Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

Scholar

Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

I would like to propose that anytime a clown wants their iPhone unlocked and posts a whine, demand, grouse, gritch about it we just ignore the post. If they didn't get a response, I guarantee that this asinine posting would stop, or at least slow down.

850 Views
Message 1 of 37
Former Employee

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

"Third, I'm not worried about a secondary market and I don't believe ATT cares either. Perhaps I wasn't clear but what I meant was, and again this is just my opinion, the secondary market would be in competition with Apple, hence they have a reason for not wanting to see locked iphones get unlocked. You are free to disagree if you want because once again, this is just my opinion."

 

Makes sense to me.


 

Message 16 of 37
Teacher

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

About the competition with apple, good point but still it is apple who is selling the unlocked iPhones. For apple, this secondary market (way bigger than a local us secondary market) already exists.

If I remember correctly, the unlocked phones started around the 3GS and not the 3G, Hance several = almost 2.

Sorry for the name misspelling or any other spelling error, if this conversation was in Hebrew, it would be way easier for me but I believe that it would be an obstacle for you. I do not know you but I bet that the fact that I am close to fluent in both languages is impressive enough. This is how israeli accent reads like :-)
Message 17 of 37
Scholar

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


ymeiner wrote:
About the competition with apple, good point but still it is apple who is selling the unlocked iPhones. For apple, this secondary market (way bigger than a local us secondary market) already exists.

If I remember correctly, the unlocked phones started around the 3GS and not the 3G, Hance several = almost 2.

Sorry for the name misspelling or any other spelling error, if this conversation was in Hebrew, it would be way easier for me but I believe that it would be an obstacle for you. I do not know you but I bet that the fact that I am close to fluent in both languages is impressive enough. This is how israeli accent reads like :-)

Isn't it nice you blow your own trumpet. Being fluent in two languages may be impressive for you, but not me. Let's just end it here. I would rather not continue this nonsense. Your ego is much too big for me. I guess your fluency in two languages is much more impressive than my PH.D. in English Literature.

PS While I am not fluent in Hebrew, I do have some familiarity with it.

Message 18 of 37
Contributor

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!
Message 19 of 37
Master

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


sas616 wrote:
So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!


Not really, once it has served its useful life for you, it serves well as an iPod touch, sell to to someone else and make some money or better yet, donate it to a local charity that helps battered women who can benefit by having phone for emergencies and get the tax benefit for the donation. (Consult with your own tax advisor as your situation and ability to take advantage of a deduction will vary.)

 

 

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 20 of 37
ACE - Master

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


sas616 wrote:
So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!

Regretfully, they probably won't end-up in a US landfill either.  Most stuff like this that is considered "hazardous waste" is shipped overseas and is dumped in some other country's landfill.


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 37
Expert

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


sas616 wrote:
So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!


Your choice - the majority of people don;t really care if the phone is locked to ATT or in the case of the cdma version verizon, There will always be a market for the locked phones, not everyone is willing to pay full retail for for the unlocked version. 199 / 299 is alot easier on the pocket book then 650 / 750.  Only phone I have every paid over subsidized was for teh iridium I care when outside the US and in areas that have poor or non-existent service

Message 22 of 37
Expert

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


GeekBoy wrote:

sas616 wrote:
So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!

Regretfully, they probably won't end-up in a US landfill either.  Most stuff like this that is considered "hazardous waste" is shipped overseas and is dumped in some other country's landfill.


/rofl I doubt you will put it in a landfill - if you are that serious about it - donate it to a abused shelter or for deployed military for communications with their family, send 20 to 30 of them a year to domestic violence abuse shelters for them to use

Message 23 of 37
Teacher

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

Wing rider, you are so wrong that it is amazing, the majority of people buy the iPhones despite the lock. It is not that they do not care, it is more likely because of poor knowldage or a meter of the better bad choice. Reality is that people love iPhones and buy it despite the fact that AT&T is part of the deal. A lot of them (aspacialy people who bought it to use it abroad) will jailbreak and unlock the phone. They wouldn't have done it if there was a way to unlock it in a more 'civilized' way.

Stop telling yourself stories about masses of stupid people that did not do the right choice, it is more like masses of people who have a way to unlock the phone and think that a better solution could and should come from AT&T. there are three ways to unlock your phone today, non of them is coming from AT&T. I do not want to start rumors here but I do know for a fact that apple is telling it's customers to go and look for an unlock solution in the web because AT&T would not give one.

