Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 18, 2012
12:01:51 PM
View profile
Lost my grandfathered-in text message plan...
Edited by ChristopherPage on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:34:47 PM

For the past 3-4 years I've been using AT&Ts $5 for 200 text message plan without issues.  This past month I used many more text messages than I normally do, and realized it would cost less to switch to the $20 for unlimited text messages plan for a month.

Now, a week later, when I attempt to switch back to my old plan I no longer have the option.  After calling AT&T I'm told that my old plan was grandfathered in and that I would be unable to switch back.

However, this was in NO WAY clear to me when I made the temporary switch to the $20 plan.  There was no message informing me that I would no longer be able to use my old plan, nor was there an email sent to me informing me as such.

This strikes me as a deceptive business practice.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  I'm unwilling to pay $20 a month for texting and intend to cancel my account with AT&T if they can't make amends.

Best,

Chris

For the past 3-4 years I've been using AT&Ts $5 for 200 text message plan without issues.  This past month I used many more text messages than I normally do, and realized it would cost less to switch to the $20 for unlimited text messages plan for a month.

Now, a week later, when I attempt to switch back to my old plan I no longer have the option.  After calling AT&T I'm told that my old plan was grandfathered in and that I would be unable to switch back.

However, this was in NO WAY clear to me when I made the temporary switch to the $20 plan.  There was no message informing me that I would no longer be able to use my old plan, nor was there an email sent to me informing me as such.

This strikes me as a deceptive business practice.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  I'm unwilling to pay $20 a month for texting and intend to cancel my account with AT&T if they can't make amends.

Best,

Chris

Lost my grandfathered-in text message plan...

[ Edited ]
1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2012 8:02:22 PM
(0)
Master

You may keep an old plan for as long as you do not make a change.  Once you change to an available plan you cannot get back an old plan that is no longer available.  In you case, you can't get back to that $5 plan.  I had it too and it was a great option but one that is no longer available.

Do what you see as best for you but understand that all the carriers treat these old plans the same way.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

You may keep an old plan for as long as you do not make a change.  Once you change to an available plan you cannot get back an old plan that is no longer available.  In you case, you can't get back to that $5 plan.  I had it too and it was a great option but one that is no longer available.

Do what you see as best for you but understand that all the carriers treat these old plans the same way.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Lost my grandfathered-in text message plan...

2 of 2 (1,216 Views)