Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 19, 2012
5:30:06 AM
View profile
Limited data plan

I have three iPhones with AT&T. I am required to have a data plan with every iPhone. I have one unlimited and other two have the minimum 200MB.  My family and I try very hard to manage our internet usage so that we do not go over our 200MB quota. However, too many times near the end of the billing cycle we get a warning that we are about to exceed our quota. We immediately turn off all 3G access on the iPhone but we still get zapped another $15 for exceeding the quota.

I have contacted AT&T and they said that the phone uses data even when you turn off Internet access and that is why I am being charged.  I asked for ways to block or limit data usage so that I wouldn’t exceed my quota but they said it wasn’t possible.

It is unreasonable that they do not give you any means to prevent from going over the quota but still manage to quickly zap you $15 when you do. They say we give you the warning so that you can adjust your plan and buy more data.  I told them that although we rely so much on our smart phones but we had limited resources and we couldn’t afford to continue to be charged extra every other month.  They said their contract allowed them to do so even though there wasn’t any way for the consumer to CAP or STOP data usage on the phone.

Again, I feel it is ludicrous that they are allowed to charge you for something you do not need, can’t afford, and you can’t get it to stop

I have three iPhones with AT&T. I am required to have a data plan with every iPhone. I have one unlimited and other two have the minimum 200MB.  My family and I try very hard to manage our internet usage so that we do not go over our 200MB quota. However, too many times near the end of the billing cycle we get a warning that we are about to exceed our quota. We immediately turn off all 3G access on the iPhone but we still get zapped another $15 for exceeding the quota.

I have contacted AT&T and they said that the phone uses data even when you turn off Internet access and that is why I am being charged.  I asked for ways to block or limit data usage so that I wouldn’t exceed my quota but they said it wasn’t possible.

It is unreasonable that they do not give you any means to prevent from going over the quota but still manage to quickly zap you $15 when you do. They say we give you the warning so that you can adjust your plan and buy more data.  I told them that although we rely so much on our smart phones but we had limited resources and we couldn’t afford to continue to be charged extra every other month.  They said their contract allowed them to do so even though there wasn’t any way for the consumer to CAP or STOP data usage on the phone.

Again, I feel it is ludicrous that they are allowed to charge you for something you do not need, can’t afford, and you can’t get it to stop

Limited data plan

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 2:40:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

3g is just the speed and has nothing to do  with data.  Go inot iphone settings, network and turn off "cellular data".  That is the data and then only wifi will be used.  Or use it only to make phone calls.  If you need data take  out the sim card and then use the wifi.  It works on my dads 3g.  No sim card inserted just gives a messgae saying no siim c ard inserted.  After I click ok it works fine.  They can't charge you if they don't know who to charge to.  The sim card has all the info.  So no sim card and they can't verify who you are.  So nowhere to bill to.

3g is just the speed and has nothing to do  with data.  Go inot iphone settings, network and turn off "cellular data".  That is the data and then only wifi will be used.  Or use it only to make phone calls.  If you need data take  out the sim card and then use the wifi.  It works on my dads 3g.  No sim card inserted just gives a messgae saying no siim c ard inserted.  After I click ok it works fine.  They can't charge you if they don't know who to charge to.  The sim card has all the info.  So no sim card and they can't verify who you are.  So nowhere to bill to.

Re: Limited data plan

2 of 14 (1,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 6:40:52 PM
(0)
Professor
Taking out the SIM card prevents your phone from connecting to AT&Ts network for voice or data. They won't charge you for using data simply because you aren't using their network in any way, not because you're "hiding" from them.
Taking out the SIM card prevents your phone from connecting to AT&Ts network for voice or data. They won't charge you for using data simply because you aren't using their network in any way, not because you're "hiding" from them.

3 of 14 (1,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 7:19:23 PM
(0)
Guru
If you can't afford it you shouldn't have a smart phone and If you don't need it why are you using so much of something you don't need?
If you can't afford it you shouldn't have a smart phone and If you don't need it why are you using so much of something you don't need?

