Just to be clear regarding data plan

Mentor

Re: Just to be clear regarding data plan

dysfunxion wrote:

If IMEI is updated though or you chose to put sim into a different smartphone or upgrade that may have you required for data package of $30

That's what I meant by "starting to use it (the smartphone)" after the rule existed

(:

cheers!!!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 46 of 53
Scholar

my bad, didn't throughly read, long night

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 47 of 53
Contributor

I appreciate the info from you both.  I was aware that if we used different smartphones or upgraded to a new smartphone that we would have to pay the $30, but when you say if "IMEI is updated" what does "IMEI" refer to and is that something AT&T would upgrade or something I would choose to upgrade?  If it is an AT&T upgrade that they choose to do are you saying I would then be required to pay for the data plan?  Thanks again for the info.

Message 48 of 53
Mentor

osu2611 wrote:

I appreciate the info from you both.  I was aware that if we used different smartphones or upgraded to a new smartphone that we would have to pay the $30, but when you say if "IMEI is updated" what does "IMEI" refer to and is that something AT&T would upgrade or something I would choose to upgrade?  If it is an AT&T upgrade that they choose to do are you saying I would then be required to pay for the data plan?  Thanks again for the info.

IMEI is the Serial Number of your device, if you change your cell phone and call AT&T so they have registered your new device, that's updating your IMEI

cheers!!!!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 49 of 53
Contributor

IMEI is the Serial Number of your device, if you change your cell phone and call AT&T so they have registered your new device, that's updating your IMEI

cheers!!!!

Ah, now I am with you.  Great, thank you for the help.

Regards.

Message 50 of 53
Master

osu2611 wrote:

cheers!!!!

Ah, now I am with you.  Great, thank you for the help.

Regards.

If you purchased them through at&t and were using the original BlackJack and the Blackberry 8820 on your account prior to Sept. 6th, 2009 - even if you've subsequently switched to another phone and then gone back to using the BlackJack/BB for some reason - and at&t tries to add the $30 mandatory data plan, I would scream bloody murder.  (I don't think it will even ever be an issue for an original Samsung BlackJack - that "smartphone" was sold for prepaid service for a period of time when the BlackJack II came out - I'm not sure how old the BB 8820 is.)  But if it happens, contact customer service, escalate if needed, even tell them you are canceling your service with at&t - whatever you have to do (obviously this depends on how much time and energy you would actually want to invest).

(If you've never changed away from those phones, then it should not even be an issue - but if it does become one, then at&t customer service should readily add the "grandfather" flag to those lines of service so long as they are using those devices.)

But it simply is not acceptable if at&t adds the data plan to "smartphones" that were purchased long before the mandatory data plan requirement went into effect and where at&t should have verifiable record that you are the original owner of the phones.  (It's not that you purchased them off of eBay, etc. where there may be no real "record" of them being associated with the account prior to the Sept. 6th, 2009 requirement.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 51 of 53
Mentor

But it simply is not acceptable if at&t adds the data plan to "smartphones" that were purchased long before the mandatory data plan requirement went into effect and where at&t should have verifiable record that you are the original owner of the phones.  (It's not that you purchased them off of eBay, etc. where there may be no real "record" of them being associated with the account prior to the Sept. 6th, 2009 requirement.)

This is not about when you purchased it, but when you started using it.

cheers!!

Message 52 of 53
Highlighted
Voyager

victorsmb87 wrote:

cheers!!!!

Why would someone call AT&T and register their new phone?

Just pop in the new SIM Card and off you go.

I suspect that AT&T uses ADD (Automatic Device Detection) to determine what phone ppl are using. Of the 3 unlocked phones I've used with my ATT SIM, their system has picked up one of them, i.e.. my account info on the web shows the vendor/model number of the unlocked phone.

Message 53 of 53
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support