I know it would be really hard for you to change your mind but just stop for a sec and open yourself to reality.

Also, I already asked you but it would be nice to remind you that some people in this world are not in the same economic condition as you are so before you are sending people to buy a phone or donate it, think about ways that they can use what they have by themselves. Your remarks are on the border of being elithistic (I hope I wrote it correctly) and it is quite rude.
Message 24 of 37
Teacher

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


youngjm wrote:

sas616 wrote:
So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!


Not really, once it has served its useful life for you, it serves well as an iPod touch, sell to to someone else and make some money or better yet, donate it to a local charity that helps battered women who can benefit by having phone for emergencies and get the tax benefit for the donation. (Consult with your own tax advisor as your situation and ability to take advantage of a deduction will vary.)

 

 



Giving the old locked AT&T iPhone to a charity is doing them a great dis-service.

.

AT&T refuses to put PAYG service on an iPhone (Pay As You Go)

.

They want a 2-year contract with a data plan

.

In which case it's better to just pay the extra $50 and get a new iPhone 3GS.

.

But then they would still be stuck with a monthly data charges.

.

If it were unlocked, the charity could use it for PAYG servce.

.

Steve

.

Message 25 of 37
Expert

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


swSteve wrote:

youngjm wrote:

sas616 wrote:
So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!


Not really, once it has served its useful life for you, it serves well as an iPod touch, sell to to someone else and make some money or better yet, donate it to a local charity that helps battered women who can benefit by having phone for emergencies and get the tax benefit for the donation. (Consult with your own tax advisor as your situation and ability to take advantage of a deduction will vary.)

 

 



Giving the old locked AT&T iPhone to a charity is doing them a great dis-service.

.

AT&T refuses to put PAYG service on an iPhone (Pay As You Go)

.

They want a 2-year contract with a data plan

.

In which case it's better to just pay the extra $50 and get a new iPhone 3GS.

.

But then they would still be stuck with a monthly data charges.

.

If it were unlocked, the charity could use it for PAYG servce.

.

Steve

.



never donated any cell phones to specific style charities have you? They gladly take the iphones and what ever other phone  that we take off the business contract from both verizon, Sprint and att. If they don't utilize them, they will sell them on ebay and in silent auctions to help raise needed finds to continue their work.

Message 26 of 37
Teacher

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


wingrider01 wrote:


never donated any cell phones to specific style charities have you? They gladly take the iphones and what ever other phone  that we take off the business contract from both verizon, Sprint and att. If they don't utilize them, they will sell them on ebay and in silent auctions to help raise needed finds to continue their work.


Your post failed to mention that the charity could NOT use the phone as a phone.

except if calling 911.

,

Carefully crafted post to avoid making ATT look bad.

,

Steve

 

 

Message 27 of 37
Professor

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


swSteve wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:


never donated any cell phones to specific style charities have you? They gladly take the iphones and what ever other phone  that we take off the business contract from both verizon, Sprint and att. If they don't utilize them, they will sell them on ebay and in silent auctions to help raise needed finds to continue their work.


Your post failed to mention that the charity could NOT use the phone as a phone.

except if calling 911.

,

Carefully crafted post to avoid making ATT look bad.

,

Steve

 

 


What reality do you exist in????? Certainly not the same one that the rest of us on this forum exist in.

One minute you are griping and complaining that you want your device unlocked so you can use it with any carrier, the next you're stating that phones cannot be used once out of contract.

 

[Please be courteous]

Message 28 of 37
Master

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

I am really sorry I brought a great cause into this mess of a discussion. I think at this point, the horse has died.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 29 of 37
Teacher

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos


youngjm wrote:
I am really sorry I brought a great cause into this mess of a discussion. I think at this point, the horse has died.

 

I could just see you handing over an iPhone 2G to your "great cause".

.

YG: Here's an iPhone 2G you can use to make emergency calls.

.

Charity: Great! What about regular calls?

.

YG: You need to buy a 2 year contract with an expensive data plan.

.

Charity: But we can't afford that so we'll just get a cheap PAYG plan from T-mobile.

.

YG: You can't because it's locked to AT&T. Sell it on eBay.

.

Charity: It's only worth $30 to $100 on eBay. with all the fees we get very little for the effort.

Charity: It would be worth much more and we could use it if it was unlocked.

.

YG: complainer.

.

 

Message 30 of 37
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support