Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 1, 2009
2:21:53 PM
LG Incite - How to Change the Ringtone File Size Limit
Edited by Sandspurious on Mar 1, 2009 at 2:27:31 PM

This is a short tutorial on how to increase the size limit on ringtones for your Incite (and HTC Fuze). This will involve making a simple change to your phone's registry. Things that you will need to begin: a PC, ActiveSync (XP) / WMDC (Vista), and CERegEditor a free program that can be found here...

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-ceregeditor-v0-0-3-0.html

Download and install CERegEditor and then connect your Incite with the USB cable. The ActiveSync window should pop up and your phone's LED light should be a constant red. Next, Open CERegEditor and follow the pictures below. Note: BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH OR CHANGE ANYTHING EXCEPT WHAT'S LISTED OR ELSE YOU COULD HAVE A $200 PAPERWEIGHT.

I posted a tutorial on making ringtones with the free music editor Audacity here... 

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=LG&thread.id=26422&page=2

Footnote: it doesn't have to be 600KB...it can be anything you want, but keep in mind that the bigger the ringtone, the more processor bandwith is require to process it and hence you could give yourself other problems. I've verified the above number and it easily gives you a 96kbps mp3 for 30 seconds. It could probably handle 128k too.

Goodluck and enjoy!

Message Edited by Sandspurious on 03-01-2009 05:23:10 PM
Message Edited by Sandspurious on 03-01-2009 05:27:31 PM

This is a short tutorial on how to increase the size limit on ringtones for your Incite (and HTC Fuze). This will involve making a simple change to your phone's registry. Things that you will need to begin: a PC, ActiveSync (XP) / WMDC (Vista), and CERegEditor a free program that can be found here...

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-ceregeditor-v0-0-3-0.html

Download and install CERegEditor and then connect your Incite with the USB cable. The ActiveSync window should pop up and your phone's LED light should be a constant red. Next, Open CERegEditor and follow the pictures below. Note: BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH OR CHANGE ANYTHING EXCEPT WHAT'S LISTED OR ELSE YOU COULD HAVE A $200 PAPERWEIGHT.

I posted a tutorial on making ringtones with the free music editor Audacity here... 

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=LG&thread.id=26422&page=2

Footnote: it doesn't have to be 600KB...it can be anything you want, but keep in mind that the bigger the ringtone, the more processor bandwith is require to process it and hence you could give yourself other problems. I've verified the above number and it easily gives you a 96kbps mp3 for 30 seconds. It could probably handle 128k too.

Goodluck and enjoy!

Message Edited by Sandspurious on 03-01-2009 05:23:10 PM
Message Edited by Sandspurious on 03-01-2009 05:27:31 PM

LG Incite - How to Change the Ringtone File Size Limit

[ Edited ]
18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2009 8:45:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

Hi everyone, I can see that at the time I'm writing this thread has been accessed more than 400 times. I'm going to start a new thread shortly with some other Windows reg edits. If anyone who reads this knows of some more, please add them here and I'll try them out and incorporate them into the next thread. Also any feedback from people too nervous to try this...I'll be glad to talk you into it. The scary red warnings weren't meant to scare you away, they were meant to make sure you take the registry seriously. You know, so you don't have to do a hard reset or use your phone as a door stop. But all things aside, please reply with suggestions for other tweaks and I will try to make a little complilation for LG Incite owners like you (and Fuze owners).

PS: I've got one that I'm working on right now that more than doubles the effective speed of Internet Explorer on your phone. Give it a little time and I'll start the new thread with that one. Graci

Hi everyone, I can see that at the time I'm writing this thread has been accessed more than 400 times. I'm going to start a new thread shortly with some other Windows reg edits. If anyone who reads this knows of some more, please add them here and I'll try them out and incorporate them into the next thread. Also any feedback from people too nervous to try this...I'll be glad to talk you into it. The scary red warnings weren't meant to scare you away, they were meant to make sure you take the registry seriously. You know, so you don't have to do a hard reset or use your phone as a door stop. But all things aside, please reply with suggestions for other tweaks and I will try to make a little complilation for LG Incite owners like you (and Fuze owners).

PS: I've got one that I'm working on right now that more than doubles the effective speed of Internet Explorer on your phone. Give it a little time and I'll start the new thread with that one. Graci

Re: LG Incite - How to Change the Ringtone File Size Limit

2 of 19 (20,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2009 7:01:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have done, just as you instructed.  I previously posted http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=LG&thread.id=32050 (here) and did not know how to unlock the editing.  Now I have followed your instructions to a "T" and still am getting the same error saying access is denied.  Do you have any idea why that might be?  Thanks for the info in advance!

I have done, just as you instructed.  I previously posted http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=LG&thread.id=32050 (here) and did not know how to unlock the editing.  Now I have followed your instructions to a "T" and still am getting the same error saying access is denied.  Do you have any idea why that might be?  Thanks for the info in advance!

