Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 9, 2010
9:18:17 AM
View profile
Laptop Data Connect Unlimited Plan

i've had the unlimited data plan for years, and now they notify me it no longer exists and the first time I reach the 5GB limit they shut it down and force me to sign up for new plan structure.

I've searched for information in the forum and most of the questions concern smartphones, iphones, etc. The early press releases indicated the unlimited would remain in effect until a service change. I talked to ATT customer support and the convoluted information was useless.

When I first started with data connect, a minimum $39.95 cell phone plan was required in order to get the $59.95 data connect line...... total bill $108..... (avg cellphone usage 50min/mo., data connect not even used some monthes)

The only thing Apple/ATT has done is kill the unlimited data plans. Has everyone been notified of this change?

i've had the unlimited data plan for years, and now they notify me it no longer exists and the first time I reach the 5GB limit they shut it down and force me to sign up for new plan structure.

I've searched for information in the forum and most of the questions concern smartphones, iphones, etc. The early press releases indicated the unlimited would remain in effect until a service change. I talked to ATT customer support and the convoluted information was useless.

When I first started with data connect, a minimum $39.95 cell phone plan was required in order to get the $59.95 data connect line...... total bill $108..... (avg cellphone usage 50min/mo., data connect not even used some monthes)

The only thing Apple/ATT has done is kill the unlimited data plans. Has everyone been notified of this change?

Laptop Data Connect Unlimited Plan

34 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 9:38:51 AM
(0)
Professor

I've heard of it, the deal was (and this is the way I think but I'm not 100% sure if I got it right) that there used to be two "unlimited" plans for the data connect. The oldest one was, and still is (if your grandfathered) truely unlimited. The other one (which is still old, but newer then the other) is unlimited but if you read the contract with it its a "soft cap". Basically if you go over the soft cap, they notify you that its there.

So, to my understanding, the "unlimited with soft cap" plans recently are being turned into hard cap, enforced plans.

I've heard of it, the deal was (and this is the way I think but I'm not 100% sure if I got it right) that there used to be two "unlimited" plans for the data connect. The oldest one was, and still is (if your grandfathered) truely unlimited. The other one (which is still old, but newer then the other) is unlimited but if you read the contract with it its a "soft cap". Basically if you go over the soft cap, they notify you that its there.

So, to my understanding, the "unlimited with soft cap" plans recently are being turned into hard cap, enforced plans.

Re: Laptop Data Connect Unlimited Plan

2 of 35 (5,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 9:54:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

since I signed up years ago online, where can I see the original agreements to see what the particulars are, or is there a date range to figure it out from........

That is really to complex a question to get answered calling them........

since I signed up years ago online, where can I see the original agreements to see what the particulars are, or is there a date range to figure it out from........

That is really to complex a question to get answered calling them........

3 of 35 (5,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 10:19:40 AM
(0)
Professor

Well, the fact that you were notified just shows you were probably on the plan that got capped. I don't think there is anything really you can do about it, I was just letting you know that I have heard of it but don't have first-hand experience with the issue.

Well, the fact that you were notified just shows you were probably on the plan that got capped. I don't think there is anything really you can do about it, I was just letting you know that I have heard of it but don't have first-hand experience with the issue.

4 of 35 (5,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 10:32:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just checked the service date. It was started 10/2005 when it was still cingular....... So I guess I go shopping around since it appears I should have renewed the contract to keep it in force instead of letting it go month to month.......

I'm still disappointed that ATT said they were grandfathering existing plans since it was untrue...........

I just checked the service date. It was started 10/2005 when it was still cingular....... So I guess I go shopping around since it appears I should have renewed the contract to keep it in force instead of letting it go month to month.......

I'm still disappointed that ATT said they were grandfathering existing plans since it was untrue...........

5 of 35 (5,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 10:40:29 AM
(0)
Professor

They are grandfathering existing plans, what I'm telling you is yours always had a soft cap, they are just now enforcing it.

If yours was truly unlimited, then it would have been grandfathered. I know you were not aware of it, but that's how I heard it was going down. Also, no current carrier offers a unlimited plan, they are all limited to 5GB last time I checked.

Sorry about that, but you should check your usage (you can do it online) to see how much data you've used on average for the last year, maybe you wont go over 5GB.

They are grandfathering existing plans, what I'm telling you is yours always had a soft cap, they are just now enforcing it.

If yours was truly unlimited, then it would have been grandfathered. I know you were not aware of it, but that's how I heard it was going down. Also, no current carrier offers a unlimited plan, they are all limited to 5GB last time I checked.

Sorry about that, but you should check your usage (you can do it online) to see how much data you've used on average for the last year, maybe you wont go over 5GB.

6 of 35 (5,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2010 8:28:48 AM
(0)
Master

First, this has zero to do with Apple.  This is an AT&T decision, which has been precipitated by the explosive growth of data-intensive devices.  iPhone or no iPhone, this is a decision they would have reached eventually.  Verizon is looking at eliminating their unlimited data, and Sprint has a weird hybrid system in place right now - unlimited 4G data where you can get it, but capped 3G data.  

