Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 15, 2010
2:54:50 PM
View profile
LG Quantum Tips and Tricks?

If you've bought the LG Quantum,

- What are your initial impressions?

- Is it as fast as everyone seems to say?

- Did you buy a larger memory card for it?

- Have you found any undocumented tips or tricks?

- Have you found any quirks or problems?

If you've bought the LG Quantum,

- What are your initial impressions?

- Is it as fast as everyone seems to say?

- Did you buy a larger memory card for it?

- Have you found any undocumented tips or tricks?

- Have you found any quirks or problems?

LG Quantum Tips and Tricks?

48 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(48)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2010 3:01:26 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by ParrotHead_FL on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:04:27 AM

I've used this phone for a couple of days now. I chose it because I wanted a WP7 phone with a keyboard.

Initial impressions... Overall, I'm pleased. I previously used a Tilt 2 phone, which had a lovely UI but was sluggish and buggy even after installing the latest software. The Quantum just plain works--it's fast and reliable. I had previously read a few reviews talking about slow load times for WP7 apps, but have concluded that that must be phone-specific because apps pop right up on my Quantum.

I haven't tried expanding its memory. Heck, I haven't yet figured out how to manage the memory that's built in. I have no clue how to see how much of it has been used and is free.  Smiley Happy

One beef I have is that it's not possible to turn off the shutter sound on the camera. This isn't a limitation of WP7; this is how LG designed the phone. I'd LOVE a hack for this. There are times (say, for example, a wedding) when you'd like to be able to snap a picture without the phone making noise.

Also, I'm having some trouble with battery life sucking. Last night I fully-charged my phone, and this morning--maybe 10 hours later--the battery was less than half-charged. My phone wasn't in use during that period; WiFi and Bluetooth were off, and the screen was turned off. I'm doing some experimenting to see if it's worse when e-mail push from Exchange is enabled.

I've used this phone for a couple of days now. I chose it because I wanted a WP7 phone with a keyboard.

Initial impressions... Overall, I'm pleased. I previously used a Tilt 2 phone, which had a lovely UI but was sluggish and buggy even after installing the latest software. The Quantum just plain works--it's fast and reliable. I had previously read a few reviews talking about slow load times for WP7 apps, but have concluded that that must be phone-specific because apps pop right up on my Quantum.

I haven't tried expanding its memory. Heck, I haven't yet figured out how to manage the memory that's built in. I have no clue how to see how much of it has been used and is free.  Smiley Happy

One beef I have is that it's not possible to turn off the shutter sound on the camera. This isn't a limitation of WP7; this is how LG designed the phone. I'd LOVE a hack for this. There are times (say, for example, a wedding) when you'd like to be able to snap a picture without the phone making noise.

Also, I'm having some trouble with battery life sucking. Last night I fully-charged my phone, and this morning--maybe 10 hours later--the battery was less than half-charged. My phone wasn't in use during that period; WiFi and Bluetooth were off, and the screen was turned off. I'm doing some experimenting to see if it's worse when e-mail push from Exchange is enabled.

Re: LG Quantum Tips and Tricks?

[ Edited ]
2 of 49 (8,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2010 12:55:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

• Expanding Memory? - The 16GB of memory is Fixed.  There isn't a way to expand it due to potential Win7 Issues with MicroSd Cards.
  • Battery Life?  I would try to condition the Battery by Draining it and then doing a full uninterupted Charge... This should help

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

• Expanding Memory? - The 16GB of memory is Fixed.  There isn't a way to expand it due to potential Win7 Issues with MicroSd Cards.
  • Battery Life?  I would try to condition the Battery by Draining it and then doing a full uninterupted Charge... This should help

3 of 49 (8,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 4:37:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

Does the battery reconditioning trick still work? It seems like I read somewhere that newer batteries don't need that the way older ones did.

I had always been taught not to charge a battery until it was just about completely discharged. Then to have the phone turned off while charging. Don't know if those old tips are still valid.

Does the battery reconditioning trick still work? It seems like I read somewhere that newer batteries don't need that the way older ones did.

I had always been taught not to charge a battery until it was just about completely discharged. Then to have the phone turned off while charging. Don't know if those old tips are still valid.

4 of 49 (8,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2010 4:37:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

Let me add one more thing about this phone.

