Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 19, 2011
10:22:13 PM
View profile
LG Thrive and the $50 plan

I purchased an LG prime and hated it so I switched to the LG Thrive. apparently my SIM card was "locked" and could only work with the Prime so it didn't work in the Thrive when I switched. CS was nice and unlocked my SIM however now I cannot access my email unless I have a WIFI connection.... I guess I will have to sign up for a plan but then why am I paying $50/month for unlimited talk/ text/ data if I can't use data? Should I just sign up for the 10cts/min plan and just use an app like skype to make calls/ send txt? How much data do I need? what happens if you go over your data allowance? does the phone just stop accessing the net?

I purchased an LG prime and hated it so I switched to the LG Thrive. apparently my SIM card was "locked" and could only work with the Prime so it didn't work in the Thrive when I switched. CS was nice and unlocked my SIM however now I cannot access my email unless I have a WIFI connection.... I guess I will have to sign up for a plan but then why am I paying $50/month for unlimited talk/ text/ data if I can't use data? Should I just sign up for the 10cts/min plan and just use an app like skype to make calls/ send txt? How much data do I need? what happens if you go over your data allowance? does the phone just stop accessing the net?

LG Thrive and the $50 plan

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 10:08:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

frenchcandy wrote:

You cannot access the data portion of your plan because you are using the Thrive, AT&T's first and only prepaid smartphone. You will need to add a separate data package to use data services other than Wi-Fi.

It's up to you to choose which rate plan you want to be on. If you like your existing one, then stay with it. If you'd want to switch to the $0.10 a minute plan, go ahead if you want. If you're a heavy caller/texter, then I would recommend staying with your current $50 Unlimited plan.

How much data you need depends on how much you think your usage will turn out to be. If you're a light data user, you won't need a very large data package. If you're a heavier user that relies on the Internet/other apps as a part of your daily lifestyle, you might want to consider upgrading to a larger data package. Should you end up exceeding your data allotment, your phone will not connect to the data network anymore unless you have other funds in your account that the phone can use for data charges. Those data charges can get very expensive once your allowance is used up.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

frenchcandy wrote:

You cannot access the data portion of your plan because you are using the Thrive, AT&T's first and only prepaid smartphone. You will need to add a separate data package to use data services other than Wi-Fi.

It's up to you to choose which rate plan you want to be on. If you like your existing one, then stay with it. If you'd want to switch to the $0.10 a minute plan, go ahead if you want. If you're a heavy caller/texter, then I would recommend staying with your current $50 Unlimited plan.

How much data you need depends on how much you think your usage will turn out to be. If you're a light data user, you won't need a very large data package. If you're a heavier user that relies on the Internet/other apps as a part of your daily lifestyle, you might want to consider upgrading to a larger data package. Should you end up exceeding your data allotment, your phone will not connect to the data network anymore unless you have other funds in your account that the phone can use for data charges. Those data charges can get very expensive once your allowance is used up.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: LG Thrive and the $50 plan

2 of 8 (1,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 8:39:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
Wait, would the texting app and stuff work?
Or would it just be better to get the unlimited?
Wait, would the texting app and stuff work?
Or would it just be better to get the unlimited?

3 of 8 (1,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 8:49:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
It would, but I'm pretty sure you would need a data or Wi-Fi connection around to use it - something that is not available at all times. I think to use Skype, you need Wi-Fi or 3G data.

I would personally find the unlimited text plan better. If you're in an area where no data or Wi-Fi connection is present, you'd be out of luck. Because your phone is mobile, you can move around anywhere and most likely still get a signal using AT&T's network. You would not need Wi-Fi or data for this to send text messages.

It would, but I'm pretty sure you would need a data or Wi-Fi connection around to use it - something that is not available at all times. I think to use Skype, you need Wi-Fi or 3G data.

I would personally find the unlimited text plan better. If you're in an area where no data or Wi-Fi connection is present, you'd be out of luck. Because your phone is mobile, you can move around anywhere and most likely still get a signal using AT&T's network. You would not need Wi-Fi or data for this to send text messages.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2011 7:26:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

Oops, I meant would the calling thing work. My bad.

I have wifi,

that's why I was curious about the skype thing too.

Oops, I meant would the calling thing work. My bad.

I have wifi,

that's why I was curious about the skype thing too.

5 of 8 (1,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2011 7:57:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I'm pretty sure it would work. I'm not familiar with Skype, but I think, from what I've heard, it's an app sort of like Apple's FaceTime. More like a chat app. So instead of making calls, you've be having a virtual face-to-face conversation if you were to use it?

I'm pretty sure it would work. I'm not familiar with Skype, but I think, from what I've heard, it's an app sort of like Apple's FaceTime. More like a chat app. So instead of making calls, you've be having a virtual face-to-face conversation if you were to use it?

6 of 8 (1,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 8:42:05 AM
(0)
Teacher

I think you can choose whether or not you just call or use the face thing.

I think you can choose whether or not you just call or use the face thing.

7 of 8 (1,175 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 8:50:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Oh. Okay. As I mentioned earlier, I've never had any experience with Skype, so I wouldn't know. Smiley Tongue

Oh. Okay. As I mentioned earlier, I've never had any experience with Skype, so I wouldn't know. Smiley Tongue

8 of 8 (1,171 Views)