Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 8, 2012
3:03:26 AM
View profile
Lack of 3G Toggle in ios 5.1 release for AT&T

AT&T has outdone itself by being the only carrier to not include the 3G toggle switch in the ios 5.1 update for the iphone 4S.  If this is the stance taken, then the coverage needs to be dratically increased to be able to get a signal where only the EDGE network can currently penetrate.  Verizon or Sprint are looking like great candidates to get my business on the next iPhone I will be purchasing in the next 30 days. 

AT&T has outdone itself by being the only carrier to not include the 3G toggle switch in the ios 5.1 update for the iphone 4S.  If this is the stance taken, then the coverage needs to be dratically increased to be able to get a signal where only the EDGE network can currently penetrate.  Verizon or Sprint are looking like great candidates to get my business on the next iPhone I will be purchasing in the next 30 days. 

Lack of 3G Toggle in ios 5.1 release for AT&T

41 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(41)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 3:09:18 AM
(0)
Professor
The ability to turn off 3G and force the phone to use EDGE all the time never existed on the 4S, IIRC. It was there on the 4, but something to do with the 4S having both GSM and CDMA radios I remember hearing.

BTW, it's Apple's iOS that provides the options for things like this, not AT&T. If something about the software bothers you, you need to take that up with Apple, not AT&T.
The ability to turn off 3G and force the phone to use EDGE all the time never existed on the 4S, IIRC. It was there on the 4, but something to do with the 4S having both GSM and CDMA radios I remember hearing.

BTW, it's Apple's iOS that provides the options for things like this, not AT&T. If something about the software bothers you, you need to take that up with Apple, not AT&T.

Re: Lack of 3G Toggle in ios 5.1 release for AT&T

2 of 42 (3,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 3:26:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

You are right, it is Apple's software release.  However, AT&T is is the ONLY carrier that chose not to include the toggle in the ios 5.1 update to their network iPhone.  That is an AT&T decision.  Apple only followed their instructions. 

You are right, it is Apple's software release.  However, AT&T is is the ONLY carrier that chose not to include the toggle in the ios 5.1 update to their network iPhone.  That is an AT&T decision.  Apple only followed their instructions. 

3 of 42 (3,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 3:41:04 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:42:59 AM

Again, unlike the iPhone 4, the 4S never had that 3G toggle.  You didn't lose it yesterday with iOS5.1.

http://www.mactalk.com.au/31/104744-switch-3g-off-iphone-4s.html

Besides, how do you know AT&T instructed Apple to do this? It seems any issue with the iPhone people want to blame AT&T because they're "evil" and Apple is somehow "good". Sometimes Apple is to blame. If you are missing the 3G toggle, you need to lay that right on Apple's doorstep, where it belongs.

Again, unlike the iPhone 4, the 4S never had that 3G toggle.  You didn't lose it yesterday with iOS5.1.

http://www.mactalk.com.au/31/104744-switch-3g-off-iphone-4s.html

Besides, how do you know AT&T instructed Apple to do this? It seems any issue with the iPhone people want to blame AT&T because they're "evil" and Apple is somehow "good". Sometimes Apple is to blame. If you are missing the 3G toggle, you need to lay that right on Apple's doorstep, where it belongs.

[ Edited ]
4 of 42 (3,708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 4:15:56 AM
(0)
Expert

tgrpws wrote:

Apple follow a demand from a carrier or any company that handles their product? Do not think so, they have a proven track record for ignoring companies. The ability never was on the 4S

tgrpws wrote:

Apple follow a demand from a carrier or any company that handles their product? Do not think so, they have a proven track record for ignoring companies. The ability never was on the 4S

5 of 42 (3,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 4:55:59 AM
(0)
Employee
There is quite a long thread about this on Apple's site that started when the 4s was released: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3389295?start=0&tstart=0 One thing made clear in that thread is that there is no 3G toggle on the CDMA version either.
There is quite a long thread about this on Apple's site that started when the 4s was released: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3389295?start=0&tstart=0 One thing made clear in that thread is that there is no 3G toggle on the CDMA version either.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 42 (3,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 5:16:36 AM
(0)
Master

AT&T does not want users to have the toggle switch anymore.  In some large cities like NY they are starting to move more spectrum from the old 2G bands to 3G bands to handle capacity issues.  Service on the 2G bands will continue to get worse as the 3G band capacity get better.

