LG Encore (model GT550): Tips n' Tricks

ACE - Scholar
ACE - Scholar

LG Encore (model GT550): Tips n' Tricks

I've had my LG Encore GT550 for a couple months now. Just thought I'd relay some tips, tricks, and quirks, figuring they might benefit others here. Some things below apply to other phones as well.

1) I needed to transfer my contacts from Outlook. Lacking a bulk transfer tool, I ended up transfering them in batches, via Bluetooth. I'd select a bunch in Outlook, click a "Send via BT" option, then accept each one on the phone.

I should've set my phone's BT to not verify each contact/connection, and to auto-accept the connections - that would've saved me a button press for each of the 100-200 folks I sent over. No biggie.

AT&T also has an Online Address Book feature which seems to sync contacts directly into the phone. I didn't use that, but maybe it's got a bulk upload/sync feature for Outlook.

Also, on the LG support site is some kind of Outlook syncing tool, but when I last checked, it wasn't (yet?) compatible with my phone.

2) Problem: I was initially discovering that many people weren't getting my text messages. The issue? Well, the numbers got brought in via BT, as I said earlier. And that included characters that apparently confused my phone or the AT&T network - specifically spaces and parentheses () . So, I needed to manually edit them out of each phone number (I also prepended "+1" to each cell phone number). Then, all my text messages went through. Moreover, incoming CallerID worked properly after those characters were removed.

3) Internet connectivity: I got more reliable service by disabling the Cingular proxy in one of the settings menus.

4) Browsers: It kinda looked like there were 2 browsers built in to the phone - a "newer"-looking one, and an "older"-looking one.

5) Even better, I downloaded (free) and use the Opera Mini browser, which seems to be much better all around. Caveat: Opera proxies all internet traffic on that browser through their own servers, including breaking SSL as it passes through their servers. Not a big deal most of the time; just don't expect that your SSL traffic is end-to-end secure, or that your non-SSL traffic is ignored through general anonymity.

6) Outgoing CallerID block:  #31#  is the official way to do it via GSM phones like AT&T's. They also seem to support the legacy way to do it -- the popular  *67  code.

7) Ever try VoiceInfo? It's free (except minutes used) and offers quick things like Current Time, News, Weather, and Wake-Up Call (and "Instant Alibi"), all via voice command. Any of these 3 should work:   *8  |  *08  |  #121  . Non-AT&T phones: 800.555.Tell (not all services available).

8) The phone's incoming email address is: 10digitnumber@txt.att.net and 10digitnumber@mms.att.net -- one for SMS/txt and one for MMS. It seems that adding "1" to the beginning will fail (as in: 12128884567@txt.att.net).

9) My real big beef with the phone is all of the pre-loaded bloatware that can't be removed. There are a ton of applications that they pre-install, take up memory, fill up most of the phone's menu, and cost money to use, via monthly subscription fees. It's frustrating that I can't uninstall all of these junk programs.

Workaround: AT&T seems to offer a free "Purchase Blocker" feature to prevent the billing of downloads, subscriptions, online purchases, to one's phone. At least this'll (theoretically) prevent accidental buys and fraudulent cramming.

10) Related issue to #9: The built-in browser locks in a bunch of AT&T bookmarks I have no interest in. Unlike bookmarks I create/add myself, AT&T's bookmarks can't be deleted, and take up valuable screen space. My own bookmarks get added to the way-bottom of the list. C'mon AT&T, please quit treating us like children!

Workaround 1: I created a subfolder for my own bookmarks. That subfolder appears at the top of the list. Another click, but better than scrolling to the bottom of the list each time.

Workaround 2: Use Opera Mini instead (see above).

11) On my bill, I notice that all my data is listed as GPRS. Why not 3G? I'm pretty sure I'm in a 3G area (my phone says so). Is it because I don't use the AT&T/Cingular proxy?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 1
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support