Wireless Forums

Posted Jun 30, 2010
5:02:46 PM
View profile
M-Cell Antenna
Does anyone know where to get the antenna that plugs into the M-Cell? I see there is a spot to screw one in and am thinking about getting one so I can put it in the closer with my WAP out of sight and running the antenna to the window.
Does anyone know where to get the antenna that plugs into the M-Cell? I see there is a spot to screw one in and am thinking about getting one so I can put it in the closer with my WAP out of sight and running the antenna to the window.

M-Cell Antenna

53 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(53)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 5:25:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

That connection is for an external GPS antenna (if needed) there is no way to connect an external antenna

for the cell side. There apparently is a "tamper" switch which will disable the unit if you try to open it..

Lance

That connection is for an external GPS antenna (if needed) there is no way to connect an external antenna

for the cell side. There apparently is a "tamper" switch which will disable the unit if you try to open it..

Lance

Re: M-Cell Antenna

2 of 54 (35,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 5:29:09 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by eisenb11 on Jun 30, 2010 at 5:30:21 PM

I picked mine up at Frys.

Link here

It's a Gilsson universal kit that includes the appropriate connector.

It's nice to not have my microcell blocking the light from my window.

I picked mine up at Frys.

Link here

It's a Gilsson universal kit that includes the appropriate connector.

It's nice to not have my microcell blocking the light from my window.

[ Edited ]
3 of 54 (35,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2010 2:42:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

This also works quite well - Powerful External Remote Amplified GPS Antenna Receiver for Garmin Nuvi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZKUR1W/ref=oss_product

This also works quite well - Powerful External Remote Amplified GPS Antenna Receiver for Garmin Nuvi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZKUR1W/ref=oss_product

4 of 54 (35,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2010 7:35:44 AM
(0)
Teacher
Just a warning... You don't want to place the microcell near your wireless router... My wifi-n devices connect fine but my wifi-g lost all connectivity
Just a warning... You don't want to place the microcell near your wireless router... My wifi-n devices connect fine but my wifi-g lost all connectivity

5 of 54 (35,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2010 8:30:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

Do these antennas help with cell phone reception from the microcell?

Do these antennas help with cell phone reception from the microcell?

6 of 54 (35,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2010 8:46:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

No these antennas only improve the signal from the GPS that the M-Cell receives. I am using it so I can put the M-Cell in a closet out of sight, but the GPS antenna will go up through my attic to a ridge vent.

No these antennas only improve the signal from the GPS that the M-Cell receives. I am using it so I can put the M-Cell in a closet out of sight, but the GPS antenna will go up through my attic to a ridge vent.

7 of 54 (35,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 11:52:21 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by eisenb11 on Jul 4, 2010 at 11:52:32 AM

jmatero wrote:

Yeah, the microcell instructions say to place it at least a few feet away from wifi routers.

Mine's about 4-5 feet away right now. I had it about 1.5 feet away for a while and it didn't seem to cause any harm with my G and N devices, but I've heard of others having problems with it being so close.

jmatero wrote:

Yeah, the microcell instructions say to place it at least a few feet away from wifi routers.

Mine's about 4-5 feet away right now. I had it about 1.5 feet away for a while and it didn't seem to cause any harm with my G and N devices, but I've heard of others having problems with it being so close.

[ Edited ]
8 of 54 (35,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 10:25:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

eisenb11,

Thanks for the link!  Do you know how many feet of cable comes with that antenna?

Thanks,

TimR><>

eisenb11,

Thanks for the link!  Do you know how many feet of cable comes with that antenna?

Thanks,

TimR><>

9 of 54 (35,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2010 12:18:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Gilsson Technologies offers several GPS antennas for the AT&T 3G Cisco MicroCell.  The Gilsson AT&T MicroCell antenna comes in 3, 9, 16 or 25-feet cable lengths.  GPSgeek sells the Gilsson high gain GPS antenna for $19.95:

http://www.gpsgeek.com/products/amplified-28db-mcx-external-gps-antenna-for-garmin-navman-lowrance-r...