I don't know if all WP7 phones are designed this way, or if it's up to the manufacturer, but the LG Quantum has no indicator lights on it. In other words, you can't look at your phone and tell if you missed a call, have voicemail waiting, have a text message, etc. without turning the screen on. It would've been great for there to be a tiny LED that could flash if any of these conditions were true.

I don't know if all WP7 phones are designed this way, or if it's up to the manufacturer, but the LG Quantum has no indicator lights on it. In other words, you can't look at your phone and tell if you missed a call, have voicemail waiting, have a text message, etc. without turning the screen on. It would've been great for there to be a tiny LED that could flash if any of these conditions were true.

5 of 49 (8,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 1:18:54 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by ccarrara on Nov 23, 2010 at 1:20:24 PM

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

Might be a Win 7 thing, I have the same problem with the Samsung Focus on win 7. 

Also, the battery draining may be a Win 7 thing.  My Samsung Focus sometimes lasts 2 days, sometimes lasts 12 hours on a full charge.  I too have BT OFF, and WiFi OFF.  Not sure what's sometimes making it drain like a sink.

Regarding the battery charging:  That's all really outdated stuff.  No need to completely drain the battery, no affect on not doing so, no need to "condition" the battery anymore.  That was the case for NiCAD batteries which are no longer used on phones.  Most if not all new phones use LiON bat's that do not have those issues. 

Regards

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

Might be a Win 7 thing, I have the same problem with the Samsung Focus on win 7. 

Also, the battery draining may be a Win 7 thing.  My Samsung Focus sometimes lasts 2 days, sometimes lasts 12 hours on a full charge.  I too have BT OFF, and WiFi OFF.  Not sure what's sometimes making it drain like a sink.

Regarding the battery charging:  That's all really outdated stuff.  No need to completely drain the battery, no affect on not doing so, no need to "condition" the battery anymore.  That was the case for NiCAD batteries which are no longer used on phones.  Most if not all new phones use LiON bat's that do not have those issues. 

[ Edited ]
6 of 49 (8,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 3:17:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

Through some experimenting, I found that having the phone check my POP e-mail account regularly appears to have been the source of the drain. I disabled that (changed it to manual sync), and started getting much better battery life.

Through some experimenting, I found that having the phone check my POP e-mail account regularly appears to have been the source of the drain. I disabled that (changed it to manual sync), and started getting much better battery life.

7 of 49 (8,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2010 5:06:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by joanzen on Nov 27, 2010 at 5:08:31 PM

I've owned the Quantum for a few days now.  Initial impressions are very positive.  The 1ghz processor does seem to be as fast as I'd read.  I have no complaints at all with the responsiveness. 

The touchscreen is bright and very sharp. 

I agree completely with the complaint about the camera shutter sound.  How is it possible that they don't provide a way to turn that off?

I suppose they are trying to keep the screen 'clean' by turning off the bars and battery strength indicators.  You do get the bars back on the dialer screen.  I haven't discovered a way to get the battery strength to display except on the initial screen.  I'd like the option of keeping both around. 

I really like the keyboard, but some of the UI doesn't seem optimized for use with the keyboard in landscape mode.

I've been an iPod fan since the beginning.  No prior experience with the Zune, but I have to say that I'm enjoying it. 

I seriously considered an iPhone 4, but thought I'd jump in to something new.  So far, even though in places this seems like a 1.0 version, it's been a good experience.

I've owned the Quantum for a few days now.  Initial impressions are very positive.  The 1ghz processor does seem to be as fast as I'd read.  I have no complaints at all with the responsiveness. 

The touchscreen is bright and very sharp. 

I agree completely with the complaint about the camera shutter sound.  How is it possible that they don't provide a way to turn that off?

I suppose they are trying to keep the screen 'clean' by turning off the bars and battery strength indicators.  You do get the bars back on the dialer screen.  I haven't discovered a way to get the battery strength to display except on the initial screen.  I'd like the option of keeping both around. 

I really like the keyboard, but some of the UI doesn't seem optimized for use with the keyboard in landscape mode.

I've been an iPod fan since the beginning.  No prior experience with the Zune, but I have to say that I'm enjoying it. 

I seriously considered an iPhone 4, but thought I'd jump in to something new.  So far, even though in places this seems like a 1.0 version, it's been a good experience.

[ Edited ]
8 of 49 (7,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 9:45:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Swipe down at the very top of of any screen for the bars and batter icon.

Swipe down at the very top of of any screen for the bars and batter icon.

9 of 49 (7,778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 3:17:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am very interested in trick or hacks. I have had the phone for about a week now and switched to this from the tilt2. Over at pocketnow.com they have some little tricks for wp7.

I like the phone and like an earlier poster, chose this phone because of the slide out keyboard. What I am really interested in concerns files and email, mainly. I downloaded Adobe and can receive PDF's but I want to be able to send PDF's and the feature that only allows you to send one Word attachment at a time is annoying. I want a way to do this.

The GPS is great, better than any other phone that I have had, but it sometimes gets stuck with an overhead view instead of just a map. As for the Zune features, I have not put my music on but I have had zunes for a couple of years now. I will see in the next week or so if this is as good as a zune. I preferred the Zune to an ipod because you did not have to convert formats, if it played on my laptop, it played on my Zune.

I wish that Microsoft had released the source code earlier to developers because that is the one constant annoyance, lack of common apps. While I can deal with the included browser, I loved an app called Glympse. For those not familiar, check it out. I am hoping that there is a version for WP7 soon. I thought when I read about the phone I would have problems from not having a file explorer but so far that has not been an issue. 

I have heard there is already a hack to enable tethering, but this is not something I am interested in, and I hear there is a great chance of bricking the phone. 

I am very interested in trick or hacks. I have had the phone for about a week now and switched to this from the tilt2. Over at pocketnow.com they have some little tricks for wp7.

I like the phone and like an earlier poster, chose this phone because of the slide out keyboard. What I am really interested in concerns files and email, mainly. I downloaded Adobe and can receive PDF's but I want to be able to send PDF's and the feature that only allows you to send one Word attachment at a time is annoying. I want a way to do this.

The GPS is great, better than any other phone that I have had, but it sometimes gets stuck with an overhead view instead of just a map. As for the Zune features, I have not put my music on but I have had zunes for a couple of years now. I will see in the next week or so if this is as good as a zune. I preferred the Zune to an ipod because you did not have to convert formats, if it played on my laptop, it played on my Zune.

I wish that Microsoft had released the source code earlier to developers because that is the one constant annoyance, lack of common apps. While I can deal with the included browser, I loved an app called Glympse. For those not familiar, check it out. I am hoping that there is a version for WP7 soon. I thought when I read about the phone I would have problems from not having a file explorer but so far that has not been an issue. 

I have heard there is already a hack to enable tethering, but this is not something I am interested in, and I hear there is a great chance of bricking the phone. 

10 of 49 (7,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 4:57:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

A lot of app developers are taking a wait-and-see approach with WP7. This is a mistake; WP7 is getting great reviews, and is likely to be a hit. Progressive app developers will go ahead and get their apps out now rather than waiting. For our part as WP7 users, we can contact developers to let them know we're here and we want WP7 versions of their apps. I've been doing that as I come across apps I'm interested in that have no WP7 versions.

That said, the apps I use most frequently (things like GasBuddy, FourSquare, Twitter, Facebook) are all out for WP7. There are currently over 3,500 apps available, and the list is growing daily.

A lot of app developers are taking a wait-and-see approach with WP7. This is a mistake; WP7 is getting great reviews, and is likely to be a hit. Progressive app developers will go ahead and get their apps out now rather than waiting. For our part as WP7 users, we can contact developers to let them know we're here and we want WP7 versions of their apps. I've been doing that as I come across apps I'm interested in that have no WP7 versions.

That said, the apps I use most frequently (things like GasBuddy, FourSquare, Twitter, Facebook) are all out for WP7. There are currently over 3,500 apps available, and the list is growing daily.

11 of 49 (5,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 11:07:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've had the phone for a couple weeks and have mostly positive things to say about it.  I've had BB, Pre, and a Droid so I've got a lot to comare it to.  The Quantum is easily the fastest and least buggy of the smart phones I've used.  Everything is pretty easy to figure out and set up.   The screen is great and the unit itself is solid and well built. 

The biggest problem I have is the lack of a new-message notification light (see below). 

Other issues I have are:

A lack of a universal inbox.  Each email account has to have it's own icon.  The universal message center on the Droid is great. 

Lack of new message reminders - there should be an optional setting to repeat an audible notification every so often until a message is viewed, 

Lack of control over desktop icons.  You can add and remove at will, but the icons are HUGE and beyond color you are stuck with these huge graphics.  Personally I'd rather have smaller icons and a visible wallpaper. 

Individually these aren't huge issues, and I'd trade `em all for a notification light: 

ParrotHead_FL wrote: ...the LG Quantum has no indicator lights on it. In other words, you can't look at your phone and tell if you missed a call, have voicemail waiting, have a text message, etc. without turning the screen on. It would've been great for there to be a tiny LED that could flash if any of these conditions were true.

I agree - this is a big deal for me.  I've seen some apps for other phones that attempt to address it but nothing concrete for the Quantum.  Does anyone know of a solution available or pending?  Any chance they may offer something in the future? 

I've had the phone for a couple weeks and have mostly positive things to say about it.  I've had BB, Pre, and a Droid so I've got a lot to comare it to.  The Quantum is easily the fastest and least buggy of the smart phones I've used.  Everything is pretty easy to figure out and set up.   The screen is great and the unit itself is solid and well built. 

The biggest problem I have is the lack of a new-message notification light (see below). 

Other issues I have are:

A lack of a universal inbox.  Each email account has to have it's own icon.  The universal message center on the Droid is great. 

Lack of new message reminders - there should be an optional setting to repeat an audible notification every so often until a message is viewed, 

Lack of control over desktop icons.  You can add and remove at will, but the icons are HUGE and beyond color you are stuck with these huge graphics.  Personally I'd rather have smaller icons and a visible wallpaper. 

Individually these aren't huge issues, and I'd trade `em all for a notification light: 

ParrotHead_FL wrote: ...the LG Quantum has no indicator lights on it. In other words, you can't look at your phone and tell if you missed a call, have voicemail waiting, have a text message, etc. without turning the screen on. It would've been great for there to be a tiny LED that could flash if any of these conditions were true.

I agree - this is a big deal for me.  I've seen some apps for other phones that attempt to address it but nothing concrete for the Quantum.  Does anyone know of a solution available or pending?  Any chance they may offer something in the future? 

12 of 49 (5,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 12:19:14 PM
(0)
Voyager

My wife loves her phone....me not so much since it appears to use mystery 3G data 1:00a in the morning when it is not being used and has wifi available.  My son's Samsung Focus doesn't seem to have this issue. 

My wife loves her phone....me not so much since it appears to use mystery 3G data 1:00a in the morning when it is not being used and has wifi available.  My son's Samsung Focus doesn't seem to have this issue. 

13 of 49 (5,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 11:10:24 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Caretaker on Dec 28, 2010 at 11:45:47 AM

I have had the phone for about 10 days now. Here is a short list of things I am not happy with.

1. I have to go through a maze just to make a phone call.

2. I can't set a home page for the IE. Nearly every time I go online it go to the page for the quantum. the same page they use to try to sell you one. News flash I already have a Quntum you don't need to keep trying to sell me one.

3. When the phone has an incoming call and you were doing something and the screen locks, you dang near have to do the hookie pookie to get it to start working. You push the keyboard in, you pull the keyboard out. you push the keyboard in and you shake it all about. All this while the phone is ringing and your trying to answer it before voice mail kicks in.

4. Why can I stop the music player? Sure you can pause it.

5. The GPS at times is miles of from my location. I really don't like the George Orwell fuction on this phone.

6. Some times it calls the wrong person and it won't let me get back out before the call goes through.

7. it seams the screen does not really want to work when you use your left hand.

I feel that this whole system is only half finished before you went in to production.

Mark { Personal information removed }

Orlando FL

I have had the phone for about 10 days now. Here is a short list of things I am not happy with.

1. I have to go through a maze just to make a phone call.

2. I can't set a home page for the IE. Nearly every time I go online it go to the page for the quantum. the same page they use to try to sell you one. News flash I already have a Quntum you don't need to keep trying to sell me one.

3. When the phone has an incoming call and you were doing something and the screen locks, you dang near have to do the hookie pookie to get it to start working. You push the keyboard in, you pull the keyboard out. you push the keyboard in and you shake it all about. All this while the phone is ringing and your trying to answer it before voice mail kicks in.