3 of 19 (20,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2009 9:04:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
Mdestis, I was using CERegEditor and the process to be able to make changes to the registry is to go to Tools > Unlock Registry after the device is connected and populates the screen. It was really that easy...however, the first time I did it I didn't know why I was getting locked out...I searched the internet and found that (although it just seems obvious now). I'm sure there's a method for unlocking via PHM Registry Editor, but I don't know it offhand. You should only have to do it once, then you can play with your registry sometimes when you're bored--like I do.
Mdestis, I was using CERegEditor and the process to be able to make changes to the registry is to go to Tools > Unlock Registry after the device is connected and populates the screen. It was really that easy...however, the first time I did it I didn't know why I was getting locked out...I searched the internet and found that (although it just seems obvious now). I'm sure there's a method for unlocking via PHM Registry Editor, but I don't know it offhand. You should only have to do it once, then you can play with your registry sometimes when you're bored--like I do.

4 of 19 (20,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2009 10:04:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you very much.  It worked for me, I got a little lazy and made the limit to 12 mbs because that was how big one of my songs were.  But it worked.  I see the incite as a good phone just that it got preloaded with too much that limits it.  Thank goodness for people like you who are able to help us out.  Keep the tricks coming.
Thank you very much.  It worked for me, I got a little lazy and made the limit to 12 mbs because that was how big one of my songs were.  But it worked.  I see the incite as a good phone just that it got preloaded with too much that limits it.  Thank goodness for people like you who are able to help us out.  Keep the tricks coming.

5 of 19 (20,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2009 11:48:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

Sandspurious,

Well thank you for your help.  I have figured out what the problem was.  I want to add on this what was going on, because someone may be doning the same thing that I am doing and not realizing it.  I never looked at the screen of my phone to see if anything was coming up on there.  There is a messge that pops up on the phone that asks if you would like to give the program access to your phone.  I was not paying enough attention to my phone to see that this was the case.  Once I accepted the message and gave the program access it unlocked the device and I was able to change the FileSizeLimit.  This has been such a hastle to me and I never thought I would be able to get this done.  I have never had the problem of having to look at the phone to give a program access, so I was overlooking that step.

Once again, thank you!

Sandspurious,

Well thank you for your help.  I have figured out what the problem was.  I want to add on this what was going on, because someone may be doning the same thing that I am doing and not realizing it.  I never looked at the screen of my phone to see if anything was coming up on there.  There is a messge that pops up on the phone that asks if you would like to give the program access to your phone.  I was not paying enough attention to my phone to see that this was the case.  Once I accepted the message and gave the program access it unlocked the device and I was able to change the FileSizeLimit.  This has been such a hastle to me and I never thought I would be able to get this done.  I have never had the problem of having to look at the phone to give a program access, so I was overlooking that step.

Once again, thank you!

6 of 19 (20,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2009 8:15:05 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have been trying to enable LEAP authentication on the Incite.  There is a registry value that looks very promising at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\BCMSDDHD1\Parms\EnableLeap", but changing the zero to a one seems to do nothing.  I understand that if LEAP is enabled, there should be a "LEAP" tab under Start->Settings->Connections->Wireless LAN.  I have also found nothing while trying to set up a new Wi-Fi connection--though PEAP authentication is there as always.  I have tried doing a soft reset and turning the device off and back on after modifying the registry.  Anybody notice anything that I am missing or discover something new on this order?  Perhaps the LEAP settings have appeared in some other odd place?
I have been trying to enable LEAP authentication on the Incite.  There is a registry value that looks very promising at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\BCMSDDHD1\Parms\EnableLeap", but changing the zero to a one seems to do nothing.  I understand that if LEAP is enabled, there should be a "LEAP" tab under Start->Settings->Connections->Wireless LAN.  I have also found nothing while trying to set up a new Wi-Fi connection--though PEAP authentication is there as always.  I have tried doing a soft reset and turning the device off and back on after modifying the registry.  Anybody notice anything that I am missing or discover something new on this order?  Perhaps the LEAP settings have appeared in some other odd place?

