Lost Phone, Tracker?

Contributor

Lost Phone, Tracker?

Can I have my phone tracked so I can find it? Is there something I or AT&T can do about my lost iPhone 3G? I couldn't find any relevant information to tracking anywhere on google or the att website. Thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (22,970 Views)
Former Employee

Re: Lost Phone, Tracker?

No, there is a service called Mobile Me that lets you do that, but it's $99 per year and you had to have it before you lost the phone.

Message 2 of 6 (22,947 Views)
Professor

AT&T's cellular number tracker for up to $20 a month but adds your whole family cellulars. MobileMe has one for $99 a year which is $9 a month.
Message 3 of 6 (22,905 Views)
Master

If just misplaced and no one has found it and decided to keep it, and not stolen; then one of the mentioned  services might have been able to locate it.  MobileMe would have had to have been installed before it was lost.  FamilyMap is ATTs version but isn't designed to find lost stolen phones as much as to just locate family members.

But in all honestly all these are easy to circumvent.  All anyone has to do is remove the SIM card and wipe/restore the device and they cannot be tracked by either service.

Message 4 of 6 (22,840 Views)
Scholar

Planet-Ed wrote:

If just misplaced and no one has found it and decided to keep it, and not stolen; then one of the mentioned  services might have been able to locate it.  MobileMe would have had to have been installed before it was lost.  FamilyMap is ATTs version but isn't designed to find lost stolen phones as much as to just locate family members.

But in all honestly all these are easy to circumvent.  All anyone has to do is remove the SIM card and wipe/restore the device and they cannot be tracked by either service.

The part highlighted in red is the bottom line correct answer!!

ATT or Apple both HAVE the capability to track the phone based on the IMEI number assigned to the device but by refusing to implement said traceability, they actively participate in the criminal enterprise of phone theft.

i allready know i spend way too too much time watching law and order...so dont flame me for it.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6 (22,799 Views)
Expert

Elwood61 wrote:

Planet-Ed wrote:

The part highlighted in red is the bottom line correct answer!!

ATT or Apple both HAVE the capability to track the phone based on the IMEI number assigned to the device but by refusing to implement said traceability, they actively participate in the criminal enterprise of phone theft.

i allready know i spend way too too much time watching law and order...so dont flame me for it.Smiley Happy

Nice accusation there, sorry how are the "actively particpating in a criminal enterprise" when the are not required by ANY law to do it. Sorry phone "theft" is a misdemeanor unles you can prove you payed full retail price and it exceeds the current minimum requirement of being classified as a felony.

Message 6 of 6 (22,796 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.