For areas that don't yet have 3G it is unlikely that at&t is going to spend too much more money upgrading them to 3G.  I"m guessing they will be more likely to move them directly to LTE.

AT&T does not want users to have the toggle switch anymore.  In some large cities like NY they are starting to move more spectrum from the old 2G bands to 3G bands to handle capacity issues.  Service on the 2G bands will continue to get worse as the 3G band capacity get better.

For areas that don't yet have 3G it is unlikely that at&t is going to spend too much more money upgrading them to 3G.  I"m guessing they will be more likely to move them directly to LTE.

7 of 42 (3,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 6:05:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

AT&T is the only US GSM carrier. The GSM hardware on the 4s does not have the ability to power down the 3G side of the chipset, there is no reason to have a switch that does nothing in the UI, so no switch. The switch is there on AT&T in iOS5 on the iPhone4, because the iPhone4 has discrete chipsets for Edge and 3G GSM.

AT&T is the only US GSM carrier. The GSM hardware on the 4s does not have the ability to power down the 3G side of the chipset, there is no reason to have a switch that does nothing in the UI, so no switch. The switch is there on AT&T in iOS5 on the iPhone4, because the iPhone4 has discrete chipsets for Edge and 3G GSM.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 42 (3,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 8:31:58 AM
(0)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

can verify this on a cdma iphone 4s, just upgraded a number of them that are on verizon - no toggle under 5.1

sandblaster wrote:

can verify this on a cdma iphone 4s, just upgraded a number of them that are on verizon - no toggle under 5.1

9 of 42 (3,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 8:56:39 AM
(0)
Professor
Again, this is NOT an iOS 5.1 thing. It's an iPhone 4S thing. Even with the initial 5.0 release on the first iPhone 4S, it never had that toggle. iPhone 4 (GSM) still has the toggle even with iOS 5.x
Again, this is NOT an iOS 5.1 thing. It's an iPhone 4S thing. Even with the initial 5.0 release on the first iPhone 4S, it never had that toggle. iPhone 4 (GSM) still has the toggle even with iOS 5.x

10 of 42 (3,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 12:17:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T may be the only GSM carrier in the US currently selling the iPhone 4S, but I personally can confirm AnandTech's result, that the 3G toggle reappears under iOS 5.1 on the 4S when using a T-Mobile SIM.

Two cases where one might want to disable 3G on AT&T's network: (1) at times when 3G is available, but overloaded or otherwise operating poorly, and (2) when battery life is at a premium. In spite of your claims, Apple still claims considerably better talk time when using non-3G GSM.

AT&T may be the only GSM carrier in the US currently selling the iPhone 4S, but I personally can confirm AnandTech's result, that the 3G toggle reappears under iOS 5.1 on the 4S when using a T-Mobile SIM.

Two cases where one might want to disable 3G on AT&T's network: (1) at times when 3G is available, but overloaded or otherwise operating poorly, and (2) when battery life is at a premium. In spite of your claims, Apple still claims considerably better talk time when using non-3G GSM.

11 of 42 (3,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 1:38:54 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by sjestus on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:40:53 PM

Yeah, Apple has been constantly pressured from AT&T to get this switched over to an indicator saying "4G" and their iPhone 4S then not having a switch available to turn of 3G. It's so AT&T can eventually move away from EDGE/GSM tech which they will then sell/lease to smaller cellular companies.

As pointed out already, an unlocked iPhone 4S will have the switch to turn off 3G on a carrier like T-Mobile for example, and when you insert an AT&T sim the switch automatically goes away and the 3G indicator turns into a 4G indicator, even though it uses the same HSDPA 7.2 tech.

Yeah, Apple has been constantly pressured from AT&T to get this switched over to an indicator saying "4G" and their iPhone 4S then not having a switch available to turn of 3G. It's so AT&T can eventually move away from EDGE/GSM tech which they will then sell/lease to smaller cellular companies.

As pointed out already, an unlocked iPhone 4S will have the switch to turn off 3G on a carrier like T-Mobile for example, and when you insert an AT&T sim the switch automatically goes away and the 3G indicator turns into a 4G indicator, even though it uses the same HSDPA 7.2 tech.

[ Edited ]
12 of 42 (3,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 1:58:56 PM
(0)
Master

AT&T sim cards have always disabled things on many models of phones and not just the iPhone.  For example when you are roaming (partner network) in the US if forces the display to always show at&t no matter which network you are on. 

Plus when you roam outside of North America it will show the actual network name and like magic a new option appears under the network settings which allows manual network selection.   The at&t sim cards force the devices to hide and unhide network options depending on what at&t has determined they want you to see.

AT&T sim cards have always disabled things on many models of phones and not just the iPhone.  For example when you are roaming (partner network) in the US if forces the display to always show at&t no matter which network you are on. 

Plus when you roam outside of North America it will show the actual network name and like magic a new option appears under the network settings which allows manual network selection.   The at&t sim cards force the devices to hide and unhide network options depending on what at&t has determined they want you to see.

13 of 42 (3,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 3:30:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have the same as that T-Mobile Phone from that link back there,

it really is confusing now beforehand I could enable my data but now theres 2 switches and im totally

lost by it all if i activate the bottom toggle i get slow data theres a circle if i activate both switches together I get my data

I don't know why apple have dished this out its a confusion to me and will take sometime to get used to it :smileyhappy:

I have the same as that T-Mobile Phone from that link back there,

it really is confusing now beforehand I could enable my data but now theres 2 switches and im totally

lost by it all if i activate the bottom toggle i get slow data theres a circle if i activate both switches together I get my data

I don't know why apple have dished this out its a confusion to me and will take sometime to get used to it :smileyhappy:

14 of 42 (3,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 4:28:12 PM
(0)
Professor
What's in it for AT&T to delete the 3G toggle? It's still there on the iPhone 4, even with iOS 5.1. What sinister intent that's advantageous to AT&T would there be behind AT&T making Apple delete the toggle on the 4S only?
What's in it for AT&T to delete the 3G toggle? It's still there on the iPhone 4, even with iOS 5.1. What sinister intent that's advantageous to AT&T would there be behind AT&T making Apple delete the toggle on the 4S only?

15 of 42 (3,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 5:37:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

I saw it listed on the update and have been looking for it the last 2 days.

Here is a pic of it on a 5.1 beta mode 3G Enable In IOS 5.1 Beta 3 For The IPhone 4S

I went from 3GS to 4S and that was a great option. I had a toggle switch on my screen of my 3GS and would turn it off when the phone was not in use. My battery would last close to a week, some people couldn't believe me and i used the phone a lot on wifi. Once the 4S was in my hand, the battery died the next day. I found a website where you can have a toggle switch on the screen. So i have it for wifi and data. It is on Lifehacker and my phone is not jailbroken to do this by the way.

So with data connection off, text messages come in and so do calls, but I don't get a notice of voicemails. My Google account might be messing that up, who knows.

Would be nice if this had it like the 3GS did so the battery would last longer.

Here is a pic of it on a 5.1 beta mode 3G Enable In IOS 5.1 Beta 3 For The IPhone 4S

I went from 3GS to 4S and that was a great option. I had a toggle switch on my screen of my 3GS and would turn it off when the phone was not in use. My battery would last close to a week, some people couldn't believe me and i used the phone a lot on wifi. Once the 4S was in my hand, the battery died the next day. I found a website where you can have a toggle switch on the screen. So i have it for wifi and data. It is on Lifehacker and my phone is not jailbroken to do this by the way.

So with data connection off, text messages come in and so do calls, but I don't get a notice of voicemails. My Google account might be messing that up, who knows.