Second, it is probably correct that your plan has a soft cap.  Regardless, it doesn't matter.  AT&T has rewritten their Wireless Service Agreement and is gradually forcing people out of unlimited plans.  They're allowing the grandfathered smartphones to keep their plans so long as they don't drop the plan or want anything like tethering.  Even Comcast is now capping their plans at 250GB.  

And letting your contract expire and go month-to-month had no effect on this.  If anything, that should have preserved your old plan.  If anything, did you upgrade at any point between 2005 and now?  If so, that's probably when you lost the unlimited plan.

JohnLC wrote:

First, this has zero to do with Apple.  This is an AT&T decision, which has been precipitated by the explosive growth of data-intensive devices.  iPhone or no iPhone, this is a decision they would have reached eventually.  Verizon is looking at eliminating their unlimited data, and Sprint has a weird hybrid system in place right now - unlimited 4G data where you can get it, but capped 3G data.  

Second, it is probably correct that your plan has a soft cap.  Regardless, it doesn't matter.  AT&T has rewritten their Wireless Service Agreement and is gradually forcing people out of unlimited plans.  They're allowing the grandfathered smartphones to keep their plans so long as they don't drop the plan or want anything like tethering.  Even Comcast is now capping their plans at 250GB.  

And letting your contract expire and go month-to-month had no effect on this.  If anything, that should have preserved your old plan.  If anything, did you upgrade at any point between 2005 and now?  If so, that's probably when you lost the unlimited plan.

JohnLC wrote:

7 of 35 (5,557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2010 9:02:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

It's been an interesting exercise trying to figure what was going on. The "soft cap, hard cap" arguement is interesting, It would be nice to see an example of ATT/Cingular agreement that shows  the difference. I'd wager every agreement had the "We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or changes regarding your service at any time" statement. (standard legal term used in all services of this type)

I know that unlimited plans are no longer available, but they did wait until they drove smartphone sales to system capacity. In the past, 3G was not available in the majority of service areas I was located in so data limits were not importent because it was so slow there wasn't enough time in the day to exceed them. When I started using data connect it was marketed like the unlimited plan was sufficient to use as my only internet access. they now market it more like supplimental access and they should state so in their marketing info.

Oh well, times change and prices go up, so be it...... I'm just disappointed that the only notification was a paragraph on one monthly bill. Looking at the bill summary, it still says "unlimited". Had they dropped the "unlimited" term from my bill summary I would have noticed it sooner. Why would anyone look at the detail if it was irrelivent to my activity.

It's been an interesting exercise trying to figure what was going on. The "soft cap, hard cap" arguement is interesting, It would be nice to see an example of ATT/Cingular agreement that shows  the difference. I'd wager every agreement had the "We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or changes regarding your service at any time" statement. (standard legal term used in all services of this type)

I know that unlimited plans are no longer available, but they did wait until they drove smartphone sales to system capacity. In the past, 3G was not available in the majority of service areas I was located in so data limits were not importent because it was so slow there wasn't enough time in the day to exceed them. When I started using data connect it was marketed like the unlimited plan was sufficient to use as my only internet access. they now market it more like supplimental access and they should state so in their marketing info.

Oh well, times change and prices go up, so be it...... I'm just disappointed that the only notification was a paragraph on one monthly bill. Looking at the bill summary, it still says "unlimited". Had they dropped the "unlimited" term from my bill summary I would have noticed it sooner. Why would anyone look at the detail if it was irrelivent to my activity.

8 of 35 (5,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 2:29:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I got shut off on Saturday morning. Thursday morning I got an email saying I was about to go over I called and was told repeatedly it was a mistake. There were no plans to shut me off. Surprise. Saturday morning it was gone. Soft cap or hard cap aside I was told by a supervisor no one would be grandfathered in. I reupped my contract in December one week after they supposedly changed the plan and I was never notified. I am considering taking my business elsewhere.

I got shut off on Saturday morning. Thursday morning I got an email saying I was about to go over I called and was told repeatedly it was a mistake. There were no plans to shut me off. Surprise. Saturday morning it was gone. Soft cap or hard cap aside I was told by a supervisor no one would be grandfathered in. I reupped my contract in December one week after they supposedly changed the plan and I was never notified. I am considering taking my business elsewhere.

9 of 35 (5,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 7:15:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was irritated and the first thought was I'm moving on...... But after checking further, it only makes sense to move if coverage in your area is bad. All the carriers are pretty much the same as far as cost, terms, etc. Marketing is always fun to watch, get you in and then you stuck because it isn't worth the effort to change for $10 savings that will go away in a year anyway.

Minutes used to be the bottleneck, so text messaging was started (another $20 a mo.) then the data plans, give unlimited because it so slow no one will ever use it all. Smart marketing, make it so expensive to go over limit that you sign up for twice what you use. Why have one customer using 5 GB when you can have 5 customers paying for it but not using it..........

I was irritated and the first thought was I'm moving on...... But after checking further, it only makes sense to move if coverage in your area is bad. All the carriers are pretty much the same as far as cost, terms, etc. Marketing is always fun to watch, get you in and then you stuck because it isn't worth the effort to change for $10 savings that will go away in a year anyway.

Minutes used to be the bottleneck, so text messaging was started (another $20 a mo.) then the data plans, give unlimited because it so slow no one will ever use it all. Smart marketing, make it so expensive to go over limit that you sign up for twice what you use. Why have one customer using 5 GB when you can have 5 customers paying for it but not using it..........