Re: LG Incite - LEAP Authentication

7 of 19 (19,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2009 8:52:40 PM
(0)
Scholar
Ok so I just wikipedia searched LEAP and PEAP to learn more about your question. In the second paragraph it recommended against LEAP because of how easily security loopholes can be exploited. But in the end, I don't know anything about that (adjusting authentication parameters in the registry). If I learn something about it and a lot of people show interest I'd be glad to make a guide for those people, but I don't have any plans for that at this time. I am working on a LG Incite Camera fix that will save your pictures where you want them saved instead of generically right onto the root of the memory card. But back to your post...some settings are affected in multiple places. I tried to adjust the network protocols so I could regain the option to easily turn on or off 3G. I quickly discovered that there are other settings that are designed to reset the one that I changed, but sadly I have no idea where they're located. So what I would suggest to you is to see if something reset what you changed and if not possibly note that 0 and 1 aren't always the only options for registry subkeys...it is possible that it's another value or it too is affected by some other key/ program. What kind of router do you have that needs LEAP authentication?
Ok so I just wikipedia searched LEAP and PEAP to learn more about your question. In the second paragraph it recommended against LEAP because of how easily security loopholes can be exploited. But in the end, I don't know anything about that (adjusting authentication parameters in the registry). If I learn something about it and a lot of people show interest I'd be glad to make a guide for those people, but I don't have any plans for that at this time. I am working on a LG Incite Camera fix that will save your pictures where you want them saved instead of generically right onto the root of the memory card. But back to your post...some settings are affected in multiple places. I tried to adjust the network protocols so I could regain the option to easily turn on or off 3G. I quickly discovered that there are other settings that are designed to reset the one that I changed, but sadly I have no idea where they're located. So what I would suggest to you is to see if something reset what you changed and if not possibly note that 0 and 1 aren't always the only options for registry subkeys...it is possible that it's another value or it too is affected by some other key/ program. What kind of router do you have that needs LEAP authentication?

8 of 19 (19,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2009 5:08:15 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am attempting to connect to a corporate network that unfortunately only supports LEAP authentication.  I will poke around in the registry a bit and see if I stumble across anything else that looks like it could be connected to enabling LEAP.  Here is a very similar discussion from a year ago over at xda-developers for the Dopod U1000.  The registry tree does not seem to translate, however.
I am attempting to connect to a corporate network that unfortunately only supports LEAP authentication.  I will poke around in the registry a bit and see if I stumble across anything else that looks like it could be connected to enabling LEAP.  Here is a very similar discussion from a year ago over at xda-developers for the Dopod U1000.  The registry tree does not seem to translate, however.

9 of 19 (19,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2009 12:05:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

This is a quick post to help you to get the most out of your new bigger better ringtones....

To change the length of time (number of rings) that your phone uses before transfering the incoming call to voicemail:

Start > Settings > Phone (icon) > Services (tab) > Call Forwarding > Get Settings. Go down to "Forward After" and change it to 25 or 30 seconds...whichever you like and then press OK.

This will make it so that when someone calls you will have 25 or 30 seconds to pick up/ enjoy your new ringtone(s). Enjoy!

This is a quick post to help you to get the most out of your new bigger better ringtones....

To change the length of time (number of rings) that your phone uses before transfering the incoming call to voicemail:

Start > Settings > Phone (icon) > Services (tab) > Call Forwarding > Get Settings. Go down to "Forward After" and change it to 25 or 30 seconds...whichever you like and then press OK.

This will make it so that when someone calls you will have 25 or 30 seconds to pick up/ enjoy your new ringtone(s). Enjoy!

Re: LG Incite - Ringtone File Size Limit

10 of 19 (19,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2009 8:56:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sandspurious...

I was curious to see what my Samsung BJ1 had as a file size, as I have never had any size limitations with ringtones (however was still running win 5.0 on it - which seems to be of some relevance).

...so I followed your instructions and came to find  there is no "FileSizeLimit" under the Sound folder. 

I also have the BJ2, which has the came with the annoying 300k ring tone limit, which does show the "FileSizeLimit"...for which you pointed out you can change the value. 

From what I've seen, the BJ1s I've came across running win 5.0 have not encountered any limitations and only seems to be problematic as far as file limitations are concerned when running 6.0...and as I mentioned before, I assume this is because is because the 5.0 version is lacking a folder (FileSizeLimit) which results in restrictions. 

The majority of my sound files I've used for ring tones are 500-600k+...and while not a necessity, still is somewhat of a disappointment, as the phones I was using years ago seem to be more user friendly and less restricting than some of the phones in today's market.

Do you think that if one were to delete this "FileSizeLimit" all together, it would then allow for files of any size to be used as ringtones?

Sandspurious...

I was curious to see what my Samsung BJ1 had as a file size, as I have never had any size limitations with ringtones (however was still running win 5.0 on it - which seems to be of some relevance).

...so I followed your instructions and came to find  there is no "FileSizeLimit" under the Sound folder. 

I also have the BJ2, which has the came with the annoying 300k ring tone limit, which does show the "FileSizeLimit"...for which you pointed out you can change the value. 

From what I've seen, the BJ1s I've came across running win 5.0 have not encountered any limitations and only seems to be problematic as far as file limitations are concerned when running 6.0...and as I mentioned before, I assume this is because is because the 5.0 version is lacking a folder (FileSizeLimit) which results in restrictions. 

