Helpful Links

Looking for suggestions for a dumbphone with good music capability

Contributor

Looking for suggestions for a dumbphone with good music capability

To keep it short, my iPod Nano (4th generation) crapped out on me fairly recently, and I noticed that I was due for an upgrade for my phone, so I got to wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone and save myself some pocket space in the process.

Here's the thing, though:  I don't want a smartphone, which is why I've ruled out Androids and the iPhone and such.  I have no real interest in adding a data plan when I know full well I won't end up using it pretty much ever (I have a laptop for a reason).  Call me thrifty, but I just don't find it worthwhile.  But it always seems like I have to make the choice: either a dumb phone whose music capability is, well, crap,  or a smart phone with what I want and about a billion things I DON'T want.

So really what I'm asking is, does anyone have any solid recommendations for a phone that can replace an ipod without really having all the ridiculous extras that I don't want in a smart phone, and has a battery life that isn't abyssmal?  Given the choices I would prefer a standard headphone jack and a querty keyboard, but those are really secondary considerations.

Message 1 of 4
Master

Re: Looking for suggestions for a dumbphone with good music capability

Great idea to combine the two together.

Some choices I can offer are the currently offered:
HTC Freestyle
or the discontinued Samsung Mythic. I have had my Mythic for a while and it wasn't a bad little phone for music. It even had flash for the camera.

Those are, really, the only choices I would pick. I'm not sure if there are any more currently offered feature phones out there that sport 3.5mm headphone jacks. Since upgrading, I now have a smartphone that has replaced my iPod which plays great music and I can get free music from the Android Market. It's a win-win-situation for me.

Feel free to share what you think. I hope this helped you some.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 4
Professor

Pay attention to formats.  The ipods, iphones, ect. tend to use an Apple specific format.  Some phone MP3 players can use the format, some can't.  It would be easier if it could.  If not, there are programs available, probably for free, that can convert the formats.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Master

Personally I would check out some of the non-branded feature phones (particularly from Nokia and SE, but I'm just more familiar with those) if you are willing to purchase on a non-subsidized basis in order to get the specific features that you really want in a device. Smiley Happy

At&t (probably most carriers) seem to be steering users toward smartphones in terms of their device lineup - obviously because they charge an additional monthly data fee just for the user having chosen a smartphone.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support