Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 15, 2010
8:19:48 AM
View profile
Legacy Unlimited Data Plan Questions - iPhone to WM7 and back (maybe)

I have the legacy unlimited data plan for the iPhone. I heard that if I pop my SIM into another data compatible device, AT&T would automatically adjust my data plan to reflect the new device. My question is that, once the Windows Mobile 7 devices come out and I pop my SIM in there, would I lose my unlimited data plan?

I have the legacy unlimited data plan for the iPhone. I heard that if I pop my SIM into another data compatible device, AT&T would automatically adjust my data plan to reflect the new device. My question is that, once the Windows Mobile 7 devices come out and I pop my SIM in there, would I lose my unlimited data plan?

Legacy Unlimited Data Plan Questions - iPhone to WM7 and back (maybe)

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 9:12:38 AM
(0)
Professor

All you have to do is call customer care and have the IMEI number ready. They will swap it, and put on the UNL plan for regular smartphones while removing the iPhone plan. You will lose your voicemail because the iPhone handles visual voicemail, but other then that your good.

All you have to do is call customer care and have the IMEI number ready. They will swap it, and put on the UNL plan for regular smartphones while removing the iPhone plan. You will lose your voicemail because the iPhone handles visual voicemail, but other then that your good.

Re: Legacy Unlimited Data Plan Questions - iPhone to WM7 and back (maybe)

2 of 6 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 10:59:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

Not to question your knowledge or expertise, but are you sure I would need to call them and not just swap the SIMs? I know with other non-GSM carriers, I'd need to contact CS to do an ESN swap. Reason I'm asking is that I used to move from one mobile to another without contacting CS. The unlimited data plans (before I had the iPhone) all worked with each phone. Now with the iPhone, I haven't swapped back and forth with anything so I can't comment, but when WM7 comes out, I might want to swap it, depending on how it works, every once in a while to frequently.

I know there's no option for unlimited data for the iPhone so my only concern is that if I use a non-iPhone and the data plan is downgraded/upgraded to another unlimited plan then going back to the iPhone, they can't possibly re-add the legacy unlimited. That's my main concern. I do not want to lose my unlimited data plan on my iPhone.

Not to question your knowledge or expertise, but are you sure I would need to call them and not just swap the SIMs? I know with other non-GSM carriers, I'd need to contact CS to do an ESN swap. Reason I'm asking is that I used to move from one mobile to another without contacting CS. The unlimited data plans (before I had the iPhone) all worked with each phone. Now with the iPhone, I haven't swapped back and forth with anything so I can't comment, but when WM7 comes out, I might want to swap it, depending on how it works, every once in a while to frequently.

I know there's no option for unlimited data for the iPhone so my only concern is that if I use a non-iPhone and the data plan is downgraded/upgraded to another unlimited plan then going back to the iPhone, they can't possibly re-add the legacy unlimited. That's my main concern. I do not want to lose my unlimited data plan on my iPhone.

3 of 6 (569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 11:47:31 AM
(0)
Professor

Great question! Usually you shouldnt have to, but each smartphone has a different data plan. Its better to do it by the books, so the billing system doesnt remove and put you on the "right" plan that it thinks is correct.

Great question! Usually you shouldnt have to, but each smartphone has a different data plan. Its better to do it by the books, so the billing system doesnt remove and put you on the "right" plan that it thinks is correct.

4 of 6 (562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 11:50:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

Sounds like a plan. Don't want them messin' with my data plan without me knowing!

Thanks!

Sounds like a plan. Don't want them messin' with my data plan without me knowing!

Thanks!

5 of 6 (559 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 11:53:23 AM
(0)
Professor

Definitely, just stress that you are moving from one UNL data plan to the UNL data plan for the windows phone, make sure its UNL by logging in online to confirm it. Once its gone, even accidentally, its hard to get back. But I think you'll be fine.

Definitely, just stress that you are moving from one UNL data plan to the UNL data plan for the windows phone, make sure its UNL by logging in online to confirm it. Once its gone, even accidentally, its hard to get back. But I think you'll be fine.

6 of 6 (557 Views)