In addition, one can purchase a 10-feet extension to lengthen the overall distance to 35 feet.

http://www.gpsgeek.com/products/extension-cable-for-gps-antenna-with-mcx-connector-10-foot-mcx-male-...

If you need something even longer with lower dB loss in the cable, one can consider using ultra low loss LMR cables with various Gilsson antennas, to place the GPS antenna 50-150 feet away from the MicroCell.  FYI, Gilsson designs and produces GPS antennas for military, aircraft, automobile and boating industries, so its quality far exceeds the quality of typical CE products.  You can call Gilsson toll free at 866-GILSSON, if you have specific requirements.  

Gilsson Technologies offers several GPS antennas for the AT&T 3G Cisco MicroCell.  The Gilsson AT&T MicroCell antenna comes in 3, 9, 16 or 25-feet cable lengths.  GPSgeek sells the Gilsson high gain GPS antenna for $19.95:

http://www.gpsgeek.com/products/amplified-28db-mcx-external-gps-antenna-for-garmin-navman-lowrance-receivers-nuvi350-680-750-880-zumo-colorado-c330-icn720-icn750-ifnderh2o-ifinderpro

In addition, one can purchase a 10-feet extension to lengthen the overall distance to 35 feet.

http://www.gpsgeek.com/products/extension-cable-for-gps-antenna-with-mcx-connector-10-foot-mcx-male-to-mcx-female

If you need something even longer with lower dB loss in the cable, one can consider using ultra low loss LMR cables with various Gilsson antennas, to place the GPS antenna 50-150 feet away from the MicroCell.  FYI, Gilsson designs and produces GPS antennas for military, aircraft, automobile and boating industries, so its quality far exceeds the quality of typical CE products.  You can call Gilsson toll free at 866-GILSSON, if you have specific requirements.  

AT&T 3G Cisco MicroCell M-Cell GPS Antenna

10 of 54 (35,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 8:17:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Do these external antenas really work?  I'm just got the Microcell and can't even register because of no GPS signal. Called tech support and they pretty much said "Return it" because it can't get GPS signal. I have an external antena for my Sirius Radio and asked the support person about the external antena jack on the back of the Microcell and she pretty much ignored the question.

Do these antena work on the Microcell. I was so excited to actual be able to use my cell phone in my house...wow what a concept....

Do these external antenas really work?  I'm just got the Microcell and can't even register because of no GPS signal. Called tech support and they pretty much said "Return it" because it can't get GPS signal. I have an external antena for my Sirius Radio and asked the support person about the external antena jack on the back of the Microcell and she pretty much ignored the question.

Do these antena work on the Microcell. I was so excited to actual be able to use my cell phone in my house...wow what a concept....

Re: AT&T 3G Cisco MicroCell M-Cell GPS Antenna

11 of 54 (21,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 4:00:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

yes the Gillson Antenna that I used works very well.  The forum documents lots of legitimate problems but I plugged the Microcell into my AT&T Uverse router and now that I have my antenna the microcell works wonderfully because I was able to place the microcell at a location more central to the house.  But I will say that once we get closer to the outside of the house I think the phone battles between leaving the call on the microcell and the outside cell tower and that is when we get the odd drop call.  Still much better than what we had to deal with before.

yes the Gillson Antenna that I used works very well.  The forum documents lots of legitimate problems but I plugged the Microcell into my AT&T Uverse router and now that I have my antenna the microcell works wonderfully because I was able to place the microcell at a location more central to the house.  But I will say that once we get closer to the outside of the house I think the phone battles between leaving the call on the microcell and the outside cell tower and that is when we get the odd drop call.  Still much better than what we had to deal with before.

