Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 28, 2009
9:35:21 AM
View profile
LINUX PPP AND APNs

We have a customer with a Ubuntu LINUX PPP application that wants to use the device as they travel the globe. The device uses a AT&T SIM and a Sierra Wireless 888 modem. Today the customer is US only and we use:

APN=ISP.CINGULAR

USERID=ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

PW=CINGULAR1

The question we have is do we need to change the login APN etc.. for each and every country? For example, the user travels to the UK and we query the network and detect  - MCC=234 (UK) and MNC=15 (Vodaphone) do I need to change my APN, USERID, and PASSWORD as follows:

APN=internet

USERID=web

PW=web (assume these are the correct credentials for UK Vodaphone)

Or will the AT&T credentials work? If they work is that only with roaming partners? If so, where can I get a list?

I am also concerned with countries such as Germany, Netherlands, etc.

Thank you,

Tom

We have a customer with a Ubuntu LINUX PPP application that wants to use the device as they travel the globe. The device uses a AT&T SIM and a Sierra Wireless 888 modem. Today the customer is US only and we use:

APN=ISP.CINGULAR

PW=CINGULAR1

The question we have is do we need to change the login APN etc.. for each and every country? For example, the user travels to the UK and we query the network and detect  - MCC=234 (UK) and MNC=15 (Vodaphone) do I need to change my APN, USERID, and PASSWORD as follows:

APN=internet

USERID=web

Or will the AT&T credentials work? If they work is that only with roaming partners? If so, where can I get a list?

Thank you,

Tom

LINUX PPP AND APNs

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2009 1:32:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

tbuttsflusa wrote:

APN=ISP.CINGULAR

PW=CINGULAR1

APN=internet

USERID=web

Thank you,

Tom

The credentials are specific to the SIM, not roaming partner. Unless you switch from AT&T SIM to a different SIM in UK those same credentials will work just as if you were in US (albeit at a completely different price). As long as AT&T lists roaming data as available here (select country and click details button) you should be fine.

tbuttsflusa wrote:

APN=ISP.CINGULAR

PW=CINGULAR1

APN=internet

USERID=web

Thank you,

Tom

The credentials are specific to the SIM, not roaming partner. Unless you switch from AT&T SIM to a different SIM in UK those same credentials will work just as if you were in US (albeit at a completely different price). As long as AT&T lists roaming data as available here (select country and click details button) you should be fine.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: LINUX PPP AND APNs

2 of 2 (2,407 Views)