Land line phone - In Use light

Teacher

Land line phone - In Use light

I just got an ATT cordless (52209) phone and installed it.

Sometimes when I'm not using the phone, the "In Use" light (on the base) starts flashing for a minute and it says "Line In Use" on the handset. It lasts a minute and then stops.

This light is supposed to mean another phone is being used on the line, but there's no other phone being used. I do have DSL - in fact the phone is wired to a DSL filter and is plugged into the DSL modem.

Also, is it possible that the In Use light might appear because the handset says "Low Battery"?

I saw the ATT support pages and they just said the cord or phone might be defective.

My apt has the one phone jack that I'm using, and a second one which I was told was never activated.

Message 1 of 10 (5,619 Views)
Teacher

Re: Land line phone - In Use light

I just realized this is a wireless forum. Is there no forum for landline phones?

Or perhaps you can help me anyway.

Message 2 of 10 (5,618 Views)
Expert

robertjc wrote:

I just got an ATT cordless (52209) phone and installed it.

Sometimes when I'm not using the phone, the "In Use" light (on the base) starts flashing for a minute and it says "Line In Use" on the handset. It lasts a minute and then stops.

This light is supposed to mean another phone is being used on the line, but there's no other phone being used. I do have DSL - in fact the phone is wired to a DSL filter and is plugged into the DSL modem.

Also, is it possible that the In Use light might appear because the handset says "Low Battery"?

I saw the ATT support pages and they just said the cord or phone might be defective.

My apt has the one phone jack that I'm using, and a second one which I was told was never activated.

the documentation should tell you what functions the lights indicate.

You might want to test the second jack by plugging the phone into it, for a normal telephone line the jack does not need to be activated, it is just hardwired back to the 66/101 block on the dmark of the apartment. Unles the installed the jack and never ran the wires to the block.

Not sure what you are mentioned when you say the " phone is wired to a DSL filter and is plugged into the DSL modem", is the phone plugged into the back of the dsl modem or is there a splitter on the phone jack that has the dsl modem plugged into the filtered side and the phone in the unfiltered?

Message 3 of 10 (5,603 Views)
Teacher

The phone and DSL filter go into a "phone" jack in the modem.  In other words a splitter.

What I don't get is why DSL is okay while the landline is dead - no dial tone.

Message 4 of 10 (5,597 Views)
Teacher

By the way, I tried two different phones and had the same problems so I called and made an appt for Saturday.

Also, when I use my cell to call my landline, I just get a busy signal.

Message 5 of 10 (5,594 Views)
Expert

robertjc wrote:

The phone and DSL filter go into a "phone" jack in the modem.  In other words a splitter.

What I don't get is why DSL is okay while the landline is dead - no dial tone.

DSL can be added with no dial tone for a phone to different technologies, forget teh term fo that right now. Curious have you tried plugging the phone directly into the jack on the wall to see if it is drawing dial tone?

Message 6 of 10 (5,591 Views)
Teacher

My phone went back to normal today.

I did try plugging the phone directly into the wall.  It had the same problem.

I saw two ATT vans near my place.  I'm not sure what they did.

Message 7 of 10 (5,588 Views)
Expert

robertjc wrote:

My phone went back to normal today.

I did try plugging the phone directly into the wall.  It had the same problem.

I saw two ATT vans near my place.  I'm not sure what they did.

Proably reset something in the SAC (large box someplace near your house on the street) or did a reconfigure at the CO (central swithc office). Glad you got it resolved

Message 8 of 10 (5,581 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

My landline static has returned.  It's not quite as severe as before.  It hasn't rained lately.

Question:  why is there static during the dial tone?  There even static when I'm dialing a number.

You'd think the static would only occur when talking with someone on the line.

Message 9 of 10 (5,534 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

robertjc wrote:

My landline static has returned.  It's not quite as severe as before.  It hasn't rained lately.

Question:  why is there static during the dial tone?  There even static when I'm dialing a number.

You'd think the static would only occur when talking with someone on the line.

If mositure is getting in the line somewhere between the CO and the Dmark (the box outside your house that the line goes into) it will introduce static to the line, at dial tone or when talking. The other possiblity is frequency interferce with the wireless device - if the base station is near a microwave, a fluorescent light fixture or otehr electronic devices it can cause static.  The model number that you posted earlier shows multiple offerings depending on the first two letters, but it is a 1.9 GHz phone, try a different cord between the base station and the wall jack and a different dsl filter, they do fail.

On thougt - is the static on the base unit or on the remote units?

Message 10 of 10 (5,520 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.