10 of 35 (5,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 11:57:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just got off the phone with ATT again and they turned my internet back on and said they would grandfather it in. I talked to a supervisor and she removed the block in seconds. A note was left in the file to leave it on. This is the opposite of what I was told on Saturday that there was no way to turn it back on.  I will see what happens when I cap out again but for now I am satisfied.

I just got off the phone with ATT again and they turned my internet back on and said they would grandfather it in. I talked to a supervisor and she removed the block in seconds. A note was left in the file to leave it on. This is the opposite of what I was told on Saturday that there was no way to turn it back on.  I will see what happens when I cap out again but for now I am satisfied.

11 of 35 (3,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2010 7:29:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by waynefoutz on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:52:35 PM

UNSC_REACH wrote:

Not so!

Virgin Mobile is selling a prepaid plan, UNLIMITED for $40 a month. It's on Sprint's network. The down side, if you are sharing a tower with user with a Sprint device, the Sprint user is going to get more bandwidth and speed. Users I have talked to say that in this situation the Virgin device will top out at 700-800 kbps while the Sprint device 5 feet away is speedtesting at 1.5 mbps. 

T-Mobile has a $40 5 gig capped plan, with no overages. If you go over, the TOS says they MIGHT throttle you <=200kbps.  Downside, 3g coverage in rural areas is non-existent, so unless you live in a metropolitan area, you're going to get EDGE coverage, which is @200kbps anyway. 

Millenicom (google it) is selling a $59 a month 10 gig capped plan along with a $69 a month UNLIMITED plan. They are using Verizon's network. They also have an unlimited, bring your own device plan, which you can buy a Sprint modem with a clean ESN from someone and use that. 

Sprint's EVO phone, an Android model, has a 4g/3g tethering plan which is currently unlimited on both 3g and 4g.  This currently, as far as I know, is the only phone they sell offering that deal.

There are unlimited plans out there, you just got to turn over some rocks and find them. 

There are rumors that on 10/28, Verizon is LOWERING the cost of it's mifi plans to $50 a month for 5 gigs, with overage charges at a totally tolerable $10 a gig. 

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3430/64/

AT&T can continue it's draconian data use policies, at it's own peril. While AT&T is busy clamping down on it's most loyal customers, everyone else is LOWERING their  prices.

UNSC_REACH wrote:

Not so!

Virgin Mobile is selling a prepaid plan, UNLIMITED for $40 a month. It's on Sprint's network. The down side, if you are sharing a tower with user with a Sprint device, the Sprint user is going to get more bandwidth and speed. Users I have talked to say that in this situation the Virgin device will top out at 700-800 kbps while the Sprint device 5 feet away is speedtesting at 1.5 mbps. 

T-Mobile has a $40 5 gig capped plan, with no overages. If you go over, the TOS says they MIGHT throttle you <=200kbps.  Downside, 3g coverage in rural areas is non-existent, so unless you live in a metropolitan area, you're going to get EDGE coverage, which is @200kbps anyway. 

Millenicom (google it) is selling a $59 a month 10 gig capped plan along with a $69 a month UNLIMITED plan. They are using Verizon's network. They also have an unlimited, bring your own device plan, which you can buy a Sprint modem with a clean ESN from someone and use that. 

Sprint's EVO phone, an Android model, has a 4g/3g tethering plan which is currently unlimited on both 3g and 4g.  This currently, as far as I know, is the only phone they sell offering that deal.

There are unlimited plans out there, you just got to turn over some rocks and find them. 

There are rumors that on 10/28, Verizon is LOWERING the cost of it's mifi plans to $50 a month for 5 gigs, with overage charges at a totally tolerable $10 a gig. 

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3430/64/

AT&T can continue it's draconian data use policies, at it's own peril. While AT&T is busy clamping down on it's most loyal customers, everyone else is LOWERING their  prices.

[ Edited ]
12 of 35 (3,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2010 10:03:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was reconnected 4 times this month.  In the last 24 hours I've been told there is no such thing as unlimited data connect, that it has always been 5 gigabytes.  I asked to see it in writing...  Oops.. They don't have it.  They just started 3G in my area. I'll bet there's a conenction.  My contract says unlimited.  (I downloaded it.)  My bill says unlimited.  There is no fine print.  I'll be seeing my local district attorney come Monday.  Apparently the word "fraud" means nothing to AT&T phone reps.

Oh, they have kindly offered to waive the cancellaltion fee if I stop my service.  How kind of them.  I live in an area without cable or DSL.  I'll be keeping my unlimited service.  When I looked over the shoulder of the kiosk rep at the mall last night, it said "grandfathered" next to my rate plan.

They're trying to get us all to quit in disgust.  For those of us w/o options, won't work.  Unlimited is why I signed up for AT&T.

I was reconnected 4 times this month.  In the last 24 hours I've been told there is no such thing as unlimited data connect, that it has always been 5 gigabytes.  I asked to see it in writing...  Oops.. They don't have it.  They just started 3G in my area. I'll bet there's a conenction.  My contract says unlimited.  (I downloaded it.)  My bill says unlimited.  There is no fine print.  I'll be seeing my local district attorney come Monday.  Apparently the word "fraud" means nothing to AT&T phone reps.

Oh, they have kindly offered to waive the cancellaltion fee if I stop my service.  How kind of them.  I live in an area without cable or DSL.  I'll be keeping my unlimited service.  When I looked over the shoulder of the kiosk rep at the mall last night, it said "grandfathered" next to my rate plan.

They're trying to get us all to quit in disgust.  For those of us w/o options, won't work.  Unlimited is why I signed up for AT&T.

13 of 35 (3,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 6:33:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

So I am one of them who had this old unlimited dataconnect plan. I recently upgraded the plan, and in that I specifically asked to retain that old plan. The customer rep assured me that nothing was going to change, and the plans will be kept as it is. And now a month later I am getting this overage messages. That I am fast approaching 5G  limit.

I called up the customer rep a few min back, complaining about this. They wouldn't listen. She insisted that there was always this 5G soft limit on all plans, and that they could change the plan terms anytime without users notice.

Any advice what I should be doing? Thanking you!

So I am one of them who had this old unlimited dataconnect plan. I recently upgraded the plan, and in that I specifically asked to retain that old plan. The customer rep assured me that nothing was going to change, and the plans will be kept as it is. And now a month later I am getting this overage messages. That I am fast approaching 5G  limit.

I called up the customer rep a few min back, complaining about this. They wouldn't listen. She insisted that there was always this 5G soft limit on all plans, and that they could change the plan terms anytime without users notice.

14 of 35 (3,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 6:42:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

anon6789 wrote:

Vote with your feet!

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/broadband2go.html?intcmp=p-hp-pt3-usb-40ul

http://millenicom.com/page/plans#unlimited_plan

anon6789 wrote:

Vote with your feet!

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/broadband2go.html?intcmp=p-hp-pt3-usb-40ul

http://millenicom.com/page/plans#unlimited_plan

15 of 35 (3,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2010 12:44:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

We have the same issue - signed up for GPRS DATA CONNECT ALL10 UNLIMITED with a Sierra aircard about 4 years ago.   In fact when I go into my bill online; it still TODAY says I have unlimited service, although that service was suspended last week when we reached 5GB.   The notification that they insisted was in our August bill definitely was never sent - we are billed online and the attachments to it are for other purposes.

I spoke earlier this month to a rep who assured me that we are part of the 2% that are grandfathered with our plan and he assured me that we would NEVER be billed for an overage or have service suspended.  However, now that it has been suspended, it is impossible to get back to that rep even though he insisted that I keep his name and ID handy if needed.

This is just a mess and the service reps at AT&T are about the worst at customer service that  I've ever encountered.   I've written to my US Senator for assistance with a consumer complaint and hope that can move things along. 

I am absolutely convinced that once you tell AT&T which other plan you want, they I will have done exactly what they are trying to trick  us into doing - cancelliing the plan ourselves with no recourse to get it back if we do.

Has anyone had any success arguing this?

We have the same issue - signed up for GPRS DATA CONNECT ALL10 UNLIMITED with a Sierra aircard about 4 years ago.   In fact when I go into my bill online; it still TODAY says I have unlimited service, although that service was suspended last week when we reached 5GB.   The notification that they insisted was in our August bill definitely was never sent - we are billed online and the attachments to it are for other purposes.

I spoke earlier this month to a rep who assured me that we are part of the 2% that are grandfathered with our plan and he assured me that we would NEVER be billed for an overage or have service suspended.  However, now that it has been suspended, it is impossible to get back to that rep even though he insisted that I keep his name and ID handy if needed.

This is just a mess and the service reps at AT&T are about the worst at customer service that  I've ever encountered.   I've written to my US Senator for assistance with a consumer complaint and hope that can move things along. 

I am absolutely convinced that once you tell AT&T which other plan you want, they I will have done exactly what they are trying to trick  us into doing - cancelliing the plan ourselves with no recourse to get it back if we do.

Has anyone had any success arguing this?

16 of 35 (2,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 10:55:31 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by executivemike on Dec 4, 2010 at 11:06:06 PM

I have an unlimited laptop connect plan from april 2006. I used 11gb of data with out any issues when i was on vacation in august 2010. i also have gone over a few other times without any issues of extra charges. (My children are gamers) i also have a sprint data connect also form nov. 2007 thats unlimited. i was told to never ever cancel them. $120 a month is hard to swing these days though i am hanging in there. Now with at&t mifi out. Up to 5 devices. I have a sprint mifi now which is awesome. I've upgraded them both. just becarefull who you upgrade from. you have to make sure that its a contract extension & make no changes. The at&t rep told me that if you upgrade through a 3rd party & in anyway the contract gets changed to 5gb & even its no fault of your own. At&t cannot get the unlimited back!!!

I have an unlimited laptop connect plan from april 2006. I used 11gb of data with out any issues when i was on vacation in august 2010. i also have gone over a few other times without any issues of extra charges. (My children are gamers) i also have a sprint data connect also form nov. 2007 thats unlimited. i was told to never ever cancel them. $120 a month is hard to swing these days though i am hanging in there. Now with at&t mifi out. Up to 5 devices. I have a sprint mifi now which is awesome. I've upgraded them both. just becarefull who you upgrade from. you have to make sure that its a contract extension & make no changes. The at&t rep told me that if you upgrade through a 3rd party & in anyway the contract gets changed to 5gb & even its no fault of your own. At&t cannot get the unlimited back!!!