4 of 14 (1,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 4:38:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

The usual banter aside, t/s has a pretty good point. I can put a complete block on my messages and I can put an internet  block on the dumb phones on my account, why is the same data block not allowed on smartphones. The answer to 'buy more data' is a silly response.

If the iPhone uses a set amount of data each month that is impossible to stop or control, AT&T should not charge for that. When AT&T sends mandatory messages, it does not count against my monthly messaging plan, why should mandatory data? Again, if the user has the option to opt out of this automatic data transfer, then we could more effectively manage our data usage. How am I sure that these mandatory data transfers are really mandatory? I am not able to stop them and see exactly what would happen to the user experience with the phone.

If I'm missing something, please explain how this policy makes sense. As always, I'm not saying that AT&T can't do it. I'm asking how it makes any sense.

The usual banter aside, t/s has a pretty good point. I can put a complete block on my messages and I can put an internet  block on the dumb phones on my account, why is the same data block not allowed on smartphones. The answer to 'buy more data' is a silly response.

If the iPhone uses a set amount of data each month that is impossible to stop or control, AT&T should not charge for that. When AT&T sends mandatory messages, it does not count against my monthly messaging plan, why should mandatory data? Again, if the user has the option to opt out of this automatic data transfer, then we could more effectively manage our data usage. How am I sure that these mandatory data transfers are really mandatory? I am not able to stop them and see exactly what would happen to the user experience with the phone.

If I'm missing something, please explain how this policy makes sense. As always, I'm not saying that AT&T can't do it. I'm asking how it makes any sense.

5 of 14 (1,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 6:56:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If you are regularly going over 200MB and paying $30 a month, why not pay $30 a month and get 3GB of data?

If you are regularly going over 200MB and paying $30 a month, why not pay $30 a month and get 3GB of data?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 14 (1,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 6:59:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

browski wrote:

It is not impossible to control, it's just somewhat more difficult to control. This in itself is probably legally sufficient. After all, simply powering off the device stops all data. As does disabling cellular data (not "3g")

The user CHOOSES to enable push, enable email, use apps that consume data, enable error reporting, and most importantly of all, to subscribe to cellular service in the first place.

browski wrote:

It is not impossible to control, it's just somewhat more difficult to control. This in itself is probably legally sufficient. After all, simply powering off the device stops all data. As does disabling cellular data (not "3g")

The user CHOOSES to enable push, enable email, use apps that consume data, enable error reporting, and most importantly of all, to subscribe to cellular service in the first place.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (1,931 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 2:02:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

Wow. So the answer to this is just don't use the phone.
I'll say again, AT&T doesn't charge for mandatory texts because there is no way to opt out of them. You can trust me on that, I have tried or if your skepticism gets the best of you, you can try it for yourself. The data is exactly the same principle. There is no way to opt out of the 'phantom usage', as it has been called, that occurs overnight. A company should not be able to force people to use a portion of their monthly service allotment for a company required service.

johninsj wrote:

I'll say again, AT&T doesn't charge for mandatory texts because there is no way to opt out of them. You can trust me on that, I have tried or if your skepticism gets the best of you, you can try it for yourself. The data is exactly the same principle. There is no way to opt out of the 'phantom usage', as it has been called, that occurs overnight. A company should not be able to force people to use a portion of their monthly service allotment for a company required service.

8 of 14 (1,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 6:38:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

browski wrote:

johninsj wrote:

No, the answer is stop expecting someone else to protect you from yourself.

If you need more than 200MB, get it. I am on the 2GB plan, it's plenty enough because all you need to remember is "don't watch Netflix over 3G"

200MB is there for people who essentially don't do anything with their phone over 3G.

There is NO phantom usage. It's a nice myth on the internet, but it's been beat to death.

browski wrote:

johninsj wrote:

No, the answer is stop expecting someone else to protect you from yourself.

If you need more than 200MB, get it. I am on the 2GB plan, it's plenty enough because all you need to remember is "don't watch Netflix over 3G"

200MB is there for people who essentially don't do anything with their phone over 3G.

