Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 12, 2011
1:43:29 PM
View profile
Just got the Xperia and I'm lost
Lots of questions, how do I get some sort of notification on this phone for calls and texts besides the itty bitty envelope at the top left hand corner? Is there any way to get the volume any louder? I have it all the way up and can barely hear the calls. What's mediascape and timescape? What should I not use that I will get charged for? GPS I know you can't use without paying. I got the small data plan so I can't go nuts with this thing. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I look at this thing. Haha! First smartphone for me and I'm so confused.
Lots of questions, how do I get some sort of notification on this phone for calls and texts besides the itty bitty envelope at the top left hand corner? Is there any way to get the volume any louder? I have it all the way up and can barely hear the calls. What's mediascape and timescape? What should I not use that I will get charged for? GPS I know you can't use without paying. I got the small data plan so I can't go nuts with this thing. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I look at this thing. Haha! First smartphone for me and I'm so confused.

Just got the Xperia and I'm lost

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 1:51:14 PM
(0)
Contributor
Oh and how do I send out a mass text to everyone?

Re: Just got the Xperia and I'm lost

2 of 8 (1,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 4:04:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I won't be able to help with many of your questions as I'm not familiar with the X10, but re: your ringtone volume - I suspect you will need to load some louder ringtones.  Phones don't seem to come with ones that are very loud, so most people make their own and use something that is loud to begin with.

And I believe you'll need to set up "contact groups" to send text messages to multiple contacts at once.  That option should reside somewhere in your address book menu options - it's pretty buried on the W580i, so look around for it within all the "options" and "other" menu selections.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

I won't be able to help with many of your questions as I'm not familiar with the X10, but re: your ringtone volume - I suspect you will need to load some louder ringtones.  Phones don't seem to come with ones that are very loud, so most people make their own and use something that is loud to begin with.

And I believe you'll need to set up "contact groups" to send text messages to multiple contacts at once.  That option should reside somewhere in your address book menu options - it's pretty buried on the W580i, so look around for it within all the "options" and "other" menu selections.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (1,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:35:32 AM
(0)
Master
You can try a search of the Google Market for some applications like "Missed call" and others like it. These applications provide an alternative method of notification for calls and text messages.

When you say you can barely hear the calls, are you talking about the ringtone or the volume during the call? Android phones often have a separate volume level for the in-call volume. Try the volume buttons during the call and see if that makes a difference. You can also search for a app on the market to give you access to all the volume sliders.

Google maps and navigation is free to use except for the data transfers against the data plan. Not sure if Google navigation is available for phones using Android 1.6 though. I believe that there are some off-line gps applications, I can't recommend any since I have never had the need to look for one.

I would recommend the groups as well for mass texts, but I am unfamiliar with how the experia handles contacts and creating groups.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
You can try a search of the Google Market for some applications like "Missed call" and others like it. These applications provide an alternative method of notification for calls and text messages.

When you say you can barely hear the calls, are you talking about the ringtone or the volume during the call? Android phones often have a separate volume level for the in-call volume. Try the volume buttons during the call and see if that makes a difference. You can also search for a app on the market to give you access to all the volume sliders.

Google maps and navigation is free to use except for the data transfers against the data plan. Not sure if Google navigation is available for phones using Android 1.6 though. I believe that there are some off-line gps applications, I can't recommend any since I have never had the need to look for one.

I would recommend the groups as well for mass texts, but I am unfamiliar with how the experia handles contacts and creating groups.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 8 (1,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 10:46:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Google navigation is part of the Google Maps app and does work in 1.6.

It works pretty slick and it is FREE.

Google navigation is part of the Google Maps app and does work in 1.6.

It works pretty slick and it is FREE.

5 of 8 (1,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 11:32:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

1) Don't know about calls, but if you get an app called Ringo you can get a text notification from them that pops up on the screen (it also allows you to set individual message tones for your contacts)

2) Ringtone/ringer volume or call volume? Call volume can be controlled by the buttons on the right side of the phone during the call. If your ringtones/ringer aren't loud enough, go to Settings>Sound & display

3) Mediascape is an app from SE that organizes your music, pictures, & videos

4) Timescape is another SE app. You can have FB & Twitter updates, your emails, texts, and call log all in one place.

5) I think the only things you'll get charged for are AT&T's stock apps

Hope I helped!

1) Don't know about calls, but if you get an app called Ringo you can get a text notification from them that pops up on the screen (it also allows you to set individual message tones for your contacts)

2) Ringtone/ringer volume or call volume? Call volume can be controlled by the buttons on the right side of the phone during the call. If your ringtones/ringer aren't loud enough, go to Settings>Sound & display

3) Mediascape is an app from SE that organizes your music, pictures, & videos

4) Timescape is another SE app. You can have FB & Twitter updates, your emails, texts, and call log all in one place.

5) I think the only things you'll get charged for are AT&T's stock apps

Hope I helped!

6 of 8 (1,097 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 9:31:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

Bynfoxy wrote:

I don't believe the stock messaging has that capability. You need to download a messaging app from the Market. I have been using GoSMS, it's free and addresses your issues well.

Bynfoxy wrote:

I don't believe the stock messaging has that capability. You need to download a messaging app from the Market. I have been using GoSMS, it's free and addresses your issues well.

7 of 8 (1,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 10:04:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oops - looks like charlyee is correct. Smiley Happy

Here is another thread re: sending mass SMS on the X10.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Sony-Ericsson/AT-amp-T-X10-Group-Text-messages/m-p/2556887#M45197

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Oops - looks like charlyee is correct. Smiley Happy

Here is another thread re: sending mass SMS on the X10.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Sony-Ericsson/AT-amp-T-X10-Group-Text-messages/m-p/2556887#M45197

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 8 (1,011 Views)