Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 13, 2010
3:15:49 PM
LOYAL Customer

ATT important question for you:

I have been a loyal customer of ATT for around 12 years, And my question is:  Why is it I don't loyal customers get a lower rate when they want to upgrade a phone? I am thinking of upgrading to a Blackberry 9700 from a 9000. But phones are about 400.00 phones. but if I go to a store or online. I pay the same amount of 299.00 or 199.00 after mail in rebate's is the same price a NEW customer pays.  Give me a good reason to stay with ATT. Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular is starting to look better every day.

I have been a loyal customer of ATT for around 12 years, And my question is:  Why is it I don't loyal customers get a lower rate when they want to upgrade a phone? I am thinking of upgrading to a Blackberry 9700 from a 9000. But phones are about 400.00 phones. but if I go to a store or online. I pay the same amount of 299.00 or 199.00 after mail in rebate's is the same price a NEW customer pays.  Give me a good reason to stay with ATT. Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular is starting to look better every day.

LOYAL Customer

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 3:36:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

how's your service?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

how's your service?

Re: LOYAL Customer

2 of 14 (412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 3:40:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

Service is Fair, Like I said I was thinking of changing but, I keep thinking ATT will do something for their customers that have been with them for a long time.

Service is Fair, Like I said I was thinking of changing but, I keep thinking ATT will do something for their customers that have been with them for a long time.

3 of 14 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 3:43:34 PM
(0)
Guru

You DO get incentives for being a "loyal customer". I guarantee you won't be charged any upgrade fees. I guarantee if you added a line you won't have any activation fees & I KNOW if you waited until you're fully outta contract you'd get an additional discount off the price of the phone as well. The upgrade is just the standard 2yr pricing for the new phone THAT's ALL!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

You DO get incentives for being a "loyal customer". I guarantee you won't be charged any upgrade fees. I guarantee if you added a line you won't have any activation fees & I KNOW if you waited until you're fully outta contract you'd get an additional discount off the price of the phone as well. The upgrade is just the standard 2yr pricing for the new phone THAT's ALL!

4 of 14 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 3:45:50 PM
(0)
Professor

Workinmanmo wrote:

Bye!! its like that with every cellular Provider. 

Workinmanmo wrote:

Bye!! its like that with every cellular Provider. 

hello!!!

5 of 14 (406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 3:50:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have been told I was going to be charged a upgrade and activation fee.  And I am able to upgrade my phone now according to ATT and my cost is still 299.00/199.00.  I have in the past waited longer, and still pay the same amount as a new customer. I would like to see the info. you are talking about in writting.

I have been told I was going to be charged a upgrade and activation fee.  And I am able to upgrade my phone now according to ATT and my cost is still 299.00/199.00.  I have in the past waited longer, and still pay the same amount as a new customer. I would like to see the info. you are talking about in writting.

6 of 14 (399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 4:12:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

if you do get charged an upgrade fee all you need to do is call customer service and all you have to do it call and say pretty much what you put in the original post, the whole "loyal customer thing" and they would credit the upgrade fee, or if you call right now they would put a notation and say that it can be credited, as far as pricing on the phone, you would discuss that with whoever you're getting the phone from(premier, store, third part venders)  the price differs from each channel you go through, you might be able to go through a third party and get it cheaper. as far as this message board we can only speculate

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

if you do get charged an upgrade fee all you need to do is call customer service and all you have to do it call and say pretty much what you put in the original post, the whole "loyal customer thing" and they would credit the upgrade fee, or if you call right now they would put a notation and say that it can be credited, as far as pricing on the phone, you would discuss that with whoever you're getting the phone from(premier, store, third part venders)  the price differs from each channel you go through, you might be able to go through a third party and get it cheaper. as far as this message board we can only speculate

7 of 14 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 4:22:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for your input, but like I told you, I am a loyal customer to ATT. we have all cell phones, U-verse, home phones with ATT.  I always get my phones from a Corp. ATT store.

Thank you for your input, but like I told you, I am a loyal customer to ATT. we have all cell phones, U-verse, home phones with ATT.  I always get my phones from a Corp. ATT store.

Harold Clifton Pest Pro Services 314-808-2591

8 of 14 (385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 6:31:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

What is LOYAL anyway? I recently got my premium for insurance, it was the same as last year - and the year before.

Got a new car, been going to the same dealership - no special discount for me.

Why should ATT offer special incentives? I've been using the same bank forever, only one bank my entire life. Doesn't mean they reduce my overdraft fees.

