about this entire thread.  Thanks for your help people.

Message 28 of 54
Tutor

I guess one can use a long extension cord to get a GPS lock near a window, then take it to the location they want it to be? But you won't be able to unplug the extension cord so just wind it up behind the table? Lol.

Repeat after every power outage or when it sporadically loses lock as mine does on occasion.

So I guess if you can use an extension cord and want to wind it up you don't need a GPS antenna.
Message 29 of 54

The unit is only intended to work in areas where AT&T owns the spectrum. If the unit is going to be used in an area where AT&T only has partner (roaming) coverage it should not work.

I would grab a small APC battery backup as opposed to extension cords. With a larger backup one could travel farther if the desired location is outside the AT&T native coverage area.
Message 30 of 54
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support