12 of 54 (21,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 5:56:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I hope this will work.  :-)

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I hope this will work.  :-)

13 of 54 (21,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 8:33:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm actually impressed that Gillson actually created an account on here to answer that person's question about the length of the cable. Now that's customer service!

And yes, these GPS antennas do seem to work. My microcell is on the floor behind a wall with about 9 feet of cable so the receiver can sit next to my window.

I'm actually impressed that Gillson actually created an account on here to answer that person's question about the length of the cable. Now that's customer service!

And yes, these GPS antennas do seem to work. My microcell is on the floor behind a wall with about 9 feet of cable so the receiver can sit next to my window.

14 of 54 (21,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 7:32:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Got my antenna yesterday! Wow what fast service from Gilson! Anyhow, plugged it into the MicoCell and the GPS indicator light is now solid green! I love it when things actually work.

However, now my 3G indicator light is still flashing green. As of last night the "system" was unavailable so I couldn't access my account to see if the unit has been activated. Tried a reboot but no luck. Tried to reboot the router, modem and phone as well, no luck.

Got my antenna yesterday! Wow what fast service from Gilson! Anyhow, plugged it into the MicoCell and the GPS indicator light is now solid green! I love it when things actually work.

However, now my 3G indicator light is still flashing green. As of last night the "system" was unavailable so I couldn't access my account to see if the unit has been activated. Tried a reboot but no luck. Tried to reboot the router, modem and phone as well, no luck.

15 of 54 (21,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 9:21:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

Wow, Gilsson answered! Makes me want to buy a GPS antenna even if I don't need it! Thanks Gilsson, great customer service.

Wow, Gilsson answered! Makes me want to buy a GPS antenna even if I don't need it! Thanks Gilsson, great customer service.

16 of 54 (21,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2010 1:55:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the response, Glisson!  I ordered my antenna with 25ft of cable - and the extra 10 foot extension today!

Hope it does the trick.  My Microcell has been rock solid for several weeks now, but I do have it in my basement.  I've noticed after a power outage, it's taking an increasingly longer amount of time to get a GPS lock.  Now, today after a failure of my UPS (of all things!), I can't get it to GPS lock at all.  So, hopefully an antenna will do the trick.

Thanks again!

TimR><>

Thanks for the response, Glisson!  I ordered my antenna with 25ft of cable - and the extra 10 foot extension today!

Hope it does the trick.  My Microcell has been rock solid for several weeks now, but I do have it in my basement.  I've noticed after a power outage, it's taking an increasingly longer amount of time to get a GPS lock.  Now, today after a failure of my UPS (of all things!), I can't get it to GPS lock at all.  So, hopefully an antenna will do the trick.

Thanks again!

TimR><>

17 of 54 (21,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2010 2:36:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

YEAH!! SUCCESS! After adding the antenna, plus Rreconfigured the set up so that the MicroCell was the first in the chain. Rebooted and waited 20 minutes. Then Viola! It works! Still don't get 5K square foot coverage but hey at least I can now use my cell phone in my house!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

PS I spoke with the tech guys from ATT and I mentioned that external antenna worked. They said that they officially couldn't "recommend" it but that they have heard reports that it works.Go figure. They'd rather have me return the MicroCell rather than have try out a $20 item.

YEAH!! SUCCESS! After adding the antenna, plus Rreconfigured the set up so that the MicroCell was the first in the chain. Rebooted and waited 20 minutes. Then Viola! It works! Still don't get 5K square foot coverage but hey at least I can now use my cell phone in my house!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

PS I spoke with the tech guys from ATT and I mentioned that external antenna worked. They said that they officially couldn't "recommend" it but that they have heard reports that it works.Go figure. They'd rather have me return the MicroCell rather than have try out a $20 item.

18 of 54 (21,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2010 3:34:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

Fry's Gilsson $29.00 can also be bought online.

Fry's Gilsson $29.00 can also be bought online.

19 of 54 (21,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 8:28:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

Gilsson,

I just got your antenna (25ft cable) and 10 ft. extension cable - 35 ft total length.  I'm about 10ft shy of where I need to reach.  Can I buy another 10ft extension and still expect reasonably good reception with the antenna, or at that distance (45ft), do I need to switch to the low loss cables you mentioned in your post?

I'm already $45 in on this antenna project (including shipping) plus the $150 I spent on the Microcell to begin with, and I don't really want to turn this into big $$$.

Thanks

TimR><>

Gilsson,

I just got your antenna (25ft cable) and 10 ft. extension cable - 35 ft total length.  I'm about 10ft shy of where I need to reach.  Can I buy another 10ft extension and still expect reasonably good reception with the antenna, or at that distance (45ft), do I need to switch to the low loss cables you mentioned in your post?

I'm already $45 in on this antenna project (including shipping) plus the $150 I spent on the Microcell to begin with, and I don't really want to turn this into big $$$.

Thanks

TimR><>

20 of 54 (21,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 7:30:59 AM
(0)
Voyager

Excuse my confusion...

But how will this antennae help.   I thought that everything goes through the router/broadband now.

Does it help with the data

Excuse my confusion...

But how will this antennae help.   I thought that everything goes through the router/broadband now.

Does it help with the data

21 of 54 (18,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 7:34:58 AM
(0)
Guru
It's a GPS remote antenna. It makes it possible to put the microcell somewhere it can't get a GPS lock, so long as you can place the antenna somewhere where it can.
It's a GPS remote antenna. It makes it possible to put the microcell somewhere it can't get a GPS lock, so long as you can place the antenna somewhere where it can.

22 of 54 (18,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 9:11:41 AM
(0)
Voyager

Thanks nsayer...

So I guess my next question is - does the microcell need a constant or continuous GPS lock to operate properly?

Sorry for my ignorance on this. 

Thanks nsayer...

So I guess my next question is - does the microcell need a constant or continuous GPS lock to operate properly?

Sorry for my ignorance on this. 

23 of 54 (18,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 10:01:08 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by nsayer on Jul 23, 2010 at 10:04:21 AM

They *claim* it needs to be continuous. It probably doesn't need to be literally continuous, but it certainly needs to be there to start it up, and you don't really know when it's going to want to check while it's working.

My perspective is that it's probably a lot more trouble to provide it with sporadic GPS coverage (say, by arranging a really long power / network cord and moving it where it can "visit" the sky every once in a while) than it is to either put it or an external GPS antenna where it can see the sky.

It's also possible that they're using the GPS signal as a convenient source for a time / frequency reference (the frequency tolerances for UMTS are too tight for an undisciplined crystal source) as well as for positioning. They're using NTP for time, but it may not be accurate enough. I don't know enough about UMTS to be 100% sure of any of this, however.

They *claim* it needs to be continuous. It probably doesn't need to be literally continuous, but it certainly needs to be there to start it up, and you don't really know when it's going to want to check while it's working.

My perspective is that it's probably a lot more trouble to provide it with sporadic GPS coverage (say, by arranging a really long power / network cord and moving it where it can "visit" the sky every once in a while) than it is to either put it or an external GPS antenna where it can see the sky.

It's also possible that they're using the GPS signal as a convenient source for a time / frequency reference (the frequency tolerances for UMTS are too tight for an undisciplined crystal source) as well as for positioning. They're using NTP for time, but it may not be accurate enough. I don't know enough about UMTS to be 100% sure of any of this, however.

[ Edited ]
24 of 54 (18,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 3:16:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Timr,

Yes, you can add another 10-feet extension without any problems.  We estimate the dB loss on our RG174 cable is about 0.3 dB/feet of cable + dB loss on the connectors.  Knowing our patch antenna can deliver 28dB of gain at the LNA, you will have sufficient dB gain after running 45 feet of cable. 

Please let us know if we can be of further service.  Thanks !