After completing your contract ATT usually offers a additional $50 off - and a waived upgrade fee.

If you still don't upgrade, eventually they offer an additional $100 off - and a waived upgrade fee.

If you don't meet those requirements, then you get the same upgrade pricing as everyone else. Just because you are loyal doesn't mean that ATT doesn't have to put out a lot of money into the phone they are subsidizing for you.

What is LOYAL anyway? I recently got my premium for insurance, it was the same as last year - and the year before.

Why should ATT offer special incentives? I've been using the same bank forever, only one bank my entire life. Doesn't mean they reduce my overdraft fees.

After completing your contract ATT usually offers a additional $50 off - and a waived upgrade fee.

If you still don't upgrade, eventually they offer an additional $100 off - and a waived upgrade fee.

If you don't meet those requirements, then you get the same upgrade pricing as everyone else. Just because you are loyal doesn't mean that ATT doesn't have to put out a lot of money into the phone they are subsidizing for you.

9 of 14 (366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 7:21:27 AM
(0)
Guru

You already get a good discount. Just because you have been with the company for more than 12 years doesn't mean you should get better things than other people. There may be people with more time than you and they get the same price. Do they complain? Of course not, because they don't use the word "loyalty" as an excuse to get special benefits.

Researching will give you the price you want. Usually third parties like Amazon or Best Buy give better prices than AT&T stores or Customer Service.

Hope you find the price you want.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

You already get a good discount. Just because you have been with the company for more than 12 years doesn't mean you should get better things than other people. There may be people with more time than you and they get the same price. Do they complain? Of course not, because they don't use the word "loyalty" as an excuse to get special benefits.

Researching will give you the price you want. Usually third parties like Amazon or Best Buy give better prices than AT&T stores or Customer Service.

Hope you find the price you want.

10 of 14 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 8:28:36 AM
(0)
Professor

spmfox wrote:

We may not agree with it, but this is perhaps the best way of putting it. Because contracts are two years, AT&T doesn't look beyond that. Loyalty is about how much money you spend and paying your bill on time. The more loyal you are in regards to that, the sooner you get to upgrade, verses getting an additional discount. If you spend a higher amount of money, yet wait for the full two years before you upgrade, then you do get an additional discount. There is some loyalty discount there, it's just that long term for AT&T is doesn't go beyond the two contract years.

spmfox wrote:

We may not agree with it, but this is perhaps the best way of putting it. Because contracts are two years, AT&T doesn't look beyond that. Loyalty is about how much money you spend and paying your bill on time. The more loyal you are in regards to that, the sooner you get to upgrade, verses getting an additional discount. If you spend a higher amount of money, yet wait for the full two years before you upgrade, then you do get an additional discount. There is some loyalty discount there, it's just that long term for AT&T is doesn't go beyond the two contract years.

11 of 14 (247 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 9:57:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

Its all about numbers. Every company wants new customers because then they can boast that they have "40 million customer" or whatever. It not a matter of you paying ATT, its a matter of someone stopping to pay Verizon, for example. That being said a loyalty discount would be a nice thing...

Its all about numbers. Every company wants new customers because then they can boast that they have "40 million customer" or whatever. It not a matter of you paying ATT, its a matter of someone stopping to pay Verizon, for example. That being said a loyalty discount would be a nice thing...

12 of 14 (241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2010 9:22:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

The whole mobile phone service in the states is ridiculous. I understand that phone companies prefer new customers rather than existing ones re-signing but in the UK the phone companies quite some time ago realised they needed to keep existing customers happy and had a completely separate department (on Orange anyway) dealing with existing customers and upgrading. If you push hard enough you can get a lot of things for very little. Unfortunately the US is generally way behind with cell phones (except of course smart phones). 

The whole mobile phone service in the states is ridiculous. I understand that phone companies prefer new customers rather than existing ones re-signing but in the UK the phone companies quite some time ago realised they needed to keep existing customers happy and had a completely separate department (on Orange anyway) dealing with existing customers and upgrading. If you push hard enough you can get a lot of things for very little. Unfortunately the US is generally way behind with cell phones (except of course smart phones). 

13 of 14 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2010 12:14:35 AM
(0)
Guru

Oh no, I think we are probably behind in smartphones, too.  So many nice phones available in Europe and Asia that we never get.

Oh no, I think we are probably behind in smartphones, too.  So many nice phones available in Europe and Asia that we never get.

14 of 14 (195 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments