Lost phone

Contributor

Lost phone

My daughter just recently lost her phone.  I have signed up for the family map feature to track her phone.  My question is, does her SIMMs card need to be in it to track the phone or can the phone be located enen though the person who found it has changed the SIMMs card?

Message 1 of 7
Expert

Re: Lost phone

marioortiz wrote:

My daughter just recently lost her phone.  I have signed up for the family map feature to track her phone.  My question is, does her SIMMs card need to be in it to track the phone or can the phone be located enen though the person who found it has changed the SIMMs card?

Her simcard has to be in the phone for it to be tracked unfortunately.

Message 2 of 7

as stated her SIM card would need to be in the device that's registered for the family map feature and it must also be powered on and in an area w/ coverage

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 7
Contributor

Re: Lost phone - options.

My daughter did the same thing. her sim is in the phone, but she neglected to tell anyone that it was lost until the battery had run out! So like you we have no way of finding the phone. No one has used the phone since it disappeared, so I suspect she lost it somewhere on our property. After four months I have some options: Report it lost and have it suspended ( have to continue paying though!), replace the phone (she will just lose the next one and I can't afford to pay for a new phone) or cancel her off the family plan. How do I go about doing the latter?

Message 4 of 7
Guru

Each line has its own contract so you would have to pay an early termination fee to cancel if the line your daughter was using is still under contract.  If it is not, then call customer service and cancel the line and there would not be any financial penalty. 

Next time someone loses a phone you might want to call and suspend service immediately.  You would be responsible for that line if someone finds the phone and uses it; calls to another country are costly.  My son  had to call a Canadian number while on a business trip to New York, and although the call was made to a location just over the border, less than five minutes of calls cost about $16.

If your daughter paid for her own phone would that help her be more responsible with it?  That didn't help with one of my kids but it might be worth a try.

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

She did save up enough money and bought her own phone, including insurance. - am hoping that this will make her more responsible, but I'm not holding my breath. I refused to buy her a new one until she proved to me that she could be more responsible and it looked like she would never get a new one, so she had to get one herself.
Message 6 of 7
Contributor

I have lost go phone and the number with it.  Is there a way to log in without the number

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support