Ask a question

Posted Jan 14, 2010
    5:35:29 PM
    View profile
    LG Neon + accidental browser button presses

I recently got a family plan with an iPhone and a LG Neon.  The iPhone has a data plan obviously, but the LG Neon does not as it's for my mother in law that can barely figure out how to send a picture message let alone surf the net.

The problem is the bit AT&T logo'd browser button in the middle of the keys which is far too easy to inadvertently hit.  Even if you press it and immediately hit the end button to cancel it, it will still result in at least 1kb of usage.  That translates to a minimum of at least $2/month and odds are, $24/year.

I called customer service to find out why it's so easy to get these charges, and the rep informed me that even though I have unlimited messaging on my family plan, that I can still get charged if pictures are over a certain size. Huh?  After I asked to see that in writing and pointed out that the charges in question were simply .02 MB used, he then said I would have to opt out of the internet.  Well that won't work because half the point of the messaging is for pictures!  I have used virtually all the major carriers and have not had this issue before and I really don't want to pay more than I already am.

I don't necessary blame AT&T because I think it's largely a poor phone design (or great one if you're not the consumer :smileyhappy:) but I need a solution that isn't going to break half of what I'm paying for.  Hopefully some setting or something I can tweak on the phone to make it near impossible to attempt an internet log in.  I highly doubt my suggestion for first .25/mb month go uncharged will be heard by anyone but the rep, so I'm relying on the community. 

Thanks!!

LG Neon + accidental browser button presses

11 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (11)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 14, 2010 6:59:55 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

You CAN incur additional data charges for sending/receiving pictures if they exceed the 600 kb limit. So what you were told is a TRUE statement.

Yes, the MEdia Net buttons are very easy to access. Accidentally hitting that button, even though you disconnect right away, will still incur a minimal charge. Since you don't want to have MEdia Net blocked, due to your Messaging Plan and wanting to send/receive MMS, I would suggest that the person using it should be VERY careful as to not accidentally press it. Otherwise, you CAN have MEdia Net blocked but obviously you don't want to do that since you ARE paying for the Messaging Plan.

Personally, I'm not sure of any other way to block it without also blocking your MMS.

You can also check this thread and see if it helps in any way.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: LG Neon + accidental browser button presses

2 of 12 (8,318 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 2, 2010 4:39:09 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I moved to AT&T in August and have been getting these changes also.  The 1st time I called they gave me a credit and was told they we needed to be more careful.  I have been able to "be more careful" because my phone goes in my purse.  Unlike my sons and husbands that go in their pocket.  Yes the key pads are locked but with the type of phone they have a full front push will unlock the phone and activate the browser.  The 2nd time I called was told I could discontinue the data portion of my plan but then we could not send pictures, well that's the phone of the phone.  BTW this could not actually be done anyway according to my local Cell Phone Store.  Since I am on a family plan it can not be done.  My local store also said they have gotten this complaint numerous time and have relayed this to the AT&T Reps, but there is nothing to do about it.

So we are back to being "carefully" and utility paying $2 to $6 extra each month, depending on who is slow on catching that the button was hit.  I am not happy with this out come.  My husband is thinking about reactivating my old T-Mobil flip phone so he can put it in his pocket.  Or should AT&T switch his phone for a flip one so this does not happen.

Very disappointed & frustrated

3 of 12 (7,797 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 6, 2010 6:57:05 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    i have been having the same problem i have go phone i want a new phone so bad this makes me furious

4 of 12 (7,707 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 22, 2010 12:20:37 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by CalRedCat on Mar 22, 2010 at 12:50:46 PM

LG Neon

How to stop accidental brower access.

I accomplished this adding a "defective" browser account and then activating it to make it the default.

Here are the steps I used to create the "defective" account.  I named it Disable.

Press Menu, Settings, (6)Connection, (3)Access Points, New.

Enter the following:
    Name = Disable
    Bearer = wap.none
    User ID = (blank - no entry)
    Password: = (blank - no entry)
    Primary Server = 000.000.000.000
    Secondary Server = 000.000.000.000
    Then Save

Backup to Settings, (8)Application Settings, (2)Browser, (1)Accounts, Options,

(1)New Profile.
    Enter the following:
    Name = Disable
    Homepage = http://disable.home
    Proxy = Off
    IP Address = wireless.disable.com
    Port Number = 80
    Access Point = Disabled
    Then Save
    Select Disable and Activate

To enable WEB browsing return to Browser, Accounts and Activate Media Net.

Message Edited by CalRedCat on 03-22-2010 02:21:26 PM
    Message Edited by CalRedCat on 03-22-2010 02:22:57 PM
    Message Edited by CalRedCat on 03-22-2010 02:50:46 PM

STOP ACCIDENTIAL BROWSER ACCESS

[ Edited ]
    5 of 12 (7,349 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 22, 2010 12:40:34 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Thanks CalRedCat - do you know if this still allows for MMS messaging?  I will try it later!

Re: STOP ACCIDENTIAL BROWSER ACCESS

6 of 12 (7,342 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 22, 2010 12:49:54 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

pcsmith811

My guess is it will stop MMS messaging.  I would just enable Media Net when you want to use it.

7 of 12 (7,337 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 27, 2010 12:34:47 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

thanks CalRedCat! but i am not able to edit the "Bearer" part which is set to = GPRS. There is another input for "APN". Can i set APN = wap.none? would that also work?

8 of 12 (6,438 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 7:47:54 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

aries8n wrote:

thanks CalRedCat! but i am not able to edit the "Bearer" part which is set to = GPRS. There is another input for "APN". Can i set APN = wap.none? would that also work?

It would seem you have different firmware or a different phone.  Concept is simply to create an invalid browser account that the phone is unable to reach and use that as the default account. 

9 of 12 (6,241 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2010 9:17:40 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I can confirm that the steps listed above do indeed work, and MMS messages are still received. Thanks much for the assist!

10 of 12 (5,376 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 25, 2010 8:56:22 AM
    (0)
    Guru

CalRedCat wrote:

LG Neon

How to stop accidental brower access.

I accomplished this adding a "defective" browser account and then activating it to make it the default.

Here are the steps I used to create the "defective" account.  I named it Disable.

Press Menu, Settings, (6)Connection, (3)Access Points, New.

Enter the following:
    Name = Disable
    Bearer = wap.none
    User ID = (blank - no entry)
    Password: = (blank - no entry)
    Primary Server = 000.000.000.000
    Secondary Server = 000.000.000.000
    Then Save

Backup to Settings, (8)Application Settings, (2)Browser, (1)Accounts, Options,

(1)New Profile.
    Enter the following:
    Name = Disable
    Homepage = disable.com
    Proxy = Off
    IP Address = wireless.disable.com
    Port Number = 80
    Access Point = Disabled
    Then Save
    Select Disable and Activate

To enable WEB browsing return to Browser, Accounts and Activate Media Net.

Message Edited by CalRedCat on 03-22-2010 02:21:26 PM
    Message Edited by CalRedCat on 03-22-2010 02:22:57 PM
    Message Edited by CalRedCat on 03-22-2010 02:50:46 PM

thank you!! these fake settings worked!!

11 of 12 (2,692 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 5, 2010 11:08:57 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

These settings worked perfectly - thanks so much for the detailed directions!

Our bearer settings are different too, but this didn't seem to matter and we set the APN to a couple of blank spaces using the space bar on the keyboard.

12 of 12 (2,261 Views)