Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 13, 2011
10:10:05 AM
View profile
LTE Phone
Edited by drapetho on Oct 13, 2011 at 10:10:33 AM

So,

AT&T has LTE rolled out in several locations now.  Any chance there will be a phone or two available to use this network?  I can't bring myself to buy an HSPA+ since I know that it is already out of date with no hopes of future improvements.  Basically, I don't want to settle since I know the new stuff has to be coming soon. No clue why neither the Galaxy II nor the iPhone 4s are LTE.  Just seems dumb to launch with such a massive fanfaire and not really be worth the event.

So,

AT&T has LTE rolled out in several locations now.  Any chance there will be a phone or two available to use this network?  I can't bring myself to buy an HSPA+ since I know that it is already out of date with no hopes of future improvements.  Basically, I don't want to settle since I know the new stuff has to be coming soon. No clue why neither the Galaxy II nor the iPhone 4s are LTE.  Just seems dumb to launch with such a massive fanfaire and not really be worth the event.

LTE Phone

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 11:42:34 AM
(0)
Professor

They are supposed to launch some LTE smartphones by the end of the year.  I have heard that the first will be an HTC windows phone (just a rumor) with Android LTE phones shortly after.

They are supposed to launch some LTE smartphones by the end of the year.  I have heard that the first will be an HTC windows phone (just a rumor) with Android LTE phones shortly after.

Re: LTE Phone

2 of 4 (172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 6:57:07 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Ann154 on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:09:37 PM

FredW wrote:

I heard end of the year too.

Most recent article, I have read about them.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/atandts-ralph-de-la-vega-lte-phones-to-be-leaner-retain-charge/

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

FredW wrote:

I heard end of the year too.

Most recent article, I have read about them.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/atandts-ralph-de-la-vega-lte-phones-to-be-leaner-retain-charge/

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (161 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:02:21 PM
(0)
Guru

I think AT&T has LTE in 5 markets now - Chicago, Atlanta, & 3 cities in Texas. At this point, you would probably be hard pressed to differentiate LTE vs. HSPA+ vs. WiMax in real-world performance. In fact, PhoneArena did a test several months ago and couldn't discern appreciable differences betwen them (http://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-LTE-vs-T-Mobile-HSPA-vs-Sprint-WiMAX_id16416). In their tests, Sprint (WiMax) edged out T-Mobile (HSPA+), and both were slightly faster than Verizon (true LTE 4G). 

The Galaxy II & iPhone 4S aren't LTE because these early LTE chips are likely cumbersome, will drain your battery, run hot, and ultimately fail to deliver an optimal LTE experience. Additionally, some of the LTE chipset manufacturers are having problems manufacturing their next-gen LTE chips, so we may not see a wave of LTE devices until 3Q2012.

I think AT&T has LTE in 5 markets now - Chicago, Atlanta, & 3 cities in Texas. At this point, you would probably be hard pressed to differentiate LTE vs. HSPA+ vs. WiMax in real-world performance. In fact, PhoneArena did a test several months ago and couldn't discern appreciable differences betwen them (http://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-LTE-vs-T-Mobile-HSPA-vs-Sprint-WiMAX_id16416). In their tests, Sprint (WiMax) edged out T-Mobile (HSPA+), and both were slightly faster than Verizon (true LTE 4G). 

The Galaxy II & iPhone 4S aren't LTE because these early LTE chips are likely cumbersome, will drain your battery, run hot, and ultimately fail to deliver an optimal LTE experience. Additionally, some of the LTE chipset manufacturers are having problems manufacturing their next-gen LTE chips, so we may not see a wave of LTE devices until 3Q2012.

4 of 4 (159 Views)