Helpful Links

Legally unlocked iphone 4, do I need to join any contract in AT&T

Contributor

Legally unlocked iphone 4, do I need to join any contract in AT&T

Hi everyone, I have a legally unlocked iphone 4 which was bought in Hong Kong.  If I want to use this iphone 4 in the States without joining a data plan in AT&T, can I do so? Because wifi is good enough for me to connect to internet.

Furthermore, I am an existing AT&T customer and I am using their monthly cell phone plan at the moment, can I just simply go to AT&T and get a micro sim for my iphone?  Will AT&T force me to upgrade my existing plan to a data plan inorder to get the micro sim? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Master

Re: Legally unlocked iphone 4, do I need to join any contract in AT&T

If you use an iPhone or any other smart phone on the ATT network, you must have a data plan. It does not matter if wifi is good-enough. Now you can just move the SIM over but remember the sim in the iPHone is a micro-sim. If you do not sign up for the right data plan, they will sign you up automatically.

You can sign up for a plan and you do not need to sign a contract since you have your own phone.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks.  What if I only want to use my iphone for phone calls using ATT cell phone plan but not ATT data network? Is it do-able? or so long as I am using iphone, I must purchase a ATT data plan even I dont need internet network?

Message 3 of 4
Expert

connieho817 wrote:

Thanks.  What if I only want to use my iphone for phone calls using ATT cell phone plan but not ATT data network? Is it do-able? or so long as I am using iphone, I must purchase a ATT data plan even I dont need internet network?

data plans are required for smartphones, if you do not add one when you sign up one will be automaticly added to the account. So yes you are required to purchase the data plan no matter if you need it or not.

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support