4. Why can I stop the music player? Sure you can pause it.

5. The GPS at times is miles of from my location. I really don't like the George Orwell fuction on this phone.

6. Some times it calls the wrong person and it won't let me get back out before the call goes through.

7. it seams the screen does not really want to work when you use your left hand.

I feel that this whole system is only half finished before you went in to production.

Mark { Personal information removed }

Orlando FL

Re: LG Quantum. Plenty of things I am not happy with

[ Edited ]
14 of 49 (5,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 11:40:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

1. How so? I just push the "phone" button on the home screen

2. From what I can tell, it's not possible to set an IE homepage. Whenever I launch IE, it always brings up the last page(s) I had open. However, you can pin URLs to your home screen--so just pin the URL of whatever website you want to be your homepage to your home screen and use that to launch IE.

3. No experience with this one--I don't recall getting a call while in the middle of using the phone for something else.

4. I don't understand this question. You're saying you can't stop, but you can pause?

5. I haven't had this issue so far. Is this in any one particular app?

6. Haven't experienced this one personally.

7. Haven't experienced this one personally.

WP7 has, as I understand it, two updates lined up to be pushed out in the near future. I'm not sure whether these will address some of your concerns (Microsoft has kept quiet about the details). But I've had my LG Quantum for over a month now, and am as happy with it as a pig in mud. WP7 being so new, I expected more glitches--like weird errors or the need to restart the phone. Haven't had them, though. My phone... Well, it just plain WORKS!  :-)

1. How so? I just push the "phone" button on the home screen

2. From what I can tell, it's not possible to set an IE homepage. Whenever I launch IE, it always brings up the last page(s) I had open. However, you can pin URLs to your home screen--so just pin the URL of whatever website you want to be your homepage to your home screen and use that to launch IE.

3. No experience with this one--I don't recall getting a call while in the middle of using the phone for something else.

4. I don't understand this question. You're saying you can't stop, but you can pause?

5. I haven't had this issue so far. Is this in any one particular app?

6. Haven't experienced this one personally.

7. Haven't experienced this one personally.

WP7 has, as I understand it, two updates lined up to be pushed out in the near future. I'm not sure whether these will address some of your concerns (Microsoft has kept quiet about the details). But I've had my LG Quantum for over a month now, and am as happy with it as a pig in mud. WP7 being so new, I expected more glitches--like weird errors or the need to restart the phone. Haven't had them, though. My phone... Well, it just plain WORKS!  :-)

15 of 49 (5,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 5:46:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

I saw the response that you had been able to download adobe and play PDF's.  When I access adobe to download the flash player, I get the response that no flash player is available for the LG Quantum. It's for my wife's phone -- and some attachments won't open without it.  Suggestions?

nolaman wrote:

I saw the response that you had been able to download adobe and play PDF's.  When I access adobe to download the flash player, I get the response that no flash player is available for the LG Quantum. It's for my wife's phone -- and some attachments won't open without it.  Suggestions?

nolaman wrote:

16 of 49 (5,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 6:53:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've had a quantum for 5 days now, my previous phone is the Tilt 2 (and original Tilt before that).

Initial impressions:

The good:

- fast CPU and graphics, lots of memory (~14gb free after initial setup)

- Many apps available for it now.

- new versions of office apps are very nice compared to Tilt 2

- touch interface is good and smooth

- using the Zune software to sync music, photos, video is nice, since I already have a zune 30 and a lot of media

- size is very nice

- slide out keyboard is ok

- dedicated camera button is handy, camera has a bright led flash 

- battery life seems reasonable.

- WP7 in general is pretty easy to use

The not so good, hardware-wise:

- screen is slightly smaller than the Tilt 2, but still a nice size

- slide out keyboard is bad when compared to the Tilt 2 - the tilt 2 has the best keyboard ever.

- wifi sometimes doesn't want to connect to my home network

The not so good, OS-wise:

- I find the phone controls annoying - having dedicated phone buttons on the Tilt 2 is much better.

- Home screen email accounts - show new messages since the last time you opened email, NOT how many new messages you have.  I find this annoying.  I would rather see how many unread messages there are.

- no tethering or wi-fi sharing....yet - maybe with a future OS update

- no copy and paste, handy but not a deal breaker

- no task switching like the Tilt 2 has - I love the icon in the upper right that shows a list of all running apps.