[ Edited ]
17 of 35 (2,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 8:12:07 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by TalonDancer on Dec 5, 2010 at 8:16:37 PM

executivemike wrote:

I have an unlimited laptop connect plan from april 2006. I used 11gb of data with out any issues when i was on vacation in august 2010. i also have gone over a few other times without any issues of extra charges.....

This sounds familar... Last August I too went over 5GB with no "issues of extra charges". BUT there wass this little notice on the very last page of my bill..

"NOTICE: Data Plan Usage Limit Advisory
Notice: Your DataConnect unlimited usage plan has  expired. You will continue to receive service at your current monthly rate.  However, if you exceed 5GB, you will be billed $60 per month plus $.05/MB for any usage that exceeds 5GB in any billing period. Otherwise, you may terminate your service with no obligation."

And the next billing cycle that I came close to 5GB things got a bit more nasty Smiley Sad IOW my "unlimited plan" became capped. As a result I promptly cancelled my AT&T data connect contract without penalty.

Talon Dancer

p.s. Anyone who believes that thier AT&T Data Connect Plan is still unlimited.... Please post the AT&T graph of your historical data usage showing that you have used in excess of 5GB for more than 2 billing cycles since July 2010.

executivemike wrote:

I have an unlimited laptop connect plan from april 2006. I used 11gb of data with out any issues when i was on vacation in august 2010. i also have gone over a few other times without any issues of extra charges.....

This sounds familar... Last August I too went over 5GB with no "issues of extra charges". BUT there wass this little notice on the very last page of my bill..

"NOTICE: Data Plan Usage Limit Advisory
Notice: Your DataConnect unlimited usage plan has  expired. You will continue to receive service at your current monthly rate.  However, if you exceed 5GB, you will be billed $60 per month plus $.05/MB for any usage that exceeds 5GB in any billing period. Otherwise, you may terminate your service with no obligation."

And the next billing cycle that I came close to 5GB things got a bit more nasty Smiley Sad IOW my "unlimited plan" became capped. As a result I promptly cancelled my AT&T data connect contract without penalty.

Talon Dancer

p.s. Anyone who believes that thier AT&T Data Connect Plan is still unlimited.... Please post the AT&T graph of your historical data usage showing that you have used in excess of 5GB for more than 2 billing cycles since July 2010.

[ Edited ]
18 of 35 (2,817 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 6:11:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Wayne is right, there are still deals out there!

If you are fortunate enough to be in the 4G footprint, you can get unlimited with d/l speeds up to 10MB for under $60 a month, including taxes etc.   http://www.nolimit4g.com/

Ours has 3G fallback for when you are out of the 4G area, which slows it down some.  So far though (3 months) we have had no throttling and no overage charge.   We did a month to month because I absolutely hate contracts, but there are 1 yr and 2yr plans available. 

HTH

Wayne is right, there are still deals out there!

If you are fortunate enough to be in the 4G footprint, you can get unlimited with d/l speeds up to 10MB for under $60 a month, including taxes etc.   http://www.nolimit4g.com/

Ours has 3G fallback for when you are out of the 4G area, which slows it down some.  So far though (3 months) we have had no throttling and no overage charge.   We did a month to month because I absolutely hate contracts, but there are 1 yr and 2yr plans available. 

HTH

19 of 35 (2,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 1:10:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
Photobucket
Photobucket

20 of 35 (2,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2010 11:01:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

You are NOT alone

I've had the unlimited data plan for 5 years.just cancelled the data plan last month because the reason of Unlimited Plan no longer in service.

why att charged the data plan for 911 call fee? any one could call 911 from the data card?

You are NOT alone

I've had the unlimited data plan for 5 years.just cancelled the data plan last month because the reason of Unlimited Plan no longer in service.

why att charged the data plan for 911 call fee? any one could call 911 from the data card?

21 of 35 (2,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 11:55:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

I too had an old cingular "unlimited plan" that att said they would grandfather.  Att proceded to renig on the deal and said no more unlimited . I told them to turn it off and my home internet also and i now use clear which is  available in my area, faster and UNLIMITED....Att got so rich selling iphones thay can afford to run off old established customers.

I too had an old cingular "unlimited plan" that att said they would grandfather.  Att proceded to renig on the deal and said no more unlimited . I told them to turn it off and my home internet also and i now use clear which is  available in my area, faster and UNLIMITED....Att got so rich selling iphones thay can afford to run off old established customers.

22 of 35 (2,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 6:38:43 AM
(0)
Master

texbrian wrote:

.Att got so rich selling iphones thay can afford to run off old established customers.

The iPhone does have a lot to do with it.  The problem is that there are now too many data devices taxing the network and not enough capacity to service all of the users demands.  Becase of this it seems at&t made the decision to let the small fraction of high volume users conform to new rules or seek service elsewhere.  It's cheaper for at&t to let those few customers leave and it has a large positive impact on the network for the average user who does not use as much data.

It's a harsh reality and does leave a sour taste that unlimited does not really mean what it implies.

texbrian wrote:

.Att got so rich selling iphones thay can afford to run off old established customers.

