Ask a question

Posted Aug 22, 2011
    6:10:18 PM
    View profile
    Lost my iphone.

I upgraded to an iphone 3 a couple of weeks ago and got the otterbox case for it. Everything was great until yesterday while riding my harley to town my phone came out of the case. The clip was still attached to my belt but no phone. I have suspended my account and changed my itunes password. What is the next step to get another phone? I had insurance on my previous phone but when I saw that it was increasing to 6.99/mo with $199 deductible for the iphone that cost $49.99 I canceled it. So do I go buy another phone and get a different number, keep the same number, buy a used phone? I found out after the fact that you can get an app to locate a lost phone - seems to me that it should come on the phone. Any help is appreciated!

Lost my iphone.

7 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (7)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2011 6:25:50 PM
    (0)
    Employee

jcl1957 wrote:

I had insurance on my previous phone but when I saw that it was increasing to 6.99/mo with $199 deductible for the iphone that cost $49.99 I canceled it. 

Another iPhone 3GS will now cost you $425.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Lost my iphone.

2 of 8 (762 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2011 6:28:23 PM
    (0)
    Master

At this point, you do not qualify for a discount.  You can buy a phone off of ebay, Go to the Apple store and see what discounts they may have...  Either way, you can keep you same name!

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
    Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 8 (759 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2011 6:25:13 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

Your homeowners or renters insurance *may* cover some of the costs for a lost phone, its worth checking that. AT&T will replace the lost sim, so you can keep your same phone number.

You'll need to buy a non-subsidised phone of some sort for service. With the iPhone 5 due out any week now, iPhone3GS devices should be flooding ebay soon.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (714 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2011 4:29:02 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it would have been less painful to just shoot myself in the foot ;-)

5 of 8 (685 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 24, 2011 10:01:47 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by ShaunMN on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:36:03 PM

Yo man, Iunno your situation but this one time I leff my iPhone in dat chick Shaniqua's car, and she drove off. I was like  son, i unno when ima see that again, and she might use up my  phone plan. So i turned on the remote GPS from this app i had and boom i found that , and got my phone back, - man i look at the screen, chick done already made 2 long distance calls with it!  son! {word filter evasion}

[ Edited ]
    6 of 8 (645 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 24, 2011 10:41:51 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by ShaunMN on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:36:55 PM

JohnnyWireless wrote:

Yo man, Iunno your situation but this one time I leff my iPhone in dat chick Shaniqua's car, and she drove off. I was like  son, i unno when ima see that  again, and she might use up my  phone plan. So i turned on the remote GPS from this app i had and boom i found that , and got my phone back, - man i look at the screen, chick done already made 2 long distance calls with it!  son!{word filter evasion}

Shaniqua? Your story literally made me laugh. Smiley Very Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    7 of 8 (637 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 21, 2011 4:33:10 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

JCL1957

Verify with AT&T if someone is using your device (you have the serial number on your computer, or on your receipt)....if so, file a police report and tell them to serve a search warrant on AT&T to find out who is using the device\ - then get the device back.  (AT&T will not deactivate the service to your device, because "they only provide service to the SIM card, not the device).

My husband had the same problem with his Otterbox case (on the harley) - the phone was not damaged and someone picked it up and was using it within 3 days.  AT&T verified that the phone had been activated (they in fact help;ed the person activate it, since they had to re-set the SIM PIN). 

Long story short - we got the phone back, she destroyed it before returning it, but we took her to small claims court and she had to pay to replace the phone  (and she lost her job with the federal government) .

GOOD LUCK - it's a lot of work, but worth it.  Maybe people will make better decisions when they see a phone dropped on the ground.

8 of 8 (433 Views)