The majority of my sound files I've used for ring tones are 500-600k+...and while not a necessity, still is somewhat of a disappointment, as the phones I was using years ago seem to be more user friendly and less restricting than some of the phones in today's market.

Do you think that if one were to delete this "FileSizeLimit" all together, it would then allow for files of any size to be used as ringtones?

11 of 19 (4,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2009 10:49:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

sleeplessinchicago wrote:

No, don't delete the filesizelimit registry entry. There had been a thread going on in the Samsung forum where someone was recommending that people delete the entry. Needless to say, some phones started having problems when receiving phone calls. As long as it's still there, the notifications will still work properly. Now for the good news...

You can literally make the number anything you want (but preferably not 0). Let's say 6MB would be a better fit for you...You can change the Value Data (the limit) in the Edit dialouge box to 6007200. That equals roughly 6MB instead of 600KB. After you make that change, you'll be able to use ringtones (or technically entire songs) up to 6MB. Note that if you elect to use an entire song, you'll only hear the first 20 seconds unless you make the setting change in message 10 on this thread (then it could be up to 30sec). Remember that using an entire song will use more processing power and could cause some lag when receiving a call. I still recommend making your own ringtones using the easy method outlined in the Audacity thread. Good luck. I hope this helped!

sleeplessinchicago wrote:

No, don't delete the filesizelimit registry entry. There had been a thread going on in the Samsung forum where someone was recommending that people delete the entry. Needless to say, some phones started having problems when receiving phone calls. As long as it's still there, the notifications will still work properly. Now for the good news...

You can literally make the number anything you want (but preferably not 0). Let's say 6MB would be a better fit for you...You can change the Value Data (the limit) in the Edit dialouge box to 6007200. That equals roughly 6MB instead of 600KB. After you make that change, you'll be able to use ringtones (or technically entire songs) up to 6MB. Note that if you elect to use an entire song, you'll only hear the first 20 seconds unless you make the setting change in message 10 on this thread (then it could be up to 30sec). Remember that using an entire song will use more processing power and could cause some lag when receiving a call. I still recommend making your own ringtones using the easy method outlined in the Audacity thread. Good luck. I hope this helped!

12 of 19 (4,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2009 11:43:49 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Malymom on Aug 20, 2009 at 11:51:49 AM
I went through all of the steps but after changing the file limit size to 607200 and clicking ok it tells me access denied. HELP!!! Smiley Happy Nevermind... should have read further. thanks for all the help..
Message Edited by Malymom on 08-20-2009 11:51:49 AM
I went through all of the steps but after changing the file limit size to 607200 and clicking ok it tells me access denied. HELP!!! Smiley Happy Nevermind... should have read further. thanks for all the help..

[ Edited ]
13 of 19 (3,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2009 11:57:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

Malymom wrote:

No problem. I'm glad you got it working. Perhaps I should've insisted people read the article all the way through twice before attempting:smileywink:

Malymom wrote:

No problem. I'm glad you got it working. Perhaps I should've insisted people read the article all the way through twice before attempting:smileywink:

14 of 19 (3,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2009 8:11:07 AM
(0)
Contributor
The problem that I had was that my phone was telling me a program was trying to access it and I had to click allow. I didn't know to actually look at the screen of my phone. Smiley Happy Thanks again.
The problem that I had was that my phone was telling me a program was trying to access it and I had to click allow. I didn't know to actually look at the screen of my phone. Smiley Happy Thanks again.

15 of 19 (3,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2010 4:38:42 PM
(0)
Contributor
I followed these steps word for word and I am still getting Access Denied when I try to change the FileSizeLimit.  I perform the Unlock Registry step multiple times and even get the message that I should be able to edit the registry.  Can you think of anything else I can try?
I followed these steps word for word and I am still getting Access Denied when I try to change the FileSizeLimit.  I perform the Unlock Registry step multiple times and even get the message that I should be able to edit the registry.  Can you think of anything else I can try?

16 of 19 (2,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2010 4:49:27 PM
(0)
Contributor
Got it. I had to accept the editing at the phone.
Got it. I had to accept the editing at the phone.

17 of 19 (2,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2010 10:33:49 AM
(0)
Contributor
I did this today, it worked first try with zero problems...I also went with the larger size of 6mb Smiley Very Happy Thaks for the write up!
I did this today, it worked first try with zero problems...I also went with the larger size of 6mb Smiley Very Happy Thaks for the write up!

18 of 19 (2,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 1:41:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

MDestis..and Sandspurious thank you both for your help...I missed the same thing Mdestis missed and kept getting the same message..access denied...but  now it works charmingly..thanks a bunch...

MDestis..and Sandspurious thank you both for your help...I missed the same thing Mdestis missed and kept getting the same message..access denied...but  now it works charmingly..thanks a bunch...

19 of 19 (1,914 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments