Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Aug 27, 2011
2:02:22 PM
View profile
Lost money on a transaction I did not make.
Edited by cloudbusted on Aug 27, 2011 at 2:21:55 PM

So a week or so back I bought a 25$ prepaid card for my GoPhone and the money is set to expire in November. Since buying that prepaid card I have made my first transaction today: a text message costing my usual 2 dollars. Yet I noticed that my remaining balance was only 11 dollars. So I log into my GoPhone account and it tells me I was charged 10 dollars for "RingTones/AnswerTones/Games" yet I did nothing of the sort and didn't even use my phone on the day specified. 

As usual I can't get ahold of anyone through online customer service and the phone is only more hassle. Does anyone know why something like this would happen? If there is some secret 10 dollar charge I don't know about that will happen again this may well be the last time I bother with at&t or prepaid in general. I don't want to have to get a plan but it seems like plan users get better customer service and less weird transactions. 

So a week or so back I bought a 25$ prepaid card for my GoPhone and the money is set to expire in November. Since buying that prepaid card I have made my first transaction today: a text message costing my usual 2 dollars. Yet I noticed that my remaining balance was only 11 dollars. So I log into my GoPhone account and it tells me I was charged 10 dollars for "RingTones/AnswerTones/Games" yet I did nothing of the sort and didn't even use my phone on the day specified. 

As usual I can't get ahold of anyone through online customer service and the phone is only more hassle. Does anyone know why something like this would happen? If there is some secret 10 dollar charge I don't know about that will happen again this may well be the last time I bother with at&t or prepaid in general. I don't want to have to get a plan but it seems like plan users get better customer service and less weird transactions. 

Lost money on a transaction I did not make.

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2011 9:35:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Aug 28, 2011 at 9:49:53 AM

I would contact customer service (611 from your cell phone).  You'll need to state "more options" at the first menu prompt, and then "customer service" at each subsequent prompt to reach a live representative.  Generally as long as there isn't a pattern of disputed charges, they will refund the charge.  If you've provided your cell phone number for anything on-line recently, I suspect that's where the $10 charge came from - a lot of monthly subscription fees are $9.99.  Unless the text message you sent was to an individual that you know, it could be that is how you were signed up for the subscription. (?)

(It used to be that at&t had an automated on-line method for requesting/receiving credit for this type of thing, but the link is no longer active; and I'm not finding any information re: "Direct Bill" at the at&t website itself. Smiley Sad )

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

I would contact customer service (611 from your cell phone).  You'll need to state "more options" at the first menu prompt, and then "customer service" at each subsequent prompt to reach a live representative.  Generally as long as there isn't a pattern of disputed charges, they will refund the charge.  If you've provided your cell phone number for anything on-line recently, I suspect that's where the $10 charge came from - a lot of monthly subscription fees are $9.99.  Unless the text message you sent was to an individual that you know, it could be that is how you were signed up for the subscription. (?)

(It used to be that at&t had an automated on-line method for requesting/receiving credit for this type of thing, but the link is no longer active; and I'm not finding any information re: "Direct Bill" at the at&t website itself. Smiley Sad )

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Lost money on a transaction I did not make.

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2011 10:48:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

So if someone had gotten my cell phone number and signs me up for something, there's nothing I can do to stop it? Does this only happen with prepaid numbers only? I was thinking of swtiching to a plan, but I'm guessing I'll need to be careful about who I give my number to. 

So if someone had gotten my cell phone number and signs me up for something, there's nothing I can do to stop it? Does this only happen with prepaid numbers only? I was thinking of swtiching to a plan, but I'm guessing I'll need to be careful about who I give my number to. 

3 of 8 (444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2011 1:23:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
i had the same problem just dial 8003310500 it will transfer you to the gophone operator...the operator will come on giving you several different options dont press any...after a repeated number of times the operator will change the option and ask you to press 0 for more assistance(you will be transfered to a human) tell them your issue and they will refund your money....hope this helps
i had the same problem just dial 8003310500 it will transfer you to the gophone operator...the operator will come on giving you several different options dont press any...after a repeated number of times the operator will change the option and ask you to press 0 for more assistance(you will be transfered to a human) tell them your issue and they will refund your money....hope this helps

4 of 8 (433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 4:57:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

cloudbusted wrote:

While on the phone with customer service you can ask them if a purchase block is available for prepaid customers.  (I'm not sure if it is or not - it is a service that's available for post paid customers.)  You'll receive a PIN that you have to use in making any authorized purchases that are to be billed to your at&t line of service.

But regardless - yes, I would be careful of who you provide your cell phone number to; personally, I avoid giving mine to businesses, etc. unless there is truly a legitimate need for them to have it.  And there are tons of "scams" for monthly ringtone/game subscriptions where if you look at the fine print, you get signed up for them by accepting/requesting something via a text message.  (Also on-line ads for things, etc. - always read the fine print that comes with an offer for "free" stuff.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

cloudbusted wrote:

While on the phone with customer service you can ask them if a purchase block is available for prepaid customers.  (I'm not sure if it is or not - it is a service that's available for post paid customers.)  You'll receive a PIN that you have to use in making any authorized purchases that are to be billed to your at&t line of service.

But regardless - yes, I would be careful of who you provide your cell phone number to; personally, I avoid giving mine to businesses, etc. unless there is truly a legitimate need for them to have it.  And there are tons of "scams" for monthly ringtone/game subscriptions where if you look at the fine print, you get signed up for them by accepting/requesting something via a text message.  (Also on-line ads for things, etc. - always read the fine print that comes with an offer for "free" stuff.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 4:38:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

If you see any charge like that on your online account history that says RingTones/AnswerTones/Games, but you never signed up for any subscriptions or downloaded any content, and I see that it becomes a hassle for you contacting Customer Service, you can go to att.com/directbill. You can see there what the charge is all about and you may process a refund if you never really purchased or signed up for a content/subscription. You must have the phone when you do this as you will be sent a confirmation message on your gophone that you will need to put on that website.

att.com/directbill

If you see any charge like that on your online account history that says RingTones/AnswerTones/Games, but you never signed up for any subscriptions or downloaded any content, and I see that it becomes a hassle for you contacting Customer Service, you can go to att.com/directbill. You can see there what the charge is all about and you may process a refund if you never really purchased or signed up for a content/subscription. You must have the phone when you do this as you will be sent a confirmation message on your gophone that you will need to put on that website.

att.com/directbill

6 of 8 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 4:38:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

wacko wrote:

att.com/directbill

Thank you very much for providing a working link to the direct bill webpage. Smiley Happy  (If at&t would incorporate access to all the various webpages specific to a user's account from within their on-line account, it would make things so much easier.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

wacko wrote:

att.com/directbill

Thank you very much for providing a working link to the direct bill webpage. Smiley Happy  (If at&t would incorporate access to all the various webpages specific to a user's account from within their on-line account, it would make things so much easier.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

7 of 8 (396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2011 2:15:48 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hi cloudbusted - did you get this issue sorted out or do you need some help?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hi cloudbusted - did you get this issue sorted out or do you need some help?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 8 (374 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments