Just to be clear regarding data plan

Explorer

Re: Just to be clear regarding data plan

I've already moved to T-Mobile, coverage is average compared to AT&T but it's enough for me and at least I'm paying a little less and getting 3G on my Nexus One. I'm mad that just yesterday Google started to sell the Nexus One compatible with AT&T but anyway I'm not planning to come back to AT&T unless they change these policies or even better rethink their plans.
Message 16 of 53 (365 Views)
Master

Short of regulatory interference or Verizon markedly overhauling their prices, nothing is going to change.  ALL the major carriers now require data plans with smartphones.  T-Mo & Sprint may be cheaper than AT&T and Verizon, but that's because they HAVE to be.  They're #3 & #4 and chasing #1 & #2.
Message 17 of 53 (342 Views)
Tutor

Amazing what a class action lawsuit can do to a company's profitability though.  I'm just sayin'...

Even it if is not as media-manic as a sticky gas pedal, these things do change the game a little.  :-)

Message 18 of 53 (323 Views)
Expert

there is only one group of people that win in crass action suit - it is not the end users for sure

Message 19 of 53 (314 Views)
Master

No, they really don't "change the game a little", nor is it "amazing" what one does to a company's profitability.  That's a terribly silly, overly simplistic and woefully underinformed statement to make.  Do you know how difficult it is to file a class action lawsuit?  You don't just walk into district court with your print-at-home law school degree and say, "I want to file a class aciton lawsuit".  You have to gather a sufficient quantity of plaintiffs, file a lawsuit, petition a judge to be certified as a class, and then proceed with what will likely be YEARS of litigation in addition to all the time spent gaining class-action status.  AT&T has full-time attorneys either on staff or on retainer (or likely both) whose job it is to defend AT&T against all lawsuits, spurious or not.  Large corporations are in an almost constant state of litigation, especially when intellectual property is at play.

AT&T's network, AT&T's rules.  If you don't want to play by them, there are other carriers out there.  All this talk about "class action lawsuits" is terrifically stupid.

chriss0 wrote:

Amazing what a class action lawsuit can do to a company's profitability though.  I'm just sayin'...

Even it if is not as media-manic as a sticky gas pedal, these things do change the game a little.  :-)

Message 20 of 53 (305 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

there is only one group of people that win in crass action suit - it is not the end users for sure

Unless you don't know how to properly structure ant ETF. Then you would be well advised to throw in the towel.
Message 21 of 53 (377 Views)
Highlighted
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

For sure!  Unless of course one thinks that getting a coupon for $5.00 off any accessory purchase is a "win".  Smiley Wink 

Message 22 of 53 (374 Views)
Scholar

For sure!  Unless of course one thinks that getting a coupon for $5.00 off any accessory purchase is a "win".  Smiley Wink 

The ETF issue was a red herring - consumers know what they're getting into - whether it is prorated or not is not the issue. Try breaking a lease in a vehicle and see what kind of ETF you're looking at.

The mandatory data plan, mandatory texting plan, and upcoming 'non-unlimited unlimited data plans' look very promising... 

Message 23 of 53 (364 Views)
Contributor

What gets me about this is they let me buy my Nokia Surge 5-6 months ago (well, it was a free upgrade, which really makes this even worse) WITHOUT anything in plain sight saying "You may eventually be required to carry some type of data plan with this phone".  So now I'm surprised 6 months later with a couple of text messages telling me that they added a plan "for my convenience" and I have NO CHOICE but to pay it unless I want to go out and buy some POS phone.  All because I wanted a nice texting device with a good keyboard.

I'm going to be looking for ways to get out of my contracts (I have family plan with one line which is my wife's) and switch carriers.  Between this BS and the service issues we've been having for the last few months, AT&T has pretty much guaranteed I won't be a customer any longer than I have to. 

Message 24 of 53 (355 Views)
Contributor

AT&T is about to find out the hard way that I know how to screw with them as much as they do with me.  I'm sure there's some TV show I can start ripping down with my new unlimited data plan and tethering...
Message 25 of 53 (354 Views)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Unless you don't know how to properly structure ant ETF. Then you would be well advised to throw in the towel.

sorry have no idea what point you are trying to make. The only ones that make any money or rewards in a crass action suit is the single group, then end users recieves a slight reward but that is it. Enjoy your ramble
Message 26 of 53 (355 Views)
Expert

Brock2727 wrote:

What gets me about this is they let me buy my Nokia Surge 5-6 months ago (well, it was a free upgrade, which really makes this even worse) WITHOUT anything in plain sight saying "You may eventually be required to carry some type of data plan with this phone".  So now I'm surprised 6 months later with a couple of text messages telling me that they added a plan "for my convenience" and I have NO CHOICE but to pay it unless I want to go out and buy some POS phone.  All because I wanted a nice texting device with a good keyboard.

I'm going to be looking for ways to get out of my contracts (I have family plan with one line which is my wife's) and switch carriers.  Between this BS and the service issues we've been having for the last few months, AT&T has pretty much guaranteed I won't be a customer any longer than I have to. 

You don;t have to look very far, pay the etf and go somewhere else - research well snce everyu major carrier's requirements are close to the exact same thing, just some have etf's that start at 350.00 and go down instead of 175 and go down
Message 27 of 53 (349 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Problem is I have two ETF's to pay, the one for the main line and the one for my wife's line.  If it were just me I'd go ahead and pay it because the contract only has another year on it, but my wife's line is under contract until November 2011, so we'd have to pay like $270 to get out.
Message Edited by Brock2727 on 03-22-2010 03:55:26 AM
Message 28 of 53 (347 Views)
Tutor

While it is true that really only lawyers "make money" in a class action lawsuit, who said it was anything about making money?  Such procedures do not serve to compensate anyone in the class in an amount that is equivalent (or often even related) to what they have lost.  In many cases, it will change the company's business practices because it does impact their profitability.  The fact that a company has a large staff of layers does not evidence the contrary. 

Class action lawsuits are not really all that difficult for the law firm that is so inclined; it is a repeatable process making it actually pretty common.  The ones you hear on the news are only the ones with a lot of 'human interest' to them, not when Visa got hit for having high foreign transaction fees, or Travelers for overcharging by a few dollars on your household insurance, etc.   

Then again, I have a couple smartphones with WiFi and no $30 data plans, so I cannot really participate anyway, and cannot really be of much help.

Message 29 of 53 (342 Views)
Expert

Brock2727 wrote:
Problem is I have two ETF's to pay, the one for the main line and the one for my wife's line.  If it were just me I'd go ahead and pay it because the contract only has another year on it, but my wife's line is under contract until November 2011, so we'd have to pay like $270 to get out.
Message Edited by Brock2727 on 03-22-2010 03:55:26 AM

compare the etf to your monthly serivce cost until the contract runs out. Just the cost of the data plan will outstrip the ETF cost over the long run. Seems like a inexpensive buyout to get away from a company that you dislike and are unhappy with
Message 30 of 53 (329 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.