The iPhone does have a lot to do with it.  The problem is that there are now too many data devices taxing the network and not enough capacity to service all of the users demands.  Becase of this it seems at&t made the decision to let the small fraction of high volume users conform to new rules or seek service elsewhere.  It's cheaper for at&t to let those few customers leave and it has a large positive impact on the network for the average user who does not use as much data.

It's a harsh reality and does leave a sour taste that unlimited does not really mean what it implies.

23 of 35 (2,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 12:41:05 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by executivemike on Jan 5, 2011 at 12:56:34 AM

Yes, I finally received the e-mail... i Don't remember ever receiving that message in august. I probally didn't notice it. On the brighter side of things i cancelled the service immediately. They waived my termination fee of $140.00. Which i think was fair. I still have my sprint data connect unlimited from 2007 (which is still unlimited the last i checked) to use which is a mifi up to 5 users so i will have to live with it.

I am going to sign up for the sprint 4g laptop plan now which the 4g is unlimited & the 3g is 5gb. 4g service is about 18 miles from were i live & my kids live in inbuilding coverage 4g with there mom in enfield,ct. i want to sign up now before sprint matches verizon's 4g plans & also caps there 4g on the data connect plans. i want to be grandfathered so thinking ahead now is crucial. 4g must suck up data usage. this will be my second sprint plan. I am not getting rid of the 3g only plan until 4g is in my neighborhood.

• High Usage Data Alert for 860689XXXX
1/04/11
 AT&T Customer Care for Wireless Add to contacts
To
From:AT&T Customer Care for Wireless (kc@connect2.wireless.att-mail.com)
Sent:Tue 1/04/11 10:41 PM
To: 
ATT
Dear MICHAEL,

High Data Usage Alert

As a valued customer, we are sending you this email to assist you in avoiding possible service interruption and minimizing your bill. Our systems have detected that you are using a substantial amount of data.

Your August 2010 bill contained a notice that your DataConnect plan has expired and, that you will be billed $.05/MB for any usage that exceeds 5GB in any billing period.

IF YOU USE 5GB IN A BILLING PERIOD, WE WILL TEMPORARILY SUSPEND YOUR SERVICE. This is to give you an opportunity to contact us to discuss your options, including being billed $.05/per MB for any usage that exceeds 5 GB. You also have the option to terminate service without penalty.

To avoid a possible suspension of service, please contact us now at 800-331-0500 or 611 from your wireless phone, so that we may assist you in selecting a plan which meets your needs.

Thank you,

AT&T

This e-mail was auto generated. Please do not respond.
©2010 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property.
\n'));" frameBorder=0 width=160 scrolling=no>

Yes, I finally received the e-mail... i Don't remember ever receiving that message in august. I probally didn't notice it. On the brighter side of things i cancelled the service immediately. They waived my termination fee of $140.00. Which i think was fair. I still have my sprint data connect unlimited from 2007 (which is still unlimited the last i checked) to use which is a mifi up to 5 users so i will have to live with it.

I am going to sign up for the sprint 4g laptop plan now which the 4g is unlimited & the 3g is 5gb. 4g service is about 18 miles from were i live & my kids live in inbuilding coverage 4g with there mom in enfield,ct. i want to sign up now before sprint matches verizon's 4g plans & also caps there 4g on the data connect plans. i want to be grandfathered so thinking ahead now is crucial. 4g must suck up data usage. this will be my second sprint plan. I am not getting rid of the 3g only plan until 4g is in my neighborhood.

• High Usage Data Alert for 860689XXXX
1/04/11
 AT&T Customer Care for Wireless Add to contacts
To
From:AT&T Customer Care for Wireless (kc@connect2.wireless.att-mail.com)
Sent:Tue 1/04/11 10:41 PM
To: 
ATT
Dear MICHAEL,

High Data Usage Alert

As a valued customer, we are sending you this email to assist you in avoiding possible service interruption and minimizing your bill. Our systems have detected that you are using a substantial amount of data.

Your August 2010 bill contained a notice that your DataConnect plan has expired and, that you will be billed $.05/MB for any usage that exceeds 5GB in any billing period.

IF YOU USE 5GB IN A BILLING PERIOD, WE WILL TEMPORARILY SUSPEND YOUR SERVICE. This is to give you an opportunity to contact us to discuss your options, including being billed $.05/per MB for any usage that exceeds 5 GB. You also have the option to terminate service without penalty.

To avoid a possible suspension of service, please contact us now at 800-331-0500 or 611 from your wireless phone, so that we may assist you in selecting a plan which meets your needs.

Thank you,

AT&T

This e-mail was auto generated. Please do not respond.
©2010 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property.
\n'));" frameBorder=0 width=160 scrolling=no>

[ Edited ]
24 of 35 (2,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 8:03:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi All Other Disgusted AT&T Unlimited Suscribers-

I have been lurking on this post for a while know that others have been Royally Screwed-I have been with Unlimited plan since 2006 when it first started as I am on the road 50 weeks a year for my job-It's totally a mobile job and need this for some "mission critical" data. 

I took this as far as I could with many hours on customer servvice 611 and finally complained to the FCC and actually heard from the President's Office- I also have 6, yes SIX  ATT accounts that I manage and pay right now. I think that my data connect plan says UNLIMITED when pulled up online. I ready to pull them  all. 

I finally just gave up trying to keep my Unlimited plan and I'm on a 5GB diet now-I have in writing that there will be a $10/GB charge over 5GB but was told by 611 that it would be $250/GB

Ethically AT&T is really displaying some unethical business practices by canning us-at least to their credit we are not running up $1000 bills (I once found out I have a $1600 Data roaming charge from Rogers in Canada-and they credited it-Rogers Stinks) I was in Detroit not Canada. 

I am reading this thread with great interest and really considering voting with my feet. I have been a loyal customer for over 30 years and my mother worked for AT&T for 40 years. 

I am hanging in with my Data plan with hopes that someone had figured out how to get it back? The FCC checked and AT&T would not budge so I think that getting it back would be a slim chance. 

BLAH blah blah (we can change this when ever we want and you can't do anything about it) Like all of you I have been told many times the unlimited plan will be grandfathered in.

How about my current iPad "unlimited plan" how long prior to that being cut.

AT&T is driving away some really good loyal customers and is morally bankrupt.

Best,

C TB 1600

I have been lurking on this post for a while know that others have been Royally Screwed-I have been with Unlimited plan since 2006 when it first started as I am on the road 50 weeks a year for my job-It's totally a mobile job and need this for some "mission critical" data. 

I took this as far as I could with many hours on customer servvice 611 and finally complained to the FCC and actually heard from the President's Office- I also have 6, yes SIX  ATT accounts that I manage and pay right now. I think that my data connect plan says UNLIMITED when pulled up online. I ready to pull them  all. 

I finally just gave up trying to keep my Unlimited plan and I'm on a 5GB diet now-I have in writing that there will be a $10/GB charge over 5GB but was told by 611 that it would be $250/GB

Ethically AT&T is really displaying some unethical business practices by canning us-at least to their credit we are not running up $1000 bills (I once found out I have a $1600 Data roaming charge from Rogers in Canada-and they credited it-Rogers Stinks) I was in Detroit not Canada. 

I am reading this thread with great interest and really considering voting with my feet. I have been a loyal customer for over 30 years and my mother worked for AT&T for 40 years. 

I am hanging in with my Data plan with hopes that someone had figured out how to get it back? The FCC checked and AT&T would not budge so I think that getting it back would be a slim chance. 

BLAH blah blah (we can change this when ever we want and you can't do anything about it) Like all of you I have been told many times the unlimited plan will be grandfathered in.

Best,

C TB 1600

$10/GB or $250/GB extra data charge over 5GB?! .05/MB x 1024MB/GB

25 of 35 (2,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 9:39:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Capt_Thunderbird_1600 wrote:

Best,

C TB 1600

Anything you are still within the contractual period for, at&t would not be able to substantially change your terms of service without allowing you to terminate service without incurring an early termination fee. 

And while I understand the displeasure at having the rug pulled out from under, anything where you are outside of the contractual commitment (operating on a "month to month" basis), at&t (or any provider) is within their rights to change the terms of your service.  That's the point of a contract - to establish the benefits and obligations of both parties for a *finite* period of time.

The objective of any business is maximizing shareholder value - mostly via revenue growth - the older unlimited data plans are making it difficult for at&t (and other carriers) to accomplish these goals while generally maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction due to the ever increasing demand on the network.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Capt_Thunderbird_1600 wrote:

Best,

C TB 1600

Anything you are still within the contractual period for, at&t would not be able to substantially change your terms of service without allowing you to terminate service without incurring an early termination fee. 

And while I understand the displeasure at having the rug pulled out from under, anything where you are outside of the contractual commitment (operating on a "month to month" basis), at&t (or any provider) is within their rights to change the terms of your service.  That's the point of a contract - to establish the benefits and obligations of both parties for a *finite* period of time.

The objective of any business is maximizing shareholder value - mostly via revenue growth - the older unlimited data plans are making it difficult for at&t (and other carriers) to accomplish these goals while generally maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction due to the ever increasing demand on the network.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: $10/GB or $250/GB extra data charge over 5GB?! .05/MB x 1024MB/GB

26 of 35 (2,509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 10:52:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 9, 2011 at 11:51:06 AM

I have read the above boilerplate response above on other complaint pages here about this fraud. Cancelling my unlimited broadband minutes when that is what I purchased long ago. Breaking a contract and hassling customers till they just give up. The las paragraph is an excuse that would not hold up in court by the way.

Since I signed up for unlimited (I was told I started in 98)  I have never changed my plan. Years ago ATT&T employees told me this. Do';t ever let it go.  SO I have not, Some moths I am under some I am over. That's why I got unlimited to keep my bills the same.

I have also:

Never missed a payment

Never added or removed a features,

Never canceled even for a second

Have 4 AT&T accounts. Two Iphones and two broadband laptops When My wife asked to bundle them years ago I kept this one separate to not mess with it.

Since this fraud started back in July 2010 I have been alternately told that yes you are still unlimited (turned back on), we are sorry and no you are now on a 5GB max (we mailed you a notice) shut off at 5GB and then and yes you ae unlimited reinstated and now no you are not.

Every time I call them the person has to go back and "read the notes" in my file. Weirdly I'm told that the ones that say I'm back on and I'm unlimited grandfathered are never there. Go figure. Also, I even tried on the 3rd time to get an email follow-up to confirm I'm still unlimited but that never came (!).

I'm still going to work this.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I have read the above boilerplate response above on other complaint pages here about this fraud. Cancelling my unlimited broadband minutes when that is what I purchased long ago. Breaking a contract and hassling customers till they just give up. The las paragraph is an excuse that would not hold up in court by the way.

Since I signed up for unlimited (I was told I started in 98)  I have never changed my plan. Years ago ATT&T employees told me this. Do';t ever let it go.  SO I have not, Some moths I am under some I am over. That's why I got unlimited to keep my bills the same.

I have also:

Never missed a payment

Have 4 AT&T accounts. Two Iphones and two broadband laptops When My wife asked to bundle them years ago I kept this one separate to not mess with it.

Since this fraud started back in July 2010 I have been alternately told that yes you are still unlimited (turned back on), we are sorry and no you are now on a 5GB max (we mailed you a notice) shut off at 5GB and then and yes you ae unlimited reinstated and now no you are not.

Every time I call them the person has to go back and "read the notes" in my file. Weirdly I'm told that the ones that say I'm back on and I'm unlimited grandfathered are never there. Go figure. Also, I even tried on the 3rd time to get an email follow-up to confirm I'm still unlimited but that never came (!).

[ Edited ]
27 of 35 (2,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 11:11:55 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by aristizzle on Jan 9, 2011 at 12:02:59 PM

It's not like they force you to stay, if you dont want to switch to the 5GB capped plans then you can cancel without penalty.

It's not like they force you to stay, if you dont want to switch to the 5GB capped plans then you can cancel without penalty.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

[ Edited ]
28 of 35 (2,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 4:06:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

This is Fraud! wrote:

I have also:

Never missed a payment

If I were in your shoes - I'd be upset too - I know I would be. Smiley Sad  And at&t's lack of consistency when you contact them about the issue certainly wouldn't be helping my feelings over it either.

But as someone who recently purchased my first 3G phone (SE W518a) and did a side by side "test" with my SE W580i (2G device) over the weekend, I also want "what I'm paying for".  Data speed was consistently slightly better on the 2G device/network than it was on my brand new phone using the 3G network!!  I tried it with two different SIMs, and across the MediaNet browser, OperaMini, and the e-mail client.  (And yes, I am in a 3G area - the W518a's indicator shows it is using the HSPA network.)

So I am all in favor of whatever at&t feels they need to do to help eliminate network congestion and/or provide the resources necessary for network enhancements so ALL users receive the level of service they are paying for.  The "unlimited" data plans should be eliminated until such point in time at&t's network can support them without eroding the service for others. 

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

This is Fraud! wrote:

I have also:

Never missed a payment

If I were in your shoes - I'd be upset too - I know I would be. Smiley Sad  And at&t's lack of consistency when you contact them about the issue certainly wouldn't be helping my feelings over it either.

But as someone who recently purchased my first 3G phone (SE W518a) and did a side by side "test" with my SE W580i (2G device) over the weekend, I also want "what I'm paying for".  Data speed was consistently slightly better on the 2G device/network than it was on my brand new phone using the 3G network!!  I tried it with two different SIMs, and across the MediaNet browser, OperaMini, and the e-mail client.  (And yes, I am in a 3G area - the W518a's indicator shows it is using the HSPA network.)

So I am all in favor of whatever at&t feels they need to do to help eliminate network congestion and/or provide the resources necessary for network enhancements so ALL users receive the level of service they are paying for.  The "unlimited" data plans should be eliminated until such point in time at&t's network can support them without eroding the service for others. 

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

29 of 35 (2,448 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 7:26:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

Opps... Just happened to me Smiley Surprised Almost went over, When I LOG-IN it says Unlimited.(Laptop) . But the 611, says not any more.. I asked how they notifited me, they sated via the Text message system.. I informed them that I use the netbook and DO not use the AT&T app and never receive the notice..

I stated, OK, for this month, IF I go go, and you reverse the charges, then next month, I will know and can watch it more carefuly ..

They sated, NOPE, if you don't like it then cancel.. !! OK, I DID...

I spend close to 250-300 month..on several phones.. So, one line down, 5 to go.. and I will DROP them one at time..

I been with AT&T since 2006...

So LONG AT&T it has been good..But I guess time to change..

BATSmiley Sad

Opps... Just happened to me Smiley Surprised Almost went over, When I LOG-IN it says Unlimited.(Laptop) . But the 611, says not any more.. I asked how they notifited me, they sated via the Text message system.. I informed them that I use the netbook and DO not use the AT&T app and never receive the notice..

I stated, OK, for this month, IF I go go, and you reverse the charges, then next month, I will know and can watch it more carefuly ..

They sated, NOPE, if you don't like it then cancel.. !! OK, I DID...

I spend close to 250-300 month..on several phones.. So, one line down, 5 to go.. and I will DROP them one at time..

I been with AT&T since 2006...

So LONG AT&T it has been good..But I guess time to change..

BATSmiley Sad

30 of 35 (2,164 Views)