Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 18, 2011
4:06:44 PM
View profile
Lose unlimited data when contract is up true??
Ok I was told when your contract is uP AT&T will take away your unlimited data? Is this true? I have unlimited data on a grandfathered I'n. So I wlll lose my unlimited data? I heard AT&T is doing this sending out notifications when your contact ends.
Ok I was told when your contract is uP AT&T will take away your unlimited data? Is this true? I have unlimited data on a grandfathered I'n. So I wlll lose my unlimited data? I heard AT&T is doing this sending out notifications when your contact ends.
hello!!!

Lose unlimited data when contract is up true??

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 4:34:40 PM
(0)
Professor

It is not true.  There are many that still have grandfathered unlimited data, like myself, outside of a contract.  There are also many that have renewed contracts and kept their grandfathered unlimited data.

Until AT&T comes out and states in writing that unlimited data is being eliminated, anyone that is grandfathered in can keep the plan until they choose to change data plans.

It is not true.  There are many that still have grandfathered unlimited data, like myself, outside of a contract.  There are also many that have renewed contracts and kept their grandfathered unlimited data.

Until AT&T comes out and states in writing that unlimited data is being eliminated, anyone that is grandfathered in can keep the plan until they choose to change data plans.

Re: Lose unlimited data when contract is up true??

2 of 14 (2,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 6:05:24 PM
(0)
Professor

so your out side your contract with Unlimited data? 

so your out side your contract with Unlimited data? 

hello!!!

3 of 14 (2,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 6:14:19 PM
(0)
Professor

Contracts have nothing to do with data unless it is for a data device (i.e. laptop connect card or MiFi), but yes, I am out of contract.

AT&T also provides this nice little sticky thread at the top of this forum (and others) that specifically states the unlimited data plan can be maintained even when upgrading/changing devices.

Contracts have nothing to do with data unless it is for a data device (i.e. laptop connect card or MiFi), but yes, I am out of contract.

AT&T also provides this nice little sticky thread at the top of this forum (and others) that specifically states the unlimited data plan can be maintained even when upgrading/changing devices.

4 of 14 (2,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 8:46:45 PM
(0)
Professor

cool thanks for the link and info. some one kept telling me there friend got a notice from AT&T about losing his  unlimited data due to end of  contract!!   

i did not think it was true..

cool thanks for the link and info. some one kept telling me there friend got a notice from AT&T about losing his  unlimited data due to end of  contract!!   

i did not think it was true..

hello!!!

5 of 14 (2,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 7:04:27 AM
(0)
Professor

I have heard that if you upgrade to a 4G phone (4G speed, not 4G iPhone), you will be required to go to tiered data services.  Unlimited data is for 3G and under only.

I have heard that if you upgrade to a 4G phone (4G speed, not 4G iPhone), you will be required to go to tiered data services.  Unlimited data is for 3G and under only.

6 of 14 (2,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 8:27:57 AM
(0)
Guru

FredW wrote:

So far that's only a rumor, though it would be the most convenient time and method for AT&T to "kill off" unlimmited data plans.

I haven't seen any announcement on that, but I'm sure it will be coming shortly.

FredW wrote:

So far that's only a rumor, though it would be the most convenient time and method for AT&T to "kill off" unlimmited data plans.

I haven't seen any announcement on that, but I'm sure it will be coming shortly.

7 of 14 (2,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2011 11:23:22 AM
(0)
Contributor
I've got the family talk [3 phone lines] and the iPhone I use is 3GS unlimited data. One of my other phone line was eligible for the 4G upgrade but I decided to stay w/ my 3G unlimited data and let my nephew (who's on my family talk plan) take advantage of the new iphone upgrade last month [unlimited data wasn't an option.] ...So unless the new iPhones can teleport me places or tell the future,I'm going to keep my 3Gs w/ Unlimited Data for as long as I can [which I'm sure ultimately i'll get squeezed out through attrition].
I've got the family talk [3 phone lines] and the iPhone I use is 3GS unlimited data. One of my other phone line was eligible for the 4G upgrade but I decided to stay w/ my 3G unlimited data and let my nephew (who's on my family talk plan) take advantage of the new iphone upgrade last month [unlimited data wasn't an option.] ...So unless the new iPhones can teleport me places or tell the future,I'm going to keep my 3Gs w/ Unlimited Data for as long as I can [which I'm sure ultimately i'll get squeezed out through attrition].
SALGON

8 of 14 (2,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2011 8:50:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You do realize that the iPhone 4 is a 3G phone, right?

You do realize that the iPhone 4 is a 3G phone, right?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 14 (2,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 2:49:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
I was told that I would lose my grandfathering of unlimited data plan if I wanted to use the WiFi hot spot feature on my iPhone 4.... They will not add the feature to the unlimited data plane... I may be going to a different carrier once my contract expires if they want to mistreat a loyal customer....
I was told that I would lose my grandfathering of unlimited data plan if I wanted to use the WiFi hot spot feature on my iPhone 4.... They will not add the feature to the unlimited data plane... I may be going to a different carrier once my contract expires if they want to mistreat a loyal customer....

10 of 14 (2,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 4:15:49 PM
(0)
Master

dwmitchell61 wrote:

This is a true statement from ATT. All the carriers do this so you can leave for another carrier but you will not find any difference in their policies.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

dwmitchell61 wrote:

This is a true statement from ATT. All the carriers do this so you can leave for another carrier but you will not find any difference in their policies.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

11 of 14 (1,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 8:38:47 PM
(0)
Teacher
To add tethering is to change data plans. AT&T has announced that those with unlimited dataplans that use excessive data (current talk is >6Gb month) will see download speed reduction much like Comcast.
To add tethering is to change data plans. AT&T has announced that those with unlimited dataplans that use excessive data (current talk is >6Gb month) will see download speed reduction much like Comcast.

12 of 14 (1,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 11:27:34 PM
(0)
Guru

No, you'll be able to retain your data plan as long as you do not switch carriers or suspend service, or change data plans yourself. You can't tether with the unlimited data plan, I'm sorry.

No, you'll be able to retain your data plan as long as you do not switch carriers or suspend service, or change data plans yourself. You can't tether with the unlimited data plan, I'm sorry.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

13 of 14 (1,771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2011 4:51:12 PM
(0)
Guru

FredW wrote:

Nope. They just have to change the type of data from an iphone  unlimited data plan to smartphone unlimited. Done.

FredW wrote:

Nope. They just have to change the type of data from an iphone  unlimited data plan to smartphone unlimited. Done.

14 of 14 (1,722 Views)