Helpful Links

Lost Voicemail number..

Master

Lost Voicemail number..

So, I set up Youmail on my samsung blackjack2. I decided to return to the att voicemail. I followed the directions youmail provided. It has some sort of ##400# type code. I'm not sure exactly. The code stated it went through successfully. Yet I was still routed to youmail when I pressed the number one key.

I canceled the account completely with youmail. I even tried to erase the phone number under settings for youmail. in hopes that if it were blank. Att network would update it to the correct number. I powered the device off then on. This did not work.

I contacted att and they asked me to use my regular cell number to contact my voicemail. I was on a different device while performing this action. It was effective and I was able to  retrieve my voicemails.

In the past I remember there was a different number to call when I retrieved voicemails. I asked the Call center rep about this and they did not understand my question.

In conclusion to my ramblings, Isn't there supposed to be a different number for my voicemail? For example, there's a different number for the texts to go to. 

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: Lost Voicemail number..

Smurfette27 wrote:

So, I set up Youmail on my samsung blackjack2. I decided to return to the att voicemail. I followed the directions youmail provided. It has some sort of ##400# type code. I'm not sure exactly. The code stated it went through successfully. Yet I was still routed to youmail when I pressed the number one key.

I canceled the account completely with youmail. I even tried to erase the phone number under settings for youmail. in hopes that if it were blank. Att network would update it to the correct number. I powered the device off then on. This did not work.

I contacted att and they asked me to use my regular cell number to contact my voicemail. I was on a different device while performing this action. It was effective and I was able to  retrieve my voicemails.

In the past I remember there was a different number to call when I retrieved voicemails. I asked the Call center rep about this and they did not understand my question.

In conclusion to my ramblings, Isn't there supposed to be a different number for my voicemail? For example, there's a different number for the texts to go to. 

Instead of ##004# try ##002#, see if that works. If not, call CS and ask them what your VM deposit and VM retrieval numbers should be — they should be able to understand those terms. If they tell you to use your own number to dial VM, tell them you're going to be roaming internationally and refer them to the FAQ which explains that it'll cost extra to do it that way.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10
Master

dmapr wrote:

/

Instead of ##004# try ##002#, see if that works. If not, call CS and ask them what your VM deposit and VM retrieval numbers should be — they should be able to understand those terms. If they tell you to use your own number to dial VM, tell them you're going to be roaming internationally and refer them to the FAQ which explains that it'll cost extra to do it that way.

Thank you! I shall review the FAQ and call them back if the code does not work for me. I have international roaming blocked on my device. So hopefully I won't have roaming issues. 

Message 3 of 10
Master

I've tried both codes. Each one gives me the message "Suceeded" but then I am still routed to my own phone number for voicemails. When I dial one. this is odd to me. Especiallly since I've had issues with Youmail in the past. Meaning, I would somehow end up wth my calls routing back to att voicemail on their own. LOL. I guess I'll have to call att back again..
Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

Smurfette27 wrote:
I've tried both codes. Each one gives me the message "Suceeded" but then I am still routed to my own phone number for voicemails. When I dial one. this is odd to me. Especiallly since I've had issues with Youmail in the past. Meaning, I would somehow end up wth my calls routing back to att voicemail on their own. LOL. I guess I'll have to call att back again..

Sorry, I messed up. The ##002# is supposed to reset your VM deposit numbers, but I don't think it'll trigger an OTA to update the VM retrieval number — you will still need to call CS to get that. So the incoming calls should now be routed to AT&T VM, but the number the phone calls to retrieve those will not change automatically. You can either find out from AT&T CS which one it is or request an OTA update to have your phone reprogram it automatically. Throughout my service I've only seen the OTA reprogramming of my VM retrieval number once, so it's probably easier to just reprogram yourself.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Master

dmaSorry, I messed up. The ##002# is supposed to reset your VM deposit numbers, but I don't think it'll trigger an OTA to update the VM retrieval number — you will still need to call CS to get that. So the incoming calls should now be routed to AT&T VM, but the number the phone calls to retrieve those will not change automatically. You can either find out from AT&T CS which one it is or request an OTA update to have your phone reprogram it automatically. Throughout my service I've only seen the OTA reprogramming of my VM retrieval number once, so it's probably easier to just reprogram yourself.
It's alright.. Then My question would be this. I have a total of five lines on my account. I'm wondering if my voicemail retrieval number is the same as others on my account? Or maybe it depends on the area code I have?

Message 6 of 10
ACE - Expert

Smurfette27 wrote:

It's alright.. Then My question would be this. I have a total of five lines on my account. I'm wondering if my voicemail retrieval number is the same as others on my account? Or maybe it depends on the area code I have?

Good thinking, Smurfette. It certainly is worth checking out — while it's not a 100% certainty they're all the same, it's a very high probability that at least some of them are. I'd certainly give it a shot.

Message 7 of 10
Master

I assume that the worst that will happen is, the call just won't go to my voicemail?
Message 8 of 10
ACE - Expert

Smurfette27 wrote:
I assume that the worst that will happen is, the call just won't go to my voicemail?

Yes, you'll be prompted to enter a mailbox number — I would still try your 10-digit phone number just to be sure, but the worst case scenario you're told there's no such mailbox.
Message 9 of 10
Contributor

All you need to do is change the speed dial entry in your "Message Settings" box... go to "Messaging" or whatever it's called on your phone, then find "VoiceMail Access Number" or something along those lines, then type your VM access number in the place of YM's VM access number. A master reset on the phone might also do the trick.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support