Laptop Data Connect Unlimited Plan

Tutor

Laptop Data Connect Unlimited Plan

i've had the unlimited data plan for years, and now they notify me it no longer exists and the first time I reach the 5GB limit they shut it down and force me to sign up for new plan structure.

I've searched for information in the forum and most of the questions concern smartphones, iphones, etc. The early press releases indicated the unlimited would remain in effect until a service change. I talked to ATT customer support and the convoluted information was useless.

When I first started with data connect, a minimum $39.95 cell phone plan was required in order to get the $59.95 data connect line...... total bill $108..... (avg cellphone usage 50min/mo., data connect not even used some monthes)

The only thing Apple/ATT has done is kill the unlimited data plans. Has everyone been notified of this change?

Message 1 of 35
Professor

Re: Laptop Data Connect Unlimited Plan

I've heard of it, the deal was (and this is the way I think but I'm not 100% sure if I got it right) that there used to be two "unlimited" plans for the data connect. The oldest one was, and still is (if your grandfathered) truely unlimited. The other one (which is still old, but newer then the other) is unlimited but if you read the contract with it its a "soft cap". Basically if you go over the soft cap, they notify you that its there.

So, to my understanding, the "unlimited with soft cap" plans recently are being turned into hard cap, enforced plans.

Message 2 of 35
Tutor

since I signed up years ago online, where can I see the original agreements to see what the particulars are, or is there a date range to figure it out from........

That is really to complex a question to get answered calling them........

Message 3 of 35
Professor

Well, the fact that you were notified just shows you were probably on the plan that got capped. I don't think there is anything really you can do about it, I was just letting you know that I have heard of it but don't have first-hand experience with the issue.

Message 4 of 35
Tutor

I just checked the service date. It was started 10/2005 when it was still cingular....... So I guess I go shopping around since it appears I should have renewed the contract to keep it in force instead of letting it go month to month.......

I'm still disappointed that ATT said they were grandfathering existing plans since it was untrue...........

Message 5 of 35
Professor

They are grandfathering existing plans, what I'm telling you is yours always had a soft cap, they are just now enforcing it.

If yours was truly unlimited, then it would have been grandfathered. I know you were not aware of it, but that's how I heard it was going down. Also, no current carrier offers a unlimited plan, they are all limited to 5GB last time I checked.

Sorry about that, but you should check your usage (you can do it online) to see how much data you've used on average for the last year, maybe you wont go over 5GB.

Message 6 of 35
Master

First, this has zero to do with Apple.  This is an AT&T decision, which has been precipitated by the explosive growth of data-intensive devices.  iPhone or no iPhone, this is a decision they would have reached eventually.  Verizon is looking at eliminating their unlimited data, and Sprint has a weird hybrid system in place right now - unlimited 4G data where you can get it, but capped 3G data.  

Second, it is probably correct that your plan has a soft cap.  Regardless, it doesn't matter.  AT&T has rewritten their Wireless Service Agreement and is gradually forcing people out of unlimited plans.  They're allowing the grandfathered smartphones to keep their plans so long as they don't drop the plan or want anything like tethering.  Even Comcast is now capping their plans at 250GB.  

And letting your contract expire and go month-to-month had no effect on this.  If anything, that should have preserved your old plan.  If anything, did you upgrade at any point between 2005 and now?  If so, that's probably when you lost the unlimited plan.

JohnLC wrote:

I just checked the service date. It was started 10/2005 when it was still cingular....... So I guess I go shopping around since it appears I should have renewed the contract to keep it in force instead of letting it go month to month.......

I'm still disappointed that ATT said they were grandfathering existing plans since it was untrue...........

Message 7 of 35
Tutor

It's been an interesting exercise trying to figure what was going on. The "soft cap, hard cap" arguement is interesting, It would be nice to see an example of ATT/Cingular agreement that shows  the difference. I'd wager every agreement had the "We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or changes regarding your service at any time" statement. (standard legal term used in all services of this type)

I know that unlimited plans are no longer available, but they did wait until they drove smartphone sales to system capacity. In the past, 3G was not available in the majority of service areas I was located in so data limits were not importent because it was so slow there wasn't enough time in the day to exceed them. When I started using data connect it was marketed like the unlimited plan was sufficient to use as my only internet access. they now market it more like supplimental access and they should state so in their marketing info.

Oh well, times change and prices go up, so be it...... I'm just disappointed that the only notification was a paragraph on one monthly bill. Looking at the bill summary, it still says "unlimited". Had they dropped the "unlimited" term from my bill summary I would have noticed it sooner. Why would anyone look at the detail if it was irrelivent to my activity.

Message 8 of 35
Contributor

I got shut off on Saturday morning. Thursday morning I got an email saying I was about to go over I called and was told repeatedly it was a mistake. There were no plans to shut me off. Surprise. Saturday morning it was gone. Soft cap or hard cap aside I was told by a supervisor no one would be grandfathered in. I reupped my contract in December one week after they supposedly changed the plan and I was never notified. I am considering taking my business elsewhere.

Message 9 of 35
Tutor

I was irritated and the first thought was I'm moving on...... But after checking further, it only makes sense to move if coverage in your area is bad. All the carriers are pretty much the same as far as cost, terms, etc. Marketing is always fun to watch, get you in and then you stuck because it isn't worth the effort to change for $10 savings that will go away in a year anyway.

Minutes used to be the bottleneck, so text messaging was started (another $20 a mo.) then the data plans, give unlimited because it so slow no one will ever use it all. Smart marketing, make it so expensive to go over limit that you sign up for twice what you use. Why have one customer using 5 GB when you can have 5 customers paying for it but not using it..........

Message 10 of 35
Contributor

I just got off the phone with ATT again and they turned my internet back on and said they would grandfather it in. I talked to a supervisor and she removed the block in seconds. A note was left in the file to leave it on. This is the opposite of what I was told on Saturday that there was no way to turn it back on.  I will see what happens when I cap out again but for now I am satisfied.

Message 11 of 35
Scholar

UNSC_REACH wrote:

If yours was truly unlimited, then it would have been grandfathered. I know you were not aware of it, but that's how I heard it was going down. Also, no current carrier offers a unlimited plan, they are all limited to 5GB last time I checked.

Not so!

Virgin Mobile is selling a prepaid plan, UNLIMITED for $40 a month. It's on Sprint's network. The down side, if you are sharing a tower with user with a Sprint device, the Sprint user is going to get more bandwidth and speed. Users I have talked to say that in this situation the Virgin device will top out at 700-800 kbps while the Sprint device 5 feet away is speedtesting at 1.5 mbps. 

T-Mobile has a $40 5 gig capped plan, with no overages. If you go over, the TOS says they MIGHT throttle you <=200kbps.  Downside, 3g coverage in rural areas is non-existent, so unless you live in a metropolitan area, you're going to get EDGE coverage, which is @200kbps anyway. 

Millenicom (google it) is selling a $59 a month 10 gig capped plan along with a $69 a month UNLIMITED plan. They are using Verizon's network. They also have an unlimited, bring your own device plan, which you can buy a Sprint modem with a clean ESN from someone and use that. 

Sprint's EVO phone, an Android model, has a 4g/3g tethering plan which is currently unlimited on both 3g and 4g.  This currently, as far as I know, is the only phone they sell offering that deal.

There are unlimited plans out there, you just got to turn over some rocks and find them. 

There are rumors that on 10/28, Verizon is LOWERING the cost of it's mifi plans to $50 a month for 5 gigs, with overage charges at a totally tolerable $10 a gig. 

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3430/64/

AT&T can continue it's draconian data use policies, at it's own peril. While AT&T is busy clamping down on it's most loyal customers, everyone else is LOWERING their  prices.

Message 12 of 35
Tutor

I was reconnected 4 times this month.  In the last 24 hours I've been told there is no such thing as unlimited data connect, that it has always been 5 gigabytes.  I asked to see it in writing...  Oops.. They don't have it.  They just started 3G in my area. I'll bet there's a conenction.  My contract says unlimited.  (I downloaded it.)  My bill says unlimited.  There is no fine print.  I'll be seeing my local district attorney come Monday.  Apparently the word "fraud" means nothing to AT&T phone reps.

Oh, they have kindly offered to waive the cancellaltion fee if I stop my service.  How kind of them.  I live in an area without cable or DSL.  I'll be keeping my unlimited service.  When I looked over the shoulder of the kiosk rep at the mall last night, it said "grandfathered" next to my rate plan.

They're trying to get us all to quit in disgust.  For those of us w/o options, won't work.  Unlimited is why I signed up for AT&T.

Message 13 of 35
Tutor

So I am one of them who had this old unlimited dataconnect plan. I recently upgraded the plan, and in that I specifically asked to retain that old plan. The customer rep assured me that nothing was going to change, and the plans will be kept as it is. And now a month later I am getting this overage messages. That I am fast approaching 5G  limit.

I called up the customer rep a few min back, complaining about this. They wouldn't listen. She insisted that there was always this 5G soft limit on all plans, and that they could change the plan terms anytime without users notice.

Any advice what I should be doing? Thanking you!

Message 14 of 35
Scholar

anon6789 wrote:

So I am one of them who had this old unlimited dataconnect plan. I recently upgraded the plan, and in that I specifically asked to retain that old plan. The customer rep assured me that nothing was going to change, and the plans will be kept as it is. And now a month later I am getting this overage messages. That I am fast approaching 5G  limit.

I called up the customer rep a few min back, complaining about this. They wouldn't listen. She insisted that there was always this 5G soft limit on all plans, and that they could change the plan terms anytime without users notice.

Any advice what I should be doing? Thanking you!

Vote with your feet!

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/broadband2go.html?intcmp=p-hp-pt3-usb-40ul

http://millenicom.com/page/plans#unlimited_plan

Message 15 of 35
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support