- My company has just decided to start using skype for IM.  No skype client for WP7.

- No easy way to enable/disable wifi, bluetooth, other than going through several menus to get to settings

- in general, a lot less configurable items than previous windows mobile platform

- no flash support, yet

I've had a quantum for 5 days now, my previous phone is the Tilt 2 (and original Tilt before that).

Initial impressions:

The good:

- fast CPU and graphics, lots of memory (~14gb free after initial setup)

- Many apps available for it now.

- new versions of office apps are very nice compared to Tilt 2

- touch interface is good and smooth

- using the Zune software to sync music, photos, video is nice, since I already have a zune 30 and a lot of media

- size is very nice

- slide out keyboard is ok

- dedicated camera button is handy, camera has a bright led flash 

- battery life seems reasonable.

- WP7 in general is pretty easy to use

The not so good, hardware-wise:

- screen is slightly smaller than the Tilt 2, but still a nice size

- slide out keyboard is bad when compared to the Tilt 2 - the tilt 2 has the best keyboard ever.

- wifi sometimes doesn't want to connect to my home network

The not so good, OS-wise:

- I find the phone controls annoying - having dedicated phone buttons on the Tilt 2 is much better.

- Home screen email accounts - show new messages since the last time you opened email, NOT how many new messages you have.  I find this annoying.  I would rather see how many unread messages there are.

- no tethering or wi-fi sharing....yet - maybe with a future OS update

- no copy and paste, handy but not a deal breaker

- no task switching like the Tilt 2 has - I love the icon in the upper right that shows a list of all running apps.

- My company has just decided to start using skype for IM.  No skype client for WP7.

- No easy way to enable/disable wifi, bluetooth, other than going through several menus to get to settings

- in general, a lot less configurable items than previous windows mobile platform

- no flash support, yet

17 of 49 (5,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 6:01:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

smcb wrote:

Hopefully Microsoft will make this configurable in the future so that users can choose. I actually prefer the current method--seeing only the number of new messages since I last opened the app. That's more useful to me, since I may choose to leave some messages in my mailbox unread and don't need them included in the count on my home screen.

smcb wrote:

Hopefully Microsoft will make this configurable in the future so that users can choose. I actually prefer the current method--seeing only the number of new messages since I last opened the app. That's more useful to me, since I may choose to leave some messages in my mailbox unread and don't need them included in the count on my home screen.

18 of 49 (5,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2011 5:21:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hey I got to say after running windows phones for years it was a great to see a phone as slick as this one.  WIN 7 is a sleeper system that may have come to the party too late, but for me I'm similing.  MS opening the door on apps is catching up quickly. I guess the sleeping giant has awakened! 

Hey I got to say after running windows phones for years it was a great to see a phone as slick as this one.  WIN 7 is a sleeper system that may have come to the party too late, but for me I'm similing.  MS opening the door on apps is catching up quickly. I guess the sleeping giant has awakened! 

19 of 49 (4,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2011 7:16:24 PM
(0)
Mentor

My feeling as well.

My feeling as well.

20 of 49 (4,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 9:18:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have had my Quantum for a couple weeks and finding it can do a lot more then you think.. as for you questions I will try and give you what I have found as solutions..

1. You can pin your favorite contacts to your home screen for quick calling or texting (also voice option is very good on this phone, just hold the start button and say "Dial XXXX"..

2. GO to what ever you want to be your homepage and again just Pin it to the home screen and it's always ready to go (When at your page just tap the three dots on lower right side and options will pop up, choose pine to home screen)

3. Never had this happen to me, always works as it should..

4. It is like the iPhone's music player, pause is the same as Stop. 

5. GPS has been flawless for me sorry can't help there..

6. When ever I make a call the "End Call" comes up right away, yours isn't??

7. Really confused with this one, works fine either righty or lefty.

I do agree WP7 mustn't have been completely finished at release but hopefully the update due out any day now will bring it up to snuff... hopefully there will be more updates throughout the year..  All in all I do like this phone better then the iPhone or Androids..  If you go over to the windows phone 7 forum at Microsoft you will learn lots of cool things this phone can do.. Lots of tricks and shortcuts.. 

