Ask a question

Posted Mar 30, 2010
    6:18:06 PM
    View profile
    Lost text messages

Is it possible to retrieve text messages that have been lost or deleted?  My son put his sims card into my phone to download some phone numbers stored on my phone.  When mine was put back in, all my text messages and call lists were gone.   

Lost text messages

9 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (9)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 30, 2010 8:47:38 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

once deleted off your phone they are gone. sorry!

Re: Lost text messages

2 of 10 (13,069 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 31, 2010 6:42:20 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

If they're truly 'gone', then how is it you hear about pictures, texts, etc being made public or captured in court cases?  Are they just gone from the user.....or everyone?  Could a law enforcement official obtain access to them if needed in a court matter?  I was led to believe that nothing is really ever 'gone'.  True/false?   I actually needed to retain the ones I thought were 'locked' for a possible aggravated assault matter.  Thanks for your help. 

3 of 10 (13,032 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 1, 2010 8:18:50 PM
    (0)
    Master

It takes a court subpeona served on ATT's legal department to obtain anything from your account regarding text messages.  There's been debates about how long carriers keep them on the servers, so I haven't found a clearcut answer to the time frame.

But to get a court subpeona requires an attorney and a judge to issue the subpeona to serve on the carrier to release those records -- and you're talking big bucks to get it.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
    If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

4 of 10 (13,001 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 2, 2010 12:07:19 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

EVEN IF ITS FROM YOUR OWN ACCOUNT, OR A SHARED ACCOUNT?

5 of 10 (12,966 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 2, 2010 1:44:38 PM
    (0)
    Master

Yep

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
    If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

6 of 10 (12,958 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 2, 2010 2:55:55 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Crazy8s, this is true of landlines, also.  At least it is in my state.  The customer has no right to his or her own phone records.  Only a subpoena can access them, and in order to get a subpoena there must be a warrant or criminal charges filed.  This is not just AT&T not being willing to give up records. 

7 of 10 (12,950 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 2, 2010 3:25:39 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Even w/ a supena this isnt garunteed. It all depends on the current policy of AT&T and the deptpartment that can or can not realase it. I have chekce dmyself once before and was told that you could not receive this info even if you had a supena but like always policy will change

8 of 10 (12,947 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 12:30:36 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

This same thing happened to me, did you ever retrieve your messages? My messages were LOCKED on my phone and I took my SIM card out. When I put it back in all my messages and recent calls were gone.

9 of 10 (11,974 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 24, 2011 8:20:31 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am having an issue. Well my daughter is.  She is seeing a young man who happens to be of a different race. No biggie to us, but it seems it is to someone.

Part1:

My daughter has received text messages purportedly from the young man, speaking of my daughter in derogatory terms. Young gentleman of course denied it. It happened again. Young gentleman was very upset and called his carrier to find out what was going on and was told he was "hacked" and now has an open fraud case with his carrier.

Part 2:

while away on a weekend trip with the young gentleman, my daughter got several texts from a young woman who claimed to be the young man's girl friend and sent a very poorly photoshopped picture as "proof". After several go rounds, the young woman decided she had the wrong young man after all and apologized for all the trouble. My daughter asked the young woman if she was the one behind the derogatory texts, of which the young woman denied having any involvement.  Young woman said she got all her information about my daughter and her young man from facebook (both are private) and paying for information on the internet--this young woman even knew the young mans brother's name and cousin;s names, leading us all to believe that she had at the very least known the young man at some point, if not currently,

Part 3:

This same young woman texted my daughter again Sunday night when she returned home from her weekend away, claiming to work for ATT and asked my daughter if my daughter would like her to find out where the derogatory texts were coming from. Of course my daughter said yes. Roughly one hour later the young woman says the texts came from the young gentleman's phone, and further, she had some texts she thought my daughter should see. The young woman sent a transcript of those texts messages to my daughter;s phone, with one of the phone numbers blacked out--she said she was not allowed to disclose that information; and they do look incriminating, until one notices that the texts are dated oct 23 at 3am, asking how the trip went--when my daughter and the young gentleman were still away and, um....busy.

So, this long explanation is to ask is this possible that an employee of ATT could see this information and send it out? The young woman in question is in the 20-23 age range, so not likely to be a high level person.

My daughter is concerned that a), this young woman is crazy and may try more physical tactics if this does not succeed in breaking up the relationship and of course, in the back of her mind she has to wonder about the veracity of her young mans honesty.

Thank you

Zoey

NEW: ATT employee sending out text transcripts?

10 of 10 (9,870 Views)