Helpful Links

Limited Variety of Devices - New Lineup Coming Soon?

Master

Limited Variety of Devices - New Lineup Coming Soon?

It seems to me that AT&T seems to be probably the slowest out of the main carriers for new device releases. Sure, they have a few that I like, but I think that they should get something new in the next few months. Just to keep a variety of choices. I am aware of the three new "4G" Android devices coming out later on this year, but that still doesn't seem like quite enough. I just finished reading through the newspaper ads and found that Verizon is STILL rolling out new devices, mainly Android's. They may even possibly get a CDMA iPhone very soon, but that defeats the purpose of being able to talk/text/surf simultaneously. AT&T should find a way to somehow get some cool new devices in their lineup, besides the "4G" phones mentioned. I know that there's the Motorola Flipout/Flipside/Bravo out there, too, but don'tcha think a little more could be added to the party fairly soon...? The only ones I am liking right now are the Captivate and the HTC Surround a little bit. Maybe this topic could change my decision.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 1 of 8
Scholar

Re: Limited Variety of Devices - New Lineup Coming Soon?

You are being far too kind. ATT's smartphone lineup is pathetic;  Unless you happen to be an iphone fan.

Message 2 of 8

If your definition of cool is limited to smartphones, this isn't what you're looking for.  Still, this phone is interesting in a couple of ways.  It's the HTC Freestyle: http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/01/08/att-htc-freestyle-hands-on-at-ces-2011/

Ignore the article's labeling of this as a smartphone.  According to AT&T's own press release (the same one that announces the 4G smartphones), it's a QMD.  That in itself is unusual.  When has HTC made a non-smartphone?  Either HTC is taking a new direction to broaden its consumer base, or this should be one heck of a QMD.

The other noteworthy aspect of this phone is that it will be AT&T's first QMD on a standard OS called Brew Mobile Platform, rather than on OSes that vary by manufacturer and sometimes by device.  Apparently, every new AT&T QMD is supposed to run on Brew MP.

The release seems to be set for February.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 8
Scholar

Again, these are 'coming soon,' but we're gonna get the Acer Liquid Metal (or a variation of it), Xperia Arc (most likely) and the Dell Venue (unlocked through Dell) in addition to the 3 4G phones announced. Those three all look pretty decent. No release dates yet, though. All Android.

Message 4 of 8
Master

erichamion wrote:

If your definition of cool is limited to smartphones, this isn't what you're looking for.  Still, this phone is interesting in a couple of ways.  It's the HTC Freestyle: http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/01/08/att-htc-freestyle-hands-on-at-ces-2011/

Ignore the article's labeling of this as a smartphone.  According to AT&T's own press release (the same one that announces the 4G smartphones), it's a QMD.  That in itself is unusual.  When has HTC made a non-smartphone?  Either HTC is taking a new direction to broaden its consumer base, or this should be one heck of a QMD.

The other noteworthy aspect of this phone is that it will be AT&T's first QMD on a standard OS called Brew Mobile Platform, rather than on OSes that vary by manufacturer and sometimes by device.  Apparently, every new AT&T QMD is supposed to run on Brew MP.

The release seems to be set for February.

That is interesting - since even the 3125 (?) back in the day required a smartphone data plan, yet was a flip with no physical keyboard.  (lol.  Yes, I know - I am usually arguing the other "Nokia" side of the coin with you. Smiley Wink )  Thanks for the post! 

Hopefully one of the additional five will use a physical keyboard.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 8
Master

cwrig wrote:

You are being far too kind. ATT's smartphone lineup is pathetic;  Unless you happen to be an iphone fan.

I do like all variations of the iPhone, and yes, I am a fan. I'm just not into a contract or data plan, because I plan to use the new device(s) available on prepaid. Right now, it looks like the Captivate, but I plan to keep my Mythic another year or until it stops working.

Message 6 of 8
Master

erichamion wrote:

The "Freestyle" looks pretty cool, but the screen on it isn't very large. It's actually a little bit smaller than what I have right now. The buttons on the bottom of the phone are a little weird-looking, also... However, I do like the back of the phone and the position of the camera. That new OS looks pretty interesting... But with every new operating system, there will probably be a few bugs/issues to sort out. I wonder what made HTC make the decision for a new system.

Message 7 of 8
Professor

Yes, hopefully some good devices are on their way for ATT customers. We've been patient and waited thru the entire Iphone Hype, even endured the data grid overload, the works!  Would be nice to finally see some variety and choices that makes everyone happy.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support