16 of 42 (3,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 3:32:58 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:33:17 AM

dwill05 wrote:

Unless it is hiding someplace that is not in obvious it is not on the verizon 4S either. Can;t find it

dwill05 wrote:

Unless it is hiding someplace that is not in obvious it is not on the verizon 4S either. Can;t find it

[ Edited ]
17 of 42 (3,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 3:34:35 AM
(0)
Expert

auxiliary wrote:

key word - beta, in software development not everything that is plugged into beta makes it to RTM

auxiliary wrote:

key word - beta, in software development not everything that is plugged into beta makes it to RTM

18 of 42 (3,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 6:01:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

auxiliary wrote:

The integrated 3G chipset on the 4s does not support powering down 3G radio if put into Edge only mode. That's the only purpose of the switch. In beta, they regressed the test in software for "4s, on GSM" so the switch reappeared. They fixed that bug before it shipped.

If the switch was there, it would indeed force the 4s to use Edge only. The 3G side of the radio would still be powered up, and you would have exactly the same battery life, just slower speeds. Pointless. That's why its not there.

auxiliary wrote:

The integrated 3G chipset on the 4s does not support powering down 3G radio if put into Edge only mode. That's the only purpose of the switch. In beta, they regressed the test in software for "4s, on GSM" so the switch reappeared. They fixed that bug before it shipped.

If the switch was there, it would indeed force the 4s to use Edge only. The 3G side of the radio would still be powered up, and you would have exactly the same battery life, just slower speeds. Pointless. That's why its not there.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 42 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 8:54:49 AM
(0)
Master

johninsj wrote:

It's only pointless if you are trying to save battery life.  There are many real world situations where the 3G signal is weaker than the 2G EDGE signal and it is preferable to have the device not keep seeking out a weaker signal and lock on to a slower but more reliable one.  In these types of situations there is a very good point in having the switch available.

There are also situations where the 3G network is saturated and no connectivity is possible.  By manually switching to 2G a connection then becomes possible.

johninsj wrote:

It's only pointless if you are trying to save battery life.  There are many real world situations where the 3G signal is weaker than the 2G EDGE signal and it is preferable to have the device not keep seeking out a weaker signal and lock on to a slower but more reliable one.  In these types of situations there is a very good point in having the switch available.

There are also situations where the 3G network is saturated and no connectivity is possible.  By manually switching to 2G a connection then becomes possible.

20 of 42 (3,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 8:57:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

auxiliary wrote:

So does your comment imply that the 3G radio does turn off on an iPhone that does have the 3G Toggle option?  I ask because on the iPhone 3/3GS/4 running iOS 4.x, it states below the "Enable 3G" toggle that "Using 3G loads data faster, but may decrease battery life", thus clearly implying that turning it off may help save battery life--i.e., battery life may not decrease as rapidly as it would if the 3G toggle is set to ON.

johninsj wrote:

auxiliary wrote:

So does your comment imply that the 3G radio does turn off on an iPhone that does have the 3G Toggle option?  I ask because on the iPhone 3/3GS/4 running iOS 4.x, it states below the "Enable 3G" toggle that "Using 3G loads data faster, but may decrease battery life", thus clearly implying that turning it off may help save battery life--i.e., battery life may not decrease as rapidly as it would if the 3G toggle is set to ON.

21 of 42 (3,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 12:12:11 PM
(0)
Professor
The point I get out of the above post is that the chip in the 4S is different and you can't actually turn off the 3G radio, hence the option is deleted. The 3/GS/4 have a different chip where you can turn off the 3G radio, with reducing battery draw as a consequence.
The point I get out of the above post is that the chip in the 4S is different and you can't actually turn off the 3G radio, hence the option is deleted. The 3/GS/4 have a different chip where you can turn off the 3G radio, with reducing battery draw as a consequence.

22 of 42 (3,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 1:52:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

anton697 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

auxiliary wrote:

The power savings isn't from loading the same amount of data, slower. It's from using the lower powered edge radio chipset on the iPhone4, and powering off the 3G chipset. On the iPhone4s, its the same chip - there is no power difference, the 3G chip is always on unless you are in airplane mode.

anton697 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

auxiliary wrote:

The power savings isn't from loading the same amount of data, slower. It's from using the lower powered edge radio chipset on the iPhone4, and powering off the 3G chipset. On the iPhone4s, its the same chip - there is no power difference, the 3G chip is always on unless you are in airplane mode.

23 of 42 (3,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 6:17:16 PM
(0)
Professor
Don't understand the hubbub about this. It's been this way since the 4S was released last year. Why is this a surprise now?
Don't understand the hubbub about this. It's been this way since the 4S was released last year. Why is this a surprise now?

24 of 42 (3,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 7:37:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

So what are we to do if this is never resolved?  I really need the option to turn off 3G with my iPhone 4s.  For me, not only does it save battery life but it gets me a much better signal.  

So what are we to do if this is never resolved?  I really need the option to turn off 3G with my iPhone 4s.  For me, not only does it save battery life but it gets me a much better signal.  

25 of 42 (3,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 7:42:25 PM
(0)
Master
File a suggestion with Apple then. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
File a suggestion with Apple then. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

26 of 42 (3,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 9:43:55 PM
(0)
Mentor

dwill05 wrote:

Except as of iOS 5.1, Apple added the 3G toggle to the 4S for every carrier *except* AT&T. The beta had it enabled, and the toggle worked. Jailbroken phones can also disable 3G just fine. It's not a hardware limitation. 

dwill05 wrote:

Except as of iOS 5.1, Apple added the 3G toggle to the 4S for every carrier *except* AT&T. The beta had it enabled, and the toggle worked. Jailbroken phones can also disable 3G just fine. It's not a hardware limitation. 

27 of 42 (3,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2012 3:27:25 AM
(0)
Expert

TerraPhantm wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

We utilzie Verizon and Sprint Iphones in addition to ATT Iphones on the business account - the latest drop of the IOS for them do not have this so called toggle, it may have been in beta but that does not mean it is accessable in the RTM drop of the code - scream at  Apple not at the carrier if you want it.

TerraPhantm wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

We utilzie Verizon and Sprint Iphones in addition to ATT Iphones on the business account - the latest drop of the IOS for them do not have this so called toggle, it may have been in beta but that does not mean it is accessable in the RTM drop of the code - scream at  Apple not at the carrier if you want it.

28 of 42 (3,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2012 6:02:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

TerraPhantm wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

I can repeat it again, slower, with smaller words.

You can force a 4s to only use Edge.

The 3G side of the chip will remain powered on, drawing power, so there is no battery advantage

Apple chose to reduce confusion by not having the switch that does mostly nothing in the UI, in the final release.

Send a suggestion to Apple to re-enable the useless 3G switch in the 4s.

TerraPhantm wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

I can repeat it again, slower, with smaller words.

You can force a 4s to only use Edge.

The 3G side of the chip will remain powered on, drawing power, so there is no battery advantage

Apple chose to reduce confusion by not having the switch that does mostly nothing in the UI, in the final release.

Send a suggestion to Apple to re-enable the useless 3G switch in the 4s.

29 of 42 (3,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2012 7:24:37 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by TerraPhantm on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:27:14 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

TerraPhantm wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

There is a world outside the United States. O2 UK, Vodaphone, Rogers, etc... all have the 3G toggle enabled. Doing some research, the only other GSM carriers I could find without the 3G toggle are some smaller European carriers that don't have a native 2G network (so forcing 2G would also be forcing roaming). In the case of those carriers, the setting is disabled on previous generation phones too. Ergo, the setting is controlled by the AT&T carrier file. I bet sending a custom ipcc would re-enable the toggle, unless it's one of those things that requires a valid signature.

iPhones running on CDMA don't have a disable 3G option, as it wouldn't really make sense in that context. 

wingrider01 wrote:

TerraPhantm wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

There is a world outside the United States. O2 UK, Vodaphone, Rogers, etc... all have the 3G toggle enabled. Doing some research, the only other GSM carriers I could find without the 3G toggle are some smaller European carriers that don't have a native 2G network (so forcing 2G would also be forcing roaming). In the case of those carriers, the setting is disabled on previous generation phones too. Ergo, the setting is controlled by the AT&T carrier file. I bet sending a custom ipcc would re-enable the toggle, unless it's one of those things that requires a valid signature.

iPhones running on CDMA don't have a disable 3G option, as it wouldn't really make sense in that context. 

[ Edited ]
30 of 42 (3,029 Views)