There is NO phantom usage. It's a nice myth on the internet, but it's been beat to death.

9 of 14 (1,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 7:22:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

To stop using all cellular data, you can place your iPhone in to "airplane mode".  Once in this mode, you can manually enable wifi which will allow your iPhone to communicate over wifi networks, which do not use your AT&T data plan.  In fact, you can still use the AT&T hotspots for free when in this mode...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

To stop using all cellular data, you can place your iPhone in to "airplane mode".  Once in this mode, you can manually enable wifi which will allow your iPhone to communicate over wifi networks, which do not use your AT&T data plan.  In fact, you can still use the AT&T hotspots for free when in this mode...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

10 of 14 (1,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 7:29:55 PM
(0)
Professor

GeekBoy wrote:

Putting the phone in airplane mode also disables the phone part. making your phone essentially an iPod touch.  All you need to do is turn off cellular data.  That stops all network data use, but keeps the phone and wifi active.

GeekBoy wrote:

Putting the phone in airplane mode also disables the phone part. making your phone essentially an iPod touch.  All you need to do is turn off cellular data.  That stops all network data use, but keeps the phone and wifi active.

11 of 14 (1,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 8:25:13 PM
(0)
Former Employee

AT&T doesn't charge for their text because they're their texts but AT&T doesn't generate any data usage on someone's phone so it counts as any other data, either user generates it or their phone or apps or whatever. There is no such thing as "phantom data", it's just reporting for any usage throughout the day takes place at night.

AT&T doesn't charge for their text because they're their texts but AT&T doesn't generate any data usage on someone's phone so it counts as any other data, either user generates it or their phone or apps or whatever. There is no such thing as "phantom data", it's just reporting for any usage throughout the day takes place at night.

12 of 14 (1,708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 9:11:06 AM
(0)
Guru

Facci wrote:

You know...most times I might have considered such a comment somewhat uncalled for but in this case I'm willing to make an exception--OP pretty much dug himself into a hole with his "something you do not need, can't afford" comment--LOL!!!

Facci wrote:

You know...most times I might have considered such a comment somewhat uncalled for but in this case I'm willing to make an exception--OP pretty much dug himself into a hole with his "something you do not need, can't afford" comment--LOL!!!

13 of 14 (1,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 9:33:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The simple solution to get it to stop is to call today and raise those $15 data plans to the $25/2GB data plans.  You pay $10 more each month but you get about 10x the data volume, and you do;t have to worry about curbing your usage or goign over (unless you go way overboard).  If you are paying the extra $15 each month, then only paying $10 more each month is a 33% cost savings to you in overage charges.  It just means you have to give up 2 starbucks coffees a month to pay the differences.

I've been on a tight budget before, and I prioritized what was imprtant to me.  There were many things I wanted that I had to do without, and there were some things I wanted bad enough that I was willing to do without something else to keep.  Perhaps it's time for those one the minmum data plans to gve up a little and pay the differences to you when they go over their cap or to increase their data limits.  Let them learn that there are consequences for their actions before they get credit cards and ruin their life by running up bills that they can't afford to pay.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

The simple solution to get it to stop is to call today and raise those $15 data plans to the $25/2GB data plans.  You pay $10 more each month but you get about 10x the data volume, and you do;t have to worry about curbing your usage or goign over (unless you go way overboard).  If you are paying the extra $15 each month, then only paying $10 more each month is a 33% cost savings to you in overage charges.  It just means you have to give up 2 starbucks coffees a month to pay the differences.

I've been on a tight budget before, and I prioritized what was imprtant to me.  There were many things I wanted that I had to do without, and there were some things I wanted bad enough that I was willing to do without something else to keep.  Perhaps it's time for those one the minmum data plans to gve up a little and pay the differences to you when they go over their cap or to increase their data limits.  Let them learn that there are consequences for their actions before they get credit cards and ruin their life by running up bills that they can't afford to pay.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

14 of 14 (1,689 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments