Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 14, 2010
8:40:08 AM
View profile
Just got back from At&t store and manager said 2G people NOT ELIGIBLE

to get unlimited data plan for $30. Said 2G is on different network and he doesn't have option to do that...I'll need to pick a new data plan just like a new At&t customer. Does At&t have an official statement on this? Is this for real or is he just misinformed?

He also said that I can't pre-order the phone through Apple and only can go through At&t. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Should I just pre-order it online to be delivered to my house? Please give me some input.

to get unlimited data plan for $30. Said 2G is on different network and he doesn't have option to do that...I'll need to pick a new data plan just like a new At&t customer. Does At&t have an official statement on this? Is this for real or is he just misinformed?

He also said that I can't pre-order the phone through Apple and only can go through At&t. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Should I just pre-order it online to be delivered to my house? Please give me some input.

Just got back from At&t store and manager said 2G people NOT ELIGIBLE

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 8:45:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

Well, if you are trying to activate a 2g, you cannot get the unlimited data. ATT no longer offers unlimited data.

Well, if you are trying to activate a 2g, you cannot get the unlimited data. ATT no longer offers unlimited data.

Re: Just got back from At&t store and manager said 2G people NOT ELIGIBLE

2 of 18 (2,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 8:48:17 AM
(0)
Guru

How is the iPhone 2 G impacted by the new Smartphone data plans?

Two things to point out here – iPhone 2G customers keep their $20 unlimited plan as long as they keep using their iPhone 2G, someone new to iPhone 2G (they get a hand-me-down) can have the $20 unlimited plan when they activate. Bottom line the iPhone 2G is unchanged. As for an iPhone 2G customer that is upgrading to an iPhone 3G or 3GS they are entitled to the unlimited $30 plan if they desire it and the system will present it.

Can 2G iPhone customers provision on one of the new data plans?
No, 2G customers cannot provision on one of the new plans. Since 2G customers activate using iTunes, they will be presented with the $20 unlimited plan

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

How is the iPhone 2 G impacted by the new Smartphone data plans?

Two things to point out here – iPhone 2G customers keep their $20 unlimited plan as long as they keep using their iPhone 2G, someone new to iPhone 2G (they get a hand-me-down) can have the $20 unlimited plan when they activate. Bottom line the iPhone 2G is unchanged. As for an iPhone 2G customer that is upgrading to an iPhone 3G or 3GS they are entitled to the unlimited $30 plan if they desire it and the system will present it.

Can 2G iPhone customers provision on one of the new data plans?
No, 2G customers cannot provision on one of the new plans. Since 2G customers activate using iTunes, they will be presented with the $20 unlimited plan

3 of 18 (2,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 8:48:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

No no...I'm trying to upgrade from the 2G to the new Iphone 4.  I have seen online people saying that since I already have a smartphone wit At&t I can get unlimited data for $30...

No no...I'm trying to upgrade from the 2G to the new Iphone 4.  I have seen online people saying that since I already have a smartphone wit At&t I can get unlimited data for $30...

4 of 18 (2,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 8:51:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm not talkin about upgrading to 3G...I'm talking about getting the new Iphone 4 on the 25th.  Based on what they say for upgrading from 2G to 3G I should be eligible for unlimited $30 data plan.  Why did the At&t guy say I can't get it then.  Thinking should just try and upgrade and order my new phone online.....

I'm not talkin about upgrading to 3G...I'm talking about getting the new Iphone 4 on the 25th.  Based on what they say for upgrading from 2G to 3G I should be eligible for unlimited $30 data plan.  Why did the At&t guy say I can't get it then.  Thinking should just try and upgrade and order my new phone online.....

5 of 18 (2,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 8:58:57 AM
(0)
Guru

If you had the $30 unlimited data prior to 6/1 on your current Iphone, then you can upgrade to the Iphone 4 and keep the $30 unlimited.

If you did not have the $30 data plan on 6/1, then you cannot get the $30 unlimited data plan. You would have to choose the 200MB or 2GB plan when you order the Iphone 4.

Plain and simple.

If you had the $30 unlimited data prior to 6/1 on your current Iphone, then you can upgrade to the Iphone 4 and keep the $30 unlimited.

If you did not have the $30 data plan on 6/1, then you cannot get the $30 unlimited data plan. You would have to choose the 200MB or 2GB plan when you order the Iphone 4.

Plain and simple.

6 of 18 (2,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 9:01:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

That's not what others are saying....not sure what 2G people get screwed and others get to grandfather

That's not what others are saying....not sure what 2G people get screwed and others get to grandfather

7 of 18 (2,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 9:05:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

Here's what a dude is saying on apple's website.....

Switching from the unlimited data plan for the original iPhone to the unlimited data plan for the 3G and 3GS prior to this change requires chancing from paying $20/mo to $30/mo, but you are an existing smartphone customer and you are not required to switch to one of the new plans.

You can pre-order the iPhone with Apple or with any retailer for the iPhone that is accepting pre-orders.

This manager must be on commission or is an idi!ot. I would call AT&T customer support to report this AT&T store manager gave you incorrect and/or misleading info. Since he did so with you means he is probably doing the same with others.

Here's what a dude is saying on apple's website.....

Switching from the unlimited data plan for the original iPhone to the unlimited data plan for the 3G and 3GS prior to this change requires chancing from paying $20/mo to $30/mo, but you are an existing smartphone customer and you are not required to switch to one of the new plans.

You can pre-order the iPhone with Apple or with any retailer for the iPhone that is accepting pre-orders.

This manager must be on commission or is an idi!ot. I would call AT&T customer support to report this AT&T store manager gave you incorrect and/or misleading info. Since he did so with you means he is probably doing the same with others.

8 of 18 (2,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 9:11:36 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Thank you all for taking the time to post your inquiries. I see that there is some confusion regarding current 2G iPhone customers and the data plan. All 2G iPhone customer's can upgrade to a 3G/3GS/4 and change to the $30 unlimited data plan or switch to the new Smartphone data plans now available. I hope this information helps clear out some of the confusion. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Thank you all for taking the time to post your inquiries. I see that there is some confusion regarding current 2G iPhone customers and the data plan. All 2G iPhone customer's can upgrade to a 3G/3GS/4 and change to the $30 unlimited data plan or switch to the new Smartphone data plans now available. I hope this information helps clear out some of the confusion. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

9 of 18 (2,368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 9:12:51 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am pretty sure   answered your question in her post.

I am pretty sure   answered your question in her post.

10 of 18 (2,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 9:14:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

Can ya'll tell this to your store managers then? 

Also, can you please tell me if I can just pre-order the new Iphone online through the Apple store tomorrow?  Thanks

Can ya'll tell this to your store managers then? 

Also, can you please tell me if I can just pre-order the new Iphone online through the Apple store tomorrow?  Thanks

11 of 18 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2010 11:50:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the exact same problem. The store manager up here in New Hampshire stated that 1st generation iPhone customers, since they don't have a $ 30 unlimited data, are not eligible. It would be fantastic if AT&T put up an easy to read not on their site to remove confusion.

I have the exact same problem. The store manager up here in New Hampshire stated that 1st generation iPhone customers, since they don't have a $ 30 unlimited data, are not eligible. It would be fantastic if AT&T put up an easy to read not on their site to remove confusion.

12 of 18 (966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2010 12:13:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

I upgraded from a first gen iphone to the iphone 4 today through the AT&T site and was offered unlimited for $30.

I upgraded from a first gen iphone to the iphone 4 today through the AT&T site and was offered unlimited for $30.

13 of 18 (941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2010 2:08:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

What is "funny" is that the Apple store allowed me to chose the $ 30 option too. Unfortunately, it kept crashing when I got to the payment screen. This is why I went to the AT&T store thinking they would be easier. I guess I will have to call AT&T customer service & see if I get the same answer.

What is "funny" is that the Apple store allowed me to chose the $ 30 option too. Unfortunately, it kept crashing when I got to the payment screen. This is why I went to the AT&T store thinking they would be easier. I guess I will have to call AT&T customer service & see if I get the same answer.

14 of 18 (907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 10:43:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

Curious regarding the text message component. I had the 1st gen iPhone with the $20 unlimited plan and 200 text messages included. I'm upgrading to the iPhone 4 and going with the $30 unlimited plan. Does this plan include any messages or do I have to pay an additional $5/mo. for 200 messages?

Curious regarding the text message component. I had the 1st gen iPhone with the $20 unlimited plan and 200 text messages included. I'm upgrading to the iPhone 4 and going with the $30 unlimited plan. Does this plan include any messages or do I have to pay an additional $5/mo. for 200 messages?

15 of 18 (799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 10:43:43 AM
(0)
Expert

danano wrote:

you will ahve to pay additional for texting

danano wrote:

you will ahve to pay additional for texting

16 of 18 (794 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 10:51:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

I preordered and currently have an original iphone with the $20 data including 200 tests.  I was offered the $30 data plan and could add a text package.  It was no problem.  This was all online.

I preordered and currently have an original iphone with the $20 data including 200 tests.  I was offered the $30 data plan and could add a text package.  It was no problem.  This was all online.

17 of 18 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2010 11:23:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, AT&T is offering those with original iPhones, the $30 data plan when upgrading to a iPhone 4.

I activated an original iPhone with the $20 data plan yesterday just so I could still have the unlimited data plan and keep it when I upgrade.

For those who are worried and still have an original iPhone that is not activated, you can activate it today using iTunes and get the $20 unlimited data plan. AT&T is still offering the $20 data plan for the original iPhone and is not offering the 2GB plan at all fr this phone on new activations. This will allow you to keep your unlimited plan when you upgrade to a iPhone 4.

Yes, AT&T is offering those with original iPhones, the $30 data plan when upgrading to a iPhone 4.

I activated an original iPhone with the $20 data plan yesterday just so I could still have the unlimited data plan and keep it when I upgrade.

For those who are worried and still have an original iPhone that is not activated, you can activate it today using iTunes and get the $20 unlimited data plan. AT&T is still offering the $20 data plan for the original iPhone and is not offering the 2GB plan at all fr this phone on new activations. This will allow you to keep your unlimited plan when you upgrade to a iPhone 4.

18 of 18 (735 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments