Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 16, 2011
9:16:17 PM
View profile
Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

I would like to propose that anytime a clown wants their iPhone unlocked and posts a whine, demand, grouse, gritch about it we just ignore the post. If they didn't get a response, I guarantee that this asinine posting would stop, or at least slow down.

I would like to propose that anytime a clown wants their iPhone unlocked and posts a whine, demand, grouse, gritch about it we just ignore the post. If they didn't get a response, I guarantee that this asinine posting would stop, or at least slow down.

Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

36 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(36)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 9:50:26 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ymeiner on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:51:20 PM
Well, that is a great idea! we will continue to feed this forum (that is about iPhone + AT&T) with the request and you can continue to ignore, I will sit at my beautiful apartment in Brooklyn and count till 500 different complains about the unlock. When it will get to this number, I will report about it in every blog I can think of. How about that. Every 100 complains can be a new post! How about them apples?

It is not about ego, it's about customers rights and the fact that AT&T is wrong with its policy.

As long as there is a lock on the us iPhones there will be people to complain about it because it's just wrong. You want to ignore us? Do it. This way we will not have to deal with the ignorant answers.
Well, that is a great idea! we will continue to feed this forum (that is about iPhone + AT&T) with the request and you can continue to ignore, I will sit at my beautiful apartment in Brooklyn and count till 500 different complains about the unlock. When it will get to this number, I will report about it in every blog I can think of. How about that. Every 100 complains can be a new post! How about them apples?

It is not about ego, it's about customers rights and the fact that AT&T is wrong with its policy.

As long as there is a lock on the us iPhones there will be people to complain about it because it's just wrong. You want to ignore us? Do it. This way we will not have to deal with the ignorant answers.

Re: Let's Stop Feeding Their Egos

[ Edited ]
2 of 37 (687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 3:35:16 AM
(0)
Expert

ymeiner wrote:

No, it is not about "customer rights" nor is it about the "fact that ATT is wrong with its policy" - you feel you have the god given right to demand and recieve anything you want - it don;t work that way in the real business world This is not a issue with the company it is a disagreement with your outlook, has nothing to do with "customer rights". The policy is documented - on paper, electronicly AND on the box of every Iphone sold by ATT, if you did not read it - that is your problem not anyone elses.

ymeiner wrote:

No, it is not about "customer rights" nor is it about the "fact that ATT is wrong with its policy" - you feel you have the god given right to demand and recieve anything you want - it don;t work that way in the real business world This is not a issue with the company it is a disagreement with your outlook, has nothing to do with "customer rights". The policy is documented - on paper, electronicly AND on the box of every Iphone sold by ATT, if you did not read it - that is your problem not anyone elses.

3 of 37 (668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 6:27:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

"The policy is documented - on paper, electronicly AND on the box of every Iphone sold by ATT"

This is patently false information. There is no such policy on the box of Iphone. Show us some verifiable proof please.

"The policy is documented - on paper, electronicly AND on the box of every Iphone sold by ATT"

This is patently false information. There is no such policy on the box of Iphone. Show us some verifiable proof please.

4 of 37 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 6:49:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by iPhone Warrior on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:50:01 AM

Try here. Read point #2 in the fine print at the bottom. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTQzMjI

In part is says:

Requires new two-year wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. The iPhone model you purchase is configured to work ONLY with the network technology of either AT&T or Verizon Wireless, as specified, but not both. 

Try here. Read point #2 in the fine print at the bottom. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTQzMjI

In part is says:

Requires new two-year wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. The iPhone model you purchase is configured to work ONLY with the network technology of either AT&T or Verizon Wireless, as specified, but not both. 

[ Edited ]
5 of 37 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 7:21:35 AM
(0)
Teacher
All that fineprint says is that the GSM and CDMA versions of phones are different; one device cannot support both "network technologies" simultaneously. It is rather far-fetched imho to interpret this as a life long commitment to stay locked to a carrier.
All that fineprint says is that the GSM and CDMA versions of phones are different; one device cannot support both "network technologies" simultaneously. It is rather far-fetched imho to interpret this as a life long commitment to stay locked to a carrier.

6 of 37 (623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 8:23:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

Try Here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=61097&cv=820#fbid=WpP6Qut5eEB

What is the unlock code for my iPhone?

iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe. Stay connected while traveling to over 215 countries, plus get discounted rates in over 80 of those countries when you sign up for AT&T World Traveler

Either way. Venting on this board will do no good. You need to lobby state and federal law makers to have this change like they do in other country's.

Try Here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=61097&cv=820#fbid=WpP6Qut5eEB

What is the unlock code for my iPhone?

iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe. Stay connected while traveling to over 215 countries, plus get discounted rates in over 80 of those countries when you sign up for AT&T World Traveler

Either way. Venting on this board will do no good. You need to lobby state and federal law makers to have this change like they do in other country's.

7 of 37 (609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 8:38:47 AM
(0)
Former Employee

"This is patently false information. There is no such policy on the box of Iphone. Show us some verifiable proof please."

The first 3 lines of the "fine print" area on the box, 3GS and iPhone 4... and I quote:

"1. Service plan with AT&T required for cellular network capabilities. Credit check required; must be 18 or older. Wireless service is solely provided by and the responsibility of AT&T. iPhone is configured to work only with wireless services of AT&T."

"This is patently false information. There is no such policy on the box of Iphone. Show us some verifiable proof please."

The first 3 lines of the "fine print" area on the box, 3GS and iPhone 4... and I quote:

"1. Service plan with AT&T required for cellular network capabilities. Credit check required; must be 18 or older. Wireless service is solely provided by and the responsibility of AT&T. iPhone is configured to work only with wireless services of AT&T."

8 of 37 (606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 9:11:36 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Chris_ForumsMod on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:55:01 PM

Policy is just policy. It can be written electronically, on paper, on the iPhone box, and on the top of the door of the AT&T headquarters but it is just a policy. Written by people, can be changed by people.

Please do not lecture me about business because I might be able to teach you a thing or two. When AT&T or apple want to change there terms of rights or when AT&T wants to change it's contract with it's customers, they do it without worrying about the policy.

It is all a meter of interests and what I hope will happen at the end that AT&T will understand that it's best interest is to drop this part of it's policy.

You know, I come from another country where the government has some power to properly regulate companies and in this way to make sure that no company is forcing itself into other company's success. After all, apple is the one who brought the iPhone and not AT&T. AT&T is doing everything it can to leach on apples success by forcing (do not tell me it did not force because for the first two and a half years, there was no other choice) the customers to use it's services. This is wrong. This is not positive behavior. This is putting a toll booth in the enterance to central park. AT&T is the expert of putting gates in front of public domains, data packages and tethering is another good example.

I love my iPhone, I want it to be GSM, I Bought my first iPhone 3 years ago when there was no other choice but AT&T and my second one when iPhone 4 came out, when I still did not have any other choice. I do not have the money to buy myself a brand new unlocked phone and three months before a new iPhone comes out, I would not suggest anybody to buy a new phone.

This is the AT&T forum. I hope they opened this forum so customers can raise issues that bother them. I hope that somebody in AT&T is reading this comments and I definetely hope (and as I can see in the forum history) that I am not the only one who believe that AT&T policy is wrong, should be changed and can be changed.
{be courteous}

Policy is just policy. It can be written electronically, on paper, on the iPhone box, and on the top of the door of the AT&T headquarters but it is just a policy. Written by people, can be changed by people.

Please do not lecture me about business because I might be able to teach you a thing or two. When AT&T or apple want to change there terms of rights or when AT&T wants to change it's contract with it's customers, they do it without worrying about the policy.

It is all a meter of interests and what I hope will happen at the end that AT&T will understand that it's best interest is to drop this part of it's policy.

You know, I come from another country where the government has some power to properly regulate companies and in this way to make sure that no company is forcing itself into other company's success. After all, apple is the one who brought the iPhone and not AT&T. AT&T is doing everything it can to leach on apples success by forcing (do not tell me it did not force because for the first two and a half years, there was no other choice) the customers to use it's services. This is wrong. This is not positive behavior. This is putting a toll booth in the enterance to central park. AT&T is the expert of putting gates in front of public domains, data packages and tethering is another good example.

I love my iPhone, I want it to be GSM, I Bought my first iPhone 3 years ago when there was no other choice but AT&T and my second one when iPhone 4 came out, when I still did not have any other choice. I do not have the money to buy myself a brand new unlocked phone and three months before a new iPhone comes out, I would not suggest anybody to buy a new phone.

This is the AT&T forum. I hope they opened this forum so customers can raise issues that bother them. I hope that somebody in AT&T is reading this comments and I definetely hope (and as I can see in the forum history) that I am not the only one who believe that AT&T policy is wrong, should be changed and can be changed.
{be courteous}

[ Edited ]
9 of 37 (600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 10:08:07 AM
(0)
Former Employee

The thing that bothers me the most about all of these lock/unlock posts is everyone is assuming it is solely ATT's decision whether or not to unlock the iphone. Has anyone considered that maybe Apple has a say in it also? ATT has plenty of locked phones in their inventory but will unlock them once folks are out of contract, so why is the Iphone different? The only answer I come up with is Apple also has to agree to unlock them. Apple has been selling unlocked iphones since the iphone was released, just not in the US until this week. If currently locked iphones, regardless of the carrier, were to be unlocked, they would instantly become a hot commodity on the secondary market and would compete directly with Apple's unlocked iphone market. I don't know if its ATT's decision, Apple's decison or a combination of both, but there is plenty of incentive for Apple to not want any locked iphone to be unlocked, so don't assume it is solely up to ATT.

The thing that bothers me the most about all of these lock/unlock posts is everyone is assuming it is solely ATT's decision whether or not to unlock the iphone. Has anyone considered that maybe Apple has a say in it also? ATT has plenty of locked phones in their inventory but will unlock them once folks are out of contract, so why is the Iphone different? The only answer I come up with is Apple also has to agree to unlock them. Apple has been selling unlocked iphones since the iphone was released, just not in the US until this week. If currently locked iphones, regardless of the carrier, were to be unlocked, they would instantly become a hot commodity on the secondary market and would compete directly with Apple's unlocked iphone market. I don't know if its ATT's decision, Apple's decison or a combination of both, but there is plenty of incentive for Apple to not want any locked iphone to be unlocked, so don't assume it is solely up to ATT.

10 of 37 (589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 10:52:36 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:53:22 AM

uminatsu wrote:

the wording is different on the back of the Iphone box for the Verizon phone:

"Wireless service is solely provided and is the responsiblity of Verizon Wireless. This Iphone is configured to work only with the Wireless Service of Verizon Wireless"

I hae both, a Verizon Iphone and a ATT Iphone - locked on BOTH networks, have underlined the important portions of the back. Gues what - even with Verizon you have a life long commitment to their service if you want to keep the Verizon based iphone....

uminatsu wrote:

the wording is different on the back of the Iphone box for the Verizon phone:

"Wireless service is solely provided and is the responsiblity of Verizon Wireless. This Iphone is configured to work only with the Wireless Service of Verizon Wireless"

I hae both, a Verizon Iphone and a ATT Iphone - locked on BOTH networks, have underlined the important portions of the back. Gues what - even with Verizon you have a life long commitment to their service if you want to keep the Verizon based iphone....

[ Edited ]
11 of 37 (470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 11:05:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

Oh, so now it is apple's fault?

First it was the fact that there is no unlock code, when we made it clear that there is a way to unlock the iphones, you blame apple.

Apple has built a very good system that contains a database of unlocked IMEIs. All ATT has to do is to send a request in this system and in the next time the iphone is synced it is not unlocked anymore. For some reason, ATT refuses to do so.

Apple did not start selling unlocked phone from the beginning. You might have this weird footer message under your post but you do work there. So either you do not know the facts or you have been sent to lie. Apple started selling phones outside the US around the time the iphone 3gs got out. Until then, every person around the world who wanted an iphone, had to get it from the US. Apple started to sell unlocked phones only because of the fact that in some countries it is illegal to sell locked phones. That says that at list for the first two years there were no officially unlocked phones.

You are worried about the secondary market? What is so special about ATT that no competition is allowed? Also, if there is a fair price for unlocked phones (650 sounds fair to me) the secondary market will not be an issue.

I do not assume that ATT is the only one to blame, I assume that apple is on the customer's side. Why? Because of the fact that at the first time the company had the ability to sell unlocked phones, they did it without any hesitation. Also because apple will be happy to gain all profit from every iPhone sell and not to share with any carrier. I assume that from apple's side, ATT was good at first because you can not sell a new phone without the support of at list one carrier. I believe that today Apple sees ATT as an obsticle only because it is the main issue people complain about when they talk about the iphone and Apple, as we know, wants the iphone to look seemles as possible.

First it was the fact that there is no unlock code, when we made it clear that there is a way to unlock the iphones, you blame apple.

Apple has built a very good system that contains a database of unlocked IMEIs. All ATT has to do is to send a request in this system and in the next time the iphone is synced it is not unlocked anymore. For some reason, ATT refuses to do so.

Apple did not start selling unlocked phone from the beginning. You might have this weird footer message under your post but you do work there. So either you do not know the facts or you have been sent to lie. Apple started selling phones outside the US around the time the iphone 3gs got out. Until then, every person around the world who wanted an iphone, had to get it from the US. Apple started to sell unlocked phones only because of the fact that in some countries it is illegal to sell locked phones. That says that at list for the first two years there were no officially unlocked phones.

You are worried about the secondary market? What is so special about ATT that no competition is allowed? Also, if there is a fair price for unlocked phones (650 sounds fair to me) the secondary market will not be an issue.

I do not assume that ATT is the only one to blame, I assume that apple is on the customer's side. Why? Because of the fact that at the first time the company had the ability to sell unlocked phones, they did it without any hesitation. Also because apple will be happy to gain all profit from every iPhone sell and not to share with any carrier. I assume that from apple's side, ATT was good at first because you can not sell a new phone without the support of at list one carrier. I believe that today Apple sees ATT as an obsticle only because it is the main issue people complain about when they talk about the iphone and Apple, as we know, wants the iphone to look seemles as possible.

12 of 37 (468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 11:30:18 AM
(0)
Master

I think this says it all.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9obgyYB1IU

I would like to see things change but it is not going to be solved here.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I think this says it all.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9obgyYB1IU

I would like to see things change but it is not going to be solved here.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

13 of 37 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 12:29:31 PM
(0)
Former Employee

ymeiner wrote:

Let me address three items of your post.

First, I did not say it was Apple's fault. I only suggest Apple may have a say in whether locked iphones are unlocked.

Second, as stated at the bottom of my post, everything in there is my opinion, I never claimed they were facts, but I definitely was not sent to lie. When I say Apple has been selling unlocked Iphones from the beginning, OK maybe the original Iphone was not available in an unlocked version (I forgot that was only sold in the US), but as you point out there has been an officially unlocked iphone available since the 3G. The only point I was trying to make there is that Apple has been selling unlocked iphones for several years now.

Third, I'm not worried about a secondary market and I don't believe ATT cares either. Perhaps I wasn't clear but what I meant was, and again this is just my opinion, the secondary market would be in competition with Apple, hence they have a reason for not wanting to see locked iphones get unlocked. You are free to disagree if you want because once again, this is just my opinion.

ymeiner wrote:

Let me address three items of your post.

First, I did not say it was Apple's fault. I only suggest Apple may have a say in whether locked iphones are unlocked.

Second, as stated at the bottom of my post, everything in there is my opinion, I never claimed they were facts, but I definitely was not sent to lie. When I say Apple has been selling unlocked Iphones from the beginning, OK maybe the original Iphone was not available in an unlocked version (I forgot that was only sold in the US), but as you point out there has been an officially unlocked iphone available since the 3G. The only point I was trying to make there is that Apple has been selling unlocked iphones for several years now.

Third, I'm not worried about a secondary market and I don't believe ATT cares either. Perhaps I wasn't clear but what I meant was, and again this is just my opinion, the secondary market would be in competition with Apple, hence they have a reason for not wanting to see locked iphones get unlocked. You are free to disagree if you want because once again, this is just my opinion.

14 of 37 (452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 12:36:06 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Chris_ForumsMod on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:00:30 PM

ymeiner wrote:

It would have been more polite if you had spelled my name correctly. {Be courteous}

ymeiner wrote:

It would have been more polite if you had spelled my name correctly. {Be courteous}

[ Edited ]
15 of 37 (450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 12:39:22 PM
(0)
Former Employee

"Third, I'm not worried about a secondary market and I don't believe ATT cares either. Perhaps I wasn't clear but what I meant was, and again this is just my opinion, the secondary market would be in competition with Apple, hence they have a reason for not wanting to see locked iphones get unlocked. You are free to disagree if you want because once again, this is just my opinion."

Makes sense to me.

"Third, I'm not worried about a secondary market and I don't believe ATT cares either. Perhaps I wasn't clear but what I meant was, and again this is just my opinion, the secondary market would be in competition with Apple, hence they have a reason for not wanting to see locked iphones get unlocked. You are free to disagree if you want because once again, this is just my opinion."

Makes sense to me.

16 of 37 (447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 2:36:16 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ymeiner on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:37:58 PM
About the competition with apple, good point but still it is apple who is selling the unlocked iPhones. For apple, this secondary market (way bigger than a local us secondary market) already exists.

If I remember correctly, the unlocked phones started around the 3GS and not the 3G, Hance several = almost 2.

Sorry for the name misspelling or any other spelling error, if this conversation was in Hebrew, it would be way easier for me but I believe that it would be an obstacle for you. I do not know you but I bet that the fact that I am close to fluent in both languages is impressive enough. This is how israeli accent reads like :-)
About the competition with apple, good point but still it is apple who is selling the unlocked iPhones. For apple, this secondary market (way bigger than a local us secondary market) already exists.

If I remember correctly, the unlocked phones started around the 3GS and not the 3G, Hance several = almost 2.

Sorry for the name misspelling or any other spelling error, if this conversation was in Hebrew, it would be way easier for me but I believe that it would be an obstacle for you. I do not know you but I bet that the fact that I am close to fluent in both languages is impressive enough. This is how israeli accent reads like :-)

[ Edited ]
17 of 37 (425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 7:32:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

ymeiner wrote:

Isn't it nice you blow your own trumpet. Being fluent in two languages may be impressive for you, but not me. Let's just end it here. I would rather not continue this nonsense. Your ego is much too big for me. I guess your fluency in two languages is much more impressive than my PH.D. in English Literature.

PS While I am not fluent in Hebrew, I do have some familiarity with it.

ymeiner wrote:

Isn't it nice you blow your own trumpet. Being fluent in two languages may be impressive for you, but not me. Let's just end it here. I would rather not continue this nonsense. Your ego is much too big for me. I guess your fluency in two languages is much more impressive than my PH.D. in English Literature.

PS While I am not fluent in Hebrew, I do have some familiarity with it.

18 of 37 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 10:20:26 AM
(0)
Contributor
So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!
So I am assuming there is only one logically place where all these locked for life iPhone can go is the US landfill. Awesome!

19 of 37 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 2:13:16 PM
(0)
Master

sas616 wrote:

Not really, once it has served its useful life for you, it serves well as an iPod touch, sell to to someone else and make some money or better yet, donate it to a local charity that helps battered women who can benefit by having phone for emergencies and get the tax benefit for the donation. (Consult with your own tax advisor as your situation and ability to take advantage of a deduction will vary.)

sas616 wrote:

Not really, once it has served its useful life for you, it serves well as an iPod touch, sell to to someone else and make some money or better yet, donate it to a local charity that helps battered women who can benefit by having phone for emergencies and get the tax benefit for the donation. (Consult with your own tax advisor as your situation and ability to take advantage of a deduction will vary.)

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

20 of 37 (359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 3:39:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

sas616 wrote:

Regretfully, they probably won't end-up in a US landfill either.  Most stuff like this that is considered "hazardous waste" is shipped overseas and is dumped in some other country's landfill.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

sas616 wrote:

Regretfully, they probably won't end-up in a US landfill either.  Most stuff like this that is considered "hazardous waste" is shipped overseas and is dumped in some other country's landfill.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

21 of 37 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 3:44:22 PM
(0)
Expert

sas616 wrote:

Your choice - the majority of people don;t really care if the phone is locked to ATT or in the case of the cdma version verizon, There will always be a market for the locked phones, not everyone is willing to pay full retail for for the unlocked version. 199 / 299 is alot easier on the pocket book then 650 / 750.  Only phone I have every paid over subsidized was for teh iridium I care when outside the US and in areas that have poor or non-existent service

sas616 wrote:

Your choice - the majority of people don;t really care if the phone is locked to ATT or in the case of the cdma version verizon, There will always be a market for the locked phones, not everyone is willing to pay full retail for for the unlocked version. 199 / 299 is alot easier on the pocket book then 650 / 750.  Only phone I have every paid over subsidized was for teh iridium I care when outside the US and in areas that have poor or non-existent service

22 of 37 (427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 3:47:21 PM
(0)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

sas616 wrote:

/rofl I doubt you will put it in a landfill - if you are that serious about it - donate it to a abused shelter or for deployed military for communications with their family, send 20 to 30 of them a year to domestic violence abuse shelters for them to use

GeekBoy wrote:

sas616 wrote:

/rofl I doubt you will put it in a landfill - if you are that serious about it - donate it to a abused shelter or for deployed military for communications with their family, send 20 to 30 of them a year to domestic violence abuse shelters for them to use

23 of 37 (425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2011 9:31:07 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ymeiner on Jun 19, 2011 at 9:54:28 PM
Wing rider, you are so wrong that it is amazing, the majority of people buy the iPhones despite the lock. It is not that they do not care, it is more likely because of poor knowldage or a meter of the better bad choice. Reality is that people love iPhones and buy it despite the fact that AT&T is part of the deal. A lot of them (aspacialy people who bought it to use it abroad) will jailbreak and unlock the phone. They wouldn't have done it if there was a way to unlock it in a more 'civilized' way.

Stop telling yourself stories about masses of stupid people that did not do the right choice, it is more like masses of people who have a way to unlock the phone and think that a better solution could and should come from AT&T. there are three ways to unlock your phone today, non of them is coming from AT&T. I do not want to start rumors here but I do know for a fact that apple is telling it's customers to go and look for an unlock solution in the web because AT&T would not give one.

I know it would be really hard for you to change your mind but just stop for a sec and open yourself to reality.

Also, I already asked you but it would be nice to remind you that some people in this world are not in the same economic condition as you are so before you are sending people to buy a phone or donate it, think about ways that they can use what they have by themselves. Your remarks are on the border of being elithistic (I hope I wrote it correctly) and it is quite rude.
Wing rider, you are so wrong that it is amazing, the majority of people buy the iPhones despite the lock. It is not that they do not care, it is more likely because of poor knowldage or a meter of the better bad choice. Reality is that people love iPhones and buy it despite the fact that AT&T is part of the deal. A lot of them (aspacialy people who bought it to use it abroad) will jailbreak and unlock the phone. They wouldn't have done it if there was a way to unlock it in a more 'civilized' way.

Stop telling yourself stories about masses of stupid people that did not do the right choice, it is more like masses of people who have a way to unlock the phone and think that a better solution could and should come from AT&T. there are three ways to unlock your phone today, non of them is coming from AT&T. I do not want to start rumors here but I do know for a fact that apple is telling it's customers to go and look for an unlock solution in the web because AT&T would not give one.

I know it would be really hard for you to change your mind but just stop for a sec and open yourself to reality.

Also, I already asked you but it would be nice to remind you that some people in this world are not in the same economic condition as you are so before you are sending people to buy a phone or donate it, think about ways that they can use what they have by themselves. Your remarks are on the border of being elithistic (I hope I wrote it correctly) and it is quite rude.

[ Edited ]
24 of 37 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 12:44:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

youngjm wrote:

sas616 wrote:

Giving the old locked AT&T iPhone to a charity is doing them a great dis-service.

AT&T refuses to put PAYG service on an iPhone (Pay As You Go)

They want a 2-year contract with a data plan

In which case it's better to just pay the extra $50 and get a new iPhone 3GS.

But then they would still be stuck with a monthly data charges.

If it were unlocked, the charity could use it for PAYG servce.

Steve

youngjm wrote:

sas616 wrote:

Giving the old locked AT&T iPhone to a charity is doing them a great dis-service.

Steve

25 of 37 (359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 1:21:19 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jun 20, 2011 at 1:32:04 PM

swSteve wrote:

youngjm wrote:

sas616 wrote:

Steve

never donated any cell phones to specific style charities have you? They gladly take the iphones and what ever other phone  that we take off the business contract from both verizon, Sprint and att. If they don't utilize them, they will sell them on ebay and in silent auctions to help raise needed finds to continue their work.

swSteve wrote:

youngjm wrote:

sas616 wrote:

Steve

never donated any cell phones to specific style charities have you? They gladly take the iphones and what ever other phone  that we take off the business contract from both verizon, Sprint and att. If they don't utilize them, they will sell them on ebay and in silent auctions to help raise needed finds to continue their work.

[ Edited ]
26 of 37 (355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 2:37:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

wingrider01 wrote:

Your post failed to mention that the charity could NOT use the phone as a phone.

except if calling 911.

Carefully crafted post to avoid making ATT look bad.

Steve

wingrider01 wrote:

Your post failed to mention that the charity could NOT use the phone as a phone.

except if calling 911.

Steve

27 of 37 (343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 3:57:23 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by scoobydoo on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:59:14 PM

swSteve wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

except if calling 911.

Steve

What reality do you exist in????? Certainly not the same one that the rest of us on this forum exist in.

One minute you are griping and complaining that you want your device unlocked so you can use it with any carrier, the next you're stating that phones cannot be used once out of contract.

[Please be courteous]

swSteve wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

except if calling 911.

Steve

What reality do you exist in????? Certainly not the same one that the rest of us on this forum exist in.

One minute you are griping and complaining that you want your device unlocked so you can use it with any carrier, the next you're stating that phones cannot be used once out of contract.

[Please be courteous]

[ Edited ]
28 of 37 (334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 4:28:28 PM
(0)
Master
I am really sorry I brought a great cause into this mess of a discussion. I think at this point, the horse has died.

I am really sorry I brought a great cause into this mess of a discussion. I think at this point, the horse has died.

29 of 37 (320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 6:11:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

youngjm wrote:

I could just see you handing over an iPhone 2G to your "great cause".

YG: Here's an iPhone 2G you can use to make emergency calls.

Charity: Great! What about regular calls?

YG: You need to buy a 2 year contract with an expensive data plan.

Charity: But we can't afford that so we'll just get a cheap PAYG plan from T-mobile.

YG: You can't because it's locked to AT&T. Sell it on eBay.

Charity: It's only worth $30 to $100 on eBay. with all the fees we get very little for the effort.

Charity: It would be worth much more and we could use it if it was unlocked.

YG: complainer.

youngjm wrote:

I could just see you handing over an iPhone 2G to your "great cause".

YG: Here's an iPhone 2G you can use to make emergency calls.

Charity: Great! What about regular calls?

YG: You need to buy a 2 year contract with an expensive data plan.

Charity: But we can't afford that so we'll just get a cheap PAYG plan from T-mobile.

YG: You can't because it's locked to AT&T. Sell it on eBay.

Charity: It's only worth $30 to $100 on eBay. with all the fees we get very little for the effort.

Charity: It would be worth much more and we could use it if it was unlocked.

YG: complainer.

30 of 37 (305 Views)