Cheers,

Ming Ho

Gilsson Technologies

Hi Timr,

Yes, you can add another 10-feet extension without any problems.  We estimate the dB loss on our RG174 cable is about 0.3 dB/feet of cable + dB loss on the connectors.  Knowing our patch antenna can deliver 28dB of gain at the LNA, you will have sufficient dB gain after running 45 feet of cable. 

Please let us know if we can be of further service.  Thanks !

Cheers,

Ming Ho

Gilsson Technologies

25 of 54 (18,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 3:25:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

GPS position (coordinates) is required for all wireless towers.  FCC rules require that phone companies to provide location of all handsets in order to trace 911 calls.  The GPS location can be provided by activating the GPS chip inside each chipset or it can be determined by triangulating the signal using different radio towers.  

GPS position (coordinates) is required for all wireless towers.  FCC rules require that phone companies to provide location of all handsets in order to trace 911 calls.  The GPS location can be provided by activating the GPS chip inside each chipset or it can be determined by triangulating the signal using different radio towers.  

Re: AT&T MicroCell GPS Antenna

26 of 54 (18,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2010 4:12:50 PM
(0)
Teacher
I recently took my MCell to my in laws where I have NO AT&T coverage. I registered their address and plugged in the unit and tried it, no luck. I added 25 feet of Cat5 and 25 feet of A/C entension cord and dragged the MCell into the middle of the yard away from trees and buildings. As soon as the GPS stopped flashing I carried it all inside leaving everything plugged in and the unit worked for a week long vacation with no GPS signal. AT&T told me it only needed GPS during power on/bootup.
I recently took my MCell to my in laws where I have NO AT&T coverage. I registered their address and plugged in the unit and tried it, no luck. I added 25 feet of Cat5 and 25 feet of A/C entension cord and dragged the MCell into the middle of the yard away from trees and buildings. As soon as the GPS stopped flashing I carried it all inside leaving everything plugged in and the unit worked for a week long vacation with no GPS signal. AT&T told me it only needed GPS during power on/bootup.

27 of 54 (18,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 6:37:48 AM
(0)
Voyager

That's what I was told by the rep at the ATT store - that it only needs placed near window for GPS during the initial power up/register/boot process.   I guess that's why I've been confused about this entire thread.  Thanks for your help people.

That's what I was told by the rep at the ATT store - that it only needs placed near window for GPS during the initial power up/register/boot process.   I guess that's why I've been confused about this entire thread.  Thanks for your help people.

28 of 54 (18,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 6:56:29 AM
(0)
Tutor
I guess one can use a long extension cord to get a GPS lock near a window, then take it to the location they want it to be? But you won't be able to unplug the extension cord so just wind it up behind the table? Lol.

Repeat after every power outage or when it sporadically loses lock as mine does on occasion.

So I guess if you can use an extension cord and want to wind it up you don't need a GPS antenna.
I guess one can use a long extension cord to get a GPS lock near a window, then take it to the location they want it to be? But you won't be able to unplug the extension cord so just wind it up behind the table? Lol.

Repeat after every power outage or when it sporadically loses lock as mine does on occasion.

So I guess if you can use an extension cord and want to wind it up you don't need a GPS antenna.

29 of 54 (18,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2010 7:54:34 AM
(0)
Tutor
The unit is only intended to work in areas where AT&T owns the spectrum. If the unit is going to be used in an area where AT&T only has partner (roaming) coverage it should not work.

I would grab a small APC battery backup as opposed to extension cords. With a larger backup one could travel farther if the desired location is outside the AT&T native coverage area.
The unit is only intended to work in areas where AT&T owns the spectrum. If the unit is going to be used in an area where AT&T only has partner (roaming) coverage it should not work.

I would grab a small APC battery backup as opposed to extension cords. With a larger backup one could travel farther if the desired location is outside the AT&T native coverage area.

30 of 54 (18,227 Views)