I have had my Quantum for a couple weeks and finding it can do a lot more then you think.. as for you questions I will try and give you what I have found as solutions..

1. You can pin your favorite contacts to your home screen for quick calling or texting (also voice option is very good on this phone, just hold the start button and say "Dial XXXX"..

2. GO to what ever you want to be your homepage and again just Pin it to the home screen and it's always ready to go (When at your page just tap the three dots on lower right side and options will pop up, choose pine to home screen)

3. Never had this happen to me, always works as it should..

4. It is like the iPhone's music player, pause is the same as Stop. 

5. GPS has been flawless for me sorry can't help there..

6. When ever I make a call the "End Call" comes up right away, yours isn't??

7. Really confused with this one, works fine either righty or lefty.

I do agree WP7 mustn't have been completely finished at release but hopefully the update due out any day now will bring it up to snuff... hopefully there will be more updates throughout the year..  All in all I do like this phone better then the iPhone or Androids..  If you go over to the windows phone 7 forum at Microsoft you will learn lots of cool things this phone can do.. Lots of tricks and shortcuts.. 

21 of 49 (3,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 7:32:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

Update: it did #6 on your list today lol...

Reason is WP7 converges your facebook and other social networks into your People file and sometimes and I have no idea why the phone number can get screwed up.. My guess is FB has a place where people enter their phone numbers and if they never update it and have changed their number you end up calling whoever has that number now.... I keep my numbers off FB myself..

Update: it did #6 on your list today lol...

Reason is WP7 converges your facebook and other social networks into your People file and sometimes and I have no idea why the phone number can get screwed up.. My guess is FB has a place where people enter their phone numbers and if they never update it and have changed their number you end up calling whoever has that number now.... I keep my numbers off FB myself..

22 of 49 (3,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 2:21:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

You can configure the phone so that FB friends don't show up in your contact list.

Although even so, when I use SMS and start to type a name, WP7 makes suggestions based on my FB friends who have entered cell numbers in their FB profile--even though they're not in my contacts.

You can configure the phone so that FB friends don't show up in your contact list.

Although even so, when I use SMS and start to type a name, WP7 makes suggestions based on my FB friends who have entered cell numbers in their FB profile--even though they're not in my contacts.

23 of 49 (3,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2011 9:54:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

I haven't had this happen.  I only sync my contacts from GMAIL and keep a nice, tidy list there and only there and the contacts on my phone match perfectly.  It's very customizable and easy - including photos. 

Can't wait for the Quantum update.  I sure hope they install a notification light.  That would make my day. 

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

I haven't had this happen.  I only sync my contacts from GMAIL and keep a nice, tidy list there and only there and the contacts on my phone match perfectly.  It's very customizable and easy - including photos. 

Can't wait for the Quantum update.  I sure hope they install a notification light.  That would make my day. 

24 of 49 (3,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 5:45:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

Not sure how they can do a notification light since there isn't a light on the phone for this BUT I have been sending suggestions into the WP7 forum and to Microsoft to add Notification tones that can be set by the user(say every 30 seconds to 2 minutes) for missed phone calls, texts and emails...  This is a must because if you miss the initial tone your screwed and for the business world I would think it is essential...

Not sure how they can do a notification light since there isn't a light on the phone for this BUT I have been sending suggestions into the WP7 forum and to Microsoft to add Notification tones that can be set by the user(say every 30 seconds to 2 minutes) for missed phone calls, texts and emails...  This is a must because if you miss the initial tone your screwed and for the business world I would think it is essential...

25 of 49 (3,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 6:07:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

I agree that the tones would be great for mixed messages, calls, etc.  But I do believe that there is a little light or something about 1/4" to the right of the AT&T logo at the top of the face of the phone.  Maybe it's a sensor or something, but it looks like it could be a light.  My hope is that it would blink when there is a missed call or something.  I had a Palm Pre last year.  It came out without a notification light, but they pushed an update that installed it. 

If not, then have as an option, something displaying when the screensaver is locked - just so you don't have to activate.  You need to know by looking at a dormant phone if you have a message.   

I agree that the tones would be great for mixed messages, calls, etc.  But I do believe that there is a little light or something about 1/4" to the right of the AT&T logo at the top of the face of the phone.  Maybe it's a sensor or something, but it looks like it could be a light.  My hope is that it would blink when there is a missed call or something.  I had a Palm Pre last year.  It came out without a notification light, but they pushed an update that installed it. 

If not, then have as an option, something displaying when the screensaver is locked - just so you don't have to activate.  You need to know by looking at a dormant phone if you have a message.   

26 of 49 (3,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2011 12:48:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

In general, I like my new LG Quantum.  To me, the most annoying feature is that, when using the Internet Explorer, it does not appear that you can quickly go back to a previous webpage.  Is there no way to go "back" or "forward" like on a normal Internet browser?

In general, I like my new LG Quantum.  To me, the most annoying feature is that, when using the Internet Explorer, it does not appear that you can quickly go back to a previous webpage.  Is there no way to go "back" or "forward" like on a normal Internet browser?

27 of 49 (3,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 10:50:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

markwadsworth wrote:

This is a great description of a different issue that I am having. Sometimes (not always), when I pull the phone away from my face the screen only comes on for a microsecond... not nearly enough time for me to press the end call button. At that point, I too dang near have to do the hookie pookie to get the screen to come back on. I push the keyboard in, I pull the keyboard out. I push the keyboard in and you shake all about. All the while the person to whom I was just leaving a voicemail message hears me cursing at my phone. :-)

I did return my phone and get a brand new replacement. It hasn't made a difference. There are certainly some other quirks and missing features, but this is THE ONLY ONE that really has be questioning whether I want to keep the phone.

markwadsworth wrote:

This is a great description of a different issue that I am having. Sometimes (not always), when I pull the phone away from my face the screen only comes on for a microsecond... not nearly enough time for me to press the end call button. At that point, I too dang near have to do the hookie pookie to get the screen to come back on. I push the keyboard in, I pull the keyboard out. I push the keyboard in and you shake all about. All the while the person to whom I was just leaving a voicemail message hears me cursing at my phone. :-)

I did return my phone and get a brand new replacement. It hasn't made a difference. There are certainly some other quirks and missing features, but this is THE ONLY ONE that really has be questioning whether I want to keep the phone.

28 of 49 (2,994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 7:22:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
IE actually will go back and forth, if you hit the back button (bottom left button or touch arrow) it will go back to the previous webpage you came from, if you have gone back and want to go forward to a page you were at if you tap on the three periods (...) at the bottom right of your screen it will bring up the options for "Forward", Share Page, Fin on Page, Pin to Start and Settings.
There are a lot of little tricks to this phone I have been finding..

Adavici, I believe that dot is actually the sensor for the auto light adjustment.
IE actually will go back and forth, if you hit the back button (bottom left button or touch arrow) it will go back to the previous webpage you came from, if you have gone back and want to go forward to a page you were at if you tap on the three periods (...) at the bottom right of your screen it will bring up the options for "Forward", Share Page, Fin on Page, Pin to Start and Settings.
There are a lot of little tricks to this phone I have been finding..

Adavici, I believe that dot is actually the sensor for the auto light adjustment.

29 of 49 (2,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 7:34:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
I forgot to add, 2 great places to learn more about what these phones are capable of is the Windows Phone 7 social discussions forum at Microsoft and Windows Mobile Phone Power User's site (wmpoweruser.com)..

Markwadsworth, if you tilt your phone down as if looking at it in front if yourself the screen doesn't light up showing the "End Call" touch button?? Always works for me..

One last thing, seems Feb. 7th will be the date for the big WP7 update with Copy and Paste, faster app loading and a bunch of other improvements and options... I sure hope multiple notifications for missed calls and texts is included with this update, to nm that's my biggest complaint about this phone, other then that I and really enjoying it..
I forgot to add, 2 great places to learn more about what these phones are capable of is the Windows Phone 7 social discussions forum at Microsoft and Windows Mobile Phone Power User's site (wmpoweruser.com)..

Markwadsworth, if you tilt your phone down as if looking at it in front if yourself the screen doesn't light up showing the "End Call" touch button?? Always works for me..

One last thing, seems Feb. 7th will be the date for the big WP7 update with Copy and Paste, faster app loading and a bunch of other improvements and options... I sure hope multiple notifications for missed calls and texts is included with this update, to nm that's my biggest complaint about this phone, other then that I and really enjoying it..

30 of 49 (2,967 Views)